Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Numanoid, October 21, 2020, 10:30am
Sorry to hear of your loss of your mate,I'm so grateful you could find the strength to turn up to work even though you probably didn't feel like it, we unfortunately lostto a better team on the night but thank you for being here for us and your lads. You my sir are a diamond, and we are better for having you looking after our team.even when we lose because you care about us .so,keep your chin up mate and all the best  UTM
Posted by: WayneBurnettsJockstrap, October 21, 2020, 11:17am; Reply: 1
How about we, here at Fishy, show some support to 'our' Ollie, and raise a bit of money for him to give to charity for suicide prevention or mental health causes? Show him we care about him. Its never a good place to be in when someone so close chooses to take their life.
Posted by: Mikey_345, October 21, 2020, 11:24am; Reply: 2
How about we, here at Fishy, show some support to 'our' Ollie, and raise a bit of money for him to give to charity for suicide prevention or mental health causes? Show him we care about him. Its never a good place to be in when someone so close chooses to take their life.

Fantastic idea, I am up for that.

Posted by: AndyDarloFC, October 21, 2020, 11:28am; Reply: 3

Let me know when you get something set up, I'll shot some money in. Great idea.
Posted by: NorthseaMariner, October 21, 2020, 11:39am; Reply: 4
Me too, I’m up for that.
Posted by: WayneBurnettsJockstrap, October 21, 2020, 11:39am; Reply: 5
Oh FCUKING CHEWY ARSEBISCUITS

Ive just tried setting up a JustGiving page but it wont accept my account number for payments for some reason. Might be because I have a Building Society account rather than a Bank account. Who knows!

If anyone else can set one up I would appreciate it.

Do you think its worth starting a new thread so the idea can be seen?
Posted by: Limerick Mariner, October 21, 2020, 11:47am; Reply: 6

Fab idea. Mental health is the healthcare "elephant in the room" - with older people there is maelstrom coming, pension provision is inadequate for huge numbers of people, government hasn't a clue how to fund social care, and the mental health of our "generation z" is a major concern https://www.psychologytoday.com/gb/blog/think-act-be/201912/why-young-people-face-major-mental-health-crisis

Posted by: Brazilnut, October 21, 2020, 12:36pm; Reply: 7
count me in
Posted by: Sandford1981, October 21, 2020, 12:42pm; Reply: 8
I’m in
Posted by: Mandy Dunnit vs Hettie, October 21, 2020, 12:46pm; Reply: 9
Me too
Posted by: jamesgtfc, October 21, 2020, 1:36pm; Reply: 10
Great idea. Is it something to Trust can set up with Ollie's blessing?

Might get some national coverage that way and raise an amount to make everyone proud.
Posted by: Henryscat, October 21, 2020, 1:46pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from jamesgtfc
Great idea. Is it something to Trust can set up with Ollie's blessing?

Might get some national coverage that way and raise an amount to make everyone proud.

I’m not sure how the Mind “sponsorship” of the EFL works but I’m sure they’d get involved somehow
Posted by: Theimperialcoroner, October 21, 2020, 2:02pm; Reply: 12
Top idea.

I’d urge discretion at an emotional time for those involved though.
Posted by: Mikey_345, October 21, 2020, 2:06pm; Reply: 13
Be great if someone who has the know how could set something up.

Mental health is still seen as a ‘taboo’ subject but, especially at the moment, it is something that touches all of us or someone close to us at some point in our lives.
Posted by: WayneBurnettsJockstrap, October 21, 2020, 2:10pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from Theimperialcoroner
Top idea.

I’d urge discretion at an emotional time for those involved though.

Thats why I suggested raising the money to give to Ollie for his choosing of which charity to give it to, be it for suicide prevention, mental health, or ANY other charity that he thinks would benefit. Anything that makes him feel supported by us, and to support a worthy cause.

If a JustGiving appeal was set up, it can be timed for weeks or months down the line for the money to be available, so would be hopefully comfortably beyond the rawness of the emotions he feels now.

The be all and end all is that WE support HIM.
Posted by: 4055 (Guest), October 21, 2020, 2:15pm; Reply: 15
GOOD IDEA, IM IN.
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, October 21, 2020, 2:23pm; Reply: 16
I'm in, had issues of my own with mental health, always said I could deal with any disease or physical ailments but to deal with the your head when it's gone "pop" is so very difficult and to understand and in all honesty, admit your ill.
Posted by: Les Brechin, October 21, 2020, 2:24pm; Reply: 17
Rather than a Just Giving page, who take a percentage of what's donated how about a payment into one person and then we can set a deadline for donations and at the closing date make a presentation of the amount raised to Ollie.

