Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: FFS, May 24, 2020, 10:52am
I’ve remained silent for years but I cannot any more.

Do not donate to the Crowdfunder. And I speak as someone who donated a substantial sum to Operation Promotion.

The club is going to the wire.  You will be throwing your money away.

The money you donate will not fund new players - at best it will fund the club’s running costs or at worst end up in the back pocket of a certain shareholder.

The Directors are there for a reason. In times of hardship it is THEIR job to fund the club. But they will not. Not now.  They are running scared of the black hole that is approaching. They know it, but will not admit it to you.  News will emerge soon to confirm this.

The majority shareholder especially will not put his hand in his pocket now. His strategy over the last five years has been to claw back money from the club - to make himself good, while clinging on to his “legacy”.  He is not about to reverse this strategy.

If you donate you will be contributing to the never ending circle of poor board decisions, and wastage.  We are not “well run”.  If we were we would not still be printing our tickets with a dot matrix printer from the early 80s.  We would not be writing season ticket holder details in a book. Any “well run” club would have a CRM system in the 21st century.  Any well run club would be in a new ground by now (at the fifth time of asking).  We are not and never will be under the current leadership. They are not capable of delivering it. Freeman Street is a dead duck.

If the Directors will not contribute then why should you the fan (especially a season ticket holder who has already lost out this season) put their own hands in their pockets?  

This is a time of great hardship.  Lives and livelihoods are being lost.  Keep your money safe for tomorrow - you may need it.

BUT IT IS A GOOD THING if you don’t donate.  Desperate times need desperate measures.  And as each day goes by the Shutes consortium are moving closer to closing the deal on their terms, not Fenty’s.  

The takeover will mark a new golden age for GTFC.

Please keep your money in your pocket and let the natural course of events take their path.

Do NOT donate to the crowdfunder.
Posted by: barralad, May 24, 2020, 11:29am; Reply: 1
Go on then...

The crowdfunder isn't to fund new players. It's a recognition by some fans that the current situation is very serious and that they want to do something to help..
Posted by: HertsGTFC, May 24, 2020, 12:01pm; Reply: 2
Quoted from FFS

Do not donate to the Crowdfunder. And I speak as someone who donated a substantial sum to Operation Promotion.

The money you donate will not fund new players - at best it will fund the club’s running costs or at worst end up in the back pocket of a certain shareholder.

The Directors are there for a reason. In times of hardship it is THEIR job to fund the club. But they will not. Not now.  They are running scared of the black hole that is approaching. They know it, but will not admit it to you.  News will emerge soon to confirm this.

The majority shareholder especially will not put his hand in his pocket now. His strategy over the last five years has been to claw back money from the club - to make himself good, while clinging on to his “legacy”.  He is not about to reverse this strategy.

If you donate you will be contributing to the never ending circle of poor board decisions, and wastage.  We are not “well run”.  If we were we would not still be printing our tickets with a dot matrix printer from the early 80s.  We would not be writing season ticket holder details in a book. Any “well run” club would have a CRM system in the 21st century.  Any well run club would be in a new ground by now (at the fifth time of asking).  We are not and never will be under the current leadership. They are not capable of delivering it. Freeman Street is a dead duck.

If the Directors will not contribute then why should you the fan (especially a season ticket holder who has already lost out this season) put their own hands in their pockets?  

This is a time of great hardship.  Lives and livelihoods are being lost.  Keep your money safe for tomorrow - you may need it.

BUT IT IS A GOOD THING if you don’t donate.  Desperate times need desperate measures.  And as each day goes by the Shutes consortium are moving closer to closing the deal on their terms, not Fenty’s.  

Please keep your money in your pocket and let the natural course of events take their path.

Thanks Tom ...

Posted by: LH, May 24, 2020, 1:32pm; Reply: 3
Where’s FFS when you need him?
Posted by: Knut Anders Fosters Voles, May 24, 2020, 1:47pm; Reply: 4
Quoted from LH

Probably in Barnard Castle (or Gallimore Fort)
Posted by: GrimExile, May 24, 2020, 3:08pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from FFS

This is NOT to buy players, it is to do our little bit to try and keep our beloved club afloat and that little bit healthier in these extraordinary times. I think I can safely say this is the most ridiculous post I’ve ever ever read, and I’ve read a few.
Posted by: arryarryarry, May 24, 2020, 4:41pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from GrimExile

This is NOT to buy players, it is to do our little bit to try and keep our beloved club afloat and that little bit healthier in these extraordinary times. I think I can safely say this is the most ridiculous post I’ve ever ever read, and I’ve read a few.

