Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: gtfc82, June 13, 2020, 6:06pm
Does anyone know when the final decision on Macclesfield's punishment will be made? My friend at work hates Stevenage with a passion and is desperate for them to be relegated.
Posted by: CodHead, June 13, 2020, 6:24pm; Reply: 1
Quoted from gtfc82
Does anyone know when the final decision on Macclesfield's punishment will be made? My friend at work hates Stevenage with a passion and is desperate for them to be relegated.

Not sure mate
But 100% agree with your work friend
Posted by: Epworth Mariner, June 14, 2020, 8:04am; Reply: 2
Decision meeting was apparently held last Friday.......just waiting for announcement
Posted by: IlkleyMariner, June 14, 2020, 8:18am; Reply: 3
Could be legal challenges being heard in private, but can't go on much longer.

Alternatively they have decided but await the National League vote on Monday.  If the National League vote to scrap the season, only Barrow go up to replace Bury and no other relegation from league 2
Posted by: fishboyUTM, June 16, 2020, 1:12pm; Reply: 4
Think your mate will be disappointed. Reckon they will deduct more points from Macclesfield and they'll go down. Quite rightly as well, they've been taking the urine and are clearly insolvent.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, June 16, 2020, 1:37pm; Reply: 5
If Macclesfield are relegated I can't see the National League accepting them.
Posted by: arryarryarry, June 16, 2020, 10:28pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from jamesgtfc
If Macclesfield are relegated I can't see the National League accepting them.

I thought that the EFL had stated that no clubs will be relegated to the National League unless the N.L. confirm that next season will be started so there will be a place for the relegated team to play so if the N.L. will not accept Macclesfield then they may end up not being relegated and only one team (Barrow) come up.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, June 16, 2020, 10:54pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from arryarryarry

I thought that the EFL had stated that no clubs will be relegated to the National League unless the N.L. confirm that next season will be started so there will be a place for the relegated team to play so if the N.L. will not accept Macclesfield then they may end up not being relegated and only one team (Barrow) come up.

My point was more to do with the National League having more of a backbone when it comes to financial problems.
Posted by: arryarryarry, June 16, 2020, 11:11pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from jamesgtfc

My point was more to do with the National League having more of a backbone when it comes to financial problems.

I understand that, my point was that if the N.L. don't accept them they may not be relegated.
Posted by: aldi_01, June 17, 2020, 6:45am; Reply: 9
I think the NL jumped the gun a little but also, just had the balderdash to make a decision, unlike the EFL and PL that have just allowed this to drag on and then based their decision to play on entirely on financial decisions rather than for the good of the game and health of players and so forth.

It’s hard, in a points based system I have no doubt Stevenage would’ve gone down. They have been woeful all season but, Macclesfield have clearly flouted the rules, have loved beyond their means and have found themselves in serious financial trouble. It may be excrement for the fans (although I’m sure they enjoyed their promotion season, again, a season they clearly overspent in) but the EFL needs to grow a pair and enforce the punishment they have outlined in their rules.

I can see that being Stevenage’s saving grace...it’s a mess though and although Macclesfield isn’t a bad away day, I’m not sure anyone will be disappointed either will go.

The NL have a bigger decision around start dates, which naturally will impact the decision, but also we know the NL has a spine and won’t accept clubs in Macclesfield’s position so they could go down again...
Posted by: IlkleyMariner, June 17, 2020, 10:15am; Reply: 10
Quoted from IlkleyMariner
Could be legal challenges being heard in private, but can't go on much longer.

Alternatively they have decided but await the National League vote on Monday.  If the National League vote to scrap the season, only Barrow go up to replace Bury and no other relegation from league 2

Might find out today

If National League vote to promote Barrow and have playoffs for second promotion that clears the way for a relegation from league 2. If not, Barrow go up and Stevenage and Macclesfield saved.

