Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Henryscat, August 11, 2020, 6:03pm
https://www.grimsby-townfc.co.uk/news/2020/august/jackson-signs-for-the-mariners/
Posted by: Meza, August 11, 2020, 6:03pm; Reply: 1
[tweet]1293230853070389248[/tweet]
Posted by: TheRealJohnLewis, August 11, 2020, 6:10pm; Reply: 2
https://twitter.com/IraJacksonJr/status/1243614919137857539
Posted by: Tinymariner, August 11, 2020, 6:16pm; Reply: 3
Impressive show reel from last season!
Posted by: The_Laughing_Mariner, August 11, 2020, 6:17pm; Reply: 4
No headers in that lot,
Looks to have a trick or two
Hope he's better than or last two strikers called Jackson!

Welcome Ira
Posted by: Posh Harry, August 11, 2020, 6:21pm; Reply: 5
Looks to be 2 footed which helps.

No need for sarcasm about he would be rubbish with only one foot.

Sarcasm is the lowest form of whit. Shame it’s the funniest 🙂

UTMM
Posted by: sonofmadeleymariner, August 11, 2020, 6:22pm; Reply: 6
Looks tricky, left foot right foot, hope he can make the step up welcome Ira
Posted by: forza ivano, August 11, 2020, 6:25pm; Reply: 7
Has certainly done the rounds at non league level.
http://www.folkestoneinvictafc.co.uk/player-ira-jackson-jr
Posted by: Tommy, August 11, 2020, 6:29pm; Reply: 8
Watched the first few goals but then stopped as the standard of defending looks absolutely awful.

Anyone can have a YouTube compilation video made to make them good. We've seen some players come in over the last 5 years who looked quality on their agents video of them, only for them to be poor at this standard. So I'll judge him in L2.

This isn't a negative post at all, I'm always excited when we sign someone who's been prolific at a lower level to see if they end up like a Hearn/Bogle. Sounds like he's got his head screwed on and has a good mindset too.
Posted by: Kris2, August 11, 2020, 6:33pm; Reply: 9
Like his attitude, seems to have a decent head on his shoulders, good values and has the desire to go full time pro. Seems like he's been playing part time while finishing up his education which seems like a very sensible thing to do. Hope he'll make the step up to full time league football and do well for us.
Posted by: Grantham_Mariner, August 11, 2020, 6:40pm; Reply: 10
Reminded me of Omar the way he took some of his goals.
Posted by: dicko995, August 11, 2020, 6:44pm; Reply: 11
Praise the Lord ....
Posted by: Youngy, August 11, 2020, 6:55pm; Reply: 12
I'm more pleased with his record and attitude then his compilation video. Educated lad, wants to progress his career and clearly has ambition.

Looks like an ideal foil for Hanson.
Posted by: Poojah, August 11, 2020, 7:07pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from Grantham_Mariner
Reminded me of Omar the way he took some of his goals.

I thought similar. Worth keeping in mind of course he’s playing a level below where Omar was when we signed him, while we are a level above. It’s an extra two divisions, and even Omar was raw early on in his time with us.

That’s not to write him off. The likes of Jamie Vardy and Andre Gray came from equally low levels (if not lower) and did alright. I just think we may see a few more signings of this kind this season, and we’ll need to be patient as they adjust to a significantly higher standard of opposition.
Posted by: forza ivano, August 11, 2020, 7:18pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from Tommy
Watched the first few goals but then stopped as the standard of defending looks absolutely awful.

Anyone can have a YouTube compilation video made to make them good. We've seen some players come in over the last 5 years who looked quality on their agents video of them, only for them to be poor at this standard. So I'll judge him in L2.

This isn't a negative post at all, I'm always excited when we sign someone who's been prolific at a lower level to see if they end up like a Hearn/Bogle. Sounds like he's got his head screwed on and has a good mindset too.

God knows what you'll think about the defending in the halesowen lads video🤣🤣🤣🤣
Posted by: WetFlannel, August 11, 2020, 7:27pm; Reply: 15
Looks to have a good technique, and a great attitude. Definitely deserves a chance to play at pro level. Now it’s up to him to take it and prove he deserves to be here. Hope he excels.
Posted by: coddy60, August 11, 2020, 8:07pm; Reply: 16
Montel Gibson on twitter liking the GTFC posts about Mohsni and Ira signing
Posted by: WayneBurnettsJockstrap, August 11, 2020, 8:07pm; Reply: 17
Ira Jackson Jr

Striker
Right Winger
Left Winger

Penalty taker
Free kick taker
Runs at and takes on opposition
Two footed
Goal scorer

................and he has signed for us.............yes........US!!!
Posted by: 140381 (Guest), August 11, 2020, 8:11pm; Reply: 18
He sounds great. Level headed intelligent lad with enthusiasm. And he genuinely looks like he wants to be here. Really hope he does well.
Posted by: 140381 (Guest), August 11, 2020, 8:19pm; Reply: 19
His name will fit the “Omar bogle” song. Another good sign.
Posted by: Welwynmariner, August 11, 2020, 8:43pm; Reply: 20
Saw him play last season and he's a handful for defenders.

