Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: sam gy, July 1, 2020, 2:58pm
Saw this podcast interview with him posted on Twitter earlier, so thought i'd share.

https://twitter.com/SportJourneyPod/status/1278238832647983104?s=20

Counts his time at Town as the best in his career, Buckley along with Wilder as the best managers he played under and captaining us at Wembley as his career highlight. We're also the club he spent the longest time at during his career.

Can't fully comment as his time at the club coincides with the few years i kinda stopped watching us for a bit, but always seemed a bit of a strange one how despite the above he seemed to mainly be viewed in a negative light by a lot of Town fans. 150 apps for us, then I believe binned off by Newell (and replaced by Widdowson who was terrible for us that relegation season)...he then played in Lg2 and Lg1 for the duration of us being in the conference...can't have been that bad!

Posted by: Boris Johnson, July 1, 2020, 3:17pm; Reply: 1
average would be my viewpoint
Posted by: mimma, July 1, 2020, 4:14pm; Reply: 2
I personally thought he was a better player than many gave him credit for here. He had his moments, but so did others around him. He was the elected fall guy of that time.
Posted by: moosey_club, July 1, 2020, 5:54pm; Reply: 3
Quoted from mimma
I personally thought he was a better player than many gave him credit for here. He had his moments, but so did others around him. He was the elected fall guy of that time.

Yep.  Him and Toner looked good during their first seasons i seem to recall , and then both started to slip/ lose form...without researching back that could have been due to a lowering of class of player around them and also Toner started to get used in various positions i think which never helps your consistency.
When listening to him when he pundits for Scunny he always seem to talk relative sense.

Posted by: blundellpork, July 1, 2020, 6:48pm; Reply: 4
Newey was a perfectly competent left back, but Widdowson was a downgrade. The lad had potential, but was caught hopelessly out of position all of the time, and it was unfair to throw him in as a regular at that time. Newey should have been retained.
Posted by: gobby, July 1, 2020, 8:05pm; Reply: 5
Tom Neweys goal against Blackburn was a cracker. One of the best from a defender.  8)
UTMM  
Posted by: forza ivano, July 1, 2020, 8:39pm; Reply: 6
Newey really frustrated me.all he seemed to do was play long balls down the left wing, a third of which were over hit and about half went aimlessly out of play
Posted by: sam gy, July 2, 2020, 11:35am; Reply: 7
Quoted from blundellpork
Newey was a perfectly competent left back, but Widdowson was a downgrade. The lad had potential, but was caught hopelessly out of position all of the time, and it was unfair to throw him in as a regular at that time. Newey should have been retained.

And the less said about his replacement, Lee Ridley, the better.
Posted by: diehardmariner, July 2, 2020, 1:02pm; Reply: 8
Newey was a very decent left-back for us and when signed, fitted the bill perfectly for what we wanted.  

Slade was all about those long balls forward, driven at an angle that made it difficult for defenders to deal with.  Newey was the master of those.  They either caused havoc for the defender trying to head it or slipped through for Reddy to pounce onto.    Reddy's goal away at Notts County in 2005/06 is a great example of this.

He then seemed to get slated more and more as his time here went on, but I always felt he was a victim of doing his job.  His long balls down the line were playing to instruction.  The fact he spent time higher than us after leaving probably said everything.  

If I recall right he, Phil Barnes and another fell out with Newell big time and he made them scapegoats for everything.  Completely freezing them out the team/squad.  
Posted by: arryarryarry, July 2, 2020, 1:21pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from sam gy

And the less said about his replacement, Lee Ridley, the better.

In my 50 odd years watching Town he was one of the worst players I have seen play for us.

What the frig Neil Woods was doing signing him only he knows.
Posted by: Abdul19, July 2, 2020, 1:47pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from diehardmariner

If I recall right he, Phil Barnes and another fell out with Newell big time and he made them scapegoats for everything.  Completely freezing them out the team/squad.  

Gary Montgomery I think. Basically sacked them with about 6 weeks of the season left (leaving us without a contracted senior keeper - good job Henderson wasn't recalled!)
Posted by: jaygy, July 2, 2020, 3:37pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from gobby
Tom Neweys goal against Blackburn was a cracker. One of the best from a defender.  8)
UTMM  

IIRC it was a free kick straight at the goalkeeper just under the bar? I think the keeper was more at fault for letting it in than it being a cracker of a goal
Posted by: jamesgtfc, July 2, 2020, 4:03pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from sam gy
Saw this podcast interview with him posted on Twitter earlier, so thought i'd share.

https://twitter.com/SportJourneyPod/status/1278238832647983104?s=20

Counts his time at Town as the best in his career, Buckley along with Wilder as the best managers he played under and captaining us at Wembley as his career highlight. We're also the club he spent the longest time at during his career.

Can't fully comment as his time at the club coincides with the few years i kinda stopped watching us for a bit, but always seemed a bit of a strange one how despite the above he seemed to mainly be viewed in a negative light by a lot of Town fans. 150 apps for us, then I believe binned off by Newell (and replaced by Widdowson who was terrible for us that relegation season)...he then played in Lg2 and Lg1 for the duration of us being in the conference...can't have been that bad!

At the time we had been spoilt for a few years at a higher level and second tier football was in the recent past. I think if we signed a player like him today, he would probably be viewed differently.

