Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Henryscat, September 28, 2020, 4:08pm
https://twitter.com/officialgtfc/status/1310595227766358016?s=21

Reading this we’ve had confirmation from the EFL we’ve done everything right
Posted by: pen penfras, September 28, 2020, 4:11pm; Reply: 1
Quoted from Henryscat
https://twitter.com/officialgtfc/status/1310595227766358016?s=21

Reading this we’ve had confirmation from the EFL we’ve done everything right

Let's hope they picked up the phone to that moaning illegitimate from Bradford and let him know first  ;D

I suppose if your job is Director of Communication, you're in a job with very little to actually do and probably the only person with that title in this division...
Posted by: pontoonlew, September 28, 2020, 4:21pm; Reply: 2
There’s something very odd going on here, the EFL need to come out and explain exactly why we’ve had different advice from everyone else.

The EFL statement suggests we’ve done this ourselves and it was our choice. So was this EFL advice at all or was it us using the government protocol instead?

One days training in 2 weeks before Bolton is essentially throwing that game away as well.
Posted by: promotion plaice, September 28, 2020, 4:23pm; Reply: 3

Chance to get more players back but we'll be playing two games a week now when others get a week off.....hmnnn
Posted by: WayneBurnettsJockstrap, September 28, 2020, 4:44pm; Reply: 4
It has really surprised me that the EFL have got back to us on this today. I was expecting it to take 3 or 4 days before they made a decision.

Well done EFL.......for a change (clap)
Posted by: ska face, September 28, 2020, 4:49pm; Reply: 5
Sounds like a risky strategy this - call your own games off then dare the EFL to take action against you.

Might work out, and the players have got a fortnight off to come back from injury, but it’s two weeks off the training pitch.

Also might go badly wrong & result in a points deduction.
Posted by: GrimRob, September 28, 2020, 4:54pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from pen penfras

Let's hope they picked up the phone to that moaning illegitimate from Bradford and let him know first  ;D

I suppose if your job is Director of Communication, you're in a job with very little to actually do and probably the only person with that title in this division...

Just gamemanship. He wanted to play us now when we're struggling. Complaining about a match "suddenly" getting called off with over a week to go. Hopefully, we'll stuff them in the rearranged game and they miss out on the play-offs by 1 point and he spends the rest of his life kicking himself.
Posted by: denni266, September 28, 2020, 5:03pm; Reply: 7
Have the players been sent home to isolate  or can they get out to get some miles in there legs etc ?
Posted by: pontoonlew, September 28, 2020, 5:04pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from GrimRob

Just gamemanship. He wanted to play us now when we're struggling. Complaining about a match "suddenly" getting called off with over a week to go. Hopefully, we'll stuff them in the rearranged game and they miss out on the play-offs by 1 point and he spends the rest of his life kicking himself.

There’s certainly gamesmanship going on but I’m not sure it’s from Bradford.
Posted by: grimps, September 28, 2020, 5:20pm; Reply: 9
Seems like we’re scared to play now , we’ve bought half our squad in the week before the season kicked off and have looked terrible in the games we’ve played .
Posted by: Mikey_345, September 28, 2020, 5:24pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from grimps
Seems like we’re scared to play now , we’ve bought half our squad in the week before the season kicked off and have looked terrible in the games we’ve played .

Off the pace yes, terrible far from it...
Posted by: WayneBurnettsJockstrap, September 28, 2020, 5:34pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from ska face
Sounds like a risky strategy this - call your own games off then dare the EFL to take action against you.

Might work out, and the players have got a fortnight off to come back from injury, but it’s two weeks off the training pitch.

Also might go badly wrong & result in a points deduction.

Two quotes today

"They say many EFL and National League clubs are now preparing to "cease playing... and put their business into administration"."

and

EFL chairman Rick Parry told BBC Radio 5 Live on Saturday that some clubs "are on the brink".

At this rate we might get promoted with a minus points total!!!!!!!! (100)(100)
Posted by: ginnywings, September 28, 2020, 5:42pm; Reply: 12
Bradford fans accusing us of all sorts of shenanigans on Bantam Talk.

