Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: promotion plaice, July 31, 2020, 7:18pm

Looks like Scunny are set to appoint a new manager:

"Sadly, no matter how much time passes, the ghost of Grimsby past at home has not gone – so the news that there will be a new gaffer in the hot seat for 2020/21 will be a welcome boost to the morales of the United faithful."     8)

https://anyoldironblog.com/2020/07/31/russ-heads-back-to-the-under-23s-to-make-way-for-new-iron-manager/

Posted by: pizzzza, July 31, 2020, 7:43pm; Reply: 1
Given that they haven't played since this surely counts as another one for the Grim Reaper.
Posted by: dicko995, July 31, 2020, 8:18pm; Reply: 2
very interesting... NOT
Posted by: forza ivano, July 31, 2020, 10:18pm; Reply: 3
Quoted from dicko995
very interesting... NOT

Maybe, maybe not. Imagine if they appointed michael jolley or john mcdermott for example
Wed be very interested then

Posted by: promotion plaice, July 31, 2020, 10:24pm; Reply: 4
Quoted from forza ivano

Maybe, maybe not. Imagine if they appointed michael jolley or john mcdermott for example
Wed be very interested then

Or even Russell Slade with Wilko as his assistant.

Posted by: AdamHaddock, August 1, 2020, 3:41am; Reply: 5
A Slade and Newell duo?
Posted by: thefish, August 1, 2020, 7:35am; Reply: 6
Quoted from AdamHaddock
A Slade and Newell duo?

Why am I hearing the Laurel and Hardy theme tune as I read this?
Posted by: Mallyner, August 1, 2020, 9:11am; Reply: 7
Quoted from thefish

Why am I hearing the Laurel and Hardy theme tune as I read this?

Another fine mess you got us into.  :)

Posted by: moosey_club, August 1, 2020, 9:47am; Reply: 8
May as well make this thread a sticky with Swanns record for hiring and firing.
Posted by: ex-merseymariner, August 1, 2020, 10:30am; Reply: 9
I think its fascinating;  Chairman Swann can be really obnoxious in radio interviews.  So when Radio Humbs later today asks why he backed Wilcox, then demoted him months later, and why he is spending season ticket holders money, which he didn't offer as a refund, on yet another boss, he will probably get very shirty.....

Also, how many ex-Scunny managers are at clubs that finished ABOVE Scunny; Alexander? McCall? Robins?
And I assume they wont be reappointing Hurst and Doig?
If they bring in Cowley or Adkins...... well, I'd rather they brought in Jolley or Bignot.
And Grant McCann is still in a job so not available.........
Andy Dawson?
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, August 1, 2020, 11:12am; Reply: 10
Paul Cook?
Posted by: Poojah, August 1, 2020, 11:24am; Reply: 11
Paul Cook?

Paul Cook is a brilliant manager. He has absolutely no need or reason to sink to those depths.
Posted by: 139881 (Guest), August 1, 2020, 1:54pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from promotion plaice

Non-league awaits them with that duo  ;D
Posted by: promotion plaice, August 1, 2020, 2:27pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from 139881

Non-league awaits them with that duo  ;D

It very nearly happened for us.

Harry Kewell appointed Oldham manager.

Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, August 1, 2020, 2:56pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from Poojah

Paul Cook is a brilliant manager. He has absolutely no need or reason to sink to those depths.

In theory. ;)

Posted by: mimma, August 1, 2020, 3:26pm; Reply: 15
Paul Cook will end up at another championship club. What he did at Wigan hasn't gone unnoticed.

As for scunny, don't think they can attract or afford a big name. Managers looking for a job will stay well clear of them because of Swanns record of firing managers and not giving them a chance to build.
Posted by: Gaffer58, August 1, 2020, 3:58pm; Reply: 16
But if Swann offers a stupidly high salary then 99% of unemployed managers would take it. Hurst was headhunted fo Ipswich, so would have been on a decent weekly wedge, gets the sack but has the majority of his contract paid up, then gets in at scunny, again on a good salary and once again gets sacked/ paid off. So I would not presume he his penniless at the moment, but obviously for his age does need employment.
Posted by: fishboyUTM, August 1, 2020, 4:50pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from promotion plaice

Please make this happen.
Posted by: pen penfras, August 1, 2020, 5:38pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from Gaffer58
But if Swann offers a stupidly high salary then 99% of unemployed managers would take it. Hurst was headhunted fo Ipswich, so would have been on a decent weekly wedge, gets the sack but has the majority of his contract paid up, then gets in at scunny, again on a good salary and once again gets sacked/ paid off. So I would not presume he his penniless at the moment, but obviously for his age does need employment.

You have no idea what his payoff was. The contract might state 4 weeks pay, so not necessarily much money at all. Although you'd figure that a championship job with a payoff means he's not likely struggling for money right now.
Posted by: tintowner, August 4, 2020, 12:19pm; Reply: 19
My scunny supporting mate tells me that he's heard it is (allegedly) going to be Neil Cox ( ex player and current Notts County assistant manager) with Mark Lillis as his assistant.
Print page generated: April 24, 2024, 10:13am