Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: ex-merseymariner, October 21, 2020, 7:27pm
Poor chap, all over national sports press about he is not in Arsenals squad and cant play for his circa 300k per WEEK salary.

He is whingeing about a lack of loyalty it seems. Really?

Anyway, are we supposed to feel sorry for him?
Ffs.

He should read the recent threads on here for some perspective.
Posted by: Cambridgefish, October 21, 2020, 7:35pm; Reply: 1
Quoted from ex-merseymariner
Poor chap, all over national sports press about he is not in Arsenals squad and cant play for his circa 300k per WEEK salary.

Ffs.

Arsenal wanted to keep him and offered a contract extension. (I thought £380k a week but whatever). He trains and is happy to play but they haven't put him in the squad for the Premier League or Champions League. I can't see what he's done wrong. Similar to Bale at Real Madrid really. Appalling decisions by the club who  then try and annoy the player to see if he will walk away from his contract. I'd happily play with the U23s  until the last day of my contract.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, October 21, 2020, 7:39pm; Reply: 2
You can't blame players for signing massive contracts. The blame is with the clubs paying that stupid money.

If I was earning £60k per year and my boss was treating me badly, giving me minimum wage duties to do but the only other jobs available to me were for half the money, who is the mug? Me for putting up with it or the employee for under utilising me?
Posted by: ex-merseymariner, October 21, 2020, 7:55pm; Reply: 3
Quoted from jamesgtfc
You can't blame players for signing massive contracts. The blame is with the clubs paying that stupid money.

If I was earning £60k per year and my boss was treating me badly, giving me minimum wage duties to do but the only other jobs available to me were for half the money, who is the mug? Me for putting up with it or the employee for under utilising me?

Both make good points and I am not defending arsenal, or madrid regarding bale. It's just when the player moans it seems a little daft. I get the point you cant blame the player, but this scenario was always likely, signs a deal, new manager comes in,  doesnt fancy the player, player not keen to leave....stalemate. zzz

Posted by: Gaffer58, October 21, 2020, 7:55pm; Reply: 4
Similar situation at Man U with Jones, evidently only just signed something like a 4 year contract and Solskar hasn’t picked him for his squad.
Posted by: promotion plaice, October 21, 2020, 8:00pm; Reply: 5

As has been said I can't see what Ozil has done wrong, obscene wages but if that's what he's been offered he isn't going to turn it down is he, would you?

And he offered to pay Gunnersaurus's wages   ;)
Posted by: jamesgtfc, October 21, 2020, 8:10pm; Reply: 6

Both make good points and I am not defending arsenal, or madrid regarding bale. It's just when the player moans it seems a little daft. I get the point you cant blame the player, but this scenario was always likely, signs a deal, new manager comes in,  doesnt fancy the player, player not keen to leave....stalemate. zzz

As someone permanently on show, it reduces what they can earn when they do move on. Ozil has been criticised for a lack of workrate though so I do understand some of the reason why this may be happening to him.

This kind of thng is exactly why Bennett is here.
Posted by: cardiffmariner, October 21, 2020, 9:51pm; Reply: 7

But your assuming just because he’s on 300k a week he can’t be anything but happy.

Whatever he’s paid doesn’t remove his right to complain about how his employers are treating him. Maybe he actually wants to do his job and play football. Or maybe he doesn’t like being scapegoated (which is where this all started some time ago).

As someone has already said, we’re quick to blame the player for taking the money but most of us would happily do the same given half a chance. The ridiculous amount of money at the top level isn’t the players fault, they’re just some of the lucky beneficiaries.
Posted by: moosey_club, October 21, 2020, 10:27pm; Reply: 8
Has hardly torn trees up over the last season or two has he? Looked a proper mardy twet when he has played, hardly made himself a first team pick as a result.

Posted by: Henryscat, October 22, 2020, 11:16am; Reply: 9
So ruddy bloody brave
Posted by: RichMariner, October 22, 2020, 12:16pm; Reply: 10
Ozil's career is going to peter out. Forgetting about the money, it's quite sad to see.

