Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: norfuk mariner, September 23, 2020, 10:25am
Excellent article in todays Times complimenting the GTFC faithful.
Posted by: GrimRob, September 23, 2020, 10:33am; Reply: 1
It was actually yesterday but here's the opening

I didn’t really want to sign for Grimsby Town. I’d played in the Football League — in all three tiers beneath the Premier League — for more than a decade. Dropping out of the professional ranks into the National League was, if I’m honest, a bit of a dent to my pride. An unfashionable town on the north Lincolnshire coast wasn’t the most alluring place to play, but it was all there was.

Grimsby, however, as vividly as any of the six clubs I represented during my career, showed me just what a football club means to its town. To its people. Not all of them of course. But as a place where people congregate in their hundreds or thousands, a central pillar of a community, nothing comes close in provincial towns.
Posted by: ginnywings, September 23, 2020, 10:47am; Reply: 2
Any way of reading the article without a subscription to the Times?
Posted by: PB, September 23, 2020, 11:26am; Reply: 3
Quoted from ginnywings

It’s actually in today’s paper so yes, just buy The Times today 😉
Posted by: ginnywings, September 23, 2020, 11:35am; Reply: 4
Quoted from PB

It’s actually in today’s paper so yes, just buy The Times today 😉

Wise-behind.  ::)
Posted by: GrimExile, September 23, 2020, 11:37am; Reply: 5
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/dc6f3c02-fd04-11ea-8388-5bae8b4ec9a9?shareToken=62451b9c39024ed64674fbc6d7947370
Posted by: ginnywings, September 23, 2020, 11:41am; Reply: 6
Quoted from GrimExile

Thank you.
Posted by: toontown, September 23, 2020, 11:42am; Reply: 7
Always impressed by Gregor's articles when I've read them.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, September 23, 2020, 11:54am; Reply: 8
Quoted from ginnywings

You can register for a free subscription but only get a very limited amount of articles. If you only read the Gregor Robertson articles it's fine for that.

I would read The Times a lot more but it's a very expensive subscription.
Posted by: ginnywings, September 23, 2020, 12:03pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from jamesgtfc

You can register for a free subscription but only get a very limited amount of articles. If you only read the Gregor Robertson articles it's fine for that.

I would read The Times a lot more but it's a very expensive subscription.

Thanks. It's not a paper I read normally.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, September 23, 2020, 12:12pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from ginnywings

Thanks. It's not a paper I read normally.

His articles are a great read. Wouldn't surprise me if he turns up at The Athletic eventually.
Posted by: Abdul19, September 23, 2020, 12:16pm; Reply: 11
Really good read, that. (although packing out BP is pushing it at bit ;))
Posted by: KingstonMariner, September 23, 2020, 12:28pm; Reply: 12
Good article but a shame it got some typical Times reader responses. Not all Times readers mind you, but there’s still a hangover of ‘if it doesn’t pay its own way its not worth saving’ mentality. Or ‘football should put its own house in order’. In an ideal world it should, but the governing bodies of British football are no longer fit for purpose.
Posted by: lee65, September 23, 2020, 1:55pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from KingstonMariner
Good article but a shame it got some typical Times reader responses. Not all Times readers mind you, but there’s still a hangover of ‘if it doesn’t pay its own way its not worth saving’ mentality. Or ‘football should put its own house in order’. In an ideal world it should, but the governing bodies of British football are no longer fit for purpose.

I guess that's understandable when you consider that lower / non league football means nothing to many people, so I think it's really great that someone like Gregor (with a decent and rising profile as a journalist) keeps banging the drum, and the connection to us is a nice bonus too.
Similarly, I've just caught Look North at lunchtime, and (living in Yorkshire) they were talking about the plight of some rugby league teams and my initial thought (uncaringly) was "so what", but I then realised that is how the majority of people would view our plight really  :-/
Posted by: moosey_club, September 23, 2020, 5:48pm; Reply: 14
Harry Kane sponsors Orient ......

Orient forefit cup game against Spurs......

(Confused)

Print page generated: March 29, 2024, 5:44am