Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: IlkleyMariner, August 2, 2020, 4:44pm
Currently 3-1 up with 15 minutes left at Wembley.
Ex Mariners in the Notts side not doing the biz. Mitch Rose, Wes Thomas, Kris Dennis not impressive

Nice away trip next season?
Posted by: Hagrid, August 2, 2020, 4:46pm; Reply: 1
Noone in a notts shirt been impressive bar the winger Roberts. Pleased for Harrogate, whether we will get an away day this season though i think fairly unlikely
Posted by: Mikey_345, August 2, 2020, 4:46pm; Reply: 2
Lived there for quite sometime, be nice to go back for a visit..... and three points.
Posted by: psgmariner, August 2, 2020, 4:48pm; Reply: 3
Will have to use someone else’s ground I think as no plastic pitches allowed and no time to change it. York?
Posted by: Posh Harry, August 2, 2020, 4:55pm; Reply: 4
Congrats to Harrogate. Played some good stuff, although looked poor at the back.

Good to see County stay down. Good away day and hope they come back in the next year or two, but they need a bit of a longer experience at that level to keep them humble when they get back.

UTMM
Posted by: Grantham_Mariner, August 2, 2020, 4:56pm; Reply: 5
They have already said they will change back to grass if they go up.
Posted by: wigworld, August 2, 2020, 4:58pm; Reply: 6
Is the orginial Macca still involved with Harrogate?
Posted by: Abdul19, August 2, 2020, 5:01pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from wigworld

Left Harrogate years ago. Think he's assistant at Boston now.
Posted by: moosey_club, August 2, 2020, 5:01pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from psgmariner
Will have to use someone else’s ground I think as no plastic pitches allowed and no time to change it. York?

Will urine a new pitch in time, modern pitches have been played on 1 week after laying. Roll the old pitch up tonight, jcb over the top tomorrow , new sub soil , turf by Wednesday or the weekend at the latest if they are organised, gives them 5 - 6 weeks to let it settle in.

Posted by: Hagrid, August 2, 2020, 5:04pm; Reply: 9
Scott Brown picking up a medal
Posted by: sonofmadeleymariner, August 2, 2020, 5:29pm; Reply: 10
I'm sure BT commentators said they've got to have it laid by tuesday  ;D
Posted by: thevera, August 2, 2020, 5:29pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from psgmariner

Harrogate Town will play the first few home games of next season outside of Harrogate if they gain promotion to the English Football League.
This is because to meet EFL regulations the club must replace its existing artificial 3G pitch at the CNG Stadium with grass.
Town play Notts County at Wembley on Sunday with the winner gaining promotion to the League Two in the EFL. The club said they will begin work on replacing the pitch with grass “immediately” should they win the historic tie.
The work is expected to take 10 weeks, which would take them into next season, with the first matches set for September 12. The club have not revealed who they could potentially ground share with.
Town installed the current 3G pitch in 2016 after struggling for years with drainage issues on the previous grass pitch. It forced them to play several home matches 45 miles away at Doncaster Rovers.
Posted by: Abdul19, August 2, 2020, 5:30pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from Hagrid

After getting changed into his kit
Posted by: GrimRob, August 2, 2020, 6:35pm; Reply: 13
Another Town. How many in the league now?
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, August 2, 2020, 6:40pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from Hagrid

Makes a change from a red card!!
Posted by: Madeleymariner, August 2, 2020, 6:59pm; Reply: 15
Happens I'm in Harrogate tonight wonder if there will be thousands of people thronging the streets when I leave a town centre restaurant later https://tse2.mm.bing.net/th?id=OGC.3835d803d3ecc1301d0bf5636cb38bf5&pid=Api&rurl=https%3a%2f%2fmedia.giphy.com%2fmedia%2fBQAk13taTaKYw%2fgiphy.gif&ehk=V7BBb5CXsymqBBLdFJJzgYX63k%2f48qFmVvZgQeyFp10%3d
Posted by: The_Laughing_Mariner, August 2, 2020, 7:02pm; Reply: 16
There are no pubs nearby to the ground and its a tiny ground.  Will we all get in?
Posted by: livosnose, August 2, 2020, 7:04pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from Northbank Mariner

He played really well for us against Bristol Rovers.
Posted by: arryarryarry, August 2, 2020, 7:07pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from Madeleymariner
Happens I'm in Harrogate tonight wonder if there will be thousands of people thronging the streets when I leave a town centre restaurant later https://tse2.mm.bing.net/th?id=OGC.3835d803d3ecc1301d0bf5636cb38bf5&pid=Api&rurl=https%3a%2f%2fmedia.giphy.com%2fmedia%2fBQAk13taTaKYw%2fgiphy.gif&ehk=V7BBb5CXsymqBBLdFJJzgYX63k%2f48qFmVvZgQeyFp10%3d

If it's as busy as their fans forum you will be on your own.
Posted by: Madeleymariner, August 2, 2020, 7:12pm; Reply: 19
I know just driven through the Town to get to the hotel and absolutely nothing on the streets in shop windows etc cheering them on remember our 1st trip to Wembley you knew what was going on that weekend if you were in town for a whole week before
Posted by: Heisenberg, August 2, 2020, 7:20pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from Madeleymariner
I know just driven through the Town to get to the hotel and absolutely nothing on the streets in shop windows etc cheering them on remember our 1st trip to Wembley you knew what was going on that weekend if you were in town for a whole week before

That’s incredible, but Harrogate is definitely a Gretna in the making. I like that place a lot, and the ground really isn’t far from the centre, so I’d love an away day there. Fact is though, if crowds are allowed back by then, it’ll be strictly all ticket. That is a SMALL ‘stadium’.

