Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: blundellpork, August 12, 2020, 10:22pm
Interesting interview with him on 5Live half an hour ago. During furlough he took a part time job as a takeaway delivery driver, and worked night shifts at Tesco. A world away from the Premier League.
Posted by: promotion plaice, August 12, 2020, 10:57pm; Reply: 1
Quoted from blundellpork
Interesting interview with him on 5Live half an hour ago. During furlough he took a part time job as a takeaway delivery driver, and worked night shifts at Tesco. A world away from the Premier League.

Anyone got a link, I worked for for Tesco's for 13 years poor sod   ;D

Posted by: blundellpork, August 12, 2020, 11:00pm; Reply: 2
Quoted from promotion plaice

Anyone got a link, I worked for for Tesco's for 13 years poor sod   ;D

It was this show, about 7-8 minutes in-

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000lrtq

Posted by: Belfast Town, August 13, 2020, 7:58am; Reply: 3
Excellent interview - thank you for sharing this.

Honourary mention for Town fans from the presenter at the end.
Posted by: diehardmariner, August 13, 2020, 9:49am; Reply: 4
Saw something on Twitter earlier this summer where a Wrexham fan tweeted out a picture of him getting his takeaway delivered by Shaun.

I think it highlights the gulf between the levels in the game but also sums up Shaun as a bloke.  

I'm still not over us not renewing his contract. :o
Posted by: Garth, August 13, 2020, 12:03pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from diehardmariner
Saw something on Twitter earlier this summer where a Wrexham fan tweeted out a picture of him getting his takeaway delivered by Shaun.

I think it highlights the gulf between the levels in the game but also sums up Shaun as a bloke.  

Me neither, would like him back one day in some sort of capacity, not pizza delivery, before it someone starts
Posted by: Numanoid, August 13, 2020, 12:44pm; Reply: 6
I think if he was here with ollie as manager he would never been allowed to leave, I think he's exactly the type of person on and off the pitch that ollie likes.
Posted by: pen penfras, August 13, 2020, 12:56pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from Numanoid
I think if he was here with ollie as manager he would never been allowed to leave, I think he's exactly the type of person on and off the pitch that ollie likes.

Competely agree that he was a wonderful role model. I don't think he was really good enough for league 2 though. Not bad by any means, but just not good enough for us to push on like we hoped to.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, August 13, 2020, 4:43pm; Reply: 8
Shaun was a lot better than the player who replaced him...
Posted by: RichMariner, August 13, 2020, 5:10pm; Reply: 9
If you want to get anywhere in life, the best thing to do is roll your sleeves up and work.

I absolutely love Shaun — he probably doesn't need to be told that there was a limit to his ability but he's made the most of what he's got from football.

He's more of a role model than 99% of those playing in the Premier League.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, August 13, 2020, 5:35pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from blundellpork

Doesn't surprise me in the least, good honest had working bloke and on the couple of occasions I met him really nice too.  
Posted by: Tommy, August 13, 2020, 5:50pm; Reply: 11
The daftest thing about the whole episode of letting Pearson go, was that he'd just played his best football that season.

He was out of the team a bit early on but from christmas onwards he was in the team and playing to a higher standard than he ever did with us.
Posted by: headingly_mariner, August 13, 2020, 5:55pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from Tommy
The daftest thing about the whole episode of letting Pearson go, was that he'd just played his best football that season.

He was out of the team a bit early on but from christmas onwards he was in the team and playing to a higher standard than he ever did with us.

Absolutely. He was more than comfortable at the level.

You don’t let characters like that leave if you can help it.
Posted by: supertown, August 13, 2020, 6:09pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from Tommy

One of the worst GTFC decisions ever
Posted by: Grantham_Mariner, August 13, 2020, 6:13pm; Reply: 14
LEGEND
Posted by: Poojah, August 13, 2020, 6:24pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from diehardmariner

Fully agree. I take some solace in that his final appearance for us was so quintessentially “Shauno”...

[youtube]sfpg02myxjc[/youtube]
Posted by: 123614 (Guest), August 13, 2020, 6:35pm; Reply: 16
FFS, not this again!  If he was the legend you are describing him as, then how come he didn't get signed by another League 2 team or a League 1 team!  He didn't, he ended up in the Conference, and that seems to suit him.  They finished 20th in the National League last season, so he's not even playing for a top National League side!  3 years ago he left, and STILL some people think he should still be here!
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, August 13, 2020, 6:52pm; Reply: 17
Met him a couple of times really nice bloke but a club legend narh not for me , just a decent non league player
Posted by: moosey_club, August 13, 2020, 7:34pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from 123614
FFS, not this again!  If he was the legend you are describing him as, then how come he didn't get signed by another League 2 team or a League 1 team!  He didn't, he ended up in the Conference, and that seems to suit him.  They finished 20th in the National League last season, so he's not even playing for a top National League side!  3 years ago he left, and STILL some people think he should still be here!

Where somebody goes onto or whatever they do career wise after they leave us has no bearing on how we should judge them, Disley went on to play for Cleethorpes Town....therefore he isnt a legend ??

Not saying Shaun Pearson is a legend but he was a quintessential old style centre back who gave his all and would lay his body on the line.....after a few seasons of some of the worst centre halves i have ever seen in the black and white.........also did alot of great work for the club in the community.

Legend maybe not but a great servant.
Posted by: toontown, August 13, 2020, 7:57pm; Reply: 19
An indisputably poor decision to replace him with that Muppet centre back who I can't even remember the name of.
Posted by: AussieMariner, August 13, 2020, 8:03pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from toontown
An indisputably poor decision to replace him with that Muppet centre back who I can't even remember the name of.

Nathan Clarke?
Posted by: toontown, August 13, 2020, 8:11pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from AussieMariner

Nathan Clarke?

Thats him. Really shite at league 2 level, by the time he joinef us, slow, lack of concentration, poor positioning and probably quite expensive too. Moronic lazy slade decision to change Pearson for him.
Posted by: BottesfordMariner, August 13, 2020, 8:55pm; Reply: 22
The interview shows what a class act Shaun Pearson is.

A great leader and always did his bit for the community whilst at Town.. A great servant to the club.

He will always have a warm welcome  in this part of the world.
Print page generated: May 4, 2024, 10:00pm