It would probably be better received if the Board members came out and promised to match the total raised.
Posted by: Iknowyoursecret, May 25, 2020, 12:48am; Reply: 7
Or at least a percentage of what’s raised
Posted by: aldi_01, May 25, 2020, 8:15am; Reply: 8
Or may be some stipulations on what it can be spent on.

I take what Holloway says with a pinch of salt, regardless of his experience in the game, he’s been here five minutes and his comment is merely an attempt to show potential signings that they won’t be heading in to a club like Macclesfield for instance.

We’ve been told that money that has gone out of the club to a certain person is not paying the loans but goes out because it can’t be spent on players so it’s simpler to take it out, or words pretty much to that effect. I mean aside from redeveloping the training ground, ticketing systems, changing facilities, youth setup and so forth, now is the time that that money, had it been sat in an account, been extremely useful I’d guess.

I mean who the intercourse knows with GTFC. I can see why some would be tempted to donate to a crowd fund for the club but until the fans are genuinely given some respect, let’s face it, we’re still waiting for an apology after our glorious safety manager implied we’re all trouble makers, then many will not.

Being well run isn’t always about pounds and pence. It goes well beyond that.

So with all due respect for the club, they’ve had nigh on £750+ a year from me for the last 10 at least, that’s all they’ll be getting...the list of reasons for that is endless...
Posted by: Iknowyoursecret, May 25, 2020, 11:49am; Reply: 9
Wot no offer from directors,no good
Posted by: supertown, August 1, 2020, 10:52pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from LH

In the pub I reckon
Posted by: BraStrap, August 1, 2020, 11:15pm; Reply: 11
The whole point of crowd funding is you give away money you can afford to lose
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, August 1, 2020, 11:25pm; Reply: 12
Golden age . Shutes . Yeah right .
Posted by: mimma, August 2, 2020, 1:58pm; Reply: 13
I'm not going to let FFS or anyone else with extreme views tell me what I should or should not do with my money.

I don't agree with a single letter of the original post, I think whoever posted it is just a troll trying to stir it up.

If you want to get fans going, then I suggest you go on the scunny site, and rev them up about their next manager, and leave us proper fans alone.
Posted by: SDUTM, August 2, 2020, 2:24pm; Reply: 14
We will only have a black hole if they don’t manage to get us the fans back into the ground. This also needs to be sooner rather than later and for me should be at the expense of no away crowd to allow as many home fans in as possible.

I must admit that I would feel happier about the Club if the one and only director with money came out and declared his stance on things. Is he going to cover any deficit or not? I’m led to believe that he does not want to put any money into the club however I fail to see him letting it go under as he is the major creditor that we have and therefore his own money would be gone!
Posted by: GollyGTFC, August 2, 2020, 2:49pm; Reply: 15
Whatever you think of that rant...

Shutes and his consortium were/are expected to provide proof of funds incase the club faces hardship, but it seems the current regime aren’t prepared to put any money into the club at this difficult time. You only have to look at recent club accounts to see how much the club has repaid to JSF in the past few years. That’s money that sat in the clubs bank account would make a huge difference to the club right now.

The current board like to paint a picture that the debt to the owner is because of ITV digital and a historic HMRC debt. But 2008/09 and 2009/10 we lost £2m as we spunked cash in a successful and then unsuccessful attempt to stay in the football league whilst paying off manager after manager and useless player after useless player.

To put that in context the £2m that we overspent in those 2 years under Fenty’s watch is greater than the debt which is still owed to him.

Personally I think he doesn’t deserve to be repaid the money as it was his decision to spend it in a desperate attempt to repair his abject running of the club.
Posted by: aldi_01, August 3, 2020, 8:10am; Reply: 16
Quoted from GollyGTFC
Whatever you think of that rant...

Shutes and his consortium were/are expected to provide proof of funds incase the club faces hardship, but it seems the current regime aren’t prepared to put any money into the club at this difficult time. You only have to look at recent club accounts to see how much the club has repaid to JSF in the past few years. That’s money that sat in the clubs bank account would make a huge difference to the club right now.

The current board like to paint a picture that the debt to the owner is because of ITV digital and a historic HMRC debt. But 2008/09 and 2009/10 we lost £2m as we spunked cash in a successful and then unsuccessful attempt to stay in the football league whilst paying off manager after manager and useless player after useless player.

To put that in context the £2m that we overspent in those 2 years under Fenty’s watch is greater than the debt which is still owed to him.

Personally I think he doesn’t deserve to be repaid the money as it was his decision to spend it in a desperate attempt to repair his abject running of the club.

