Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: promotion plaice, May 7, 2020, 12:31pm

Macclesfield have just been hit with a SEVEN-point deduction for failing to play a game in December and not paying players in February leaving them just three points above bottom placed Stevenage who have a game in hand.

JUST SAYING
Posted by: grimsby pete, May 7, 2020, 12:44pm; Reply: 1
Quoted from promotion plaice

Macclesfield have just been hit with a SEVEN-point deduction for failing to play a game in December and not paying players in February leaving them just three points above bottom placed Stevenage who have a game in hand.

JUST SAYING

If we do not finish the season it means nothing at all.

Unless the League have the bottom two clubs play a one off game to see who goes down.
Posted by: Dogger Bank, May 7, 2020, 1:10pm; Reply: 2
A real shame as I like Macclesfield as a club. I really hope they can sort themselves out or ultimately I can see them fading away. The coronavirus may help them regarding not getting relegated if the season is cancelled but they'll still be financially broken due to no income streams. Unfortunately I have a feeling things will not go well for them either way.
Posted by: aldi_01, May 7, 2020, 1:30pm; Reply: 3
I mean they’d probably still stay up, even if the season was going on...although I’d have imagined this fine/deduction would’ve happened a few weeks ago.

Stevenage are awful but when the season is voided this won’t mean anything...
Posted by: Grantham_Mariner, May 7, 2020, 4:37pm; Reply: 4
So if season voided.....

.....Macclesfield will have an unblemished record.
.....Stevenage will not have had their worst season in the league.
.....League 1 will start with only 23 teams again!
.....Barrow who have had possibly there best season in non league will have to try and do it again to get promotion. (Even if EFL is completed I do not see how they can be promoted as NL has been voided)

I know it might have to happen, but the EFL must explore every other option before doing it. Personally I think the season should finish how ever long it takes.
Posted by: Perkins, May 7, 2020, 11:32pm; Reply: 5
And Stevenage get away with the charge of postponing a game because of three players on international duty when they only had two that were.
Posted by: GrimRob, May 8, 2020, 7:14am; Reply: 6
A guaranteed court case if they get relegated because of the deduction.
Posted by: moosey_club, May 8, 2020, 9:15am; Reply: 7
Quoted from Grantham_Mariner
So if season voided.....

.....Macclesfield will have an unblemished record.
.....Stevenage will not have had their worst season in the league.
.....League 1 will start with only 23 teams again!
.....Barrow who have had possibly there best season in non league will have to try and do it again to get promotion. (Even if EFL is completed I do not see how they can be promoted as NL has been voided)

I know it might have to happen, but the EFL must explore every other option before doing it. Personally I think the season should finish how ever long it takes.

League 1 started the season with 24 teams didn't it ? Didn't Bury get chucked out after a few weeks ?
If the season gets wiped then would they have a case for reinstatement?

Posted by: Abdul19, May 8, 2020, 9:53am; Reply: 8
Surely an expelling is still an expelling, even it the season is voided?
Posted by: Posh Harry, May 8, 2020, 2:20pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from GrimRob
A guaranteed court case if they get relegated because of the deduction.

Not sure if they could afford the legal costs
Posted by: Ipswin, May 8, 2020, 3:03pm; Reply: 10
FFS No relegation in league 2 and promote Barrow to make up the 92
Posted by: mimma, May 8, 2020, 4:19pm; Reply: 11
Barrow are only 4 points clear. If they promoted them to replace Bury there would be legal action that's for sure.
Posted by: moosey_club, May 8, 2020, 4:21pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from Posh Harry

Not sure if they could afford the legal costs

As they dont seem to bother paying any bills i am sure it wouldnt be an issue
Posted by: tashee69, May 10, 2020, 11:42am; Reply: 13
Quoted from Ipswin
FFS No relegation in league 2 and promote Barrow to make up the 92

Leaving 23 in division 1 and 25 in division 2 🤪
Posted by: Theimperialcoroner, May 13, 2020, 6:27am; Reply: 14
I see legal action has already started in France with one of the relegated teams upset.
Posted by: aldi_01, May 13, 2020, 9:10am; Reply: 15
Legal action was always likely when you start awarding titles and relegation on guess work.