When you look at other players we released in that period, he is one of very few that managed to keep playing league football for a number of years.
Posted by: gobby, July 2, 2020, 4:35pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from jaygy

IIRC it was a free kick straight at the goalkeeper just under the bar? I think the keeper was more at fault for letting it in than it being a cracker of a goal

How dear you! It was perfectly struck with the right precision and accuracy required from a class player😒
πŸ€ͺπŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜Ž
UTMM
Posted by: jamesgtfc, July 2, 2020, 5:19pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from gobby

How dear you! It was perfectly struck with the right precision and accuracy required from a class player😒
πŸ€ͺπŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜Ž
UTMM

Hi Tom πŸ˜‰
Posted by: DNMariner, July 2, 2020, 5:49pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from diehardmariner

I'll never forget the save that Phil Barnes made at Wembley immediately prior to Hegarty (I think?) giving the penalty away. One of the best saves I've seen live but it seems forgotten about due to the penalty being given immediately after.

Posted by: Davec, July 2, 2020, 6:18pm; Reply: 16
I thought Barnes was a solid enough keeper, yeah not a world beater by any stretch but he did a job, as did Newey, likewise Gary Montgomery was a half decent back up
Posted by: GollyGTFC, July 2, 2020, 6:51pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from Abdul19

Gary Montgomery I think. Basically sacked them with about 6 weeks of the season left (leaving us without a contracted senior keeper - good job Henderson wasn't recalled!)

These sort of things... paying up two goalkeepers contracts in full and paying another one (wages & loan fee) for the final 3 months of the season are a lot to do with why Fenty's debt is so high and why I think he isn't entitled to expect it back. That season and the following (relegation) season we lost over Β£1,200,000. Not because of ITV digital. Not because of historic tax debt. Because the club was going down the shitter and Fenty threw money at it in desperation. Bringing in players. Paying off players. Paying off managers and coaching staff.
Posted by: GollyGTFC, July 2, 2020, 6:53pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from Davec
I thought Barnes was a solid enough keeper, yeah not a world beater by any stretch but he did a job, as did Newey, likewise Gary Montgomery was a half decent back up

Barnes was probably a better goalkeeper than Mildenhall. Mildenhall had the advantage of following Anthony Williams which made him seem better than he actual was.
Posted by: drbell, July 2, 2020, 6:57pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from forza ivano
Newey really frustrated me.all he seemed to do was play long balls down the left wing, a third of which were over hit and about half went aimlessly out of play

That matches my main recollection of Newey too. His first thought always seemed to be a long ball. Any attempt to play football would break down once he got the ball. Now whether that was his personal choice or a lack of support in front of him, I really don't recall.
Posted by: sam gy, July 2, 2020, 7:20pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from jamesgtfc

At the time we had been spoilt for a few years at a higher level and second tier football was in the recent past. I think if we signed a player like him today, he would probably be viewed differently.

When you look at other players we released in that period, he is one of very few that managed to keep playing league football for a number of years.

Good point.

A lot of Town fans probably still have the same mindset now, but the reality is we're now the opposite and find ourselves in LG2 after being in the division below. When we first went to League 2 we were a big club in the division...now we're not. A lot of players were in nappies the last time we were in the Championship!

Explains why we've struggled to attract decent players since coming up..
Posted by: forza ivano, July 2, 2020, 8:46pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from jamesgtfc

Good point,well made
Posted by: diehardmariner, July 3, 2020, 10:25am; Reply: 22
Quoted from Abdul19

That was it!  I was thinking Montgomery but then I thought surely we didn't outcast both our contracted 'keepers at the same time.

But then this was the era of Newell.  The era where we had a long-term trialist sleeping on the floor at a local hotel by all accounts!
Posted by: diehardmariner, July 3, 2020, 10:27am; Reply: 23
Quoted from GollyGTFC

Barnes was probably a better goalkeeper than Mildenhall. Mildenhall had the advantage of following Anthony Williams which made him seem better than he actual was.

I liked Barnes.  I thought he was an outstanding shot-stopper, if not great on commanding his area.  But Mildenhall was an exceptional stopper, regardless of who he followed.  Granted I think Barnes had a rough time in following Mildenhall, a bit like how Danny Coyne did at first when following Aidan Davison.  I think Barnes struggled at first too, much like Coyne.

Mildenhall though is probably the best Town goalkeeper (who was ours) that I've seen since Coyne left.
Posted by: Abdul19, July 3, 2020, 11:07am; Reply: 24
I remember at Gainsborough in the pre-season before 10/11, Barnes* amusingly joined in with a 'If you all hate Newell clap your hands' chant  ;D

* he was in goal for Gainsborough at the time, to clarify.
Posted by: Mariner_501, July 3, 2020, 1:51pm; Reply: 25
One of the most underrated players in my time following Town. Did a lot better job than people give him credit for. Big part of 05/06 season.
Posted by: fishboyUTM, July 3, 2020, 10:09pm; Reply: 26
Decent pace, good technically but as a full back he was woeful as he literally allowed wingers to get their crosses in at will. Hands behind his back when jockying wingers must have affected his balance.
Posted by: BobbyCummingsTackle, July 5, 2020, 2:46pm; Reply: 27
Newey was average at everything. Not a single outstanding area.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, July 5, 2020, 3:54pm; Reply: 28
Newey was average at everything. Not a single outstanding area.

He was left footed. ;)
Posted by: RichMariner, July 6, 2020, 9:53pm; Reply: 29
Newey was very hit and miss for me. He had good technical ability and I seem to remember Buckley being quite happy to play him week in, week out. Obviously at fourth division level you're not going to get a world beater.

I remember an FA Cup game at Huddersfield where their right winger, Malvin Kamara, absolutely tore Newey to shreads. Turned him inside out; it was difficult to watch.

A season or two later, Buckley had gone, Newell had come (and gone) and Stuart Watkiss signs Malvin Kamara and I'm thinking 'wow, we've got a player there!'

Kamara, along with Tomi Ameobi, were awful!
Print page generated: March 28, 2024, 1:29pm