Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: promotion plaice, March 24, 2020, 11:51pm

I know it has to be done but jeez it's boring stuck in the house.

I'm at the stage already where I'm thinking of getting the kids Nintendo 64 out from under the stairs, haven't been on it for years or any other game system since.
Mario Kart was my favourite game closely followed by Super Mario.

Posted by: GYinScuntland, March 25, 2020, 1:59am; Reply: 1
Sonic the Hedgehog was state of the art at the time but target practice on next doors cat with my 80's air pistol is more fun.
Posted by: Les Brechin, March 25, 2020, 6:43am; Reply: 2
Still going into work. Shop itself is shut but we're still selling stuff over the phone and online.
Posted by: Ipswin, March 25, 2020, 7:09am; Reply: 3
Finished all the gardening and Mrs Swin is now making noises about decorating, got to avoid it at all costs! Suggestions on a postcard please asap

Incidentally went for a bike ride today at 0615, never seen so much traffic (mind you I'm not normally up at that time these days) Loads going to local Tesco for their daily shelf stripping excursion but also loads of commercial vehicles (not HGVs) vans etc in logos of companies / shops that should be closed
Posted by: Les Brechin, March 25, 2020, 7:13am; Reply: 4
Quoted from Ipswin
Finished all the gardening and Mrs Swin is now making noises about decorating, got to avoid it at all costs! Suggestions on a postcard please asap

Incidentally went for a bike ride today at 0615, never seen so much traffic (mind you I'm not normally up at that time these days) Loads going to local Tesco for their daily shelf stripping excursion but also loads of commercial vehicles (not HGVs) vans etc in logos of companies / shops that should be closed

Our vans are still out and about as we are still allowed to deliver essential goods (ie fridges, freezers, cookers) to customers. Our shop itself is closed but we are still selling goods over the phone and online and our delivery drivers have strict instructions as to how they deliver goods at the minute.
Posted by: Ipswin, March 25, 2020, 7:31am; Reply: 5
Quoted from Les Brechin

Our vans are still out and about as we are still allowed to deliver essential goods (ie fridges, freezers, cookers) to customers. Our shop itself is closed but we are still selling goods over the phone and online and our delivery drivers have strict instructions as to how they deliver goods at the minute.

You are excused Les! My lad works for plumb centre in the showroom. Its closed as is the trade counter but plumbers can order stuff on line or by phone and its left outside for them to pick up. (the price of stolen copper pipes has dropped massively as there's so much about ;D)

Anyway Les shouldn't you be at home devising ridiculous ideas (like everyone else from the FA down to folk on here) on how to finish the season on your competitions?
Posted by: Les Brechin, March 25, 2020, 7:53am; Reply: 6
Quoted from Ipswin

You are excused Les! My lad works for plumb centre in the showroom. Its closed as is the trade counter but plumbers can order stuff on line or by phone and its left outside for them to pick up. (the price of stolen brass pipes has dropped massively as there's so much about ;D)

Anyway Les shouldn't you be at home devising ridiculous ideas (like everyone else from the FA down to folk on here) on how to finish the season on your competitions?

I'll cross that bridge when the season finally restarts and we see how many weeks the fixtures are scheduled for.

Posted by: Madeleymariner, March 25, 2020, 8:16am; Reply: 7

Swin, Going out to buy paint/wallpaper is non essential travel, as for getting it delivered you dont want to put further strain on our already overworked and overstretched delivery drivers :P. Remind her how many people will have already touched what you will be buying. If you already have the stuff in the house just tell her its gone off due to tin not sealed she wont have a clue ;)
Posted by: pizzzza, March 25, 2020, 8:21am; Reply: 8
Still working, albeit at home setup on the dining table. Probably about a day or two away from murdering the kids.
Posted by: Les Brechin, March 25, 2020, 8:25am; Reply: 9
Just got to work this morning to be advised that from tonight we are shutting completely, no phone orders, online orders etc.

Full pay for the first month thankfully, hopefully the restrictions will be relaxed by then.
Posted by: cmackenzie4, March 25, 2020, 8:42am; Reply: 10
I’m still at work, travelling from Louth to Skegness everyday, the trains are running a Sunday service until further notice, the last train is leaving Skegness at 1730 now when it usually leaves at 2102, it means we are getting home earlier, I didn’t see one car on the a16 last night travelling home. Before and after work I’m staying in with the kids and just generally keeping myself busy, I don’t watch tv I’d rather have the music on instead.
Posted by: grimsby pete, March 25, 2020, 8:52am; Reply: 11
Gardening exercising dog in back garden and the normal looking after disabled wife.

I don't watch much live tv either Chris we have Netflix and prime so watch movies plus I record lots of documentaries.
Posted by: ginnywings, March 25, 2020, 9:10am; Reply: 12
My routine hasn't changed much as i work from home anyway and that's only part time. Taking the dog for looooong walks away from the madding crowds. Only difference being that we would sometimes stop somewhere for coffee/lunch, but have to come straight home now and make our own. Mrs G making cakes and bread which is starting to show on my waistline. Garden looking best it's done for a while and i am psyching myself up to have a good old clear out in my workshop. Was about to build a new shed before this kicked off, so if i can source some wood from somewhere, i will start on that.

