Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Sigone, June 28, 2020, 3:12pm
Good for him , any footballer in the current climate out of contract to get a job anywhere is good news.
Posted by: promotion plaice, June 28, 2020, 4:22pm; Reply: 1

Looked out of his depth in League Two, good luck to him anyway.

Posted by: 139881 (Guest), June 28, 2020, 4:24pm; Reply: 2
All the best to him!!
Going to Chorley did wonders for Charlie Vernam  ;)
Posted by: Abdul19, June 28, 2020, 7:29pm; Reply: 3
He'll have to go some to keep up his David Nugent-esque goal record for them.
Posted by: pen penfras, June 28, 2020, 7:39pm; Reply: 4
Quoted from Abdul19
He'll have to go some to keep up his David Nugent-esque goal record for them.

The David Nugent who had 7 seasons scoring double figures? Plenty of strikers would dream of Nugent's record. Cardwell's would be their nightmare.

That said, he was a big part of the transformation that kept us up. And apart from his goal scoring, I always thought he looked useful. At a lower level he might get the confidence to kick on.
Posted by: moosey_club, June 28, 2020, 7:48pm; Reply: 5
i honestly thought we still had him under contract, seem to recall being slightly bemused when Jolley actually extended his contract. Had that expired already?
oh well, i quite liked the look of him but seemed to get injured every pre season and by the time he was injury free never looked upto speed enough to break through.

3yrs, 30 odd appearances, 1(?) goal ......tells a story.

Posted by: Abdul19, June 28, 2020, 8:10pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from pen penfras

The David Nugent who had 7 seasons scoring double figures? Plenty of strikers would dream of Nugent's record. Cardwell's would be their nightmare.

Impressive research of Nugent's career, but I was merely referring to his England record of 1 goal in 11 minutes (Cardwell has an admittedly less impressive record of 1 goal in 29 minutes for Chorley).
Posted by: HertsGTFC, June 28, 2020, 10:34pm; Reply: 7
Good luck to the lad hope this is a good re-boot for his career
Posted by: Abdul19, June 28, 2020, 10:37pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from moosey_club
i honestly thought we still had him under contract, seem to recall being slightly bemused when Jolley actually extended his contract. Had that expired already?

Jolley extended his original 2 year deal (signed summer 2017) by an extra year.
Posted by: fishboyUTM, June 28, 2020, 11:25pm; Reply: 9
Wish him well but he was dreadful for Town. No point in sugar coating it. Good luck to him and I hope he proves me and many others wrong.
Posted by: diehardmariner, June 29, 2020, 8:55am; Reply: 10
Not sure I would agree he was dreadful.

He was integral in that side under Jolley that avoided the drop.  He added something we really needed in that frontline, a workhorse.  He ran his socks off during the run in and quite literally won a few penalties that proved to be one of our lifelines in the end.

That summer I thought there was the potential to make a good player out of him. Physically he had the build to be a very effective League Two forward.  Problem was he seemed to need a run of games to get going but could never stay fit long enough to get them under his belt.

I think the injuries looked to have seriously dented his confidence, frustrated me towards the end that he seemed reluctant to use his size to any sort of advantage but we all saw the difference in Vernam of a player with and without confidence.

Best performance in a Town shirt was as an emergency centre-half at Palace. Hopefully another spell at Chorley will give him the boost he needs to get his career back on track.
Posted by: Boris Johnson, June 29, 2020, 10:38am; Reply: 11
Never a league player, never.

Chorley FM....Coming in your ears!!
Posted by: sam gy, June 29, 2020, 11:49am; Reply: 12
He must've had something to have come through the ranks at the likes of Hull, Reading and Brighton. As others have said, he's been blighted with injuries since he's been with us...anytime he seemed to play well, he'd get injured.

He obviously went to Chorley and scored on his debut (which he then got injured in). Hope he can stay fit and crack on...seems a nice guy.
Print page generated: March 29, 2024, 6:57am