Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Hagrid, September 21, 2020, 2:54pm
Confirm that a number of First team players have tested positive- played Mansfield saturday and tested positive monday so would think those 2 clubs will have to isolate a large number of players, possible postponements  in the league
Posted by: Grantham_Mariner, September 21, 2020, 3:27pm; Reply: 1
So the positive ones must self isolate for 10 days (If they had no symtoms), but all the negative one have to self isolate for 14 days?

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/testing-and-tracing/what-your-test-result-means/

So if they can not play Tottenham in the cup, they will have to forfeit the game as there would not be time to play it before the next round! The next round can not be delayed due to fixture congestion!

If they miss next Saturday's league game, and the one after that it will be very difficult to fit the fixtures in later!

And I do not think we have seen the worst yet, I worry for football this season (And everyones health as well).

KEEP SAFE EVERYONE !
Posted by: psgmariner, September 21, 2020, 3:31pm; Reply: 2
Void the season!
Posted by: Heisenberg, September 21, 2020, 4:00pm; Reply: 3
Quoted from psgmariner
Void the season!

I’m with you on that!
Posted by: moosey_club, September 21, 2020, 4:34pm; Reply: 4
Teams are only required to field their strongest available team arent they?
If they have 14 other pro's available then they have enough players dont they?

Harsh but it's only similar to having injuries and suspensions, if they cant fulfill a fixture due to this then forfeit.
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, September 21, 2020, 4:38pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from psgmariner
Void the season!

Yet people are quibbling still about town insisting on putting the Covid clause into the contracts of players  
Posted by: Les Brechin, September 21, 2020, 4:46pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from psgmariner
Void the season!

Not if they're going to use the current tables!
Posted by: denni266, September 21, 2020, 6:00pm; Reply: 7
There is  no way i can see this season being played out to the end on the grass . Tomorrow we will learn a lot about what is going to happen lock down wise to start with..This virus is far to dangerious to take chances with . We are going to be on lockdown  then relax and repeat  relax untill a vaxcine is found that works.  
Posted by: Gaffer58, September 21, 2020, 6:07pm; Reply: 8
Think town best start getting points on the board before it all comes to a stop, like last season, and relegation, don’t think we will be bothering promotion, is decided by points per game scenario, there again if they use the algorithm that was used for the GCSE’s etc we may come out as champions!!!
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, September 21, 2020, 6:24pm; Reply: 9
I think my prediction of starting with fans about this time has hit the buffers.

A very cautious government relying on worst case scenarios all the time means a second lockdown of sorts is likely and that can only damage the chances of restarting with fans in the stadiums.

I see the town of Newport has been locked down, so I guess local restrictions like that will also have a detrimental effect on the season.
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, September 21, 2020, 6:24pm; Reply: 10
It should never have started ! Absolutely ridiculous to think that this season wouldn’t descend into a farce . It’d have been so much better for L1 & 2 to have gone into a years hibernation . It’s probably made a lot of clubs far more likely to go bust by attempting to play with all the costs involved from signing new contracts to the actual cost of playing games with no match day income .
Posted by: pen penfras, September 21, 2020, 6:32pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from louth_in_the_south
It should never have started ! Absolutely ridiculous to think that this season wouldn’t descend into a farce . It’d have been so much better for L1 & 2 to have gone into a years hibernation . It’s probably made a lot of clubs far more likely to go bust by attempting to play with all the costs involved from signing new contracts to the actual cost of playing games with no match day income .

Absolutely, and the reason was something to do with Sky making them play. Doesn't make much sense, because there's not many games on and nobody watches them in L1 or 2.
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, September 21, 2020, 6:38pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from pen penfras

Absolutely, and the reason was something to do with Sky making them play. Doesn't make much sense, because there's not many games on and nobody watches them in L1 or 2.

