Print Topic - Archive

Grismby Town Forum - The Fishy GTFC  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: grimsby pete, April 2, 2020, 12:22pm
What game have you attended over the years that stands out as the best you have seen Town play and left you leaving the ground thinking " that was bloody good so proud to be a mariner "

I have seen many like that but the one that stands out to me was the Man City game when we beat a good City team  4-1 in front of a big crowd when we were in the now championship.

Plenty to choose from home or away,

What's yours ?
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, April 2, 2020, 1:12pm; Reply: 1
Cor blimey Pete! Too many to think of.

The first half of the 4-0 win against Sheff United was sublime. The cup games against Everton home and away in different seasons for different reasons. The 7-1 against Scunthorpe was great. My pick though Pete goes right back to 1959-60 against Southampton who were already champions of Div 3 when we played them and had some good players including Brian Clifton and Terry Paine. Our forward line was Scott, Cullen Rafferty, Hunt and Fell and they were all brilliant that night. We won 3-2, Alan Barnett saved a penalty and it could have been 5-2 or more.
Posted by: cmackenzie4, April 2, 2020, 1:20pm; Reply: 2
There’s been a lot of great performances Pete, that game against Fulham (at home) 1998 semi final was a cracker but the most recent one for me is when we beat Forest Green in the playoff final at Wembley
Posted by: supertown, April 2, 2020, 1:30pm; Reply: 3
Everton 1979
Posted by: thefish, April 2, 2020, 2:06pm; Reply: 4
Spurs at home- the performance of the back 4 was immense!
Posted by: Les Brechin, April 2, 2020, 2:06pm; Reply: 5
One of the best home performances I remember was stuffing top flight West Ham 3-0 in an FA Cup Replay, the same night that Ivano Bonetti and Brian Laws "made up" on the pitch before kick-off.
Posted by: cannylad68, April 2, 2020, 4:08pm; Reply: 6
Pete,
I believe the season before Man City had just been relegated to the Championship as it is now.
Paul Power, Man City captain, on being interviewed,was very disrespectful, commenting about having to travel to the likes of Grimsby.
It was sweet music when we beat them 4-1 at home. I think the match was on TV that night.
Posted by: chrissy, April 2, 2020, 4:16pm; Reply: 7
When we beat Chelsea at home 2-0 with Wymark scoring his first Town goal was good.
However I will have to say the 4-0 drubbing of Sheff Utd was the best just beating the 3-1 defeat of Sheff Wed earlier in the same season.
Posted by: Heisenberg, April 2, 2020, 4:26pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from cannylad68
Pete,
I believe the season before Man City had just been relegated to the Championship as it is now.
Paul Power, Man City captain, on being interviewed,was very disrespectful, commenting about having to travel to the likes of Grimsby.
It was sweet music when we beat them 4-1 at home. I think the match was on TV that night.

I must admit I do not remember this game at all! Just the 1-1 when we scored early, possibly pouton.
Posted by: promotion plaice, April 2, 2020, 4:35pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from supertown
Everton 1979
Best atmosphere I have ever experienced in BP, closely followed by the 4-0 drubbing of Sheff Utd to win the title

Posted by: tanga_the_indestructible, April 2, 2020, 4:40pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from Heisenberg

I must admit I do not remember this game at all! Just the 1-1 when we scored early, possibly pouton.

I remember it well. It was towards the end of the season and they were trying to keep up with the promotion pack and we royally buggered up their chances.

Posted by: promotion plaice, April 2, 2020, 4:42pm; Reply: 11

16 Jan 1979.....Town v Darlington.....first half.

6-0 up at half-time.
Posted by: Mayaman, April 2, 2020, 5:27pm; Reply: 12
Everton 1979 must have been the best match I've been to.  I didn't see much as I was in the Pontoon stand on a milk crate.  I remember a game at Charlton and it was only  a fiver to get in.  There was no where to buy tickets so the train was free.  Cheap night out to see us beat 'em 3-0 Livvo with a slow motion overhead kick.

One game though was against Brentford and I ended up in their end.  We won 3-1 and  we tore them apart. Tony Rees was showboating .  The Brentford fans were singing our praises and they clapped us off the pitch.
Posted by: Les Brechin, April 2, 2020, 6:43pm; Reply: 13
That Man City 4-1 game was when Kev Drinkell scored his 100th goal for Town and he showed off a t-shirt to that effect he had on when he scored.
Posted by: lee65, April 2, 2020, 7:06pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from chrissy
When we beat Chelsea at home 2-0 with Wymark scoring his first Town goal was good.
However I will have to say the 4-0 drubbing of Sheff Utd was the best just beating the 3-1 defeat of Sheff Wed earlier in the same season.

