Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: PoutonStepover, August 1, 2020, 5:54pm
I overheard a conversation between 2 people that are involved in the coaching staff at the club today that we will be taking a youngster on loan for Man U this coming season..... no names were mentioned but someone of similar quality to the last loanee we had from there would be great 😃
Posted by: promotion plaice, August 1, 2020, 6:52pm; Reply: 1

Hope it's Mason Greenwood, could do a good job at our level   ;D
Posted by: gtfc98, August 1, 2020, 9:29pm; Reply: 2
Jesse Lingard.
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, August 1, 2020, 9:37pm; Reply: 3
Quoted from PoutonStepover
I overheard a conversation between 2 people that are involved in the coaching staff at the club today that we will be taking a youngster on loan for Man U this coming season..... no names were mentioned but someone of similar quality to the last loanee we had from there would be great 😃

I’m sure olly would love to know who these people are discussing potential targets in front of random people 🤔
Posted by: AdamHaddock, August 2, 2020, 2:51am; Reply: 4
Quoted from promotion plaice

Hope it's Mason Greenwood, could do a good job at our level   ;D

Is that the first CDAJATL of the summer?

Posted by: Mallyner, August 2, 2020, 7:54am; Reply: 5

I do like the way we have been loaning young and upcoming players recently; at one time loanees were more like Jack Brownsword than Mason Greenwood.  :)

Posted by: TownSNAFU5, August 2, 2020, 8:31am; Reply: 6
Jack Brownsword.  I knew of him but have done some research.

A bit heavy for a Sun morning, but he was a legendary Scunny player in he 50s and 60s.  He set a number of records but is perhaps more famous as a difficult quiz question.

He played nearly 800 times for Scunny over 18 years.  He was never booked.

He was the first fullback to score 50 goals.  In those days fullbacks were our defenders.

He was a very proficient scorer for a FB because he took all the penalties.  He was very good at it scoring 49 pens with one saved (and a great save at that).

Strangely, he put all his penalties in the same place.  One keeper stood at the post,  When Jack took the penalty the keeper dived across all the open goal.  The penalty scored where the keeper was before.

The quiz question is what is most usual fact about one of Scunny FB Jack Brownsword’s 50 goals?

(It wasn’t a penalty, all the rest were).  The other goal was a miss-hit cross that deceived the keeper and went into the net.
Posted by: Rick12, August 2, 2020, 12:01pm; Reply: 7
Will be nice to see a Man U youngster here. I still like the old days when clubs like Grimsby could compete with the Man Utds of this world due to the wage cap.Interesting to recap as you maybe aware that Grimsby were founded earlier as a football club than Liverpool,Real Madrid,Barcelona,AC Milan and Chelsea .
Posted by: Mallyner, August 3, 2020, 10:16am; Reply: 8
Great research TownSNAFU5.  :)

My comment was only a pretty poor attempt at humour, using 2 players of different ages with colours in their names. Jack was a great servant for his club, I suppose the equivalent of John McDermot and I am sure I must have seen him play against Town a few times.

A better reference without an attempt of humour might have been players we signed on loan in the later stages of their playing careers, who really did us little favours.
Print page generated: May 3, 2024, 3:15pm