I have run the buster for a number of years now and handled thousands of pounds of fishy posters money so I would be willing to be the one to accept the donations if you wanted.

I could then keep people up to date with a running total of money raised.

Just an idea.
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, October 21, 2020, 2:36pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from Les Brechin
Rather than a Just Giving page, who take a percentage of what's donated how about a payment into one person and then we can set a deadline for donations and at the closing date make a presentation of the amount raised to Ollie.

I have run the buster for a number of years now and handled thousands of pounds of fishy posters money so I would be willing to be the one to accept the donations if you wanted.

Just an idea.

Les, you are trusted and get what you are saying. I'm with you about ALL funds raised going to Ollie for him to distribute to charity as he feels fit.
I suppose it just puts pressure on you dealing with the handing out of your details by it if you can handle it then I think you should maybe set up a new thread and merge this one with it?
Posted by: HistonMariner, October 21, 2020, 2:44pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from Les Brechin

Just an idea.

Your credentials are proven.  I am behind you.  Top man.
Posted by: TheultimateMariner, October 21, 2020, 2:50pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from Northbank Mariner
I'm in, had issues of my own with mental health, always said I could deal with any disease or physical ailments but to deal with the your head when it's gone "pop" is so very difficult and to understand and in all honesty, admit your ill.

That is very true sir, I’m currently dealing with some mental
Health issues of my own, and it’s one of those things you don’t fully understand until it gets you, you don’t understand how low you might feel, and people can’t just ‘snap out of it’. My partner struggled with it a while back and I couldn’t understand and thought if it ever came for me, I would be able to handle it. I’m in touch with a therapist, and I’m seeing slow signs of progress, but at least it’s progress. I hope you’re feeling well now.
UTMM
Posted by: oochiad, October 21, 2020, 2:52pm; Reply: 21
I'm in, a great idea. It must have been very difficult for Ollie last night, top man.
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, October 21, 2020, 3:12pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from TheultimateMariner

That is very true sir, I’m currently dealing with some mental
Health issues of my own, and it’s one of those things you don’t fully understand until it gets you, you don’t understand how low you might feel, and people can’t just ‘snap out of it’. My partner struggled with it a while back and I couldn’t understand and thought if it ever came for me, I would be able to handle it. I’m in touch with a therapist, and I’m seeing slow signs of progress, but at least it’s progress. I hope you’re feeling well now.
UTMM

Good to hear you're on the mend, too true what you say, nobody sees it coming and it seems to sneak up on you with no symptoms until all of a sudden you're in a very dark place.
I have good and bad days, think the thing that gets me through now is knowing it won't last forever and understanding you can't "just snap out of it", ride the storm and enjoy the calmer tides, as they say.
Posted by: WayneBurnettsJockstrap, October 21, 2020, 3:16pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from Les Brechin

Just an idea.

While that sounds an excellent idea Les, would it be a viable option if this initial fundraising idea went beyond 'thefishy'? Im not savvy as to how you take payments, but maybe having some sort of website/webpage where a link can be made for everyone to visit and donate would be a more accessible option?

Posted by: Rick12, October 21, 2020, 3:20pm; Reply: 24
Well said. I like what other celebrities eg  Tyson Fury have been doing for this cause as well. He  came close to suicide as people may know. It was his children that kept him going. Its nice to see him come out the other side though. Just a shame what happened to some big people in football eg Gary Speed, Robert Enke and Justin Fashanu  .

All suicide victims are such a tragic waste of life.

RIP all of them.

Ive always felt no matter how bad things get never give up hope.
Posted by: Mikey_345, October 21, 2020, 3:27pm; Reply: 25

While that sounds an excellent idea Les, would it be a viable option if this initial fundraising idea went beyond 'thefishy'? Im not savvy as to how you take payments, but maybe having some sort of website/webpage where a link can be made for everyone to visit and donate would be a more accessible option?

Les’s credentials and trust ability is beyond reproach as has been demonstrated countless times. My main issue is as you say if this goes beyond the fishy and more wider to the fan base. I think a just giving page would be better purely for that reason.
Posted by: grimsby pete, October 21, 2020, 3:39pm; Reply: 26
From someone who has tried take their own life and received fantastic support from the fishy Chris MacKenzie being the main one  I know how the poor man must have felt.

Sadly all the love in the world goes out of your mind when you are in such a dark place.

Tablets help but the love of your family and friends hopefully stop you going into the black hole again.