Loved that game v Chelsea, Trevor Whymark sheer class  :)
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, April 2, 2020, 7:09pm; Reply: 15
There’s the obvious like Newcastle away 1-0 but then there’s games like Norwich away mid nineties ...1-1 Terry Cooke which was all about collective effort and Andy Todd battering Ewan Roberts .
Posted by: Yossarian, April 2, 2020, 9:24pm; Reply: 16
Its the random games that stick in the memory sometimes.

There was the great game where we mullered Huddersfield 4-0 at home with those two great Cockerill goals.  Town were on fire.

Weirdly I remember a 2-0 away win away at t'Barnsley in 1993 - just a really solid, complete domination of Barnsley  and a really professional win.  Nothing flashy - just passed them off the pitch and scored good goals and never looked in trouble.
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, April 2, 2020, 9:33pm; Reply: 17
Agree with the 2 Everton games, Sheffield Utd at home magical as were the two Exeter matches in promotion seasons. I would add Coventry and Liverpool (FA Cup games) to the mix just for the sight of so many thousands of town fans at each game. Also the Norwich league cup game from October 71 and my first time standing, well leaning in the Pontoon, in a crowd of 22000 plus at BP, incredible atmosphere.

As a youngster I recall one of the final home games in the 71/72 season when we trailed Peterborough 2-0 at half time and won 3-2, which was no more than we expected 😄😄.

Finally that Notts County game for the wonderful feeling when that Matt header hit the net following the depression of a few minutes earlier when County equalised.
Posted by: A.l.f., April 3, 2020, 8:03am; Reply: 18
Easy one for me - the 4-0 victory over Sheff Utd.  The most one sided match i can remember and how it wasn't about 12-0, i'll never know.
Beating Man City 4-1 was also a fantastic performance and in recent times feel good factor wise - Braintree away when we secured a final appearance before going back up to the league.  The fans and players came together as one and none of us wanted to go home.
Posted by: GollyGTFC, April 3, 2020, 8:31am; Reply: 19
Monday 31st August 1998. Grimsby Town 5-1 West Bromwich Albion.

Fantastic first half performance against a team who were top of the division at the start of the game saw us 4-0 up at the break. Second half was what you would now call "game management".

We were so good RIchard Sneekes even got a standing ovation for his consolation goal.
Posted by: horsforthmariner, April 3, 2020, 11:13am; Reply: 20
I remember we absolutely battered Norwich 3-0 in an FA Cup game in the 90s at home when they were a division higher than us  - I remember thinking we were brilliant that day
Posted by: norfuk mariner, April 3, 2020, 11:45am; Reply: 21
3rd Jan 1998. Live in Norwich and we were all due to travel to GY to watch. House caught fire and I spent day in hospital. Thankfully all safe
Posted by: HertsGTFC, April 3, 2020, 1:00pm; Reply: 22
Town 4 - Sheff Utd 0
Posted by: gtfc82, April 3, 2020, 1:34pm; Reply: 23
Town 5-1 West Brom. Buckley up against West Brom, Groves looking for revenge. 4-0 up after a first half demolishing, including Groves smashing a penalty into a roof of the net!! Brilliant atmosphere, brilliant game!!
Posted by: barralad, April 3, 2020, 2:04pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from gtfc82
Town 5-1 West Brom. Buckley up against West Brom, Groves looking for revenge. 4-0 up after a first half demolishing, including Groves smashing a penalty into a roof of the net!! Brilliant atmosphere, brilliant game!!

What made that game even better was the fact that I'm pretty sure those were our first goals of the league season. The game before I'd been at The Manor Ground Oxford (for a 0-0 draw) and the Town fans were singing "Let's pretend we've scored a goal".
Posted by: barralad, April 3, 2020, 2:12pm; Reply: 25
I took the initial post to mean the actual performance. There are loads of contenders.
One of my favourite performances was in the mid-90's v Middlesbrough. Their manager  (Bryan Robson) had been going on all week about the Borough needing to prove their promotion credentials by dealing with "the likes" of Town.
Come the day Town went for the jugular 2 up in the first 15 minutes or so and then a masterful defensive performancentre to close the game out at 2-1.
Posted by: Abdul19, April 3, 2020, 2:20pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from barralad

What made that game even better was the fact that I'm pretty sure those were our first goals of the league season. The game before I'd been at The Manor Ground Oxford (for a 0-0 draw) and the Town fans were singing "Let's pretend we've scored a goal".

First in open play (we'd scored 1 pen in 6 games!)
Posted by: Abdul19, April 3, 2020, 2:24pm; Reply: 27
The Ipswich game in 2002. Partly because it came out of nowhere. Three days earlier we'd been battered by Reading (that Pouton og) and it was one of only nine wins all season as we came rock bottom. But that night we were superb.
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, April 3, 2020, 6:00pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from barralad
I took the initial post to mean the actual performance. There are loads of contenders.
One of my favourite performances was in the mid-90's v Middlesbrough. Their manager  (Bryan Robson) had been going on all week about the Borough needing to prove their promotion credentials by dealing with "the likes" of Town.
Come the day Town went for the jugular 2 up in the first 15 minutes or so and then a masterful defensive performancentre to close the game out at 2-1.

