Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Sandford1981, October 19, 2020, 7:51pm
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54597058

Posted by: It Bites, October 19, 2020, 8:22pm; Reply: 1
Do you not think 10 quid is too much for a lg2 game with one camera and a hit and miss service ?
Posted by: chipsandgravy, October 19, 2020, 8:27pm; Reply: 2
Quoted from It Bites
Do you not think 10 quid is too much for a lg2 game with one camera and a hit and miss service ?

No!
Posted by: denni266, October 19, 2020, 9:42pm; Reply: 3
No. not when its money going in to the club thats needed
Posted by: KingstonMariner, October 19, 2020, 10:05pm; Reply: 4
Great idea for them, as with the amount of money sloshing around in the Prem, their club doesn't need it.

Mind you, if we had a proper tax regime, there wouldn't need to be food banks. Over to you Boris.
Posted by: fishboyUTM, October 19, 2020, 10:12pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from It Bites

Not at all. I think it is incredible we can watch our beloved stripes on TV every game. Make my plans to retire abroad in the warmth more palatable as missing Town games was the big negative (and my mum I suppose lol).
Posted by: KingstonMariner, October 19, 2020, 10:17pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from chipsandgravy

No!

Next question!  ;D
Posted by: Azimuth, October 19, 2020, 10:54pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from KingstonMariner
Great idea for them, as with the amount of money sloshing around in the Prem, their club doesn't need it.

Mind you, if we had a proper tax regime, there wouldn't need to be food banks. Over to you Boris.

Please explain yourself when you say proper tax regime?
Do you mean higher taxes for those that work hard and earn more?
Posted by: KingstonMariner, October 20, 2020, 1:51am; Reply: 8
Quoted from Azimuth

Please explain yourself when you say proper tax regime?
Do you mean higher taxes for those that work hard and earn more?

I work hard an earn more. And yes I do mean higher taxes for the better off, including me.

Millions of people work as hard or harder than me in worse conditions but don’t earn much. Many don’t get paid enough to live decently on. I don’t see any great moral virtue about earning more money. Do you think those hard working poor people deserve less?

And don’t get me started on unearned wealth.

Are you proud of your country? One of the richest economies but one where we have good banks? Cos I’m flipping not. It’s a flipping disgrace.

If you’re ok with that you’re either a fool or have no compassion.
Posted by: aldi_01, October 20, 2020, 6:45am; Reply: 9
The fact we have food banks is a disgrace, the fact there are queues and plenty of people actually working having to use them is an even bigger disgrace.

I actually think £10 for iFollow is quite expensive given the inconsistent quality but I guess, as football has done for a number of years, it doesn’t matter, they know people will pay for it.

I don’t see it as a way of handing cash to my club (I mean our club has had its fair share of free cash this summer anyway), I see it as an opportunity to watch my club. I’m still waiting for reassurances from the current incumbents about the long term economic future of the club, after all, that was one of the big justifications in not selling to someone else.

I think Newcastle fans deserve some credit and aside from the Chelsea game, my understanding is that the pay per view games were not of highest quality. I’d love to see viewing figures. With all due respect to Newcastle, they aren’t a massive club but get a few fans but I can’t imagine more than 75000 people paying for it...
Posted by: pen penfras, October 20, 2020, 7:48am; Reply: 10
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Perhaps if Blair and Brown hadn't spunked all the countries money on nonsense when times were good, there might have been some sort of rainy day fund for the 2008 fallout. Then we wouldn't have interest payments on the debt that are greater than the national deficit. I guess that's all going to be small fry compared to what's to come, but that situation is hardly Boris' fault, no matter how idiotic he is. His budget was much more in line with New Labour than a typical Conservative one anyway.
Posted by: It Bites, October 20, 2020, 8:32am; Reply: 11
Quoted from denni266
No. not when its money going in to the club thats needed

Do they need it ? The owner is a multi millionaire isn't he ?
Posted by: ska face, October 20, 2020, 8:39am; Reply: 12
Quoted from pen penfras

Perhaps if Blair and Brown hadn't spunked all the countries money on nonsense when times were good, there might have been some sort of rainy day fund for the 2008 fallout. Then we wouldn't have interest payments on the debt that are greater than the national deficit. I guess that's all going to be small fry compared to what's to come, but that situation is hardly Boris' fault, no matter how idiotic he is. His budget was much more in line with New Labour than a typical Conservative one anyway.

this is definitely how an economy works, especially after a decade of being in power.
Posted by: BobbyCummingsTackle, October 20, 2020, 12:45pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from pen penfras

FFS! 8 of the last 50 years or so have had a Labour government but it's still Labour's fault!