Just void it, essentially restart the season. Yes, Stevenage have been the worst side and deserves to go but equally Crewe and Swindon have been excellent but mathematically and knowing football, it still isn’t a given.

I appreciate cash is the issue at the higher levels but it’s just becoming farcical. Just void the season...
Posted by: Abdul19, May 13, 2020, 9:25am; Reply: 16
So there'd be no prospect of legal action if the season was voided?
Posted by: aldi_01, May 13, 2020, 9:38am; Reply: 17
That’s not what I I was getting at, but using awarding promotion/relegation on guesswork is a bigger issue...
Posted by: buckstown, May 13, 2020, 10:50am; Reply: 18
When I was working I used to enjoy the buzz of having to make decisions. Analyse data, go through pro's and con's, make a call, communicate to all concerned, sit back and hope!!! But I wouldn't touch this bad boy with a barge pole because there is no right answer and whatever they do there'll be trouble
Posted by: moosey_club, May 13, 2020, 5:42pm; Reply: 19
Sit and wait, conclude the season even if its behind closed doors. Any other way just leaves the door open for the laywers to start claiming and causing more & more disruption over time.
Must be settled on results otherwise it will be rounds and rounds of litigation putting any eventual restart under threat.
Posted by: Grantham_Mariner, May 13, 2020, 6:38pm; Reply: 20
We need to complete the season behind closed doors for two reasons.

1 - we do not want another wave of Corvid 19

2 - we need to asses our currant squad so we can decide who will be retained for next season.
Posted by: arryarryarry, May 13, 2020, 6:54pm; Reply: 21

1 - we do not want another wave of Corvid 19

2 - we need to asses our currant squad so we can decide who will be retained for next season.

I would hope that IH has already decided who to retain.
Posted by: Grantham_Mariner, June 1, 2020, 3:29pm; Reply: 22
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52880611

https://www.efl.com/news/2020/june/efl-statement-macclesfield-town/

Could have more points deducted!
Posted by: Gaffer58, June 1, 2020, 5:16pm; Reply: 23
Have the league decided one final positions for our league yet?
Posted by: aldi_01, June 1, 2020, 5:32pm; Reply: 24
Is the reason they haven’t decided perhaps to do with possible pending points deductions on top of what Macc already have had?

Or can they not agree a formula to decide?

The Macclesfield saga just continues...if Covid doesn’t finish them off then I’d imagine nothing will...
Posted by: 139914 (Guest), June 2, 2020, 10:19am; Reply: 25
Really uncomfortable with clubs being relegated or promoted without the season completing.  However I also can’t see any way that it can complete with this awful situation we face.  So just a few thoughts:-

1. Close the season off as the table stands at the moment.
2. Make a points adjustment based on average points per game.
3. No promotions or relegations.
3. Start a new season with the current bottom club on zero points and all clubs above start on the difference between the bottom club and their adjusted total.  A kind of handicap.

I think this addresses the concern that wiping out the current seasons’ performance would be unfair, while avoiding a scenario where clubs are promoted or relegated on a statistical basis.
Posted by: Ipswin, June 2, 2020, 11:52am; Reply: 26

2 - we need to assess our currant squad so we can decide who will be retained for next season.

Thats a very good raisin
Posted by: Abdul19, June 2, 2020, 12:48pm; Reply: 27
Something about a takeover by the Sultana of Brunei.
Posted by: psgmariner, June 2, 2020, 1:41pm; Reply: 28
Something else about sour grapes.
Posted by: Gaffer58, June 2, 2020, 2:14pm; Reply: 29
Not someone else having a wine!
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, June 2, 2020, 9:33pm; Reply: 30
I think that the Sultana of Brunei is raisin the bar for our expectations.
Print page generated: April 20, 2024, 2:13am