That was the first game I took my then 8 year old twin daughters to and not sure why but they were given a free Wagon Wheel each on entry so that and the result were two positives for them. But it was the first time I actually “heard” the foul language the majority of us use and on that day Clayton Blackmore was their left back having had some recent allegations of rape made against him a fact that the Upper Findus were not slow in pointing out. Of the twins one will still go if she’s in the area when there is a home match the other is still in counselling 😄😄😄
Posted by: 1098 (Guest), April 3, 2020, 7:39pm; Reply: 29
Most memorable for me coz I was a 10 year old mascot us v Blackburn Jan 12 1985 I'm pretty sure. Was old div 2 they were top we were 7th 1-1 draw they scored first and we equalised through Gary Lund who was just returning from England u21 duty. Nigel batch missed his first game in a gazillion years and Peter grotier was in goal ha. Keith hallet was ref Derek fazackerley was their captain making something like his 1000th appearance pitch was like a beach and kit made by hobbit?
Posted by: Hants.Mariner, April 3, 2020, 7:52pm; Reply: 30
Dave Beasant’s final game away at Brentford. Finished either 3-0 or 3-1 but could have been ten we were so superior. I still think that was the best performance I saw by any football team including all TV games, that season.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, April 3, 2020, 9:16pm; Reply: 31
Quoted from promotion plaice

16 Jan 1979.....Town v Darlington.....first half.

6-0 up at half-time.

Mike Lester missed a penalty too if I remember right and John Stone scored a good goal for Darlington
Posted by: HertsGTFC, April 3, 2020, 9:22pm; Reply: 32
Quoted from supertown
Everton 1979

In the round before if I remember right I think we absolutely battered Notts County 3-1 and played really well too. They where a Division above us at the time too.
Posted by: Les Brechin, April 3, 2020, 9:24pm; Reply: 33
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Mike Lester missed a penalty too if I remember right and John Stone scored a good goal for Darlington

Yeah, we lost the 2nd half 2-1 and we signed John Stone not that long after the game. The Saturday before we'd beaten Bradford 5-1 too.
Posted by: Heisenberg, April 3, 2020, 9:30pm; Reply: 34
Quoted from Les Brechin
That Man City 4-1 game was when Kev Drinkell scored his 100th goal for Town and he showed off a t-shirt to that effect he had on when he scored.

Eh? I thought someone mentioned Man City in the 90’s, and I was certain Drinks only scored 99?
Posted by: HertsGTFC, April 3, 2020, 10:57pm; Reply: 35
Quoted from Les Brechin

Yeah, we lost the 2nd half 2-1 and we signed John Stone not that long after the game. The Saturday before we'd beaten Bradford 5-1 too.

I remember that, thought it was the Tuesday but might be wrong, remember Reaney playing for Bradford and not being able to handle our offensive players like Bobby and Fordy.

In those days night games used to kick off at 7.30 so my dad would take me and he’s be on the bus for a night shift at Dunlop by 10pm, proper Town fan that fella still is.

Happy memories during this madness!
Posted by: Les Brechin, April 4, 2020, 9:17am; Reply: 36
Quoted from Heisenberg

Eh? I thought someone mentioned Man City in the 90’s, and I was certain Drinks only scored 99?

It was 1985 when we beat them 4-1 and I'm sure I can remember Drinks revealing his 100 goals t-shirt, although looking at his wiki page it says he only scored 89 goals for us, which is a bit confusing.

Edit - Just checked my GTFC Complete Record 1878-89 book and it says he scored 102 goals for us, so maybe my mind isn't deceiving me after all, it was 89 LEAGUE goals that he scored.

His final 2 goals were on the last day of the season when we won 2-0 at Palace which I clearly remember being the day of The Bradford Fire.
Posted by: ginnywings, April 4, 2020, 9:19am; Reply: 37
A game that always sticks in my memory is Sept 1989 at home to Coventry in the League Cup. We won 3-1 and played them off the pitch. They had won the F.A cup 2 years previous and still had a very decent side. Buckley ball was in fine fettle that night.

Think they had Livvo there at that time.

Of course we lost the second leg 3-0, and a certain Kevin Drinkell scored the first goal for them.
Posted by: Madeleymariner, April 4, 2020, 9:51am; Reply: 38
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Thats the game for me.
Posted by: Posh Harry, April 4, 2020, 9:57am; Reply: 39
Quoted from ginnywings
A game that always sticks in my memory is Sept 1989 at home to Coventry in the League Cup. We won 3-1 and played them off the pitch. They had won the F.A cup 2 years previous and still had a very decent side. Buckley ball was in fine fettle that night.