Worst thing for us is that Mrs G has just stopped work for the first time in her life and we were intending to go travelling for most of the spring/summer in our shiny new campervan, which is now stranded on the front drive. We naturally isolate from the crowds anyway and head for the wilds of Yorkshire, Cumbria, Northumberland and especially the remote parts of Scotland. Have lot's of places we want to visit but that will have to wait for now.
Posted by: psgmariner, March 25, 2020, 9:34am; Reply: 13
The Diego Maradona documentary is worth your time. Available on More4.
Posted by: golfer, March 25, 2020, 9:36am; Reply: 14
Am looking for earache pills after listening to Piers Morgan - twatt
Posted by: mariner91, March 25, 2020, 9:42am; Reply: 15
Quoted from Ipswin

I live in London Bridge and honestly you wouldn't notice anything different with the amount of people and traffic. The only indicator something is up is the store shelves are still bare.
Posted by: Grantham_Mariner, March 25, 2020, 10:24am; Reply: 16
One jigsaw done, only 11 left to do, starting to panic.
Posted by: grimsby pete, March 25, 2020, 10:31am; Reply: 17
Had our 1st game of backgammon yesterday,

We only used to play it on holidays.
Posted by: Manchester Mariner, March 25, 2020, 11:46am; Reply: 18
Been working from home for the last few weeks, me at one end of the kitchen table, the wife at the other and the cat underneath. Just have BBC 6 music on the radio all day and we are having our lunch in the garden in coats and hats just to spice things up. I'm struggling to stave off the pull of Football Manager, I've been clean of that addiction for a number of years but it's been on my mind of late.
Posted by: grimsby pete, March 25, 2020, 12:57pm; Reply: 19
Just got my peddle machine out the shed and being riding it without going out the garden. ;)
Posted by: Gaffer58, March 25, 2020, 2:35pm; Reply: 20
Re-coated both garden sheds, now to start on the fence, it’s a bloody boring job but needs doing. The current Mrs Gaffer only comes out occasionally to bother me so I don’t have to hear all about some virus everybody seems to be talking about.

Posted by: supertown, March 25, 2020, 2:38pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from Les Brechin
Just got to work this morning to be advised that from tonight we are shutting completely, no phone orders, online orders etc.

Full pay for the first month thankfully, hopefully the restrictions will be relaxed by then.

Who do you work for Les
Posted by: supertown, March 25, 2020, 2:39pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from Gaffer58
Re-coated both garden sheds, now to start on the fence, it’s a bloody boring job but needs doing. The current Mrs Gaffer only comes out occasionally to bother me so I don’t have to hear all about some virus everybody seems to be talking about.

Done the same , and jet washed everywhere
Posted by: Squinter, March 25, 2020, 4:31pm; Reply: 23
My daughter suggested a game of monopoly, so I went out for my alloted one walk per day, nobody has told me yet that 8 hour walks arn't allowed
Posted by: moosey_club, March 25, 2020, 5:32pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from Squinter
My daughter suggested a game of monopoly, so I went out for my alloted one walk per day, nobody has told me yet that 8 hour walks arn't allowed

Just change a few things on the monopoly board to make the game more current,  change Park Lane and Mayfair to Toilet Roll and Hand Sanitiser ......change Go To Jail cards to Go to Corona Virus Self Isolation.

Posted by: Squinter, March 25, 2020, 5:59pm; Reply: 25
Ha ha Moosey, great idea, 'Free Parking for NHS staff at hospital' would be good too.
Posted by: Les Brechin, March 25, 2020, 6:36pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from supertown

Who do you work for Les

David Bury electrical retailer on Pasture Street.
Posted by: Mariner Timsky, March 27, 2020, 11:27pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from Manchester Mariner
Been working from home for the last few weeks, me at one end of the kitchen table, the wife at the other and the cat underneath. Just have BBC 6 music on the radio all day and we are having our lunch in the garden in coats and hats just to spice things up. I'm struggling to stave off the pull of Football Manager, I've been clean of that addiction for a number of years but it's been on my mind of late.

6Music on all day - nuff said 👌🏼

Posted by: forza ivano, March 27, 2020, 11:39pm; Reply: 28
For 14-16 hours of brilliant unknown t.v  try Hidden on bbc iplayer. N.walian/english scandi noir murder investigation. Brilliant plot/characters/locations and a superb line in truly evil character s
Posted by: aldi_01, March 28, 2020, 7:43am; Reply: 29
Aside from working from home...when I can bottom myself I’ve been drinking and cooking.

Got the smoker out for today, asking a couple of briskets on and that’ll last a while and feed us this weekend.

Spent a lot of time listening to music, rediscovering stuff and finding new (old) stuff. Playing the guitar and generally ignoring the TV, especially the news.

I am 4 episodes in to the Tiger King though...the most bonkers thing I’ve ever watched...
Posted by: supertown, March 28, 2020, 7:49am; Reply: 30
Quoted from aldi_01
Aside from working from home...when I can bottom myself I’ve been drinking and cooking.

Got the smoker out for today, asking a couple of briskets on and that’ll last a while and feed us this weekend.

Spent a lot of time listening to music, rediscovering stuff and finding new (old) stuff. Playing the guitar and generally ignoring the TV, especially the news.