I was going to add this actually. Sky need the relegation and promotion in and out of the Premier or they don’t have a competition to sell . So everyone else can go fook themselves.
L1&2 could’ve missed a season to protect themselves. It would just mean the championship wouldn’t have had relegation. That would actually have made it even better as every team could’ve really had a go without the threat of relegation to L1
Posted by: devs, September 21, 2020, 6:47pm; Reply: 13
About zero chance of fans being allowed back this season...
Until we get a vaccine and test and trace works - I've just seen a pig flying past the house - we are all stuffed
Unless you have parents in Barnard Castle or like grouse shooting
Posted by: Grantham_Mariner, September 21, 2020, 6:47pm; Reply: 14
I see the town of Newport has been locked down, so I guess local restrictions like that will also have a detrimental effect on the season.

So are BIRMINGHAM - OLDHAM - BLACKBURN - BRADFORD - ROCHDALE - MANCHESTER - TRAFFORD - SALFORD - BOLTON & LEICESTER !

Posted by: Stadium, September 21, 2020, 7:57pm; Reply: 15
Cup game looks to be called off:

https://www.footballinsider247.com/exclusive-tottenham-told-clash-v-leyton-orient-called-off-win-given/

Probably the beginning with the EFL scaling back testing.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8736551/Premier-League-club-forced-pay-EFL-Cup-rivals-coronavirus-test.html
Posted by: Welwynmariner, September 21, 2020, 8:41pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from Gaffer58
Think town best start getting points on the board before it all comes to a stop, like last season, and relegation, don’t think we will be bothering promotion, is decided by points per game scenario, there again if they use the algorithm that was used for the GCSE’s etc we may come out as champions!!!

Last season was quite a long way through and so points per game was a reasonable basis for the outcome. This season has barely started so it wouldn't be reasonable until everyone had played every other side at least once.

The L1 and 2 clubs will struggle without fans being allowed back in at least to some extent. Can't see this happening at Newport, Bolton, Bradford and so on for quite a while, although places like Town and Colchester might be able to let home fans in. Others will have to rely on video streaming income which might be a problem.
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, September 21, 2020, 8:46pm; Reply: 17
There’s no advantage financially to letting home fans in for Town . In fact the opposite in reality . People who’ve bought season tickets should be applauded for their loyalty knowing full well this would probably happen but I’m guessing they bouts STs as they’re Town through and through and realise the absolute need for their financial support to get the club through this storm
Posted by: Poojah, September 21, 2020, 11:00pm; Reply: 18
The majority of the Leyton Orient squad have now tested positive, and several played against Mansfield at the weekend despite not feeling well. The whole thing is a mess - no way is football at League Two level going to work under the current circumstances.

Players aren’t required to take a test unless they show symptoms, which seems flawed given that young, professional athletes are the least likely to show symptoms. Under these conditions, how long before a player with a previously undiagnosed health condition ends up seriously ill or worse?

The current testing regime in the EFL is scandalous and borne out of financial limitations despite the potential for loss of life. Let’s not forget that many of the non-playing staff at these clubs are not necessarily young and / or in peak physical condition.

Either can the season at this level, or find a way to finance a proper testing program for clubs and players.

Article here
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/sep/21/leyton-orient-covid-19-carabao-cup-tottenham-spurs
Posted by: KingstonMariner, September 21, 2020, 11:31pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from Gaffer58

We’d lose out on that too. Marked down for poor recent history and also from an impoverished area.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, September 21, 2020, 11:33pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from louth_in_the_south

I was going to add this actually. Sky need the relegation and promotion in and out of the Premier or they don’t have a competition to sell . So everyone else can go fook themselves.
L1&2 could’ve missed a season to protect themselves. It would just mean the championship wouldn’t have had relegation. That would actually have made it even better as every team could’ve really had a go without the threat of relegation to L1

That’s no different to other drivers of decisions since lockdown was eased. It’s all been about driving revenue. Pubs before schools. Pret A Manger before proper test and trace systems.
Posted by: monkeyboy, September 22, 2020, 8:25am; Reply: 21
So did any of the players have symptoms? are any desperately ill?