One hundred percent this...which is why not any crowd funder will receive a penny of my cash. I haven’t heard or seen a single board member put their own hand in their pocket...perhaps they shouldn’t have to but it might show a sense of solidarity and support for the club. If they have then I’ve missed that one.

People can have their view on the original post but whilst those stank their feet and say they’ll do whatever they want with their cash, same as you can choose your opinion on the running of the club and any potential free money they’ll get...
Posted by: golfer, August 3, 2020, 8:27am; Reply: 17
Everything switches round to JSF bashing - it's about time we started blaming him for the virus - now that could really take off.
Posted by: aldi_01, August 3, 2020, 8:45am; Reply: 18
I don’t think there has been any Fenty bashing, just a representation of the facts.

There’s plenty to bash him for but simply stating he has taken money out of the club whilst none of it has seemingly contributed to clearing his loans is fact.
Posted by: It Bites, August 3, 2020, 9:09am; Reply: 19
[quote=156]I'm not going to let FFS or anyone else with extreme views tell me what I should or should not do with my money.

Extreme Views ? . Seriously ? . I think you have been watching too many politicians . It's a lazy argument calling someone extreme for having a different view of things to yourself . Here's an extreme thought for you. ...... Don't type anything without thinking it through

Posted by: arryarryarry, August 3, 2020, 1:40pm; Reply: 20
How much do the current directors have invested in the club?
Posted by: golfer, August 3, 2020, 2:45pm; Reply: 21
About £3000000
Posted by: MarinerDevil, August 3, 2020, 3:55pm; Reply: 22
People shouldn't be pressured either way on this.  Fans will always be there for the club so it should be no shock that plenty are providing what they can to survive this crisis.  

But the frustration shown towards the majority shareholder is valid, despite the fact that it appears to go over old ground.

The main benefit of having a wealthy benefactor is financial security in times such as these.  So will there be new investment to shore up finances and build a good squad for the rapidly approaching restart?  I haven't heard anything.  

Which begs the perfectly reasonable question: what is the point of him?
Posted by: mimma, August 3, 2020, 4:23pm; Reply: 23
Millionaires are not exactly queuing at Blundell Park gates to donate a few million quid are they? Fenty has always said that he would step aside if someone else wishes to take over the club. He actually agreed a deal with Shutes to sell, but so far he hasn't been able to show proof of funds required.
Posted by: SDUTM, August 3, 2020, 4:28pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from MarinerDevil
People shouldn't be pressured either way on this.  Fans will always be there for the club so it should be no shock that plenty are providing what they can to survive this crisis.  

But the frustration shown towards the majority shareholder is valid, despite the fact that it appears to go over old ground.

The main benefit of having a wealthy benefactor is financial security in times such as these.  So will there be new investment to shore up finances and build a good squad for the rapidly approaching restart?  I haven't heard anything.  

Which begs the perfectly reasonable question: what is the point of him?

No investment coming anytime soon for JSF I’m afraid

Posted by: blundellpork, August 3, 2020, 4:41pm; Reply: 25
In the interest of balance, for those looking to hammer the board- do we know that they haven’t, or won’t put money in? Could it be that our short term cash flow is ok, and that actually money is not needed for a few more weeks/ months?

It appears to me that we are taking a cautious wait and see approach. With this recent rise in infections and possible increase in restrictions, it makes sense not to rush out and sign a load of players, piling up debt and then still not have an income stream.
Posted by: moosey_club, August 3, 2020, 5:37pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from blundellpork
In the interest of balance, for those looking to hammer the board- do we know that they haven’t, or won’t put money in? Could it be that our short term cash flow is ok, and that actually money is not needed for a few more weeks/ months?

It appears to me that we are taking a cautious wait and see approach. With this recent rise in infections and possible increase in restrictions, it makes sense not to rush out and sign a load of players, piling up debt and then still not have an income stream.

Nah, let's just stick with calling them tight cntz.
From memory they were opted onto the board for professional services/knowledge and no doubt a like mindedness with JSF ....not for their financial investment. Apart from Ollie of course who was said to have put in 100k.
If JSF has now taken his ball home regards further investing apart from generously underwriting potential losses with more loans then we are definitely looking at a very tight ship as we stand. It will be very much a budget based on solid income, not speculative in any way.
That's why this season will be very tricky to build much more than we already have squad wise unless some very cute dealings are done.
Posted by: 140067 (Guest), August 3, 2020, 7:51pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from FFS

Utter tripe, bullocks, bile, bilge. Obvious aimed at John Fenty. Well yes he may have been in charge when we went down to National League, but he stood by us, Grimsby Town. We're all Town. Like many on here I have bought shares, not had a refund, spent 100s in the club shop. You are entitled to your little opinion, but you come over as someone who thinks the world owes them. Don't ask what your club can do for you, ask what you can do for your club. Oh yes people are dying as well it's a terrible time. I just hope in my little way I keep my club going. I am one of many who look forward to each game., always thinking we'll win. UTMM.
Posted by: mimma, August 3, 2020, 8:17pm; Reply: 28
well put sir!
Posted by: aldi_01, August 4, 2020, 7:12am; Reply: 29
I think we all know, rightly or wrongly, much like ITV digital, Coronavirus will be the justification for the club not moving forward for a long time.