Surely this decision has to come from the EFL, or with EFL blessing. We can't just postpone 3 games because we want to.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, September 28, 2020, 5:50pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from ginnywings
Bradford fans accusing us of all sorts of shenanigans on Bantam Talk.

Surely this decision has to come from the EFL, or with EFL blessing. We can't just postpone 3 games because we want to.

Probably fuelled by their communications director giving it the big one in the media.
Posted by: Mariner16, September 28, 2020, 6:01pm; Reply: 14
Some of these comments are laughable, and also tedious.

Why would we pull out of games because we haven't got fit players?  We've already played games with that in mind? We had 3 back at least last weekend, with a new signing in the squad. Where would players continue to get match time? It certainly ain't at home.

I think their director of communications person should stop being a moron, we're following guidelines and he and his club has failed to force/bully us into playing. There's a lack of leadership being shown yet again by the EFL, but that's no surprise now. I can't even see why they're investigating and on the talk from some of us losing points - why? If it happened we should take legal action.
Posted by: golfer, September 28, 2020, 6:13pm; Reply: 15
Who would want to play Bradford anyhow - half the City has got Covid
Posted by: Swansea_Mariner, September 28, 2020, 6:29pm; Reply: 16
So are we gonna get an official response to what Bradford are saying, bit like tennis this
Posted by: MarinerDevil, September 28, 2020, 6:32pm; Reply: 17
So predictable that this scenario doesn't have a clear solution.  

I don't really see why we would exploit the situation because of injury problems.  We had three players back for the Stevenage game and our main issue is match preparedness which will be exacerbated by two weeks at home.

Either way, I hope we've got our bases covered.
Posted by: hheh2, September 28, 2020, 8:10pm; Reply: 18
Bradford probably not even testing their players and stafe properly.
Posted by: ginnywings, September 28, 2020, 8:15pm; Reply: 19
Just been reported that there were 10 positive covid tests in the prem from 20th to 27th Sept. Affected people to self isolate for 10 days.

Seems to be different rules every time a case is reported.
Posted by: male private Nale, September 28, 2020, 8:28pm; Reply: 20
The wording of the EFL response definitely suggests it was Grimsby Town that have stated they cant fulfill the fixtures as oppose the EFL telling them they must not play.

This stinks of a blameless culture from the EFL , giving Grimsby no real option to play but stopping short of telling them to postpone.

What happens if in 16 days someone else tests positive after attending training, another 14 days or self isolating for everyone?
Posted by: GrimRob, September 28, 2020, 8:39pm; Reply: 21
Clubs are going to be tempted to encourage players with symptoms not to get tested just stay at home until they have gone. Seems like being honest and trying to do the right thing is being penalised. Doesn't help when sanctimonious officials from Bradford mouth off on the airways when the clubs should be sticking altogether.
Posted by: moosey_club, September 28, 2020, 8:51pm; Reply: 22
The wording suggests to me that they agree we have followed their and government guidance regards the ultimate decision we have taken so nothing further to worry about there.......but.....the wording also looks like we maybe didnt follow EFL protocols in the way we called off the Cheltenham game which i presume is what will be the focus of the investigation.

Posted by: Croxton, September 28, 2020, 10:49pm; Reply: 23
BBC 'West Yorkshire Sport Daily'  talking about Bradford possibly playing Cheltenham instead as their match v Leyton Orient is off.

About 53 mins in.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p08rfhx3
Posted by: GrimRob, September 28, 2020, 11:34pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from Croxton
BBC 'West Yorkshire Sport Daily'  talking about Bradford possibly playing Cheltenham instead as their match v Leyton Orient is off.

About 53 mins in.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p08rfhx3

I hope they have discussed this with Cheltenham. Outrageous that Cheltenham might hear this first on West Yorkshire Sport Daily
Posted by: scrumble, September 29, 2020, 10:44am; Reply: 25
Quoted from moosey_club
The wording suggests to me that they agree we have followed their and government guidance regards the ultimate decision we have taken so nothing further to worry about there.......but.....the wording also looks like we maybe didnt follow EFL protocols in the way we called off the Cheltenham game which i presume is what will be the focus of the investigation.