Surely if they had any symptoms they should have rang in sick like we all do?

I understand some think this Virus is armageddon but its not. fair enough keep your vulnerable tucked away but let it take its path and build some immunity. if we dont we will be in this predicament for decades.
There will be no bloody football
Posted by: Grantham_Mariner, September 22, 2020, 8:27am; Reply: 22
Quoted from monkeyboy
So did any of the players have symptoms? are any desperately ill?

Surely if they had any symptoms they should have rang in sick like we all do?

I understand some think this Virus is armageddon but its not. fair enough keep your vulnerable tucked away but let it take its path and build some immunity. if we dont we will be in this predicament for decades.

I hope you never get Chris Witty's job !

Posted by: monkeyboy, September 22, 2020, 8:37am; Reply: 23
Quoted from Grantham_Mariner

I hope you never get Chris Witty's job !

Well hes done a great job, people are so scared its unbelievable. Mental health problems are now a bigger danger to life than the virus and thats been caused by the media.
Seriously though this has got out of hand.  the figures on mortality really dont support the actions taken, the first lockdown yes maybe as they didnt know what they were dealing with.  the mortality rate is now around the same as flu. less than .5 in a hundred fatal.
Complete overkill imo .

Do you like living like this? not doing things like going to the football? having your basic freedoms taken away ?  

Im no conspiracist at all and do believe the virus is here just its not half as bad as first portrait by the media.
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, September 22, 2020, 8:43am; Reply: 24
Quoted from monkeyboy

Well hes done a great job, people are so scared its unbelievable. Mental health problems are now a bigger danger to life than the virus and thats been caused by the media.
Seriously though this has got out of hand.  the figures on mortality really dont support the actions taken, the first lockdown yes maybe as they didnt know what they were dealing with.  the mortality rate is now around the same as flu. less than .5 in a hundred fatal.
Complete overkill imo .

Do you like living like this? not doing things like going to the football? having your basic freedoms taken away ?  

Im no conspiracist at all and do believe the virus is here just its not half as bad as first portrait by the media.

I’ll reiterate Granthams previous reply 😂😂😂😂
Posted by: ginnywings, September 22, 2020, 9:04am; Reply: 25
Quoted from monkeyboy

Complete overkill imo .

For those of us in a more vulnerable category, football and going for a pint can fook right off for now.
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, September 22, 2020, 9:13am; Reply: 26
For what it’s worth here’s my take on how dangerous Covid is.
In a bad flu year there can be up to 20,000 deaths . If the government locked down like this year there would probably be a couple of thousand.
In a bad pandemic year 😂 like this total lockdown still led to nearly 50,000 .
That’s how seriously it should be taken .
Posted by: Poojah, September 22, 2020, 9:15am; Reply: 27
Quoted from monkeyboy

Complete overkill imo .

It's clearly a divisive issue - how dangerous this virus is. Look, 2020 has been shít - I'd love to have a proper holiday, to go down the pub in a normal environment, to go to watch Town, Christ - to be in the bloody office (and I never thought I'd say that)! The reality is, this virus may not be armageddon for each and every one of us but it's serious enough to warrant action being taken.

At it's peak, it was responsible for almost 10,000 additional deaths per week in the UK:

[img]https://e3.365dm.com/20/06/768x432/skynews-uk-deaths-excess-deaths_5014521.jpg?20200616111207[/img]

Let's not forget, that figure peaked there only because the entire nation went into total hibernation, something none of us want to experience again. I don't dispute that there are some issues with how deaths were attributed to Covid-19, or that deaths weren't also caused by denial of urgent medical treatment or the impact on mental health caused by the pandemic. And yeah, you can argue that it was mainly the old and infirm that were taken down - but that's mainly, there were still enough others who weren't already sat in God's waiting room who lost their lives.