It's still a big step up to League 2 but let's hope he makes it.
Posted by: Heswall Mariner, August 11, 2020, 9:21pm; Reply: 21
Mmm Really sounds like the sort Ollie is seeking. - intelligent grounded & has listened to his Dad rather than some money grabbing agent. Ollie has done his homework on this lad - 2 years + 1 option sounds like a serious commitment here.
Posted by: Stew0_0, August 11, 2020, 9:30pm; Reply: 22
Sounds like the same kind of approach as when we signed Tilley. Get the father involved, sell the club and improve his game in a 2 contract with option to exercise extension. Looks like we are getting in some technically and academically clever players in.
Exciting times
Posted by: Boris Johnson, August 11, 2020, 9:47pm; Reply: 23
Massive step up for the lad, but this looks a bit of a gamble. Hope he does well
Posted by: AdamHaddock, August 11, 2020, 10:18pm; Reply: 24
The defending at the beginning of that video was shocking but as it goes on you see what Ira is about. Good movement, pace, makes runs, solo goals and the odd curler. I'm excited about this one
Posted by: grimsby pete, August 11, 2020, 10:39pm; Reply: 25
Welcome  Ira enjoy your stay.
Posted by: The Yard Dog, August 11, 2020, 10:56pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from Boris Johnson
Massive step up for the lad, but this looks a bit of a gamble. Hope he does well

I prefer a gamble on a younger player, rather than a journey man looking to top up his pension fund.

Experience at the back with goals, raw talent up front.
Posted by: promotion plaice, August 11, 2020, 11:42pm; Reply: 27

This is the start of a new Ira.....

....Taxi  
Posted by: Poojah, August 11, 2020, 11:49pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from promotion plaice

This is the start of a new Ira.....

....Taxi  

Careful...  

Posted by: 140067 (Guest), August 12, 2020, 11:01am; Reply: 29
Played 29 scored 33. OK lower level but that's good to start with.
Posted by: forza ivano, August 12, 2020, 11:02am; Reply: 30
https://fifc.proboards.com/thread/6443/ira-jackson-grimsby

Thread from the folkestone invicta forum
Posted by: Boris Johnson, August 12, 2020, 11:29am; Reply: 31
Quoted from forza ivano
https://fifc.proboards.com/thread/6443/ira-jackson-grimsby

Thread from the folkestone invicta forum

thread is being a bit generous.....looks like 8 posts,  but I get the drift
Posted by: Heswall Mariner, August 12, 2020, 12:29pm; Reply: 32
Ollie's comment that he will become a 'saleable asset' dismays me. I know it is now a fact of life for us relative minnows & Ollie speaks the truth. If he bags a few goals early on he'll probably be gone in the January window to enable us to survive. Sorry to sound so gloomy.
Posted by: Heswall Mariner, August 12, 2020, 12:34pm; Reply: 33
Anybody know if we paid a fee for him?
Posted by: Kris2, August 12, 2020, 12:44pm; Reply: 34
Quoted from Heswall Mariner
Ollie's comment that he will become a 'saleable asset' dismays me. I know it is now a fact of life for us relative minnows & Ollie speaks the truth. If he bags a few goals early on he'll probably be gone in the January window to enable us to survive. Sorry to sound so gloomy.

Seems a little bit generous. I'd be surprised if he suddenly comes in and is a cut above L2 like Dembele was, he's been a part timer for the most part so there will be an adjustment period in quality of opposition and the fitness levels required. Maybe in a year or two he'll attract attention from higher up and command a decent fee. I doubt Holloway is putting that kind of pressure on him either.
Posted by: Boris Johnson, August 12, 2020, 12:47pm; Reply: 35

60 pieces of Cod, and a frozen bag of peas
Posted by: WayneBurnettsJockstrap, August 12, 2020, 3:28pm; Reply: 36

According to the Folkestone Invicta forum, Ira wasn't under contract, so we shouldn't have had to pay a fee for him.
Posted by: supertown, August 12, 2020, 3:40pm; Reply: 37
Quoted from Boris Johnson

60 pieces of Cod, and a frozen bag of peas

Surely it’s a bag of frozen peas .......
Posted by: Tommy, August 13, 2020, 3:52pm; Reply: 38
Long interview with Matt Dean (link on twitter) is worth a listen.