Pleased Notts County stayed down though. It’s purely childish jealousy, but after we spent 6 years down there I’ve hated seeing the likes of Bristol Rovers and Cheltenham bounce straight back up. Multiple seasons down there is a very humbling experience,  and getting back ain’t easy, or at least it shouldn’t be.
Posted by: forza ivano, August 2, 2020, 7:33pm; Reply: 21
Very pleased with that result.county definitely need to be non league for a few more years so they can feel the pain like us, oxford and luton etc have had to. Bet they're already looking forward to their f.a. trophy game in November (still shudder at the memory,/ignominy)
Posted by: promotion plaice, August 2, 2020, 7:38pm; Reply: 22

Lovely place Harrogate very affluent, my grandparents lived there.

Pleased they got promoted.
Posted by: thevera, August 2, 2020, 7:43pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from Heisenberg

That’s incredible, but Harrogate is definitely a Gretna in the making. I like that place a lot, and the ground really isn’t far from the centre, so I’d love an away day there. Fact is though, if crowds are allowed back by then, it’ll be strictly all ticket. That is a SMALL ‘stadium’.

Pleased Notts County stayed down though. It’s purely childish jealousy, but after we spent 6 years down there I’ve hated seeing the likes of Bristol Rovers and Cheltenham bounce straight back up. Multiple seasons down there is a very humbling experience,  and getting back ain’t easy, or at least it shouldn’t be.

They are currently redeveloping one of their stands to take the ground capacity above 5000.
Posted by: 140067 (Guest), August 2, 2020, 7:43pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from wigworld

Which stone you been hiding under. He's been at Alford and Boston since. Well documented on here.
Posted by: 140067 (Guest), August 2, 2020, 7:48pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from Northbank Mariner

Or a driving ban. Let's hope he's sensible.
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, August 2, 2020, 7:51pm; Reply: 26
Harrogate have always been numerous divisions below their near neighbours York.  Harrogate are now 2 divisions above York in the pyramid.  How football fortunes change so quickly.  
Posted by: Mallyner, August 2, 2020, 8:13pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from IlkleyMariner
Currently 3-1 up with 15 minutes left at Wembley.
Ex Mariners in the Notts side not doing the biz. Mitch Rose, Wes Thomas, Kris Dennis not impressive

Nice away trip next season?

Oooh Betty's.  :)

Posted by: moosey_club, August 2, 2020, 8:29pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from Mallyner

Oooh Betty's.  :)

i think Betty's get bigger crowds than the football team most days.
Posted by: Abdul19, August 2, 2020, 9:33pm; Reply: 29
There are no pubs nearby to the ground and its a tiny ground.  Will we all get in?

There was one 5 minutes walk away last time. Loads in the town centre too, which can only be 10 or 15 minutes away.
Posted by: Madeleymariner, August 2, 2020, 9:44pm; Reply: 30
Well just had a nice meal in Greek restaurant the town is silent maybe no one has got back yet  ;D
Posted by: Heisenberg, August 2, 2020, 9:59pm; Reply: 31
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
Harrogate have always been numerous divisions below their near neighbours York.  Harrogate are now 2 divisions above York in the pyramid.  How football fortunes change so quickly.  

I remember when Blackpool were a Premier club and played little p#sspot Fleetwood in the cup. Literally 4 years later or something Fleetwood were above them in the league. These things do happen,  somehow. That’s like Cleethorpes being above Town.
Posted by: Poojah, August 2, 2020, 11:07pm; Reply: 32
Quoted from Abdul19

There was one 5 minutes walk away last time. Loads in the town centre too, which can only be 10 or 15 minutes away.

It’s between 10 and 20 minutes depending on how fast you walk, but it’s easily doable. Some decent boozers in town and not a bad night out either, if a little bit ‘rah’.

It’s got the makings of a good away day as and when they become possible again. Let’s hope that’s sometime next season.

League Two has been quite a southern division since we’ve been back in it, but there’s a definitely a more northern feel to it next season. 14 northern clubs in the league including us, 15 if you’re prepared to count no man’s land Walsall (and I am since it’s significantly quicker to get to than Barrow).

It’s a real shame it’s fallen like this at a time when things are as they are. With the feel good factor that has been around since Ollie’s arrival on NYE, the clear improvement in performances and some really attractive away fixtures on the cards we’d have been capable of some pretty phenomenal away followings.