There is no guarantee anything works but talking about your problems before things go too far does help.

My love and thoughts go out to his family and hi s friends with Ollie being badly effected by his loss.
Posted by: WayneBurnettsJockstrap, October 21, 2020, 3:42pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from Mikey_345

Les’s credentials and trust ability is beyond reproach as has been demonstrated countless times. My main issue is as you say if this goes beyond the fishy and more wider to the fan base. I think a just giving page would be better purely for that reason.

I dont doubt Les's credentials in the slightest, as he has been the go to money man long before I joined Fishy.

I have had a look at alternative donation sites and some dont take a penny from any donation, but do charge the donator a small 20p/25p fee on their card payment. On many you can also claim Gift Aid, so if a £10 danation was given, gift aiding it would take it up to £12.50, and only for a further 25p to you.
Posted by: WesternMariner, October 21, 2020, 3:45pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from Les Brechin

Just an idea.

Let us know how to send you the money Les and we’ll get started. Given the demographic of a lot of us on this site, sadly quite a few of us will have mates who have killed themselves. I think I’m right in saying that suicide is at its highest amongst blokes of a certain age and is also at its highest for a long time - you might almost say it’s an epidemic. It would be a good opportunity for us to show support for Ollie and do a bit of good at the same time.
Posted by: WayneBurnettsJockstrap, October 21, 2020, 3:53pm; Reply: 29
I dont normally talk about my struggles, but having read others posts, I have the impetus to open up. Its good to see others being open also.

I think many people, me included, have been to a very dark place in their lives at some point, through no fault of their own.

I thought I was coping, coping very well with my problems until one morning about 3am my wife woke to find me getting dressed, and on asking what I was doing, I told her I was going to drive my car into a wall. I have no recollection of that moment.

That morning, with my wife holding my hand while I was sat there crying, I phoned my Doctors and that is when I started on my long, dark, lonely, scary road to recovery.

I hate to think what would have happened if my wife hadnt woke up as I was sat on the edge of the bed. She has been my rock now for years.
Posted by: Sandford1981, October 21, 2020, 4:16pm; Reply: 30
Although progress has undoubtedly been made recently, I still think there is huge stigma around mental health but particularly male mental health. Every single attempted or completed suicide is one too many and with the right help   may have been avoidable.

Clearly every case is unique to the individual and a complex matter. I myself suffer with mental health issues and it’s a subject I’m passionate about. People being able to admit that anonymously to a large extent on here can make such a difference.

I know it’s a cliche but just realising you are not alone can be a break through for some and a relief to others. Having a connection of some sort cannot be underestimated. Having empathy and compassion for others who are going through rough times can be healing and just having the ability to share can help.

Perhaps giving its prevalence we should have a thread for it on here.
Posted by: Les Brechin, October 21, 2020, 4:39pm; Reply: 31

I dont doubt Les's credentials in the slightest, as he has been the go to money man long before I joined Fishy.

I have had a look at alternative donation sites and some dont take a penny from any donation, but do charge the donator a small 20p/25p fee on their card payment. On many you can also claim Gift Aid, so if a £10 danation was given, gift aiding it would take it up to £12.50, and only for a further 25p to you.

That is the advantage of a Just Giving page is that you can claim an extra 25% Giftaid if you are a tax payer, whereas any payment to me would be just that.

I am just offering my services if needed. I would just accept money as I do for the buster (ie via Paypal or bank transfer).  I don't mind either way so if someone wants to set up a Just Giving site I don't mind at all, and then as you say, the fundraising could then go "beyond The Fishy".
Posted by: tarka, October 21, 2020, 6:31pm; Reply: 32
Quoted from Les Brechin

That is the advantage of a Just Giving page is that you can claim an extra 25% Giftaid if you are a tax payer, whereas any payment to me would be just that.

I am just offering my services if needed. I would just accept money as I do for the buster (ie via Paypal or bank transfer).  I don't mind either way so if someone wants to set up a Just Giving site I don't mind at all, and then as you say, the fundraising could then go "beyond The Fishy".

I would be happy to support this in any way I can (and donate of course!). I was a mental health nurse for 40 years and came across some tragic situations. I also had issues of my own a few years ago which I won't go into.