Are these protocols rules or just advice?

Posted by: Henryscat, September 29, 2020, 11:43am; Reply: 26
Quoted from moosey_club

Quite possibly but I read it as they have to do an investigation whenever a game is called off. The fact they’ve said we’ve followed their protocol means it’s an open and shut case IMHO
Posted by: denni266, September 29, 2020, 12:05pm; Reply: 27
I think more of a problem is bratsford thinking they can get the point just given to them . Think they should be watching there back doors as they are surrounded by the virus and will surley strike them down very soon. Kama IS a wonderfull thing
Posted by: headingly_mariner, September 29, 2020, 2:38pm; Reply: 28
Seems strange that we would be treated differently from other clubs and under investigation.  

Does anyone think we might not have followed the Covid guidance properly?

Might explain the drastic measures.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, September 29, 2020, 2:48pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from headingly_mariner
Seems strange that we would be treated differently from other clubs and under investigation.  

Does anyone think we might not have followed the Covid guidance properly?

Might explain the drastic measures.

The Walsall v Orient statement said the exact same thing at the weekend, it's just a copy and paste job. I think people are reading more into the investigation part than necessary.
Posted by: denni266, September 29, 2020, 4:30pm; Reply: 30
If a club  or employer sent workers / players to work knowing that they or have reason to believe they may be infected and can pass on what is known to be fatal in some cases i am sure the HSE would step in and have more than something to say. The EFL / clubs / firms have a duty in law to protect workers and the public from harm . that i believe is statute law like it or not . They are not above the law and could be held acountablel for there actions. And as i remember its not just an employer / firm that is accountable it can be an the one person that ordered it that would be in hot water..The only variant to that law as far as i know is a clause that says ,, as far as is reasonably practical .. And how much do you think a life is worth compared to a little  reshuffle of games .  Its about time and after 6 months of this the efl and clubs must sort out a protacol that is acceptable to all , and that it is clear and no loopholes that can be used  or hell is going to break loose
Posted by: TAGG, September 29, 2020, 5:17pm; Reply: 31
Did the club call off the game.
I'm confused
Posted by: moosey_club, September 29, 2020, 5:26pm; Reply: 32
I see that the Bradford buffoon of Communications has said should they have to postpone a game due to Covid "they would certainly go about it better than us" .....or similar.
He has certainly spat his dummy with us hasnt he?
Posted by: golfer, September 29, 2020, 7:13pm; Reply: 33
F'kit - I am not going to the revised game - that'll show 'em
Posted by: barrattstandman, September 29, 2020, 7:49pm; Reply: 34
Port Vale shutting down for 14 days due to Covid .
Surely the game cannot survive this . Over to you Bradford.
Posted by: Les Brechin, September 29, 2020, 7:55pm; Reply: 35
Quoted from barrattstandman
Port Vale shutting down for 14 days due to Covid .
Surely the game cannot survive this . Over to you Bradford.

It's only their academy teams though, doesn't affect the first team.

https://www.port-vale.co.uk/news/2020/september/club-announcement-port-vale-academy/
Posted by: aldi_01, September 29, 2020, 8:31pm; Reply: 36
I’m still confused, have we effectively called the game off because we can’t fulfil the fixture?

The inconsistency throughout this whole debacle has been so infuriating...
Posted by: Stadium, September 29, 2020, 8:36pm; Reply: 37
Quoted from aldi_01
I’m still confused, have we effectively called the game off because we can’t fulfil the fixture?

The inconsistency throughout this whole debacle has been so infuriating...

Following medical advice received from the EFL, our own medical team and in line with current Government guidelines, members of our first team playing and management staff continue to self-isolate due to a recent positive COVID-19 test being identified within the squad.  

Wonder what advice Stevenage were given........
Posted by: GrimRob, September 29, 2020, 9:02pm; Reply: 38
Quoted from Stadium

Following medical advice received from the EFL, our own medical team and in line with current Government guidelines, members of our first team playing and management staff continue to self-isolate due to a recent positive COVID-19 test being identified within the squad.  