Nothing can be laid at the door of Osborn, Cameron, May, Johnson?
Posted by: pen penfras, October 20, 2020, 12:51pm; Reply: 14

FFS! 8 of the last 50 years or so have had a Labour government but it's still Labour's fault!

[img]https://www.economicshelp.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/net-debt-political-92-2019.jpg.webp[/img]

I think that image says everything. The mess they inherited was always going to take decades to resolve, it's just no politician will get elected telling that truth.
Posted by: realist, October 20, 2020, 12:57pm; Reply: 15
Why is hardship the fault of the government?  Surely the employers only paying minimum wage are the biggest culprits.
I do sympathise with those that work hard for low pay. Perhaps we should cut benefits and give a lift to those in work.
Posted by: Gaffer58, October 20, 2020, 1:42pm; Reply: 16
On another note I see our hard working MP’s have been given something like a 3% pay rise, probably instead of giving them a pay rise when the country is broke we should all have gone outside at 8pm on a Tuesday evening and clapped them, I’m sure they would appreciate that more then the cash.
Posted by: rancido, October 20, 2020, 2:20pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from Gaffer58
On another note I see our hard working MP’s have been given something like a 3% pay rise, probably instead of giving them a pay rise when the country is broke we should all have gone outside at 8pm on a Tuesday evening and clapped them, I’m sure they would appreciate that more then the cash.

An independant body decides what pay MPs get. This was brought in after the expenses scandal so that MPs had no say in what they are paid. I have no beef about what MPs are paid but I do have  an issue with the House of Lords and some of the salaries for local authority administrators.
Posted by: ska face, October 20, 2020, 3:01pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from rancido

An independant body decides what pay MPs get. This was brought in after the expenses scandal so that MPs had no say in what they are paid. I have no beef about what MPs are paid but I do have  an issue with the House of Lords and some of the salaries for local authority administrators.

MPs have to vote on whether to accept the increase or not.
Posted by: tashee69, October 20, 2020, 3:05pm; Reply: 19
Turning into a non football thread
Posted by: RichMariner, October 20, 2020, 3:23pm; Reply: 20
I find it despicable that some of the richest people in this country try and find the loopholes that helps them avoid paying tax.

Just pay your flipping taxes — you've got plenty!

The poorest have to be earning a certain amount before they pay tax, but that's how the system has to work. If you can afford to pay taxes, then pay them. If you can't, then don't.

Taxes (among other things) are what keep this country going, and evolving, and growing. If you don't want to put money into a pot that's used to improve everyone's lives (ignoring, for the moment, the way politicians often mismanage this pot) then that makes you pretty selfish and goes against the 'spirit' of this country — the patriotism — that everyone bangs on about when we're faced with adversity.

But to keep this a football thread — great idea by the Newcastle fans. When you've got enough yourself, start helping others.
Posted by: rancido, October 20, 2020, 3:32pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from ska face

MPs have to vote on whether to accept the increase or not.

So if your employer asked you or your union, if you were a member one, whether your should accept a pay rise or not , what would their or your reaction be?
Posted by: realist, October 20, 2020, 3:33pm; Reply: 22

In your time period labour has been in power for 18 years. Every time they virtually bankrupted the country.
I know this is non football but it us in response to the few that never miss an opportunity to have a dig at a conservative government
Posted by: AussieMariner, October 20, 2020, 3:34pm; Reply: 23
Turning into a non football thread

Baldrick ! The only impression you can do is that of a man with no talent !!
GTFC team 09/10 - Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick.