I am 4 episodes in to the Tiger King though...the most bonkers thing I’ve ever watched...

I bought a smoker last year but not used it yet , any tips
Posted by: ginnywings, March 28, 2020, 8:13am; Reply: 31
Today, i'll be mostly making some portable picket fencing.

Rock and roll.
Posted by: The Yard Dog, March 28, 2020, 10:39am; Reply: 32
Researching the Football trawlers, watching documentaries, checking on my new fishy buddy via Facebook.
Checking on my family and neighbours via telephone, been in self isolation for 2 weeks now.

Did have the exercise bike in the garden earlier in the week, now moved back into the house, fair weather cyclist, to cold today.
Posted by: promotion plaice, March 28, 2020, 10:49am; Reply: 33

Looked out of the front window into the street this morning and a car has had it's window smashed.

Looks like some b@stard has taken advantage of it being quiet and seen easy pickings.

Rang it in to Humberside police.
Posted by: Ipswin, March 28, 2020, 11:11am; Reply: 34
Can someone please tell Mrs Swin that when Boris said it was OK to go for a bike ride he didn't mean it was compulsory.

The virus is nowt compared to risking my life in the ridiculous traffic all hurtling to Tesco at 0700 this morning
Posted by: arryarryarry, March 28, 2020, 11:32am; Reply: 35
Apparently a game to watch this afternoon. :)

https://twitter.com/officialgtfc/status/1243836354452127744
Posted by: Civvy at last, March 28, 2020, 2:52pm; Reply: 36
My lad (RAF) came home on a weeks leave  ( apart from weekends his  first leave since Christmas).
We ended up playing cards and just chatting. I had a few beers. He had soft drinks as he was on 12 hours notice for recall.  He went to his bedroom and dug out the board games we played when he was a kid.  Sorry, frustration, ludo, yhatzi and a few others. All planned in for this week.
He got one night at home then recalled.  We were both gutted.
But our Fathers (for us old farts) Grandfathers and Co had it far far worse. And not for months but for years.  

My lad knew he would leather me on  Xbox or electronic games so he gave me a fighting chance.

Soft girl private got hammered 😄.

Stay safe. UTM
Posted by: BobbyCummingsTackle, March 28, 2020, 3:30pm; Reply: 37
Quoted from aldi_01
Aside from working from home...when I can bottom myself ..

Is this some sort of kink thing? I'm very broad minded but I've never heard of it!

Posted by: denni266, March 28, 2020, 9:22pm; Reply: 38
Cant do a thing but watch the grand kids run around the house. recovering from having kidney and bladder stones removed . no sport to watch so feet up for a while
Posted by: barralad, March 29, 2020, 9:07am; Reply: 39
Quoted from denni266
Cant do a thing but watch the grand kids run around the house. recovering from having kidney and bladder stones removed . no sport to watch so feet up for a while

Get well soon fella. Stones are a barsteward.
Posted by: Gaffer58, March 29, 2020, 10:40am; Reply: 40
Quoted from barralad

Posted by: Gaffer58, March 29, 2020, 10:42am; Reply: 41
Quoted from barralad

Ronnie Wood wasn’t too bad but Mick Jagger is completely.
Posted by: denni266, March 29, 2020, 10:48am; Reply: 42
Thanks fellow fishes. hope you are all well
Posted by: Rob_in_Grimsby, March 29, 2020, 11:21am; Reply: 43
Im still working from the office as normal except all the other staff are working from home so its like self isolating without the noise of kids :),Unfortunately when users cant work from home they expect us IT workers to come out and sort.
Posted by: promotion plaice, March 29, 2020, 11:34am; Reply: 44

I'm thinking of venturing out today to do some much needed shopping at Tesco, bit apprehensive though as I heard they were queuing at Morrisons for as long as an hour and a half the other day to get in.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, March 29, 2020, 11:45am; Reply: 45
Been working at home for three weeks. Not much change to my routine in reality due to nature of my work apart from no commute. Not done much with the extra time*. I can be a lazy twit. Change of exercise regime because the pool is shut. Was going to get my bike out but Richmond Park now closed to cyclists there were that many of them.

Kids doing school work on line. Nice to spend time over midday meal with them.

* Read good book on the English Civil War, now one on the Seven Years War in western Germany I got cheap.
Posted by: kamakazebear, March 29, 2020, 12:01pm; Reply: 46
Quoted from promotion plaice

I'm thinking of venturing out today to do some much needed shopping at Tesco, bit apprehensive though as I heard they were queuing at Morrisons for as long as an hour and a half the other day to get in.

The queue at ASDA looked massive when I went but I joined it anyway (what else is there to do?) and it went down quite quick and I was in within 10 minutes. Nice and calm inside, couple of people coming a bit too close but shelves were stocked and there was no queues at the checkouts. Feel like they should bring these measures in normally when this is all over!
Posted by: supertown, March 29, 2020, 12:06pm; Reply: 47

Same at Tesco, queue looks huge due to the spacing but it’s only 20 mins to get in and when in its great, only about 100 in at any time . Shelves were well stacked when I went on Wednesday
Posted by: AussieMariner, March 29, 2020, 12:30pm; Reply: 48
Quoted from forza ivano
For 14-16 hours of brilliant unknown t.v  try Hidden on bbc iplayer. N.walian/english scandi noir murder investigation. Brilliant plot/characters/locations and a superb line in truly evil character s

Thanks for the recommendation. Watched first 3 episodes last night, looking forward to the rest.