The reason that hospitalisations remain relatively low right now (albeit both are rising) is that case numbers and therefore viral load in the community are at a fraction of where they were in March, irrespective of what graphs in the media tell you (testing levels back then are incomparable). But by default the virus spreads exponentially. The reality is this; left to its own devices the virus will simply kill too many people to turn a blind eye.

The more out of hand you let it get in the first place, as we did in the Spring, the tougher the actions have to be to stop its spread. Having to go into a full lockdown again would be cataclysmic for our economy. The cruel irony is that young people are the most immune to Covid 19's physical effects, but most vulnerable to its knock-on economic impact.

Perhaps that's their frustration, and that's understandable. But there is a societal duty to not let tens if not hundreds of thousands of people die unnecessarily. We wouldn't accept it in the face of a more visible, definable threat such as terrorism, so why this?

This is by no means a nod in favour of our government. I think they've handled 99% of this abhorrently and are continuing to make a mess. My argument is merely that the notion that we should be able to crack on with our lives as we did prior to March of this year is dangerously flawed.

I want my life back as much as anyone. I also want my mum and dad to be around for as long as possible, too.
Posted by: Hagrid, September 22, 2020, 9:17am; Reply: 28
Quoted from ginnywings

For those of us in a more vulnerable category, football and going for a pint can fook right off for now.

i find myself in the vulnerable category Ginny, in terms of going for a pint i couldnt give a intercourse, but return of football i was really looking forward too, something to focus your mind on. just another kick in the teeth but i can see why its had to be put in place, i just want the club to survive
Posted by: ginnywings, September 22, 2020, 9:48am; Reply: 29
Quoted from Hagrid

i find myself in the vulnerable category Ginny, in terms of going for a pint i couldnt give a intercourse, but return of football i was really looking forward too, something to focus your mind on. just another kick in the teeth but i can see why its had to be put in place, i just want the club to survive

I know where you are coming from. It's akin to when I had to stop playing footy due to injury. I was gutted for months, probably years afterward, but other things come along to fill the gaps. Hill walking for me.

Love to watch Town of a weekend, but if there's no game, I'm off into the wilds.

The club will survive. The fans won't allow it to die.
Posted by: carrot top, September 22, 2020, 10:07am; Reply: 30
So we can fly on a plane in a confined space or have a few pints in a pub, but can't go to an open air football match well distanced from other people. It just doesn't make sense. I too am supposed to be in the vulnerable category but if a sensible approach is observed I am prepared to go
Posted by: LH, September 22, 2020, 12:25pm; Reply: 31
“We should get over covid and just carry on as normal”

- people not willing to follow medical and scientific advice in order to get back to normal as quickly as possible.
Posted by: The_Laughing_Mariner, September 22, 2020, 3:41pm; Reply: 32
It's not just sitting in the ground, it's all leaving together, havig pre match pint and fish and chips etc.  
Posted by: Ipswin, September 22, 2020, 4:28pm; Reply: 33
Quoted from monkeyboy

intercourse football, it's just not that important, Get drunk at home and shout at some fornicator over the garden fence on a Saturday afternoon

Idiot!

Posted by: ginnywings, September 22, 2020, 4:28pm; Reply: 34
It's not just sitting in the ground, it's all leaving together, havig pre match pint and fish and chips etc.  

Thousands doing that on the sea front as we speak, just been down there. Add in a phased entrance and exit to the ground and you're sorted. Not saying it is right or wrong, but the inconsistency around what you can and can't do is mind boggling.
Posted by: Stadium, September 22, 2020, 5:05pm; Reply: 35
Off

https://www.leytonorient.com/2020/09/22/efl-statement-leyton-orient-v-tottenham-hotspur/
Posted by: Stadium, September 22, 2020, 5:06pm; Reply: 36

Exactly this,social interaction.
People don't seem to understand the simple principle.
Posted by: toontown, September 22, 2020, 6:11pm; Reply: 37
Quoted from Stadium

Exactly this,social interaction.
People don't seem to understand the simple principle.