Everybody claims to be complying with "Government guidelines" or some other amorphous authority. But it's a bit like saying "it's in the bible". The government guidelines, like the holy scriptures, are a mass of contradictions, written at different times by different people, and mainly communicated orally (absolutely nobody has read them, and certainly not the PM).
Posted by: male private Nale, September 29, 2020, 10:22pm; Reply: 39
Quoted from Stadium

Probably the same, it is only advice, what you do with that advice is entirely up to the individual club
Posted by: TAGG, September 29, 2020, 10:37pm; Reply: 40
Bloke were I work is positive. Non of us went home, isolated or shut the place down.
Lucky us commoners carry on because if we didn't the country would run out of food and medication within weeks.
flipping NANNY STATE balderdash
Posted by: pontoonlew, October 2, 2020, 9:04pm; Reply: 41
He’s deleted his tweet now but Mike White has suggested on Twitter that the real reason we may be different to the others in our quarantine rules is that we may have ballsed up with our protocols in training...
Posted by: aldi_01, October 2, 2020, 9:16pm; Reply: 42
Quoted from pontoonlew
He’s deleted his tweet now but Mike White has suggested on Twitter that the real reason we may be different to the others in our quarantine rules is that we may have ballsed up with our protocols in training...

Would anyone be surprised by this?
Posted by: Croxton, October 2, 2020, 10:55pm; Reply: 43
Quoted from pontoonlew

Just read through the training protocols. Clubs with lots of space, numerous anciliary staff, and time through early return for 'embedding' new routines have an advantage. A large car park also helps. The single biggest theme is distance. Lots of 'helpful ' charts to plan the safest drills and a requirement for every session to be logged for inspection by EFL where required. For our small staff at Cheapside it must be a nightmare.

Avoid indoor meetings, assess all staff and players as they arrive, instruct all players about new protocols, leave separately, etc.,etc. Without reading the whole thing in detail, it's difficult to make out how long each stage 1 and 2 last before 11v 11 is allowed and for how long. With Ollie 'flat out like a lizard's tongue' trying to sign his targets it will have put a heavy load on coaching staff.

If we only have one confirmed case, it's difficult to see how a breach of training protocol was the cause per se but to fine or dock points on a technicality would be harsh given the multiple cases elsewhere.
Bradford are baying for blood, claiming that Mr Day is leading a campaign to end the season. Satisfying their thirst, however, could saddle EFL with an awkward precedent. On the one hand they want to ensure the season finishes on time but, on the other, their guidance and protocols are wide open to misinterpretation.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, October 2, 2020, 11:03pm; Reply: 44
Quoted from Croxton

Just read through the training protocols. Clubs with lots of space, numerous anciliary staff, and time through early return for 'embedding' new routines have an advantage. A large car park also helps. The single biggest theme is distance. Lots of 'helpful ' charts to plan the safest drills and a requirement for every session to be logged for inspection by EFL where required. For our small staff at Cheapside it must be a nightmare.

Avoid indoor meetings, assess all staff and players as they arrive, instruct all players about new protocols, leave separately, etc.,etc. Without reading the whole thing in detail, it's difficult to make out how long each stage 1 and 2 last before 11v 11 is allowed and for how long. With Ollie 'flat out like a lizard's tongue' trying to sign his targets it will have put a heavy load on coaching staff.

If we only have one confirmed case, it's difficult to see how a breach of training protocol was the cause per se but to fine or dock points on a technicality would be harsh given the multiple cases elsewhere.
Bradford are baying for blood, claiming that Mr Day is leading a campaign to end the season. Satisfying their thirst, however, could saddle EFL with an awkward precedent. On the one hand they want to ensure the season finishes on time but, on the other, their guidance and protocols are wide open to misinterpretation.

Good Work Mr Croxton..... surely no “credible professional body” would penalise a club for a safety first approach to a potentially life threatening situation?