He looked a world-beater at Madrid, topping the assists chart season after season. An automatic pick for Germany too. Shortlisted for Ballon D'Or, brilliant understanding with Ronaldo.

Arsenal seemed a bit of an odd choice given that they weren't really competing for the Prem title and were clinging onto their Champions League days.

At 32 he should be playing week in, week out, with all his European and international experience.
Posted by: BobbyCummingsTackle, October 22, 2020, 12:45pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from cardiffmariner

But your assuming just because he’s on 300k a week he can’t be anything but happy.

Whatever he’s paid doesn’t remove his right to complain about how his employers are treating him. Maybe he actually wants to do his job and play football. Or maybe he doesn’t like being scapegoated (which is where this all started some time ago).

As someone has already said, we’re quick to blame the player for taking the money but most of us would happily do the same given half a chance. The ridiculous amount of money at the top level isn’t the players fault, they’re just some of the lucky beneficiaries.

Not arguing with you or picking a fight, I think you raise an interesting point.......I think the argument could be made that his employers aren't treating him badly (on the face of it, don't know about in the background). It is perfectly normal practice for players at a football club to have to compete for places in the first team and he hasn't been chosen in a process that is standard custom and practice. As far as we know he hasn't been a victim of prejudice, he's just been told that he's not good enough when compared to your work colleagues. And if he hasn't been picked because of his attitude that is still a fair way to make a selection as long as his failings have been noted and explained to him with the opportunity to change.
Posted by: Boris Johnson, October 22, 2020, 3:04pm; Reply: 12
Ozil is a good egg, does a lot for people less fortunate, he doesnt do enough of the donkey work when he plays, dont understand The Gunners keeping a player and paying him when they have no intention of playing him.
Posted by: Madeleymariner, October 22, 2020, 3:15pm; Reply: 13
CDAJATL ?  :)
Posted by: WayneBurnettsJockstrap, October 22, 2020, 3:36pm; Reply: 14
Its a pity Ollie cant get him in on loan without us having to pay a penny in wages. Ho hum
Posted by: BobbyCummingsTackle, October 22, 2020, 5:35pm; Reply: 15
Its a pity Ollie cant get him in on loan without us having to pay a penny in wages. Ho hum

If ever there was a player completely ill equipped to play in the English 4th division it's Mesut Ozil. He'd spend 90% of the game hiding from big centre halves and holding midfielders trying to kick lumps out of him.
Posted by: Rick12, October 22, 2020, 5:52pm; Reply: 16

Ffs.

I rate Ozil as a player but by all accounts some managers dropped him as  his his levels weren't consistent.

Lesson for us us all there. Ability can only can only get you so far but the true test is maintaining it. I remember reading about Ronaldinho who is my favourite player ever . For me an undoubted genius and should of got more than two world player of the year awards. He loved the limelight to much and partying and the advertising deals went to his head. Subsequently his standards fell and thats why according to reports Barcelona got rid of him .

Posted by: lee65, October 22, 2020, 6:47pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from Madeleymariner
CDAJATL ?  :)

I’m not actually sure he could, fast closing down, heavy tackles, poor referees, and bobbly pitches would be no good for him!  ;D
Posted by: Heswall Mariner, October 22, 2020, 7:34pm; Reply: 18
Obviously don't know the ins & outs of this one but I seem to recall he was the only player to refused a pay cut at the outset of lock down at Arsenal. His offer to pay the huge wages of Gunnersaurus seem a somewhat  cynical plot to curry favour with the fans.
Arsenal's hierarchy are as greedy as the rest in the Premier League but someone in this debacle is cutting off their face to spite their nose as the saying goes.
Posted by: Heswall Mariner, October 22, 2020, 7:35pm; Reply: 19
Or it the other way round!
Print page generated: March 28, 2024, 2:49pm