Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: promotion plaice, June 2, 2020, 8:55pm

Obviously the season was cut short but who would you pick for "Player of the Year" anyway ?
Posted by: horsforthmariner, June 2, 2020, 9:08pm; Reply: 1
It so long ago, and a pretty uneventful season - the only things I can remember were done by Charles Vernam - so him
Posted by: mariner tommy, June 3, 2020, 8:24am; Reply: 2
My vote would go to Vernam.
Posted by: Madeleymariner, June 3, 2020, 8:37am; Reply: 3
Hessenthaler, Vernam has only produced in half a dozen games, and besides we cant break tradition by our player of the season not being at the club the following year  :)
Posted by: Hagrid, June 3, 2020, 9:13am; Reply: 4
Hess or Hanson
Posted by: golfer, June 3, 2020, 9:36am; Reply: 5
Thingy
Posted by: pen penfras, June 3, 2020, 9:57am; Reply: 6
Quoted from Madeleymariner
Hessenthaler, Vernam has only produced in half a dozen games, and besides we cant break tradition by our player of the season not being at the club the following year  :)

Quite how we'd cope without Hessenthaler's 50 backwards passes a game, I don't know. I quite liked him at first, but he seems to be the best player when we're bad and obsolete when we play well. I'd like to see what he could have done with Holloway's infuence, because maybe he was instructed to never pass it forwards, but other than being good at breaking play up he offered little else.
Posted by: diehardmariner, June 3, 2020, 11:05am; Reply: 7
Just thinking about it reminds me how pretty poor we were for vast parts of the season.

Hanson - Started like a house on fire then tailed off (arguably because we didn't play to his strengths) and then couldn't stay fit.

Hess - As above, tidy and effective but didn't think he reached the levels of the season before and suffered when played further forward in my opinion.

Vernam - Seriously on fire from the Scunthorpe home game onwards.  Bradford away was the zenith of his powers in my eyes, especially the second half.  I know he hit the hat-trick with that goal before it but it was more the way everyone in the ground knew that he was the one who was going to do something, even the Bradford defenders but they couldn't do anything about it.  But is that a long enough streak to justify POTY?

Other than that I'm struggling...McKeown fairly steady but not spectacular.  Hendrie not as good as the year before (injuries I understand).....God knows.

Brings home that we're far from the finished article for whenever things resume.
Posted by: 140067 (Guest), June 3, 2020, 11:21am; Reply: 8
Conterndors Vernon, Hessintarler, polock, mackeown, hansan.
Posted by: Boris Johnson, June 3, 2020, 11:30am; Reply: 9
Difficult one, no one really consistent, players had good runs of form....

maybe Vernhum for me
Posted by: CodHead, June 3, 2020, 12:20pm; Reply: 10
[quote=140067]Conterndors Vernon, Hessintarler, polock, mackeown, hansan.[/quote

Did you ever do spelling as a kid?
Posted by: Bigdog, June 3, 2020, 1:22pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from pen penfras

Quite how we'd cope without Hessenthaler's 50 backwards passes a game, I don't know. I quite liked him at first, but he seems to be the best player when we're bad and obsolete when we play well. I'd like to see what he could have done with Holloway's infuence, because maybe he was instructed to never pass it forwards, but other than being good at breaking play up he offered little else.

Hess was top of the stats in League Two for the past two seasons for breaking up play and he was integral in us keeping possession. More than enough to be considered for POTY and offered the team plenty in his specific role imho.

POTY - Hess before his injury.. Vernam after Hess's injury.. Steady Eddie Macca over the season..
Posted by: 140067 (Guest), June 3, 2020, 3:57pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from CodHead
[quote=140067]Conterndors Vernon, Hessintarler, polock, mackeown, hansan.[/quote

Did you ever do spelling as a kid?

Yep at hogwits, more Cummings than Cumming and goings.
Posted by: moosey_club, June 3, 2020, 6:07pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from golfer
Thingy

Carried
Posted by: WayneBurnettsJockstrap, June 3, 2020, 8:23pm; Reply: 14
Considering how little anyone performed well from October to December there is only a few scant months of football to consider.

Hanson started well but was cut off by injury. Hess OK then cut off in his prime.
Chaz has thrived under Ollie since January.
Macca has been steady throughout.

Your guess is as good as mine.
Print page generated: April 18, 2024, 8:02pm