Got any more?
Posted by: promotion plaice, March 29, 2020, 1:27pm; Reply: 49
Quoted from supertown

Same at Tesco, queue looks huge due to the spacing but it’s only 20 mins to get in and when in its great, only about 100 in at any time . Shelves were well stacked when I went on Wednesday

Yeah...just got back (Tesco) and pleasantly surprised.
Only took about 10 mins to get in and they even had paracetamol and toilet roll on the shelves.

Posted by: Mayaman, March 29, 2020, 3:26pm; Reply: 50
Quoted from Ipswin

A study by Sven Svenson from the Karolinksa Institute, Stockholm, Sweden has discovered that Covid-19 airborne particles are attracted to paint and wallpaper paste and they can live on them for months probably.
Posted by: The Yard Dog, March 29, 2020, 3:48pm; Reply: 51
Quoted from barralad

Are you on the mend now Ian?
Posted by: barralad, March 29, 2020, 4:01pm; Reply: 52
Quoted from The Yard Dog

Are you on the mend now Ian?

Yes thanks mate.  Virtually fully recovered physically. Just some shoulder pain...very lucky really..
Posted by: forza ivano, March 29, 2020, 4:42pm; Reply: 53
Quoted from AussieMariner

Thanks for the recommendation. Watched first 3 episodes last night, looking forward to the rest.

Got any more?

I don't know where you'd find it, but I found a lot of similiarities, in terms of mood, lack of brightness and locations with Les Revenants which was a really creepy French series about children apparently returning from the dead to their parents and village. also known as  The Returned , has great sound track from Mowgli
Other really good French detective series was Spiral
NB you will notice that the wife and I are untroubled by subtitles, which puts many people off!
Posted by: Grantham_Mariner, March 29, 2020, 5:10pm; Reply: 54
Quoted from Mayaman

A study by Sven Svenson from the Karolinksa Institute, Stockholm, Sweden has discovered that Covid-19 airborne particles are attracted to paint and wallpaper paste and they can live on them for months probably.

I will let Mrs Grantham Mariner know  ;D ;D ;D

Posted by: gaz57, March 29, 2020, 5:38pm; Reply: 55
Quoted from forza ivano

I don't know where you'd find it, but I found a lot of similiarities, in terms of mood, lack of brightness and locations with Les Revenants which was a really creepy French series about children apparently returning from the dead to their parents and village. also known as  The Returned , has great sound track from Mowgli
Other really good French detective series was Spiral
NB you will notice that the wife and I are untroubled by subtitles, which puts many people off!

I haven't watched it myself but the wife says a Russian series called Silver spoon is really good on Netflix.
Posted by: grimsby pete, March 29, 2020, 6:07pm; Reply: 56
Quoted from gaz57

I haven't watched it myself but the wife says a Russian series called Silver spoon is really good on Netflix.

Sweet
Posted by: smokey111, March 29, 2020, 7:16pm; Reply: 57
Simple, but effective Pete. Made me chuckle.😊
Posted by: ginnywings, March 29, 2020, 11:02pm; Reply: 58
Quoted from denni266

Spent a week in hospital last year with pancreatitis, brought on by a gallstone trapped in my bile duct. The pain was incredible and if your stones brought the same level of discomfort, then i feel your pain. At least you have been sorted.

I am waiting for gall bladder removal surgery, had the pre op and was due to see the consultant last Monday. Of course, that was all cancelled and i am now dreading having another gallstone work it's way loose. I have lots of little ones apparently and it could happen any time. Would hate to have to go back in hospital at this alarming time.
Posted by: grimsby pete, March 30, 2020, 3:11pm; Reply: 59
Quoted from ginnywings

Spent a week in hospital last year with pancreatitis, brought on by a gallstone trapped in my bile duct. The pain was incredible and if your stones brought the same level of discomfort, then i feel your pain. At least you have been sorted.

I am waiting for gall bladder removal surgery, had the pre op and was due to see the consultant last Monday. Of course, that was all cancelled and i am now dreading having another gallstone work it's way loose. I have lots of little ones apparently and it could happen any time. Would hate to have to go back in hospital at this alarming time.

About 20 years ago I had about 40 small stones in my gallbladder.

I had to wait a year for the operation while waiting I passed most of them on a near weekly basis it's was agony.  When I had the keyhole surgery to remove my gallbladder there were only 4 small stones left.

I was ok for a few years then started getting acid reflux which is common if you have the gallbladder removed so I have to take a tablet twice a day to overcome the acid.

I don't think they remove the gallbladder now just cut it take the stones out and stitch you up so it is better as long as you don't make more stones.
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, March 30, 2020, 9:04pm; Reply: 60
Had kidney stones whilst on holiday & spent 5 days in Portuguese hospital but they lasered them away and treatment was first class but the stones were bleeding agony (male equivalent of childbirth they say).