Think they had Livvo there at that time.

Of course we lost the second leg 3-0, and a certain Kevin Drinkell scored the first goal for them.

I was at both games Ginny and yeah, completely dominated the first game. Didn’t Rees gat sent off after about 4 minutes of the replay and b8ggered us from there??
Posted by: smokey111, April 4, 2020, 10:18am; Reply: 40
Yeah we were down to ten men very early and big Keith had to play up top on his own. I am sure that little s**t David Speedie was involved in the red card. Did Drinkell get all 3????
Posted by: Caveman, April 4, 2020, 10:54am; Reply: 41
Two performances . stand out for me.

We've had some memorable wins over the seventy-five years since
I first watched Town and of many in my mind of those the one at
Newcastle stands out. Not because of THAT last minute goal, but
the fact that not only did we contain them but over ninety minutes
we matched them all over the pitch. Many have forgotten that as
well as that goal we hit the woodwork two or three times

However for me the draw against West Ham in 1965 on a rain
drenched pitch was our classiest performance ever. With 17 year old
Angus Davidson making his debut in midfield for us, against a side
containing Moore, Peters and Hurst we were brilliant.

In the following day's Daily Express the referee was quoted as saying
" I'd have willingly paid to referee that game "
Posted by: smokey111, April 4, 2020, 11:26am; Reply: 42
Quoted from Caveman
Two performances . stand out for me.

We've had some memorable wins over the seventy-five years since
I first watched Town and of many in my mind of those the one at
Newcastle stands out. Not because of THAT last minute goal, but
the fact that not only did we contain them but over ninety minutes
we matched them all over the pitch. Many have forgotten that as
well as that goal we hit the woodwork two or three times

However for me the draw against West Ham in 1965 on a rain
drenched pitch was our classiest performance ever. With 17 year old
Angus Davidson making his debut in midfield for us, against a side
containing Moore, Peters and Hurst we were brilliant.

In the following day's Daily Express the referee was quoted as saying
" I'd have willingly paid to referee that game "

Seventy five years!!!👏👏👏
Posted by: Posh Harry, April 4, 2020, 11:39am; Reply: 43
Quoted from smokey111
Yeah we were down to ten men very early and big Keith had to play up top on his own. I am sure that little s**t David Speedie was involved in the red card. Did Drinkell get all 3????

He got 2. Speedie got the 3rd and your summary of him is spot on.
Posted by: ginnywings, April 4, 2020, 7:08pm; Reply: 44
Quoted from Posh Harry

He got 2. Speedie got the 3rd and your summary of him is spot on.

Drinks got one according to this.

https://www.11v11.com/matches/coventry-city-v-grimsby-town-04-october-1989-32065/
Posted by: Patrick kavanagh, April 4, 2020, 8:53pm; Reply: 45
Probably not the best opposition but a Tuesday night game against Huddersfield in the mid nineties, town won 4-0 and the best football I've ever seen from a town team that night, pure class
Posted by: Posh Harry, April 5, 2020, 12:11am; Reply: 46
Quoted from ginnywings

Wow. I looked at same site this morning and it said drinks got 2. That is bizarre!!
Posted by: promotion plaice, April 5, 2020, 12:36am; Reply: 47

Another random game that sticks in the memory, 13 March 1979

Rochdale 2-5 Town

Came back from 2-0 down

The only game I can remember the fans changing ends at half time
Posted by: Les Brechin, April 5, 2020, 8:14am; Reply: 48
Quoted from promotion plaice

Another random game that sticks in the memory, 13 March 1979

Rochdale 2-5 Town

Came back from 2-0 down

The only game I can remember the fans changing ends at half time

Happened a few times in our non-league days.
Posted by: cannylad68, April 5, 2020, 1:13pm; Reply: 49
The irony of the game against Darlington was that John Stone was training with the Town at that time, whilst a Darlington player.
I believe he and his wife owned the Post Office in Immingham.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, April 7, 2020, 8:00am; Reply: 50
So many to choose from. Away from the big ones or the obvious ones one is pick out is our game against Spurs in 1991. The score line makes it look like Spurs dominated the game, but in fact we more than matched them for most of the game. They just took their chances. Erik Thorsvedt in goal for them was immense. A lot of our football was superlative. 17000 in BP - our second last attendance above 15,000, if I remember correctly, the last being Newcastle the following season.

Another ‘below the radar’ game was Gillingham away in 1990. A master class in Buckleyball with Gilbert and Child’s making full use of the width of the pitch, including pinging balls to each other.

Can’t believe it’s 30 years ago.
Posted by: Boris Johnson, April 8, 2020, 1:41am; Reply: 51
Good thread

2 standouts to me where Cup Games...Middlesborough and the replay win at Reading under Buckley.
Print page generated: March 29, 2024, 12:41pm