Then again I suppose it’s the EFL so they often disregard the “credible” so let’s see...
Posted by: Davec, October 3, 2020, 7:12am; Reply: 45
Day has made public his desire to cancel the season, could the EFL see us postponing games when others haven't a ploy to throw weight to the cancel the league argument and punish us accordingly?
Posted by: aldi_01, October 3, 2020, 8:51am; Reply: 46
I can honestly see a fine/points deduction coming our way. Whether that’s fair Or just is anyone’s guess but I can see it.

We can all argue the contradictions in the guidance and they’re plain as day to see, as they are in anything else, pubs, shops, schools and so on.

I guess with football, it has its own governing body/ruling body and thus, is probably clearly outlined in that what repercussions there are for clubs not fulfilling fixtures...did we seek any legal advice? Did we seek guidance from the league or did we just make the decision?
Posted by: pontoonlew, October 3, 2020, 9:05am; Reply: 47
Quoted from Croxton

I’m reading between the lines here but allowing Jock Curran to return to training with the team after mixing with his loan club strikes me as an error and could be what they’re getting at.
Posted by: Croxton, October 3, 2020, 9:22am; Reply: 48
Quoted from aldi_01
I can honestly see a fine/points deduction coming our way. Whether that’s fair Or just is anyone’s guess but I can see it.

We can all argue the contradictions in the guidance and they’re plain as day to see, as they are in anything else, pubs, shops, schools and so on.

I guess with football, it has its own governing body/ruling body and thus, is probably clearly outlined in that what repercussions there are for clubs not fulfilling fixtures...did we seek any legal advice? Did we seek guidance from the league or did we just make the decision?

Club statement Sept 25th.    'In line with medical advice received from the EFL.......'.  ( Cheltenham call off)

Club statement Sept 28th.    'Following medical advice received from the EFL.......'     ( Bradford and Hull)

Both carefully crafted sentences putting EFL advice before Town's medical advice. Much depends on whether the advice was communicated after the positive test or was just the generic blurb in EFL guidance to all clubs issued months ago.

The EFL will have known the result of Jock Curran's test at the same time as Town under the protocols. Same with Stevenage. If so, they perhaps could have fired off the first email?  

Please don't let Ryan Sparks, Radio Leeds, Stevenage and The Bradford Telegraph and Argus come out smelling of roses here.
Posted by: moosey_club, October 3, 2020, 9:31am; Reply: 49
Quoted from aldi_01

I think we should hold our hands up, say we fcked up and volunteer to the EFL that our record to date be expunged as a gesture of goodwill on our part.
Posted by: Ipswin, October 3, 2020, 10:02am; Reply: 50
Quoted from Croxton

Please don't let Ryan Sparks, Radio Leeds, Stevenage and The Bradford Telegraph and Argus come out smelling of roses here.

Do we really give a excrement?

Posted by: Ipswin, October 3, 2020, 10:05am; Reply: 51
Has Holloway (finally) lost his voice or is he just staying well out of all this? Very strange for him to keep his mouth shut
Posted by: Croxton, October 3, 2020, 10:11am; Reply: 52
Quoted from Ipswin

Do we really give a excrement?

Yes. If we have messed up at the training ground, then some redress may be due and it blows the conspiracy theorist's case.

If, however, we have tried to use one positive test to gain an advantage by postponing fixtures then we deserve all we get.

Posted by: aldi_01, October 3, 2020, 10:35am; Reply: 53
Sadly Croxton I’d imagine, given our track record is probably a bit of both.

The concern is, we were seemingly already playing catch up and will be now for a while.

Whilst we all know Ipswin’s view of Holloway, it is interesting, normally he’d be out talking and saying something, whether nonsense or not but he’s oddly quiet...
Posted by: Henryscat, October 3, 2020, 10:57am; Reply: 54
Quoted from aldi_01
Sadly Croxton I’d imagine, given our track record is probably a bit of both.

The concern is, we were seemingly already playing catch up and will be now for a while.

Whilst we all know Ipswin’s view of Holloway, it is interesting, normally he’d be out talking and saying something, whether nonsense or not but he’s oddly quiet...