45 minutes long but get the full story of the lads career to date.

It's worth mentioning as well that he seems to have played mainly as a wide forward in a 4-3-3 at Folkstone. He says people always assume he's played centre forward because he's worn the no.9 shirt, but that most of the time he's played as a wide forward. Says he can play anywhere across the front line though, either side or centrally (as he did when he was younger).
Posted by: DocDock, August 13, 2020, 7:08pm; Reply: 39
Quoted from Tommy
Long interview with Matt Dean (link on twitter) is worth a listen.

45 minutes long but get the full story of the lads career to date.

It's worth mentioning as well that he seems to have played mainly as a wide forward in a 4-3-3 at Folkstone. He says people always assume he's played centre forward because he's worn the no.9 shirt, but that most of the time he's played as a wide forward. Says he can play anywhere across the front line though, either side or centrally (as he did when he was younger).

It’s definitely worth a listen, speaks candidly at length too. The interview really makes me want him to succeed, he’s clearly a bright, articulate humble young man too.
Posted by: forza ivano, August 13, 2020, 11:33pm; Reply: 40
Echo the above.a VERY switched on young man. Extremely impressive
Posted by: Belfast Town, August 14, 2020, 6:41am; Reply: 41
I can’t believe I listened to a 46 minute interview, but I was enthralled. A really interesting listen if you haven’t heard it yet. Much better than the usual sound bites!

He’s articulate, grounded and yet supremely confident in his ability and ambition. We’ve got a real star on our hands if his words and passion translate into goals on the pitch.
Posted by: Kris2, August 14, 2020, 4:33pm; Reply: 42
It's an interesting look at the life of a footballer from a youngster through non league and how that works. Just seems like the type of person you want to do well, very well spoken and has an attitude you don't see very often among young people anymore. Very hard working and driven, doesn't expect to be handed anything, doesn't get down from failures. Respects his dad and sees importance in family too.
Posted by: Obertan, August 14, 2020, 7:09pm; Reply: 43
Spent the last 18 months watching/filming the lad and it's no surprise that he's got himself a move into professional football.

Can play on either wing or through the middle, although I felt he got lost the few times he played through the middle in a 3, spent all of last season wide right apart from a couple of games we had our centre forward out injured.

Scores with either foot but didn't score at all with his head last season. Knowing the lad that's something he'll strive to work on, he never stops trying to improve absolutely every area of his game. take free kicks with either foot. takes corners with either foot from either side of the pitch. Takes penalties (scored 5 of his 6 last season after he took over taking them) and incredibly he's even got a decent throw on him.

Personally I can only say he's been a pleasure to work with and made my job at Folkestone easy over the last 12 months, both with what he's done on the pitch and what he does off it, always happy to talk to us pre and post match and did a couple of bits with us during lockdown for podcasts and YouTube.

If he doesn't make it it won't be through lack of trying, he'll give absolutely everything to better himself and make the most of this opportunity. I've reservations about whether he can do it but I hope he does. If he's played wide you'll probably need a full back that can handle himself, although for us that was never a problem, especially as he kept scoring at the other end!

Although he's always trained himself on the schedule of a pro doing that with football league coaches who will hopefully have more time to work with him will help him flourish. I'll certainly be keeping an eye out for him.

Anyway here's a video I did with him earlier in the year talking about all the goals he scored last season (quality didn't come out quite how I wanted!)

https://youtu.be/N_6tmHD4pkc
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, August 14, 2020, 7:16pm; Reply: 44
Quoted from Obertan
Spent the last 18 months watching/filming the lad and it's no surprise that he's got himself a move into professional football.

Can play on either wing or through the middle, although I felt he got lost the few times he played through the middle in a 3, spent all of last season wide right apart from a couple of games we had our centre forward out injured.

Scores with either foot but didn't score at all with his head last season. Knowing the lad that's something he'll strive to work on, he never stops trying to improve absolutely every area of his game. take free kicks with either foot. takes corners with either foot from either side of the pitch. Takes penalties (scored 5 of his 6 last season after he took over taking them) and incredibly he's even got a decent throw on him.

Personally I can only say he's been a pleasure to work with and made my job at Folkestone easy over the last 12 months, both with what he's done on the pitch and what he does off it, always happy to talk to us pre and post match and did a couple of bits with us during lockdown for podcasts and YouTube.