Since returning to the league the lack of ambition has been there for all to see. Much like the cash that has left the club, if the person is happy to take that out rather than reinvest in areas of the club then that’s their choice. Seems odd to me if you allegedly support the club, and seems odd that you wouldn’t count it against the debt. I mean that would increase chances of someone willing to purchase the club.

Much like with Shutes, he’s actually done nothing wrong. His only failing is he doesn’t want to play a silly game or sing along to the tune of Fenty and co. People can say the club are right to want to see proof of funds but it appears more of a way for the club to put obstacles in the way. Fenty has always claimed he’d sell the club but how much does he actually mean that.

This debate will always cover old ground but fans should really see that it’s an opinion people are entitled to have, the aggression towards those who dare to question and slag off has always been odd. People aren’t doing it out of hate, they’re doing it because they love the club. It’s their opinion. I don’t understand why anyone would support the regime but I wouldn’t say what they’re saying is twaddle or stupid.

It’s a debate that will rumble on for years, even after Fenty leaves, if he ever does.

Much like other board members; brought in because of their skills yet it’s seemingly more to do with them being chums with Fenty and having the same mindset rather than actual skills to move the club forward.

The crowd funder was always going to split opinion and the more I think, my own views aren’t relevant. If people want to sling some money in whether they can afford it or not, that’s their choice.
Posted by: golfer, August 4, 2020, 8:39am; Reply: 30
I don't think people will sling money in if they "can't afford it"
Posted by: aldi_01, August 4, 2020, 11:22am; Reply: 31
Quoted from golfer
I don't think people will sling money in if they "can't afford it"

Oh I agree, but I’ve also had conversations with several fans who have felt hardship yet still gave the crowd funder £20. Stupidity on their part perhaps but these things are naturally emotive and sometimes people make blind decisions when it comes to their club.

And to be fair, the phrase ‘slinging money they can’t afford at it’ is rather synonymous with football don’t ya think?
Posted by: Iknowyoursecret, August 4, 2020, 7:58pm; Reply: 32
Estate agent is axed over anti-Jew Tweets
By OLIVER NORTON
29th July 2014, 11:00 pm
Updated: 6th April 2016, 9:19 am
AN ESTATE agent has been fired for tweeting anti-Jewish slurs.

Sales and marketing consultant Richard Ladd posted vile comments in response to an online spat between two footballers.

After exchanges between English ace Joey Barton and his former Queens Park Rangers team-mate, Israeli Yossi Benayoun, Ladd wrote: “Shut up you ugly Jewish c***. If only Hitler was still around to sort you out.”

Bosses at McEwan Fraser Legal in Edinburgh said they were “horrified” by the posts and had sacked Ladd. Director Neil Morgan confirmed yesterday: “His employment was terminated due to gross misconduct.

“We condemn any form of intolerant or discriminatory behaviour.” Ladd is believed to be from Cleethorpes, Lincs, and to have started working at McEwan Fraser Legal in April.

He has closed his Twitter account and could not be reached for comment yesterday.

The players’ bust-up over the violence in Gaza came after Benayoun was involved in a scuffle with pro-Palestinian demonstrators during a friendly match in Austria last week.
Posted by: aldi_01, August 5, 2020, 7:20am; Reply: 33
Is this the same chap?
Posted by: SDUTM, August 5, 2020, 9:34am; Reply: 34
Quoted from aldi_01
Is this the same chap?

It is unfortunately! Do we smash somebody for the rest of their life for something that they have said? I don’t know? What he said was sick and very very stupid, if it was a moment of madness that he’s deeply sorry for is that enough for our club to be associated with? Again I don’t know as we all have a difference of opinion on how we see things and what we feel is fair justice for what he did, such as losing his job?

The main point is that he started something good for the club and it’s impossible for the club or anyone else that’s supported the Crowdfunding to know the full ins and outs of the person who started the fund and those supporting the fund are supporting the club and not him.
Print page generated: March 29, 2024, 5:23am