Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Non Football  /  
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, March 20, 2020, 8:21am
Anyone had a holiday cancelled due to Coronavirus yet?

Got one booked for June to Lanzarote, and just want it cancelled and refunded so it's over with.

Just wondered how others have found the process so far?
Posted by: Rick12, March 20, 2020, 1:37pm; Reply: 1
Was meant to fly to Madrid this Monday. Ryanair cancelled the flight yesterday.Long waiting queues.Their online account is down due to people crashing the site trying to get their refund.Likewise been waiting over 4 hours to speak to someone on their webchat.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, March 21, 2020, 10:37pm; Reply: 2
Quoted from Rick12
Was meant to fly to Madrid this Monday. Ryanair cancelled the flight yesterday.Long waiting queues.Their online account is down due to people crashing the site trying to get their refund.Likewise been waiting over 4 hours to speak to someone on their webchat.

Are you eligible for the EU compensation if they cancel or is that just for delayed flights?
Posted by: Rick12, March 22, 2020, 7:34am; Reply: 3
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Are you eligible for the EU compensation if they cancel or is that just for delayed flights?
They've given all customers who have had flights cancelled the option of a full refund .

Posted by: codcheeky, March 22, 2020, 9:41am; Reply: 4
Had a flight to Athens booked for the 25 th this month with BA, flight still going but allowed us to take vouchers for a a flight anytime in the next year instead.
Got a flight to Seattle with Virgin booked for May, cannot see that going ahead and will have to hope for a refund , luckily not booked any accommodation yet so one less thing to sort
Posted by: KingstonMariner, March 22, 2020, 10:01am; Reply: 5
Quoted from Rick12
They've given all customers who have had flights cancelled the option of a full refund .

The compensation is over and above the flight ticket and any costs you incur like extra night’s accommodation, extra meals, taxi. Think it’s €500. Might be worth checking out
Posted by: Ipswin, March 22, 2020, 1:40pm; Reply: 6
I can see many companies especially the airlines offering vouchers instead of cash in order to tide themselves over financially
Posted by: grimsby pete, March 22, 2020, 1:46pm; Reply: 7
The French are threating to close the ports to us if we do not tighten down even more on free movement.  I thought they like free movement  ;D

Seriously  that could mean even less food stuff in our supermarkets,

So I expect Boris to have a full lock down in the next few days.
Posted by: cmackenzie4, March 22, 2020, 3:15pm; Reply: 8
We’ve ruled out a family holiday for 2020, I was looking at booking our holiday next month too, i think this Coronavirus issue will go on longer than first thought.
Posted by: Rick12, March 22, 2020, 3:41pm; Reply: 9

The compensation is over and above the flight ticket and any costs you incur like extra night’s accommodation, extra meals, taxi. Think it’s €500. Might be worth checking out
Thanks for the information.

Posted by: KingstonMariner, March 22, 2020, 6:42pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from Rick12
Thanks for the information.

I may well be wrong. If the flight was cancelled for reasons outside the airline’s control then they don’t have to pay compo.

Good luck with it any way.
Posted by: promotion plaice, March 23, 2020, 11:09pm; Reply: 11

Booked another holiday at Haven Primrose Valley in July not long ago, can't see it happening though.

Posted by: KingstonMariner, March 23, 2020, 11:38pm; Reply: 12
Was hoping to go to Greece in the Summer (nowt booked) but it looks likely I’ll be holidaying in Costa del Jardinero Posterior. I think I’ll start digging a big trench and fill it with water.

Don’t think Paula on the Meteolgico bulletin will be forecasting Scorchio though.

Bona Estente
Posted by: mariner83, March 24, 2020, 7:22am; Reply: 13
Supposed to be going to Greece in May (originally planned around the footy season  ;D :-/ ) just waiting now, was thinking about changing for dates later in the year but not sure if there's any point?
Posted by: 139881 (Guest), March 25, 2020, 11:21am; Reply: 14
Lost my job due to COVID-19. Work in the tourism industry... got sent home from France recently and was Italian-bound from next month to October but that's all up in the air now  :-/
Posted by: grimsby pete, March 25, 2020, 12:46pm; Reply: 15
I bet when this is all over you will have to be quick to book a holiday because it will be like trying to book a grocery delivery at the moment,

Sorry all our slots (  holidays )  are booked up.
Posted by: cmackenzie4, March 25, 2020, 12:51pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from 139881
Lost my job due to COVID-19. Work in the tourism industry... got sent home from France recently and was Italian-bound from next month to October but that's all up in the air now  :-/

Sorry to hear that mate, I hope you get fixed up, I’m sure you will when everything is back to normal.👍
Posted by: Les Brechin, March 26, 2020, 7:13am; Reply: 17
Got a cruise to Spain & Portugal booked leaving 23rd May. I've been in touch with the firm I booked it through and they say that as P&O haven't officially cancelled the cruise yet I cannot get a refund but I can get a 110% Future Cruise Credit if I do cancel.