I think you are right about Just Giving Les...although the regulars on here know you and trust you without reservation the gift aid swings it for me.
Posted by: toontown, October 21, 2020, 7:00pm; Reply: 33
I'm definitely up for supporting this. As others have mentioned male suicide is particularly high, and with this being an issue that is tragically so close to Ollie it would be good for us to help out and also try and raise awareness.
Posted by: ginnywings, October 21, 2020, 7:16pm; Reply: 34
I'm  another who has had issues around depression, so count me in for a donation too.
Posted by: WayneBurnettsJockstrap, October 21, 2020, 9:43pm; Reply: 35
Les I have sent you a private message re: JustGiving
Posted by: Mikey_345, October 21, 2020, 10:15pm; Reply: 36
Anyone any good with how you set up a JustGiving - not my strong point I’m afraid.
Posted by: WayneBurnettsJockstrap, October 21, 2020, 10:24pm; Reply: 37
Quoted from Mikey_345
Anyone any good with how you set up a JustGiving - not my strong point I’m afraid.

I've done one but I'm hopefully having Les check it out before I share it. Fingers crossed it'll be up tomorrow
Posted by: forza ivano, October 21, 2020, 11:00pm; Reply: 38
It a just giveing site is established we could then make contact with qpr, gashead and Blackpool forums to spread the message
Posted by: WayneBurnettsJockstrap, October 21, 2020, 11:16pm; Reply: 39
Quoted from forza ivano
It a just giveing site is established we could then make contact with qpr, gashead and Blackpool forums to spread the message

There are so many avenues that can be explored.

Colin Murray and the EFL On Quest posse

All the Town players on social media

Etc etc

The more people who can help to share, the better.

I have set the initial target as £500 but that can be altered as it progresses.
Posted by: jonnyboy82, October 22, 2020, 6:38am; Reply: 40
Sounds a brilliant idea and one that im very close too,  im living this everyday since my sister passed and covid has just added to all my mental health along with other issues which im sure other people are dealing with right now too.

I want to support ollie and the poor family but i know i can't so my next option is a donation to any charity ollie chooses.

I trust les brechin on here with anything when it comes to raising money and once we decide how we are doing this i am sending money too.

This mariners family never fails to amaze me x
Posted by: toontown, October 22, 2020, 6:44am; Reply: 41

There are so many avenues that can be explored.

Colin Murray and the EFL On Quest posse

All the Town players on social media

Etc etc

The more people who can help to share, the better.

I have set the initial target as £500 but that can be altered as it progresses.

Some really good ideas there wayne
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, October 22, 2020, 10:01am; Reply: 42
i'm late to the party, as i mainly try avoid the fishy after a defeat.

But this thread has cheered me up big time.

You guys are incredible, and a credit to yourselves and this club.

I've suffered in silent before through depression, and eventually spoke out, and i'm a lot better for it.

It really is true, speak to someone, anyone, it doesn't matter who, but the chances are they will listen, and make you progress in the right way!
Posted by: WayneBurnettsJockstrap, October 22, 2020, 10:32am; Reply: 43
New thread posted for the JustGiving appeal.
Posted by: cmackenzie4, October 22, 2020, 11:03am; Reply: 44
Quoted from grimsby pete
From someone who has tried take their own life and received fantastic support from the fishy Chris MacKenzie being the main one  I know how the poor man must have felt.

Sadly all the love in the world goes out of your mind when you are in such a dark place.

Tablets help but the love of your family and friends hopefully stop you going into the black hole again.

There is no guarantee anything works but talking about your problems before things go too far does help.

My love and thoughts go out to his family and hi s friends with Ollie being badly effected by his loss.

I’ll always do my best to help Pete, I’ll help anyone, having met you a few times Pete and having phone conversations with you I can honestly say you’re a great man, caring and kind.
Posted by: grimsby pete, October 22, 2020, 12:59pm; Reply: 45
Quoted from cmackenzie4

I’ll always do my best to help Pete, I’ll help anyone, having met you a few times Pete and having phone conversations with you I can honestly say you’re a great man, caring and kind.

Thanks Chris I like you too. :K)
Posted by: ginnywings, October 22, 2020, 1:36pm; Reply: 46
Get a (socially distanced) room you two. :P
Posted by: grimsby pete, October 22, 2020, 2:07pm; Reply: 47
Quoted from ginnywings
Get a (socially distanced) room you two. :P

I like you too Ginny  :K)
Posted by: tashee69, October 22, 2020, 2:31pm; Reply: 48
Quoted from cmackenzie4

Want to thank you too , just a few kind, supporting words, back in 2014, helped me get through a very tough period in my life
Posted by: Sandford1981, October 22, 2020, 4:50pm; Reply: 49
Just a heads up that a thread around mental health is now up and running in non football.
Print page generated: March 28, 2024, 3:07pm