No trouble for ten years then last year I had a bad kidney infection which was not as bad as the stones but was painful enough. Ever since I have suffered with enlarged prostrate and the feeling I will wet myself at any given minute. Supposed to see the Consultant in two weeks time but doubt it will go ahead so might need to raid the grandsons nappy supply although it’s embarrassing not funny.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, March 30, 2020, 9:33pm; Reply: 61
Our autistic son has a small market garden and we are really thankful to be able to work outside and in isolation at the same time. Local farmer power harrowed for us today and we’ve got enough seed to get in to last a good few weeks work. Just need some warmer weather now!
Posted by: Abdul19, March 30, 2020, 10:24pm; Reply: 62
https://twitter.com/billyclarke7/status/1244374260782632962?s=19
Posted by: jock dock tower, March 31, 2020, 4:22pm; Reply: 63
For folk wanting something to watch, try Mind Hunter on NETFLIX. It's about the start of profiling in the FBI and it's mid 1970s stuff. Loads of serial killers involved, but there's none of the gory stuff to watch, just a timeline on how profiling was used, by visiting all the serial killers to get info from them to help build up their expertise.

Excellent viewing, and it explains how techniques now that are commonplace now, evolved amid great doubt back in the day. "Shoot first, ask questions later" was the go to method back then.
Posted by: Yossarian, March 31, 2020, 8:20pm; Reply: 64
Well good luck out there everyone!!  Its been pretty weird - My part of London is like a ghost town.

Taking time to make sure we watch a good film with the 3 kids each evening.....  been enjoying introducing to some great stuff from when I was a kid.  Just polished off the Back to the Future trillogy.  Such great films.

I've also been doing some serious Youtube collections of old World Cups (Spain 1982 was aweome -- some great games!!) and other football matches.

We've stuck to a "no booze" rule Monday-Friday because I think I'd be a raging alcoholic by the time we get out of this thing.

I also have French exams coming up in the future for my French nationality exam so I've been hammering my plus-que-parfaiit, passé-simple and the subjonctif imparfait!!  I scared the crap out of myself by looking at the level I need to get to.  Wish I'd paid more attention in school now!

Posted by: codcheeky, March 31, 2020, 8:43pm; Reply: 65
Quoted from Yossarian
Well good luck out there everyone!!  Its been pretty weird - My part of London is like a ghost town.

Taking time to make sure we watch a good film with the 3 kids each evening.....  been enjoying introducing to some great stuff from when I was a kid.  Just polished off the Back to the Future trillogy.  Such great films.

I've also been doing some serious Youtube collections of old World Cups (Spain 1982 was aweome -- some great games!!) and other football matches.

We've stuck to a "no booze" rule Monday-Friday because I think I'd be a raging alcoholic by the time we get out of this thing.

I also have French exams coming up in the future for my French nationality exam so I've been hammering my plus-que-parfaiit, passé-simple and the subjonctif imparfait!!  I scared the crap out of myself by looking at the level I need to get to.  Wish I'd paid more attention in school now!

Good luck with the french
At least the letters look the same, I am learning Greek they have some similar letters with completely different sounds, bought a place there near the Aegean, done it up and waiting to enjoy it, looks like it will be a while yet
I remember learning games off my dad, darts and dominoes, chess and draughts, lots of card games, cribbage and solo, whist and rummy.
Went for a walk to pick a prescription for the mrs here in Notth London and was surprised how busy it was
It’s a stressful time but keep safe and make the most of it and enjoy the time with the kids
Posted by: Civvy at last, March 31, 2020, 9:05pm; Reply: 66
Quoted from Yossarian

Behave yourself. French is a piece of  p1ss. Just ask Del Boy 😉
Posted by: JonnyK, March 31, 2020, 9:17pm; Reply: 67
Learning a new (old) language also on my agenda.  Never studied it before but learnt some basic Spanish whilst living in the Caribbean (DR) - might need to get my kid involved too though because days so far have consisted of 9 days of trying to keep him entertained during the day and nights of trying not to fall asleep before he does.  I have never before had such appreciation of the phrase 'I don't know where they get their energy!  That said, we've just moved back to the area from London so getting on top of the gardening has been an enjoyable, albeit slow, process.

Really appreciate the TV suggestions.  I don't know how well known it is but following the foreign theme, I really enjoyed Dark (German, dubbed) which I think has a 3rd season due this year.  

Trying desperately not to succumb to Football Manager.  Although if someone could point me in the direction of an 01/02 or 97/98 emulator I'd both love you and hate you at the same time.
Posted by: tanga_the_indestructible, March 31, 2020, 9:28pm; Reply: 68
Quoted from Yossarian

Always found the passé simple a bloody nightmare, personally. Good luck with that :)
Posted by: Ipswin, March 31, 2020, 9:48pm; Reply: 69
Struggling with Dutch here but then I've been struggling with it for 40 years!
Posted by: Abdul19, March 31, 2020, 10:10pm; Reply: 70
Quoted from JonnyK

Trying desperately not to succumb to Football Manager.  Although if someone could point me in the direction of an 01/02 or 97/98 emulator I'd both love you and hate you at the same time.

https://champman0102.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3863 ;) (I think that's the instructions for an updated database but obviously the original works too)

The 2020 incarnation was far too complicated for me so I've started this today. The season got off to a poor start, but I'm up to 4th now after 7 wins on the bounce - Kim Kallstrom playing behind To Madeira and Michael Boulding proving unstoppable!
Posted by: aldi_01, April 1, 2020, 7:15am; Reply: 71
Tiger King...watch it. The most flipping bonkers thing I’ve ever watched...
Posted by: Manchester Mariner, April 1, 2020, 9:44am; Reply: 72
New series of Sunderland til I die on Netflix today. Should be good as with failing to get promoted and losing in a Wembley final it follows the 'hapless big club' storyline of the first series.
Posted by: aldi_01, April 1, 2020, 10:02am; Reply: 73
Quoted from Manchester Mariner
New series of Sunderland til I die on Netflix today. Should be good as with failing to get promoted and losing in a Wembley final it follows the 'hapless big club' storyline of the first series.