Also have a weekend trip to a beer festival in Belgium booked in June.
Posted by: 139881 (Guest), March 28, 2020, 5:32pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from cmackenzie4

Sorry to hear that mate, I hope you get fixed up, I’m sure you will when everything is back to normal.👍

Cheers mate... (thumbup)
Posted by: Gonze, April 13, 2020, 4:36pm; Reply: 19
I have an opposite situation. I was on vacation ad still on vacation in Portuguese property  just because I can't go back to my home country from Europe due to the flights ban. So I work remotely and rest here with my wife at the same time.
Posted by: 28195 (Guest), April 19, 2020, 10:50am; Reply: 20
Just had to pay balance for holiday to Benidorm that will probably not happen in July. Had to take a cut in salary since Coronavirus and these robbers still take your money.

Meggies will be rammed this summer, with a big beach and caravan parks plenty of scope for safe social distancing.

Thinking of buying a tent ⛺️ as don’t fancy foreign holidays anymore, any recommendations?
Posted by: grimsby pete, April 19, 2020, 10:57am; Reply: 21
Quoted from 28195
Just had to pay balance for holiday to Benidorm that will probably not happen in July. Had to take a cut in salary since Coronavirus and these robbers still take your money.

Meggies will be rammed this summer, with a big beach and caravan parks plenty of scope for safe social distancing.

Thinking of buying a tent ⛺️ as don’t fancy foreign holidays anymore, any recommendations?

Why did you pay the balance of you know it will be cancelled.?

There are lots of nice seaside holiday destinations in the U.K. Dorset is very nice and Suffolk has a few as well as Norfolk.
Posted by: aldi_01, April 19, 2020, 10:57am; Reply: 22
Although it’s a flawed logic, don’t you have to essentially pay for the whole holiday in order to be able to claim when they likely cancel it?

We’re due to fly to Hawaii in late July, we’ll be waiting until the last minute before making any decisions, assuming flights are taking off we’ll be ok, if they’re grounded then we’ll get a refund. Our AirBnB is refundable deposit so that’s not much of an issue either.

I can imagine it’s a pain in the bottom for those who’ve booked package holidays or done the bit part holidays like booking hotels and flights separate etc.

In all seriousness, the tourist industry across the world will be smashed to bits after this. Although, I’d expect once things begin to start up again prices may be low which could be something to capitalise on.
Posted by: grimsby pete, April 19, 2020, 11:04am; Reply: 23
I think once this is all over everybody will want a holiday having been locked up.  Freedom !!!!!!!!!!!!!  😂
Posted by: 28195 (Guest), April 19, 2020, 11:10am; Reply: 24
That sounds right, if we didn’t pay balance we’d be in breach of contract and lose the deposit. Even though Spain’s Tourist Minister said they won’t be open until September the travel industry still takes your money as the UK side has not been formerly cancelled.

I’d love Dorset, is that the 🦖 coast?
Posted by: grimsby pete, April 19, 2020, 2:55pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from 28195

Yes very nice area.

Sorry did not know you could get deposit back.

Posted by: KingstonMariner, April 19, 2020, 3:34pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from 28195
That sounds right, if we didn’t pay balance we’d be in breach of contract and lose the deposit. Even though Spain’s Tourist Minister said they won’t be open until September the travel industry still takes your money as the UK side has not been formerly cancelled.

Dorset is ace. Very varied coastline due to all the different rocks that come out at the coast. Beautiful scenery in land with lots of chocolate box villages. Iron Age hillforts. Monkey World 🐵,  Bovington Tank Museum.
Posted by: 28195 (Guest), April 19, 2020, 3:41pm; Reply: 27

Dorset is ace. Very varied coastline due to all the different rocks that come out at the coast. Beautiful scenery in land with lots of chocolate box villages. Iron Age hillforts. Monkey World 🐵,  Bovington Tank Museum.

Better keep the tanks quiet 🤫 to the wife but she likes primates
Posted by: Maringer, April 19, 2020, 10:47pm; Reply: 28
Went to Dorset a few years back and it was very nice. I was surprised by the variety of landscape as mentioned by Kingston because I'd not been there since I was a kid and didn't remember anything about the county. Stopped in Charmouth which is a nice little place with a couple of pubs and walked up the coast to Golden Cap and back one day. Great views and a lovely walk. Must say, however, I thought Lyme Regis a bit of a dump! Weymouth a craphole as well. Elsewhere, lovely. Just a pity so many of the nice places in England are so fricking far away from Cleethorpes!
Posted by: KingstonMariner, April 20, 2020, 4:39pm; Reply: 29
The walk up Golden Cap is steep but worth it. I disagree about Lyme. Preferred it to Charmouth. About 30 years since I went to Weymouth and that was in the winter. Swanage has a great beach, town is traditional seaside place. Studland near there has nice little beaches but I hear there is a nudie beach nearby so don’t stray too far! Sandbanks is a nice beach spoiled a bit by jet skis and speedboats a bit further out.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, April 21, 2020, 10:55am; Reply: 30
Quoted from promotion plaice

Booked another holiday at Haven Primrose Valley in July not long ago, can't see it happening though.