If he doesn't make it it won't be through lack of trying, he'll give absolutely everything to better himself and make the most of this opportunity. I've reservations about whether he can do it but I hope he does. If he's played wide you'll probably need a full back that can handle himself, although for us that was never a problem, especially as he kept scoring at the other end!

Although he's always trained himself on the schedule of a pro doing that with football league coaches who will hopefully have more time to work with him will help him flourish. I'll certainly be keeping an eye out for him.

Anyway here's a video I did with him earlier in the year talking about all the goals he scored last season (quality didn't come out quite how I wanted!)

Thanks for the insight, really hope he kicks on and makes it in the professional game with GTFC...If Ollie and Limbrick can't progress him no one will ..it's in his hands to show the league what he's capable of.
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, August 14, 2020, 7:19pm; Reply: 45
Quoted from Obertan

Thanks for that.

You mention you have some reservations- can you be any more specific?  Is there an aspect of his game you worry about or just the step up to league football?
Posted by: Obertan, August 14, 2020, 8:41pm; Reply: 46

Thanks for that.

You mention you have some reservations- can you be any more specific?  Is there an aspect of his game you worry about or just the step up to league football?

Nothing specific beyond probably a greater need to help his full back if he plays wide, but I've no doubt he'll do it if asked its just if it takes away from his game.

in general yes, the step up, big fish in a small pond to small fish in a bigger pond to use a cliche. he was the main man here for much of last season, although he forced the manager into making him so. he hit real form back end of the previous season but spent preseason elsewhere before staying, and started the season on the bench but forced his way into the side by coming off the bench and doing what he does: scoring goals and winning games.

obviously nothing in football is a certainty and I've seen much better footballers fall short but if he does it won't be for want of trying and dedication. if he does show what he can do you'll certainly have some excitement watching him.
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, August 14, 2020, 8:50pm; Reply: 47
Quoted from Obertan

Nothing specific beyond probably a greater need to help his full back if he plays wide, but I've no doubt he'll do it if asked its just if it takes away from his game.

in general yes, the step up, big fish in a small pond to small fish in a bigger pond to use a cliche. he was the main man here for much of last season, although he forced the manager into making him so. he hit real form back end of the previous season but spent preseason elsewhere before staying, and started the season on the bench but forced his way into the side by coming off the bench and doing what he does: scoring goals and winning games.

obviously nothing in football is a certainty and I've seen much better footballers fall short but if he does it won't be for want of trying and dedication. if he does show what he can do you'll certainly have some excitement watching him.

Fair enough. I suppose there is the point of having football league standard players as team mates might bring even more out of him, and of course he will have a top manager guiding him but, as ever time will tell.

Thanks again for the insight.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, August 14, 2020, 9:12pm; Reply: 48
I think as we saw with Vernam, he won't have to worry too much about his defensive duties. His job will be to receive the ball and make something happen.
Posted by: forza ivano, August 14, 2020, 10:06pm; Reply: 49
Thanks
Obertan.are you the bloke hed call at 7.30 on a  sunday morning to go through the video about the match?
Posted by: forza ivano, August 14, 2020, 10:07pm; Reply: 50
Thanks
Obertan.are you the bloke hed call at 7.30 on a  sunday morning to go through the video about the match?
Posted by: finbarrinz, August 14, 2020, 11:33pm; Reply: 51
Quoted from forza ivano
Thanks

Another Folkestone Invicta fan here in peace.
Yes he is. He does our match videos, as well as social media.

One thing that definitely needs to be added about Ira is that everyone at our club who's met Ira confirms that he's a really decent bloke. Maybe not massively important, but when it comes to making a connection with the fans he'll be excellent at this. He'll be popular.

As said before, he can score with left or right foot (not seen a header) and tap-ins are a rarity. He's going to excite. Enjoy him! We certainly did.

Posted by: forza ivano, August 15, 2020, 9:35am; Reply: 52
Quoted from finbarrinz

Another Folkestone Invicta fan here in peace.
Yes he is. He does our match videos, as well as social media.

One thing that definitely needs to be added about Ira is that everyone at our club who's met Ira confirms that he's a really decent bloke. Maybe not massively important, but when it comes to making a connection with the fans he'll be excellent at this. He'll be popular.

As said before, he can score with left or right foot (not seen a header) and tap-ins are a rarity. He's going to excite. Enjoy him! We certainly did.

Thanks for that.hope you have a good season without him. Had the pleasure of a good day out in folkestone a year or 2 back when my other team, aylesbury united, drew you in the trophy
Print page generated: April 28, 2024, 12:06am