The best thing about it all was the sheer arrogance and unfathamable belief that they’d go straight back...the beta thing for the viewer is by episode 3 we know it’s gonna start going to excrement. Brilliant. I imagine the American market have zero idea of what is happening when some fat mackhem runs the full length of the stand to shout abuse/spit at his own players...

Don’t get me wrong, we all know how it feels but for once, when it’s not your team it’s flipping hilarious and as I say, the arrogance from the club and then falling apart like that is comedy gold...
Posted by: ginnywings, April 1, 2020, 10:04am; Reply: 74
Can recommend a series on Amazon Prime called Patriot, about a USA intelligence officer. It's dark and quirky and there are 2 series to go at.

Another to watch on Prime is Sneaky Pete, about a conman who is released from prison and infiltrates the family of his cell mate. 3 series to go at there.
Posted by: Grantham_Mariner, April 1, 2020, 11:10am; Reply: 75
WASGIJ anyone?

Keeping me occupied.
Posted by: Yossarian, April 1, 2020, 11:35am; Reply: 76
Quoted from aldi_01
Tiger King...watch it. The most flipping bonkers thing I’ve ever watched...

I couldn't take my eyes off of it - watched the whole thing in one day.  My wife asked for a summary - when I started to explain she just said "stop, its doing me head in already"

Posted by: grimsby pete, April 1, 2020, 12:09pm; Reply: 77
Quoted from ginnywings

Another to watch on Prime is Sneaky Pete, about a conman who is released from prison and infiltrates the family of his cell mate. 3 series to go at there.

Nothing to do with me  ;)

Posted by: ginnywings, April 1, 2020, 7:36pm; Reply: 78
Quoted from grimsby pete

Nothing to do with me  ;)

Of course not Pete.
Posted by: GollyGTFC, April 2, 2020, 8:33pm; Reply: 79
Watched Sunderland 'til I die season 2. Hilarious.

Jack Ross pleading with the owner (Stewart Donald) not to pay more than £1.25m for Will Grigg as "he's not worth more than that". 24 hours later Donald pays £3m rising to £4m for him. Bonkers. Having said that I can't see any of the add-on clauses having to be paid given how he's done next to nothing up there.
Posted by: forza ivano, April 2, 2020, 8:47pm; Reply: 80
I didn't realise until a couple of weeks ago that YouTube have quite a !library of free films, mainly old black n white stuff, including some Hitchcock stuff and the original Day of the Triffids.
Also has some random newer stuff. watched one of our favourite ever films, an Iranian movie called A Separation. I know it's Iranian and I know it's subtitled but its a superb film, which really shows a completely different side to Iran.if you're feeling daring give it a try, it's really good
Posted by: GollyGTFC, April 3, 2020, 9:07am; Reply: 81
Against my better judgement I downloaded Steam & Football Manager 20 Touch demo. Gave it a try and realised why I'm still playing CM0102.
Posted by: Mayaman, April 3, 2020, 9:11am; Reply: 82
Quoted from forza ivano
I didn't realise until a couple of weeks ago that YouTube have quite a !library of free films, mainly old black n white stuff, including some Hitchcock stuff and the original Day of the Triffids.
Also has some random newer stuff. watched one of our favourite ever films, an Iranian movie called A Separation. I know it's Iranian and I know it's subtitled but its a superb film, which really shows a completely different side to Iran.if you're feeling daring give it a try, it's really good

A different side of Iran to how the Western media portrays it.  Sure, it's got problems but people I know who have travelled there say it's pretty awesome.   My aunt married one and lived there but left when Khomeni got in.  Iranian food really kicks behind.
Posted by: Mayaman, April 3, 2020, 9:12am; Reply: 83
Quoted from forza ivano

DId you watch Marvelous?  That's on there.
Posted by: forza ivano, April 3, 2020, 8:37pm; Reply: 84
Quoted from Mayaman

A different side of Iran to how the Western media portrays it.  Sure, it's got problems but people I know who have travelled there say it's pretty awesome.   My aunt married one and lived there but left when Khomeni got in.  Iranian food really kicks behind.

There's a brill Iranian restaurant underneath the railway at Huddersfield.
I used to deal with the Iranair flights when I was in Immigration.the women a 're absolutely stunning! It's a country that's definitely on My wish list.
Will check out Marvellous
About Elly is another good Iranian film
Posted by: promotion plaice, April 4, 2020, 12:02am; Reply: 85

Just watched on Netflix , "After Life" ( Ricky Gervais) , very true to life..worth a look.