Macclesfield can only be relegated if National League agree to take them
Stevenage would be taken by National League

All will be clear soon.
Posted by: psgmariner, June 17, 2020, 10:23am; Reply: 11

ROLLS BUILDING
REMOTE HEARINGS
Before INSOLVENCY AND COMPANIES COURT JUDGE BARBER

Wednesday 17 June 2020
At 10:30 AM

Winding Up Petitions By Skype

HMRC CASES

1. CR-2019-000810 MACCLESFIELD TOWN FOOTBALL CLUB,LIMITED
Posted by: IlkleyMariner, June 17, 2020, 11:25am; Reply: 12
Quoted from psgmariner

ROLLS BUILDING
REMOTE HEARINGS
Before INSOLVENCY AND COMPANIES COURT JUDGE BARBER

Wednesday 17 June 2020
At 10:30 AM

Winding Up Petitions By Skype

HMRC CASES

1. CR-2019-000810 MACCLESFIELD TOWN FOOTBALL CLUB,LIMITED

That would simplify decisions but save Stevenage who won only 3 games!

Posted by: promotion plaice, June 17, 2020, 11:28am; Reply: 13

Macclesfield winding up order adjourned for twelve weeks.

Posted by: IlkleyMariner, June 17, 2020, 11:28am; Reply: 14
Macclesfield winding up order hearing postponed for 12 weeks!

The saga goes on
Posted by: grimsby pete, June 17, 2020, 11:56am; Reply: 15
Quoted from promotion plaice

Macclesfield winding up order adjourned for twelve weeks.

Why do they need another 12 weeks ?

We all know they have done enough to have another points deduction.
Posted by: IlkleyMariner, June 17, 2020, 12:00pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from grimsby pete

Why do they need another 12 weeks ?

We all know they have done enough to have another points deduction.

It's the judge who has adjourned it not the EFL
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, June 17, 2020, 2:26pm; Reply: 17
Not all clear soon then.

The authorities have a lot of work to do to get a grip with struggling clubs. There is very little financial or practical help generally for clubs.  We are at the thin edge of the wedge.
Posted by: psgmariner, June 17, 2020, 2:51pm; Reply: 18
I think most winding up petitions are adjourned now if you can prove Covid is having an impact on cash flow (obviously for football clubs it is and easy to prove).
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, June 19, 2020, 10:09pm; Reply: 19
Deducted 2 points and fined £20K.  Stevenage relegated then.

(BBC website 20 mins ago).
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, June 19, 2020, 10:10pm; Reply: 20
Deducted 2 points and fined £20K.  Stevenage relegated then.

(BBC website 20 mins ago).
Posted by: ginnywings, June 19, 2020, 11:32pm; Reply: 21
Just seen this on BBC website. Hopefully, the National League is alive and well next season and can welcome Stevenage back where they belong. If so, hope we never play them again.
Posted by: mimma, June 19, 2020, 11:39pm; Reply: 22
The whole point of a salary cap is to prevent clubs overspending. If the FA grew a pair, and kicked out teams that overspend and then can't pay their staff there wouldn't need to be a salary cap.

One problem with the cap is where teams are relegated, like Sunderland for example. They would have to be allowed to breach the cap because their players would be on contracts, so they would have a massive advantage over the rest.It also works the other way, with teams that are promoted. Their players would be on a lot less than the rest in the Championship which would cause them massive problems keeping their players.

As I say, to solve the problem of teams like Macclesfield, make the punishment fit the crime. If they know in advance that they face relegation / expulsion they would think twice about overspending.
Posted by: pen penfras, June 20, 2020, 8:29am; Reply: 23
Quoted from mimma
The whole point of a salary cap is to prevent clubs overspending. If the FA grew a pair, and kicked out teams that overspend and then can't pay their staff there wouldn't need to be a salary cap.

One problem with the cap is where teams are relegated, like Sunderland for example. They would have to be allowed to breach the cap because their players would be on contracts, so they would have a massive advantage over the rest.It also works the other way, with teams that are promoted. Their players would be on a lot less than the rest in the Championship which would cause them massive problems keeping their players.

As I say, to solve the problem of teams like Macclesfield, make the punishment fit the crime. If they know in advance that they face relegation / expulsion they would think twice about overspending.

The problem is that there is no salary cap or FFP in place. As Andy Holt said, you can tick a box saying you will fund it as the owner/sugar daddy. If that person suddenly decides to pull the plug, or even had no intention to do it in the first place, you have to punish a club for one person's malpractice. That person usually then leaves and everybody else picks up the mess that was left behind.

Maybe owners should have to pay a bond to the EFL if they're going to tick that box. Can't get the money back unless the clubs books are balanced at the time they want it back.
Posted by: GollyGTFC, June 20, 2020, 8:51am; Reply: 24
The salary cap has so many loopholes and exclusions in its current form that it’s practically worthless.

