Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: promotion plaice, September 15, 2020, 10:52pm

After the disappointing result against Walsall and some would say performance let's hope we can up it against Salford and get a result.

At where we are now I think I'd take a point just to take the early pressure off but three would be great.

Thoughts?
Posted by: Poojah, September 15, 2020, 11:04pm; Reply: 1
Salford are away at Everton tomorrow night. Even without a crowd you'd expect them to put out a strong side - it's just too dangerous against Premier League opposition, second string or not. The gulf between Chelsea and our first team this time last year was absolutely astonishing.

Assuming they put out something close to their best side, there can be no excuses on Saturday - at least not fitness related ones. I felt coming into this season that we might see some strange results throughout the leagues early doors, and while there haven't been as many as I thought Lincoln beat Bradford 5-0 at Valley Parade this evening, despite the Bantams having more possession, more shots and more corners.

Physical conditioning has probably never been more important in professional football than it is right now. For once in these weird and frustrating times we appear to have an advantage on Saturday - it's important we take it and build some momentum.
Posted by: Rick12, September 16, 2020, 6:53am; Reply: 2
Think its going to be tough as Salford are  backed up by serious investors.
Posted by: WayneBurnettsJockstrap, September 16, 2020, 7:12am; Reply: 3
Quoted from Rick12
Think its going to be tough as Salford are  backed up by serious investors.

Now that the wage cap has been brought in, money shouldn't come into it as much now.

I mean, it's not like they have a billionaire backer and we have got two brass farthings to rub together, is it?

Oh, hang on..........
Posted by: Rick12, September 16, 2020, 7:14am; Reply: 4

Now that the wage cap has been brought in, money shouldn't come into it as much now.

I didnt realise that.Thanks for the information.

Posted by: jaygy, September 16, 2020, 7:39am; Reply: 5
Quoted from Poojah
Salford are away at Everton tomorrow night. Even without a crowd you'd expect them to put out a strong side - it's just too dangerous against Premier League opposition, second string or not. The gulf between Chelsea and our first team this time last year was absolutely astonishing.

Assuming they put out something close to their best side, there can be no excuses on Saturday - at least not fitness related ones. I felt coming into this season that we might see some strange results throughout the leagues early doors, and while there haven't been as many as I thought Lincoln beat Bradford 5-0 at Valley Parade this evening, despite the Bantams having more possession, more shots and more corners.

Physical conditioning has probably never been more important in professional football than it is right now. For once in these weird and frustrating times we appear to have an advantage on Saturday - it's important we take it and build some momentum.

I'm sure exeter said the same after we played chelsea midweek last season....
Posted by: Abdul19, September 16, 2020, 8:06am; Reply: 6
Rumour has it that Salford are part owned by some former Man Utd players. Anyone else heard this?
Posted by: Poojah, September 16, 2020, 8:37am; Reply: 7
Quoted from jaygy

I'm sure exeter said the same after we played chelsea midweek last season....

Very different circumstances. No clubs have been able to have what you would call a normal pre-season and players at this level are still recovering from going five months from being able to play or even train competitively.

To go from virtually nothing to playing Saturday, Wednesday, Saturday is incredibly tough on players’ bodies, particularly when your opposition has had a week of recovery.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, September 16, 2020, 10:54am; Reply: 8
Quoted from Poojah

Very different circumstances. No clubs have been able to have what you would call a normal pre-season and players at this level are still recovering from going five months from being able to play or even train competitively.

To go from virtually nothing to playing Saturday, Wednesday, Saturday is incredibly tough on players’ bodies, particularly when your opposition has had a week of recovery.

I don't want to speak to soon but if we win on Saturday, Macca taking our last penalty could turn out to be a good decision...
Posted by: Ipswin, September 16, 2020, 11:22am; Reply: 9
Quoted from jamesgtfc

I don't want to speak to soon but if we win on Saturday, Macca taking our last penalty could turn out to be a good decision...

Or if someone else had stepped up we would have a home tie with Newcastle lined up

Posted by: jamesgtfc, September 16, 2020, 11:28am; Reply: 10
Quoted from Ipswin

Or if someone else had stepped up we would have a home tie with Newcastle lined up

A home tie with Newcastle in a competition that pays virtually no prize money and in front of no fans.
Posted by: Ipswin, September 16, 2020, 11:44am; Reply: 11
Quoted from jamesgtfc

A home tie with Newcastle in a competition that pays virtually no prize money and in front of no fans.

Any prize money is important at any time but especially at the moment and anyway we're never going to get to the real money stages of any competition are we?

And I don't think Lincoln are complaining
Posted by: Gaffer58, September 16, 2020, 12:56pm; Reply: 12
Being at home to Newcastle would be very enticing for Sky, the appearance fee would be something, afraid thats why I thought we should have taken the Morecambe game more seriously, plus a team winning breeds confidence and morale for future games.
Posted by: pen penfras, September 16, 2020, 1:00pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from Gaffer58
Being at home to Newcastle would be very enticing for Sky, the appearance fee would be something, afraid thats why I thought we should have taken the Morecambe game more seriously, plus a team winning breeds confidence and morale for future games.

How did we not take it seriously? We played our best available players and lost on penalties.
Posted by: Ipswin, September 16, 2020, 1:09pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from pen penfras

How did we not take it seriously?