Six episodes roughly about half an hour long.
Posted by: ginnywings, April 4, 2020, 9:22am; Reply: 86
I'm about to build a new shed.

I can't contain the excitement.
Posted by: Manchester Mariner, April 4, 2020, 9:34am; Reply: 87
All of the official FIFA world cup films are available on Amazon Prime. I had Hero, the 1986 film on VHS when I was a kid so good to watch that again, nifty Michael Caine narration too. Going to work my way through them all over the next week.
Posted by: jaygy, April 4, 2020, 10:00am; Reply: 88
Quoted from GollyGTFC
Watched Sunderland 'til I die season 2. Hilarious.

Jack Ross pleading with the owner (Stewart Donald) not to pay more than £1.25m for Will Grigg as "he's not worth more than that". 24 hours later Donald pays £3m rising to £4m for him. Bonkers. Having said that I can't see any of the add-on clauses having to be paid given how he's done next to nothing up there.

I was gobsmacked at this, I heard him say no more than 1.25M and then the figure of 3M was mentioned and i thought that must have been his wages over a 4 year contract or something but it was the price they paid to Wigan, absolutely crazy money for a good league one/average championship striker. Wigan will have been laughing all the way to the Bank
Posted by: Sigone, April 4, 2020, 12:32pm; Reply: 89
https://www.youtube.com/user/TheDarrenFarleyShow

Some funny clips on here..gtfc should try to get him here to do a stand up evening. (when this all calms down)
Posted by: Croxton, April 4, 2020, 12:57pm; Reply: 90
Does Gordon Wilson do local dialect?

Yorkshire's Ben Taylor sets a high standard.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-england-52160781
Posted by: Croxton, April 4, 2020, 1:08pm; Reply: 91
Quoted from forza ivano

I used to deal with the Iranair flights when I was in Immigration.the women a 're absolutely stunning! It's a country that's definitely on My wish list.

I have two grandkids who are half Iranian and one is called Ellie!  My other son married a half Iranian girl. Their children are a quarter Iranian. They, and both mums are beautiful. Having said that, I'm relieved that one family cancelled a trip to an Iranian wedding in London three weeks ago.
Posted by: thornemariner, April 4, 2020, 1:28pm; Reply: 92
Quoted from forza ivano

I would live to visit Iran especially the NW part where the scenery is stunningß. I met some wonderful Persian people as a student nearly forty years ago and have met many more through my job too. They really are lovely,welcoming people and Persian food is marvellous. I went out for a meal with a colleague in South Croydon to celebrate Newroz some years ago and finished what I couldn't eat at a Doncaster match that evening on the way home! They have a really rich culture and are well educated too. I hope they don't suffer much more under a repressive government that does not represent the open and hospitable people that they are.
Posted by: Les Brechin, April 4, 2020, 2:43pm; Reply: 93
I've got a 21 disc Best Of Laurel & Hardy DVD set.

Onto disc 6 at the minute.
Posted by: promotion plaice, April 4, 2020, 2:49pm; Reply: 94
Quoted from Les Brechin
I've got a 21 disc Best Of Laurel & Hardy DVD set.

Onto disc 6 at the minute.

My father saw Laurel and Hardy close up backstage when they appeared in Hull in the 40's, he was a massive fan.

Posted by: cmackenzie4, April 4, 2020, 2:56pm; Reply: 95

My father saw Laurel and Hardy close up backstage when they appeared in Hull in the 40's, he was a massive fan.

I saw them too when I enrolled In the French foreign legion, we joined up together,  ;D
Posted by: bradzmilne, April 4, 2020, 3:45pm; Reply: 96
Have a watch of “Tiger King” on Netflix if you have some spare time.

Thoroughly incredible that people like that exist in real life  ;D
Posted by: TonySmith, April 4, 2020, 4:21pm; Reply: 97
  Plenty of Laurel and Hardy for free on YouTube too. If you need a laugh ( and who doesn't at the moment ? ) you can't do much better than "The Music Box" or "Towed in a Hole."
Posted by: Ipswin, April 4, 2020, 9:52pm; Reply: 98
Anyone watching the documentary about Real Kashmir in Srinagar managed by an ex Rangers and Leeds United player on Sky 457 (BBC Scotland) at the moment ?

I can't remember his name but he must be a relative of Jolley - I lost count of the 'f' words within the first 2 minutes!

Excellent view of someone trying to make his name as a manager in one of the worlds remotest football places with matches posponed due to the number of people being shot and killed in the political dispute

They haven't lost for a year and he just got them promoted to the top division

Get it on now - it's amazing!
Posted by: Abdul19, April 5, 2020, 12:46am; Reply: 99
David Robertson? There was a piece about him in 442 a while back. I'll find that on iPlayer, cheers!
Posted by: forza ivano, April 5, 2020, 1:12am; Reply: 100
Quoted from Ipswin
Anyone watching the documentary about Real Kashmir in Srinagar managed by an ex Rangers and Leeds United player on Sky 457 (BBC Scotland) at the moment ?

I can't remember his name but he must be a relative of Jolley - I lost count of the 'f' words within the first 2 minutes!