Turnover can include donations and equity purchase from owners. i.e. rich owners can generate unlimited turnover.

Players developed through the clubs academy are excluded until the player is 21 at the start of the season. This means that for the first 3 years as a pro a player won’t count towards FFP. So Mattie Pollock and co don’t count towards our FFP and Harry Clifton was only counted for the first time in 2019/20.

Relegated clubs do not have to count any player contract signed before September 1st during the season they were relegated. So if Hull are relegated this season their FFP calculation next season in League 1 would exclude all contracts that started before 1st September 2019. Sunderland have benefitted from this and the fact they are still receiving EPL parachute payments.

A £1.25m salary cap is an absolute unworkable joke of a suggestion. It would widen the disparity between each step of the football league.

A much better system is to simply toughen up the sanctions for financial matters. Administration = demotion. Any football debt at end of season (wages, money owed to other clubs etc.) = demotion. If you are relegated anyway you drop 2 levels.

For some bizarre reason English football just allows financial doping. That needs to change.

I have no problem with any owner(s) bankrolling clubs. Salford and FGR don’t bother me. But Bury and Macclesfield and countless other clubs spending money they don’t have has to be stopped.
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, June 20, 2020, 9:20am; Reply: 25
I'm no Stevenage fan but it doesn't sit right with me that Macc have spent a second season repeatedly failing to pay players and appear pretty much insolvent yet will be there again next season.
Posted by: GollyGTFC, June 20, 2020, 9:33am; Reply: 26
Quoted from Rodley Mariner
I'm no Stevenage fan but it doesn't sit right with me that Macc have spent a second season repeatedly failing to pay players and appear pretty much insolvent yet will be there again next season.

*Third season. They weren’t paying their players on time during the season they were promoted either.
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, June 20, 2020, 9:35am; Reply: 27
Not right is it?
Posted by: BobbyCummingsTackle, June 20, 2020, 10:12am; Reply: 28
Quoted from mimma

Yeah, just look at how Sunderland have run away with the league in the last 2 seasons and have used their financial muscle to fuel unbelievable success. B*stards.
Posted by: Gaffer58, June 20, 2020, 4:09pm; Reply: 29
Even in the premiership FFP is a joke, take Man U, they were “bought” by the Glaziers, basically on a mortgage using the clubs yearly profit  to pay the interest payments each year, but now their dept is even higher then when first bought, so why aren’t they classed as overspending. Much to complicated for my mind to work out.
Posted by: GollyGTFC, June 20, 2020, 4:22pm; Reply: 30
Quoted from Gaffer58
Even in the premiership FFP is a joke, take Man U, they were “bought” by the Glaziers, basically on a mortgage using the clubs yearly profit  to pay the interest payments each year, but now their dept is even higher then when first bought, so why aren’t they classed as overspending. Much to complicated for my mind to work out.

Sorry, but football is a business in England. And when you run a sport like a business you can't complain when people buy clubs and treat them like a business investment.
Posted by: GollyGTFC, June 20, 2020, 4:40pm; Reply: 31
Quoted from Gaffer58

Forbes's last report valued Manchester United as the most valuable football club in the world at around US$4.1 billion with debt standing at 18% of their value.

Grimsby Town's last accounts show issued share capital of £2,277,200 and debts of £2,027,250 which is 89% of value (issued shares).

So I don't think we as a club are in any position to criticise Man Utd for being in debt.
Posted by: promotion plaice, July 3, 2020, 5:55pm; Reply: 32

Looks like there's still hope for Stevenage, the EFL have announced today that they will appeal against the sanctions imposed against Macclesfield in June.
Posted by: Stranger in the Park, July 6, 2020, 12:49pm; Reply: 33
Why don't they just remove both clubs- albeit for different reasons but both valid- and promote two from the NL, instead of all the pointless procrastination.
Posted by: arryarryarry, July 6, 2020, 5:21pm; Reply: 34
Why don't they just remove both clubs- albeit for different reasons but both valid- and promote two from the NL, instead of all the pointless procrastination.

They are promoting 2 from the NL if the NL confirms that the relegated club will be accepted.
Print page generated: March 28, 2024, 1:21pm