Let’s not write the whole season off just yet though - bring on that fúcking vaccine!
Posted by: AdamHaddock, August 3, 2020, 1:08am; Reply: 33
I would have preferred Halifax but still better than notts
Posted by: diehardmariner, August 3, 2020, 12:17pm; Reply: 34
I thought Harrogate looked a good bet to more than compete at this level next season.

Ten minute spell after half-time aside, by far the best side.  Soon as they brought Stead on to hold it up, County never looked likely to get back in it.  

Regards the pitch, probably about time that the EFL looked at ripping this rule up about not being allowed a 3G pitch.  Harrogate chairman spoke very eloquently before the game about how having a pitch like that has served to bring the local community together around the club.  Huge shame to lose that just because the EFL insist that an expensive to maintain water bog getting used 23 times a year is better than a comparatively cheap pitch that can be used non-stop.
Posted by: BobbyCummingsTackle, August 3, 2020, 3:30pm; Reply: 35
Quoted from Heisenberg

I remember when Blackpool were a Premier club and played little p#sspot Fleetwood in the cup. Literally 4 years later or something Fleetwood were above them in the league. These things do happen,  somehow. That’s like Cleethorpes being above Town.

I used to live in the Manchester area and was a journeyman amateur player. When Town were in the bottom half of the Natl League and relegation was possible there was a real danger that they could be playing teams I had played against - that depressed the hell out of me. Almost as much as it did my Stockport supporting mate who had to suffer a weekly 'I've played there!' message before Stockport visited places like Poynton.
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, August 3, 2020, 6:31pm; Reply: 36
Congratulations to Harrogate becoming a league club. I never thought I would be saying that.

If Harrogate can get to league 2 from a standing start and attract enough decent players to get them there, then a club of our status in the game can aspire to the Championship.

Money must have played a key part in Harrogate attracting the right players but everything else in football terms is against them, so it just shows what can be achieved with the right attitude.

I think Ollie gets this crucial point- amazing things can happen to clubs like Harrogate but even more amazing things can happen to a club like Grimsby Town.
Posted by: grimsby pete, August 3, 2020, 7:07pm; Reply: 37

I used to live in the Manchester area and was a journeyman amateur player. When Town were in the bottom half of the Natl League and relegation was possible there was a real danger that they could be playing teams I had played against - that depressed the hell out of me. Almost as much as it did my Stockport supporting mate who had to suffer a weekly 'I've played there!' message before Stockport visited places like Poynton.

No you was not Bobby .

You are a legend !!!!!  ;D
Posted by: Caveman, August 3, 2020, 8:19pm; Reply: 38
The story really started when son got the manager's job.

Then dad bought the club.

Good luck to them, except when they play Town .
Posted by: TheRealJohnLewis, August 3, 2020, 9:21pm; Reply: 39
I find it rather perculiar that there is this amount of postive comments when they're run by a sugar daddy just like FGR but FGR are seen negatively. What am I missing?
Posted by: Ipswin, August 3, 2020, 9:48pm; Reply: 40
Quoted from TheRealJohnLewis
I find it rather perculiar that there is this amount of postive comments when they're run by a sugar daddy just like FGR but FGR are seen negatively. What am I missing?

I think all the negative 'sugar daddy' stuff about FGR and Salford etc is just jealousy because we haven't got one. If we could buy our way up the FL everyone would be up for it and celebrating madly

Posted by: aldi_01, August 4, 2020, 7:19am; Reply: 41
I must be the only person not happy with them going up. Would much rather it be county.

Harrogate are another club that have spent beyond what is really reasonable. I guess you’ll see how much they really care now. Unlikely to be any crowds or income of any kind going in...
Posted by: psgmariner, August 4, 2020, 8:40am; Reply: 42
Quoted from TheRealJohnLewis

They haven't beaten us yet.
Posted by: diehardmariner, August 4, 2020, 12:34pm; Reply: 43
Quoted from aldi_01
I must be the only person not happy with them going up. Would much rather it be county.

Harrogate are another club that have spent beyond what is really reasonable. I guess you’ll see how much they really care now. Unlikely to be any crowds or income of any kind going in...

Unlike Notts County.  They've an outstanding record of spending reasonably...
Posted by: aldi_01, August 4, 2020, 12:37pm; Reply: 44
Oh I agree, but I’d just have preferred county over Harrogate.
Posted by: pizzzza, August 4, 2020, 4:18pm; Reply: 45
Heard on the radio that they'll play at The Keepmoat until their pitch is sorted.
Posted by: Heisenberg, August 4, 2020, 4:47pm; Reply: 46
Quoted from pizzzza
Heard on the radio that they'll play at The Keepmoat until their pitch is sorted.

Good job fans aren't allowed in, as if the restrictions were lifted, how many Harrogate fans would travel all the way there?!
Print page generated: April 19, 2024, 12:15pm