Excellent view of someone trying to make his name as a manager in one of the worlds remotest football places with matches posponed due to the number of people being shot and killed in the political dispute

They haven't lost for a year and he just got them promoted to the top division

Get it on now - it's amazing!

I found that when I was doing some random scrolling through iplayer a few months ago. Was very interesting from all sorts of angles.
Just finished the first 3 episodes of The Border on All4. Part of the excellent Walter Presents series. There's some seriously good viewing there
Posted by: tintowner, April 5, 2020, 7:50am; Reply: 101
Still going to work, not been furloughed.

Currently working on the Keadby 2 power station build (crane operator).

Things are pretty much the same as they were pre lockdown.
Posted by: Ipswin, April 5, 2020, 8:21am; Reply: 102
Quoted from Abdul19
David Robertson? There was a piece about him in 442 a while back. I'll find that on iPlayer, cheers!

That's the fella. Can he swear!

Don't know what the players, Indian, Pakistani and Africans (plus his son) think about it. Its a very interesting programme especially because its such a politically dangerous area

He's got balls that's for sure

Posted by: Marinerz93, April 5, 2020, 7:40pm; Reply: 103
Surely debating stuff on the fishy passes the time  ;D
Posted by: Rick12, April 6, 2020, 8:25am; Reply: 104
Interesting article on Holloway on the BBC football site:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52152640
Posted by: Abdul19, April 6, 2020, 11:59am; Reply: 105
Quoted from Ipswin

That's the fella. Can he swear!

"If you could play like you fucking talk, you'd be some fucking player!" ;D
Posted by: grimsby pete, April 6, 2020, 12:30pm; Reply: 106
When I get a bit bored I read the posts on here from Maringer and M93 it passes an hour or two. ;)
Posted by: KingstonMariner, April 6, 2020, 4:06pm; Reply: 107
Quoted from ginnywings

Man they do cause pain don’t they!? Never felt owt like it before. I had no clue what was happening until I had an ultrasound. I thought it was some sort of blockage of the poo pipes - have a bit of abdominal cancer in the family so naturally I looked on the black side.

Just had the op this morning Ginny (I’m a hypocrite who used his works health insurance to get it done). First off I was told by the consultant in thy be Saturday it was unlikely for months because private hospitals had been requisitioned by the NHS so no elective surgery any where.  Then I got aN email first thing the following Monday offering me a slot for 8 days later (ie for last Tuesday). Then I got a call saying that had now been cancelled due to the mobilisation. And last Thursday it was back on at a different hospital today if I wanted it.

I hope you get the op before the next incident. I was prescribed antibiotics and Tramedol ready for when it happened again when it looked like the op would be months away.

I’m a lucky boy. Only downside is the doc says I am OK to work tomorrow.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, April 6, 2020, 4:15pm; Reply: 108
Quoted from Civvy at last

Behave yourself. French is a piece of  p1ss. Just ask Del Boy 😉

Mange tout Civvy. Mange tout.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, April 6, 2020, 4:22pm; Reply: 109
Quoted from thornemariner

I would live to visit Iran especially the NW part where the scenery is stunningß. I met some wonderful Persian people as a student nearly forty years ago and have met many more through my job too. They really are lovely,welcoming people and Persian food is marvellous. I went out for a meal with a colleague in South Croydon to celebrate Newroz some years ago and finished what I couldn't eat at a Doncaster match that evening on the way home! They have a really rich culture and are well educated too. I hope they don't suffer much more under a repressive government that does not represent the open and hospitable people that they are.

Agree on the food and hospitality thing. My ex has an Iranian friend who got political asylum in the UK with her dad at the time of the revolution (he was as an old school liberal*). Fabulous food. Not surprising given its a very old and rich culture.

They showed us pics of their hometown, Isfahan, which looks stunning.

* I don’t know if you remember but an ex Prime Minister was assassinated in Paris in the 80s while the French security service looked the other way. That was her cousin.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, April 6, 2020, 4:31pm; Reply: 110
Quoted from codcheeky

Good luck with the french
At least the letters look the same, I am learning Greek they have some similar letters with completely different sounds, bought a place there near the Aegean, done it up and waiting to enjoy it, looks like it will be a while yet
I remember learning games off my dad, darts and dominoes, chess and draughts, lots of card games, cribbage and solo, whist and rummy.
Went for a walk to pick a prescription for the mrs here in Notth London and was surprised how busy it was
It’s a stressful time but keep safe and make the most of it and enjoy the time with the kids

Blimey, we should start Language Corner on the other board. I’ve been making an on off attempt at Finnish for the last 17 years. Same letters as us, bar a few with accents, but my god  the grammar is COMPLETELY different. My ambition is to get to the standard of the funny foreigner who works in the ciggie kiosk who the kids ask questions just to hear the silly way he speaks.

“What time is it mister?”
“Today it is elevens o’clock. Buying anything want you to does?’
Posted by: promotion plaice, April 18, 2020, 11:25am; Reply: 111

No surprise the lockdown will continue for at least another 3 weeks then.

Just finished watching "Sunderland Til I Die" on Netflix, really good enjoyed that.

Started watching "Happy Valley" last night, looks promising.

Is it really Saturday....weird.

EDIT

Might give the live darts a try tonight if I can work out how to get it   :)

Print page generated: April 19, 2024, 4:48am