I see Hanson's still out
Posted by: rancido, October 20, 2020, 3:38pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from RichMariner
I find it despicable that some of the richest people in this country try and find the loopholes that helps them avoid paying tax.

Just pay your flipping taxes — you've got plenty!

The poorest have to be earning a certain amount before they pay tax, but that's how the system has to work. If you can afford to pay taxes, then pay them. If you can't, then don't.

Taxes (among other things) are what keep this country going, and evolving, and growing. If you don't want to put money into a pot that's used to improve everyone's lives (ignoring, for the moment, the way politicians often mismanage this pot) then that makes you pretty selfish and goes against the 'spirit' of this country — the patriotism — that everyone bangs on about when we're faced with adversity.

But to keep this a football thread — great idea by the Newcastle fans. When you've got enough yourself, start helping others.

While I whole heartedly agree with you, sadly it is human nature that some people, regardless of wealth, will try to avoid paying tax. How many people have paid for a building/plumbing /decorating job "cash in" hand" or said "cash and don't put it through the books to avoid vat etc". We are all guilty - the principle is the same but it's just the amounts that differ.
Posted by: ska face, October 20, 2020, 4:01pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from rancido

So if your employer asked you or your union, if you were a member one, whether your should accept a pay rise or not , what would their or your reaction be?

Just correcting your incorrect statement.

If I were an MP on £81k a year (plus expenses), and I was expected to accept another £3,300 at the same time as supposedly saying there isn’t any money to feed kids over the school holidays, I’d probably say something similar to -

https://mobile.twitter.com/zarahsultana/status/1316081150885072896

Anyway, back to football, jumpers for goalposts, freshly cut grass, ahh marvellous, isn’t it? I paid a tenner on Saturday and felt like I got decent value for it, the stream was perfect and never cut out or froze. Not sure how I would’ve felt it we hadn’t got that last minute winner though.
Posted by: rancido, October 20, 2020, 5:31pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from ska face

Just correcting your incorrect statement.

If I were an MP on £81k a year (plus expenses), and I was expected to accept another £3,300 at the same time as supposedly saying there isn’t any money to feed kids over the school holidays, I’d probably say something similar to -

https://mobile.twitter.com/zarahsultana/status/1316081150885072896

Anyway, back to football, jumpers for goalposts, freshly cut grass, ahh marvellous, isn’t it? I paid a tenner on Saturday and felt like I got decent value for it, the stream was perfect and never cut out or froze. Not sure how I would’ve felt it we hadn’t got that last minute winner though.

Just to correct you, what I said was a rhetorical question and not a statement. You quoted a very noble gesture but how many  other MPs will follow that lead including Keir Starmer, Jeremy Corbyn or Dianne Abbott?
Posted by: ska face, October 20, 2020, 5:41pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from rancido

Just to correct you, what I said was a rhetorical question and not a statement. You quoted a very noble gesture but how many  other MPs will follow that lead including Keir Starmer, Jeremy Corbyn or Dianne Abbott?

“ MPs had no say in what they are paid” is not a rhetorical question.

Who cares what Diane Abbott or Sir Keith Starmer do? I fear you’re taking this off-topic, can someone PLEASE talk about the football?
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, October 20, 2020, 6:33pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from pen penfras

[img]https://www.economicshelp.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/net-debt-political-92-2019.jpg.webp[/img]

I think that image says everything. The mess they inherited was always going to take decades to resolve, it's just no politician will get elected telling that truth.

That image shows national debt was no worse under Labour until 2008 when a worldwide recession triggered by the banking sector necessitated huge stimulus packages. Should Blair have better regulated the banks? Of course. Would the Tories have supported that? Would they intercourse. It then shows that a decade of austerity which has caused poverty, misery and death for many of the most vulnerable in the country has done nothing to reduce that debt.

Bad tackle by Pickford at the weekend.
Posted by: rancido, October 20, 2020, 6:36pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from ska face

“ MPs had no say in what they are paid” is not a rhetorical question.

Who cares what Diane Abbott or Sir Keith Starmer do? I fear you’re taking this off-topic, can someone PLEASE talk about the football?

How ironical - how about you keeping it going
Print page generated: April 20, 2024, 12:32pm