Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: MarinerDevil, May 28, 2020, 3:51pm
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52833725

The Premier League season is set to restart on 17 June with Aston Villa v Sheffield United and Manchester City v Arsenal, the BBC has learned.

The matches are the two games in hand.

A full fixture list would then be played on the weekend of 19-21 June.

No mention of free-to-air yet.
Posted by: marinerdazza, May 28, 2020, 4:05pm; Reply: 1
meh
Posted by: Fishbone, May 28, 2020, 4:29pm; Reply: 2
Just a cautious thought. It was reported that:
"12 people have tested positive for coronavirus after 2,752 tests across the league".
Doesn't sound much, and indeed under 0.5 (0.436) percent - but if this sample were representative of the wider population, 290,594 people would test positive.
Posted by: Abdul19, May 28, 2020, 4:35pm; Reply: 3
Hopefully West Ham go down.
Posted by: promotion plaice, May 28, 2020, 4:41pm; Reply: 4
Quoted from Abdul19
Hopefully West Ham go down.

I fancy Liverpool to win the title    8)

Posted by: aldi_01, May 28, 2020, 6:44pm; Reply: 5
So essentially, for many, their lives have pretty much returned to normal...let’s face it, it’s a league for armchair fans anyway
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, May 28, 2020, 6:57pm; Reply: 6
Does anyone else not give a fook or is it just me ?
Posted by: ginnywings, May 28, 2020, 7:43pm; Reply: 7
Some Prem games to be shown live on BBC for the first time.
Posted by: Grimbiggs, May 28, 2020, 7:44pm; Reply: 8
Well it's better than nothing, with the BBC reported to be broadcasting some games. Kick-off times are:-     Friday/ Monday: 8pm,  Saturday: 1230, 3, 530 and 8pm, Sunday: 12, 2, 430 and 7pm, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday: 6 and 8pm.
Posted by: GrimRob, May 28, 2020, 8:46pm; Reply: 9
Doesn't feel like there is that much to play for. Top 1 is certain, Top 4 nearly certain. Bottom two look doomed.No big clubs in danger of the thid relegation place. Sheff Utd finishing in the top 5 is about the most interesting thing. You could more or less take the league table now and it will end that way. The Championship is a bit more interesting and the prospect of us and Hull being only a division away whenever "next" season begins
Posted by: LH, May 28, 2020, 9:14pm; Reply: 10
Championship will be a better watch (as it usually is).I hope that the testing results from both divisions are reflective of society in general. Quite encouraging numbers.
Posted by: moosey_club, May 28, 2020, 9:29pm; Reply: 11
Let them be the guinea pigs for our next season whenever that is.

Will be interesting to hear the players now that there will be no crowd noise, i wonder how much more swearing, general dissent and pathetic screaming will be audible, i reckon within a week the players will suddenly realise what arshols they sound like when they can be clearly heard with no crowd masking them.

Also i wonder if the pace of the game will slow without the crowd urging players on.
Posted by: Boris Johnson, May 28, 2020, 11:56pm; Reply: 12
absolutley buzzing for this.........................not
Posted by: toontown, May 29, 2020, 8:30am; Reply: 13
Personally I am pleased it's back on but only for the money that will hopefully be generated and passed down to ELF club's from it. Don't give a shite otherwise. In the long term could definitely be a negative for us and other smaller club's with people starting to watch premier league footy and getting sucked into that rather than going to the game. If people start to crack open a few cansofbeer and watch th match on the box for weeks they may get into the habit of doing that.

Probably won't change behaviour if it's a few weeks to finish off the season but if league 2 struggles to get started again by September or October it might...
Posted by: lukeo, May 29, 2020, 8:37am; Reply: 14
I'm happy about this, now I live on my own I may watch the odd game if I'm really bored. It will be strange with no crowds though, I may have to play YouTube clips of the travelling gtfc fans to make me feel more comfortable watching 😂
Posted by: GrimRob, May 29, 2020, 1:00pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from toontown
Personally I am pleased it's back on but only for the money that will hopefully be generated and passed down to ELF club's from it. Don't give a shite otherwise. In the long term could definitely be a negative for us and other smaller club's with people starting to watch premier league footy and getting sucked into that rather than going to the game. If people start to crack open a few cansofbeer and watch th match on the box for weeks they may get into the habit of doing that.

Probably won't change behaviour if it's a few weeks to finish off the season but if league 2 struggles to get started again by September or October it might...

Only the other hand if crowds return first to lower league football then it might work our better for us. Watching games on TV without crowds is not much a draw. I was watching the NRL game on Sky this morning and they have recordings, it just feels fake. So much of televised sport is the crowd which is why we keep getting shown shots from the stands.
Posted by: mike_d, May 29, 2020, 11:09pm; Reply: 16
If the clubs have to perform behind closed doors, why don't they play at lower league clubs, pay them a gate fee - that way they still get their TV money for fulfilling a season, and the lower league clubs get a vital lifeline and TV exposure.
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, May 31, 2020, 5:43am; Reply: 17
Can’t wait for prime time Southampton v Norwich 😳
Posted by: ginnywings, May 31, 2020, 8:51am; Reply: 18
All competitive sport now allowed behind closed doors from tomorrow.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/52862637

I see that there was a cricket match played in Guernsey with 84,000 watching on youtube. Maybe this will be the new normal for a while with sporting fixtures.
Posted by: Meza, May 31, 2020, 8:58am; Reply: 19
why cant fans return if they are to wear face masks and ppe gloves, surely that's as all that is needed than not having anything at all.
Posted by: jock dock tower, May 31, 2020, 10:11am; Reply: 20
Quoted from ginnywings
All competitive sport now allowed behind closed doors from tomorrow.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/52862637

I see that there was a cricket match played in Guernsey with 84,000 watching on youtube. Maybe this will be the new normal for a while with sporting fixtures.

I also see that horse racing resumes shortly. As Carole Cadwalladr notes, the MP for Newmarket - one Matthew Hancock, the Health Secretary - has benefited to the tune of £100,000 this year from the racing industry. Anyone else think the two issues are unrelated? Cheltenham any clearer for folk now? It's an old adage, but usually spot on, just follow the money.
Print page generated: April 26, 2024, 7:49pm