None of this is prevented currently. It's just prevented in conjunction  with football. Makes no sense.
Posted by: Stadium, September 22, 2020, 7:37pm; Reply: 38
Quoted from toontown

None of this is prevented currently. It's just prevented in conjunction  with football. Makes no sense.

Don't know were you have been lately but regulations have been issued to prevent it.
They used a catchy strapline "hands face space"
Obviously whether they are actually been followed and/or working is another topic.
Posted by: toontown, September 22, 2020, 8:20pm; Reply: 39
Quoted from Stadium

Don't know were you have been lately but regulations have been issued to prevent it.
They used a catchy strapline "hands face space"
Obviously whether they are actually been followed and/or working is another topic.

You said a pre match pint or fish and chips.

That's is completely legal (in groups of up to 6) so whether it's done on the way to football should not be an issue.
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, September 22, 2020, 8:26pm; Reply: 40
[quote=54]

intercourse football, it's just not that important, Get drunk at home and shout at some fornicator over the garden fence on a Saturday afternoon

Idiot!

In 2017-18 there were 50,000 extra deaths over winter compared to the rest of the year, mainly because of the cold weather, a virulent strain of flu and an ineffective vaccine. During this time we all continued to live our lives as normal with the unfortunate vulnerable ones amongst us paying the ultimate cost.

Can society cope with yet more lockdowns? The economic effects alone are catastrophic without others such as mental well-being and whilst the numbers testing positive is increasing admissions to hospitals for people with Covid is marginal and there appears evidence that many of the much improved tests are showing people who had the virus without knowing some time ago, as positive from dead cells that remain In their system.

The way forward is clearly uncertain but We a country should now be in a position to protect the vulnerable whilst the remainder can, with some increased levels of common sense, try to get on with life and some kind of normality and not fear.
Posted by: Stadium, September 22, 2020, 8:55pm; Reply: 41
Quoted from toontown

You said a pre match pint or fish and chips.

That's is completely legal (in groups of up to 6) so whether it's done on the way to football should not be an issue.

Yes and regulations around those activities control social interaction.
Such as social distancing in a takeaway or table service in a bar/pub.
You missed out accessing and exiting the stadium and movements within.
Posted by: toontown, September 22, 2020, 11:22pm; Reply: 42
Quoted from Stadium

Yes and regulations around those activities control social interaction.
Such as social distancing in a takeaway or table service in a bar/pub.
You missed out accessing and exiting the stadium and movements within.

Yes and those regulations apply whether you are going to a football match after the chip shop / pub or ifyouvare visiting a friend's house to watch footy on tv. But if you are outside at a stadium you are demonstrably safer than at the friends house.

The leaving part is fair enough but not insurmountable to have one row leave then another etc. Again if all wearing face masks it is safer than the situation inside such as a shop.

It's not going to happen though obviously after what they have just announced. Just makes little sense to me when other counties can do it and outside is proven safer than inside.
Posted by: male private Nale, September 22, 2020, 11:37pm; Reply: 43
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56
[quote=54]

Idiot!

In 2017-18 there were 50,000 extra deaths over winter compared to the rest of the year, mainly because of the cold weather, a virulent strain of flu and an ineffective vaccine. During this time we all continued to live our lives as normal with the unfortunate vulnerable ones amongst us paying the ultimate cost.

Can society cope with yet more lockdowns? The economic effects alone are catastrophic without others such as mental well-being and whilst the numbers testing positive is increasing admissions to hospitals for people with Covid is marginal and there appears evidence that many of the much improved tests are showing people who had the virus without knowing some time ago, as positive from dead cells that remain In their system.

The way forward is clearly uncertain but We a country should now be in a position to protect the vulnerable whilst the remainder can, with some increased levels of common sense, try to get on with life and some kind of normality and not fear.

Well said
Print page generated: March 29, 2024, 10:22am