I think asking a goalkeeper to take a vital penalty when there were so called strikers on the pitch is evidence of that

Posted by: WayneBurnettsJockstrap, September 16, 2020, 1:49pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from Ipswin

I think asking a goalkeeper to take a vital penalty when there were so called strikers on the pitch is evidence of that

After all the complaining he did preseason saying about playing every Tuesday and Saturday for 4 weeks, I think Ollie will have been secretly happy that we lost as losing has freed up three consecutive Tuesdays and gives us more training time to build up fitness without having to exert themselves too much.
Posted by: monkeyboy, September 16, 2020, 2:26pm; Reply: 16
Having all that money didn’t work out for them last year or indeed Mansfield.
Salford also have a lot of new signings so maybe aren’t gelling yet, anything could happen.
Posted by: monkeyboy, September 16, 2020, 2:26pm; Reply: 17
Salford also have a lot of new signings so maybe aren’t gelling yet, anything could happen.
Posted by: monkeyboy, September 16, 2020, 2:26pm; Reply: 18
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, September 16, 2020, 2:30pm; Reply: 19
That echo's back on this thread!..🤭🤭
Posted by: Posh Harry, September 16, 2020, 6:17pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from Ipswin

I think you mean that IF someone else took a penalty and IF they scored and then IF a morecambe player then missed a penalty and then IF a town player then scored, we would have a home tie against Newcastle.

Your version is more simple, but doesn’t really tell the whole story does it.
Posted by: Ipswin, September 16, 2020, 6:22pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from Posh Harry

I think you mean that IF someone else took a penalty and IF they scored and then IF a morecambe player then missed a penalty and then IF a town player then scored, we would have a home tie against Newcastle.

Your version is more simple, but doesn’t really tell the whole story does it.

As I appear to be the only one on here or in the management of the club who is remotely bothered that we lost I don't suppose it matters really.

Posted by: Poojah, September 16, 2020, 7:33pm; Reply: 22
Salford have put out their strongest available lineup at Everton tonight. They're going to either have to change things up or play some tired legs on Saturday (probably both in reality).

We need to leave some pace on the bench for the later stages of the game.
Posted by: Abdul19, September 16, 2020, 7:34pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from Posh Harry

I think you mean that IF someone else took a penalty and IF they scored and then IF a morecambe player then missed a penalty and then IF a town player then scored, * we would have a home tie against Newcastle.

* then IF we'd beaten Oldham
Posted by: Ipswin, September 16, 2020, 8:10pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from Abdul19

* then IF we'd beaten Oldham

Morcambe managed it so they can't be all that

Posted by: tashee69, September 16, 2020, 9:16pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from Ipswin

Wouldn’t we had been drawn away at West Brom, as the teams were put alphabetically, and therefore we’d have been the number Harrogate were
Posted by: promotion plaice, September 16, 2020, 9:46pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from Poojah
Salford have put out their strongest available lineup at Everton tonight. They're going to either have to change things up or play some tired legs on Saturday (probably both in reality).

We need to leave some pace on the bench for the later stages of the game.

You would expect Ollie and the players will be watching tonight's game as well, maybe another slight advantage.

Posted by: Croxton, September 17, 2020, 9:28am; Reply: 27
Quoted from promotion plaice

You would expect Ollie and the players will be watching tonight's game as well, maybe another slight advantage.

They would be impressed by their new keeper. Vaclav Hladky.

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/12073719/everton-3-0-salford

Scouted by Rangers , Celtic and Polish Champs Legia Warsaw this summer.

https://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/18590038.ex-st-mirren-star-vaclav-hladky-wanted-legia-warsaw-polish-champions-eye-move-celtic-target/
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, September 17, 2020, 9:43am; Reply: 28
Quoted from Croxton

You ask any self respecting professional footballer, given the choice you can play European football or for the second biggest team in Scotland or 4th tier English football, it’s a no brainier

They simply ask themselves, Who’s paying the most  ?
Posted by: Abdul19, September 17, 2020, 12:53pm; Reply: 29
Especially as those other clubs might not have actually offered him anything.
Posted by: Ipswin, September 17, 2020, 1:46pm; Reply: 30
Quoted from tashee69

Wouldn’t we had been drawn away at West Brom, as the teams were put alphabetically, and therefore we’d have been the number Harrogate were

Are you that desperate for something to do FFS? Sad

Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, September 17, 2020, 2:16pm; Reply: 31
Quoted from Ipswin

I’d suggest going back to bed, getting out the other side. Grabbing a brew and chilling the fu(k out
Posted by: tashee69, September 17, 2020, 5:16pm; Reply: 32
Quoted from Ipswin

No, not sad. I just know the facts. To me, you’re the sad one. Having to come on here and try to insult the person that has just corrected you. We’re supposed to learn from mistakes we all make, not just sulk and then name call.
Posted by: Ipswin, September 17, 2020, 8:09pm; Reply: 33
Quoted from tashee69

No, not sad. I just know the facts. To me, you’re the sad one. Having to come on here and try to insult the person that has just corrected you. We’re supposed to learn from mistakes we all make, not just sulk and then name call.

I haven't insulted you at all If I'd called you a girl private that would be different

Print page generated: April 19, 2024, 11:40am