I'm due there Monday-Friday at the end of May. Before lockdown their sites were open but the facilities weren't so people couldn't cancel. They have since brought out a coronavirus guarantee which looks very fair. With Italy being 2 weeks ahead of us on the curve, I will be making my decision early next month.

Quoted Text

FREE Coronavirus Book With Confidence Guarantee on all 2020 and 2021 bookings

We recognise that we are all living in unprecedented and uncertain times, but one thing we are sure of is that everyone needs something to look forward to. The Coronavirus Book With Confidence Guarantee means you can book your holiday safe in the knowledge that you are covered if the Coronavirus Pandemic interrupts your plans.

The guarantee is free for all bookings in 2020 and 2021.

What is covered?
The book with confidence guarantee is free of charge and automatically applies to all existing and new bookings for 2020 and 2021, you don't need to do anything.

In relation to the Coronavirus outbreak you are covered for the following:

1. The park is closed

2. UK Government restrictions on travel

3. You are unable to travel due to sickness or isolation

4. You consider it unsafe to come on holiday

I need to claim against the guarantee, what do I do?
All you need to do is get in touch with us at any point within the guarantee change window which is between 28 days and 3 days prior to arrival and you can:

1. Transfer your holiday to new dates in 2020 or 2021, free of charge*

2. If you don't know your new dates, transfer your money into a Haven holding account to be redeemed against a future holiday, again free of charge

3. Cancel your booking and receive a full no quibble refund
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, May 21, 2020, 9:19am; Reply: 31
Was due to fly with TUI on 11th June
Got email back yesterday (originally emailed them about 2-3weeks ago) saying refund will be with us within 14 days.

No complaints at all
Posted by: ginnywings, May 23, 2020, 12:43am; Reply: 32
Me and Mrs Ginny have a new shiny campervan sat on the drive waiting for lockdown to finish. We planned to tour all around the Scottish Highlands and Islands for the entire summer and are both champing at the bit to get going. It's very frustrating, having made so many plans over the winter months. After that, we will be spending our retirement going where ever the mood takes us. The Nordic countries are also on the agenda at some point.

I can also recommend Dorset to anyone thinking of going. It's a beautiful county and one of my favourites alongside Northumberland.
Posted by: Les Brechin, May 23, 2020, 7:11am; Reply: 33
Should have been leaving Southampton this morning for an 8 day cruise visiting Guernsey, Spain and Portugal.

I just hope that P&O don't go bust and I'll be able to use my 125% Future Cruise Credit next year.
Posted by: aldi_01, May 25, 2020, 8:58am; Reply: 34
I still believe my issue will be actually being able to travel. Hawaii is slowly opening, hotel is likely to open but can’t see us being able to get there...thankfully hotel, car company etc have already confirmed we’d receive a refund if we aren’t able to travel...
Posted by: LH, May 25, 2020, 10:38pm; Reply: 35
I should have landed in Sicily this time last night.  :'(
Posted by: Les Brechin, May 26, 2020, 7:23am; Reply: 36
Quoted from LH
I should have landed in Sicily this time last night.  :'(

We would have been docking in Oporto this morning.  :o

One good thing I suppose those is at least we'll have our cruise still to look forward to after Saturday.
Posted by: codcheeky, May 27, 2020, 11:38pm; Reply: 37
Quoted from Les Brechin

We would have been docking in Oporto this morning.  :o

One good thing I suppose those is at least we'll have our cruise still to look forward to after Saturday.

Should be visiting my son in British Columbia this week, still waiting for Virgin to give us a refund, offered us a voucher but had full cancellation insurance so expect a refund. Getting in touch with anyone there is a nightmare.
Posted by: ginnywings, May 30, 2020, 2:07am; Reply: 38
We are thinking of going to Barnard Castle for an eye test. Been there before and it was a bit sleepy. Nice castle though.

Seriously. we are thinking of going away in our camper oop north and taking our chances. What's good for the goose......
Posted by: Ipswin, May 30, 2020, 8:11pm; Reply: 39
Any takers for tickets for the three Netherlands Euros games in Amsterdam next month?
Print page generated: May 2, 2024, 3:41am