Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Heswall Mariner, July 2, 2020, 1:09pm
Does anyone out there know the current situation with Vernam, Wright & Clarke?
Posted by: Mariner16, July 2, 2020, 1:18pm; Reply: 1
According to Humberside

Clarke rejected his offer

Still talking to Vernam

Wright nearest of the 3 to sign
Posted by: Boris Johnson, July 2, 2020, 1:28pm; Reply: 2
Clarke has rejected a deal....bad news, but if he thinks he can gte more cash elsewhere, good lukc to him.
Posted by: GollyGTFC, July 2, 2020, 1:28pm; Reply: 3
I think we have an option on Vernam for another year which we've taken. Presumably they are trying to tie him down for longer?
Posted by: Son of Cod, July 2, 2020, 1:34pm; Reply: 4
So many of Radio Humberside's ITK posts/Tweets about our transfers turn out to be balderdash so hopefully this is another one they've got wrong with Clarke. It's shite that the most senior sports reporter for them is constantly throwing out "I'm hearing..." Tweets. It's his job to report on what's happened, not what he's heard.

Quoted from GollyGTFC
I think we have an option on Vernam for another year which we've taken. Presumably they are trying to tie him down for longer?

Apparently, talks are ongoing on that...which I don't get. If we have the option then what are they discussing?
Posted by: monkeyboy, July 2, 2020, 1:45pm; Reply: 5
Could be offers from other clubs so could be trying to balance out a deal to match.
In Clarkes case he could be waiting to see if something closer to home comes up or a longer deal, hes no spring Chicken so may want to try and get a wage for his last couple of years
Posted by: GollyGTFC, July 2, 2020, 1:53pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from monkeyboy
Could be offers from other clubs so could be trying to balance out a deal to match.
In Clarkes case he could be waiting to see if something closer to home comes up or a longer deal, hes no spring Chicken so may want to try and get a wage for his last couple of years

Or we offered him 75% of what he was given in January?
Posted by: Youngy, July 2, 2020, 4:41pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from Son of Cod
So many of Radio Humberside's ITK posts/Tweets about our transfers turn out to be balderdash so hopefully this is another one they've got wrong with Clarke. It's shite that the most senior sports reporter for them is constantly throwing out "I'm hearing..." Tweets. It's his job to report on what's happened, not what he's heard.

Apparently, talks are ongoing on that...which I don't get. If we have the option then what are they discussing?

I would imagine the club want to tie him down for longer.
Posted by: Madeleymariner, July 2, 2020, 5:04pm; Reply: 8
Its not only a reporters job to report news nowadays its also their job to create media interest in themselves and other subjects, why do you think you get endless speculation about reality stars/footballers  thats a load of b0ll0ks but they rarely sue anyone. as its exposure for the celebs and it sells papers/magazines and gets hits on websites/twatter etc. thus increasing advertising revenue etc, Its just a big merry-go-round of trying to fill space.
Posted by: diehardmariner, July 3, 2020, 10:19am; Reply: 9
Clarke was always going to be a touch-and-go one I think.

Good player, good pedigree and anyone with half a brain could see from his appearances here that he's still got it.  Looked absolute class for us.

Current situation means we're probably not offering as much as we could have done previously, he'll no doubt be travelling in so that's extra expense.  The whole lockdown thing has probably put a lot into perspective for some players, especially those with young families.  It may be that he doesn't want to spend 3 hours a day driving when that's time he could spend at home.

Really hope we can come to a deal with him as he was probably my favourite player to watch under Holloway so far.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, July 3, 2020, 12:27pm; Reply: 10
In the current climate, it's pretty likely that we are offering quite a lot less than he's used to. Personally, I would rather we wait for younger players from higher leagues.
Posted by: monkeyboy, July 3, 2020, 1:12pm; Reply: 11
I would imagine now they are planning to start the league at the end of August that Mr Holloway will be talking to quite a few targets.
As far as im aware hes down south most of the time at the minute so may be he begins in earnest when he gets back up here.
Could be a few young gems from darn sarth coming up this way.
Pappas get ready to sell the town to them.
Posted by: Nutsy, July 3, 2020, 2:30pm; Reply: 12
Clarke was an exciting pro, but as said younger players are being released, and we have players like Vernam, Tilley, Wright etc, we have exciting prospects.
Posted by: Hagrid, July 3, 2020, 2:33pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from Nutsy
Clarke was an exciting pro, but as said younger players are being released, and we have players like Vernam, Tilley, Wright etc, we have exciting prospects.

we dont

they havent signed on yet
Posted by: Posh Harry, July 3, 2020, 3:03pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from Son of Cod

If everyone has taken a 25% salary reduction then they might be trying to get Vernam to do the same, but I can only imagine that this may mean the year option we have is no longer in our favour as it probably breaks the agreement within that contract which probably is on at least the same salary basis as his current deal.

Vernam’s stock is currently higher than its ever been, and may well ever be, so you can’t blame him for trying to get as much money as his can. Let’s hope the Holloway factor swings it, because it has been under Holloway he has really started to flourish.

UTMM
Posted by: pen penfras, July 3, 2020, 4:10pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from Posh Harry

If everyone has taken a 25% salary reduction then they might be trying to get Vernam to do the same, but I can only imagine that this may mean the year option we have is no longer in our favour as it probably breaks the agreement within that contract which probably is on at least the same salary basis as his current deal.

Vernam’s stock is currently higher than its ever been, and may well ever be, so you can’t blame him for trying to get as much money as his can. Let’s hope the Holloway factor swings it, because it has been under Holloway he has really started to flourish.

UTMM

I can't imagine AC Milan are looking at him anymore...

He had 6 fantastic games in 2 and a half years. I'm not sure he actually deserves a big pay increase for that record. It just so happens that those 6 games were at the end of last season, but there's every possibility that he could go back to being anonymous, and if I was him, I'd seriously consider that being under a manager that allowed him to produce his best form might be the best way to go, because he hasn't played well enough for long enough to justify anybody paying big money for him. Of course, there may be some club with more money than sense taking a gamble, but I think there are good deals with proven players to be had before Charles Vernam enters their thinking.
Posted by: WayneBurnettsJockstrap, July 3, 2020, 8:21pm; Reply: 16
I was led to believe that the 25% paycut was only until training resumes and then they are back on full whack by the time the season starts again.
Posted by: golfer, July 3, 2020, 9:08pm; Reply: 17
If they are back at work they get full pay
Posted by: toontown, July 3, 2020, 9:09pm; Reply: 18
Yeah if back at work full pay so that speculation is barking up the wrong tree. Probably negotiating over a longer extension?
Print page generated: April 23, 2024, 1:56pm