I assume Ollie is self isolating so can’t have contact with the press?
Posted by: dicko995, October 3, 2020, 11:14am; Reply: 55
Mane from Liverpool has been tested positive, but they are still playing Villa tomorrow, along with other players from other clubs that are still playing, so what gives?, rules for one,and rules for others. EFL totally got this wrong. This season should never have started, its bringing demise to lower clubs, nonsense results, its senseless playing games in empty stadiums. Premier Clubs wont assist the lower divisions because theres nothing in it for them. The country needs either a full lockdown to rid the virus, or just say sod it and carry on as normal.
Posted by: Stadium, October 3, 2020, 12:03pm; Reply: 56
Quoted from dicko995
Mane from Liverpool has been tested positive, but they are still playing Villa tomorrow, along with other players from other clubs that are still playing, so what gives?, rules for one,and rules for others. EFL totally got this wrong. This season should never have started, its bringing demise to lower clubs, nonsense results, its senseless playing games in empty stadiums. Premier Clubs wont assist the lower divisions because theres nothing in it for them. The country needs either a full lockdown to rid the virus, or just say sod it and carry on as normal.

Many PL players have tested positive & the protocol is to self isolate but this doesn't extend to the whole club.
The PL are testing all staff & players regularly unlike the lower leagues.
So there are always going to be different rules between the PL & the EFL.
Can you explain why the EFL have the policy 'totally wrong" when there is only one game postponed across the three divisions today?
Both your suggested options on the pandemic are non starters as the perceived government policy is local restrictions.
Posted by: aldi_01, October 3, 2020, 1:01pm; Reply: 57
Quoted from Henryscat

I assume Ollie is self isolating so can’t have contact with the press?

Does he not have a phone/Social media/email etc...
Posted by: aldi_01, October 3, 2020, 1:04pm; Reply: 58
Quoted from Stadium

Many PL players have tested positive & the protocol is to self isolate but this doesn't extend to the whole club.
The PL are testing all staff & players regularly unlike the lower leagues.
So there are always going to be different rules between the PL & the EFL.
Can you explain why the EFL have the policy 'totally wrong" when there is only one game postponed across the three divisions today?
Both your suggested options on the pandemic are non starters as the perceived government policy is local restrictions.

I don’t think the EFL have anything wrong, confusing perhaps but not really wrong. As a club we’ve decided we don’t want to pay for testing as we clearly don’t see it as a necessity...out of interest, assuming we’d have pulled say 2/3000 iFollow subscribers today (I appreciate some have essentially paid up front via packages and STs) would testing and getting the game on cost us more or less?

The PL have set their guidance, the EFL the same. Naturally it is being interpreted differently and as with schools for instance, everyone has an opinion but nobody a entirely wrong.

However, Days public statement about curtailing the season seems rather foolish given only one game is affected because of Covid today...it’s hardly ruining it as so many are saying...
Posted by: Ipswin, October 3, 2020, 1:12pm; Reply: 59
Quoted from Croxton

Yes. If we have messed up at the training ground, then some redress may be due and it blows the conspiracy theorist's case.

If, however, we have tried to use one positive test to gain an advantage by postponing fixtures then we deserve all we get.

Either way do we care what local Bradford and other local rags and opposition directors etc think of it. It's a matter between us and the EFL and I am concerned that your second option may well be the right one, if not actually gaining an advantage lets just say it suits us nicely
Posted by: Ipswin, October 3, 2020, 1:15pm; Reply: 60
Quoted from aldi_01

Does he not have a phone/Social media/email etc...

I imagine Holloway would normally be in touch with the press and radio even if he has to do it by post or semaphore

Posted by: Madeleymariner, October 3, 2020, 2:40pm; Reply: 61
In the end I thought the current     Govt legislation  says if you have been in close contact with someone that tested positive you have to self isolate for 10 days, thus I would have expected any club that did not test all its players/coaching staff etc nearly every day would have to have them all self  isolate otherwise they are open to a fine of up to £1000 each. Forget EFL guidance just follow the law. :-/
Print page generated: March 28, 2024, 10:05am