Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Les Brechin, March 13, 2020, 11:45am
Obviously with this morning's news I will be suspending the Fishy Buster and Prediction League until the season restarts.

May have to may a couple of tweaks when it does depending on the number of weeks left as they may play some game that would have been a Saturday in midweek, but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, March 13, 2020, 4:05pm; Reply: 1
Oh no... first time I've got to the top of the Icenian ( well sharing top spot ) and now this

For the first time ever I know what it feels like to be a Liverpool fan   ;D
Posted by: Civvy at last, March 13, 2020, 5:25pm; Reply: 2
Quoted from FishOutOfWater
Oh no... first time I've got to the top of the Icenian ( well sharing top spot ) and now this

For the first time ever I know what it feels like to be a Liverpool fan   ;D

Guess you’ll have to put that ‘this is my year’ T shirt back in the wardrobe  ;)
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, March 13, 2020, 5:49pm; Reply: 3
Quoted from Civvy at last

Guess you’ll have to put that ‘this is my year’ T shirt back in the wardrobe  ;)

It's the tattoo that I'm more concerned about....  ;D
Posted by: Mallyner, March 14, 2020, 9:47am; Reply: 4
Quoted from FishOutOfWater
Oh no... first time I've got to the top of the Icenian ( well sharing top spot ) and now this ;D

I share your pain mate.   ;)

And well done as always Les.  :)

Posted by: Les Brechin, March 19, 2020, 1:54pm; Reply: 5
A further extension then until at least April 30th BUT we will get the season finished sometime. When that will be though God only knows!!

Take care all.
Posted by: Les Brechin, April 3, 2020, 1:17pm; Reply: 6
Just a quick update on this.

Obviously as each week goes by it's seeming more and more likely that this season won't actually finish,

No problem really with The Prediction League as no money involved and I could just void this season if needs be but a bit different with the buster. I've already paid out two £50 prizes, so it's not as simple as just refunding everyone's money or giving everyone a free go at the next buster.

I'm wracking my brains a bit as the best way to resolve this IF the FA/EFL decide to write this season off. It's looking like The National League (whose teams are in the buster) have already done this.

Any bright ideas as to what to do IF the worst does come to the worst.
Posted by: Brazilnut, April 3, 2020, 1:22pm; Reply: 7
How much is left in the pot mate ......I have 2 thoughts ....just give to charity or if enough left a season tickets for next year and then a draw of all entrants
Posted by: Les Brechin, April 3, 2020, 1:36pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from Brazilnut
How much is left in the pot mate ......I have 2 thoughts ....just give to charity or if enough left a season tickets for next year and then a draw of all entrants

Still to pay out is £300 to the winner, £50 to the lowest scorer and two £30 prizes at random between all non-winners, so I'm still sitting on £410 in prize money.
Posted by: Grantham_Mariner, April 3, 2020, 1:58pm; Reply: 9
Just restart it the first week all six leagues are playing, this season or next.
Posted by: Les Brechin, April 3, 2020, 2:08pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from Grantham_Mariner
Just restart it the first week all six leagues are playing, this season or next.

Can't really do that though can I as I've already paid out £100 in prize money to 2 entrants.
Posted by: ivanosandwich, April 3, 2020, 2:27pm; Reply: 11
You could PM the two people that have received £50 prizes and ask if they are in a position to pay it back. If they are, void the game and hold the money for a new game whenever that may be.
Posted by: penrith mariner, April 3, 2020, 3:22pm; Reply: 12
The easiest way is to pay out as the league stands at the minute. Or, restart as the league as it stands now, when all the leagues re start (next season)
Posted by: Hagrid, April 3, 2020, 5:20pm; Reply: 13
Could put all names in a hat or a wheel les? And 8 winners of 50 pounds each?
Posted by: supertown, April 3, 2020, 5:52pm; Reply: 14
I think just hang fire and wait for a decision on the league/prem, they will both do the same thing
Posted by: gobby, April 3, 2020, 6:38pm; Reply: 15
I agree with everybody’s name in the hat and £50 to the first 8 drawn! 8)
UTMM
Posted by: Les Brechin, April 3, 2020, 6:41pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from supertown
just hang fire and wait for a decision on the league/prem, they will both do the same thing

I think that's what I'm going to do. The only problem though is that teams will probably be playing Saturday/Tuesday/Saturday/Tuesday to finish the games so in that case instead of just weekend games counting I may change it to Friday-Monday games as now but also take into account games played Tuesday-Thursday to make sure the game's won by the end of the season.
Posted by: crusty ole pie, April 5, 2020, 9:10am; Reply: 17
My suggestion is do a virtual comp how ever many entries there is put that amount of balls in the bag number 0 to six ( 6 so Man Utd can bust) and draw each team a score.
If there is no winner repeat until there is perhaps taking the higher numbers out of the scenario
Just my thoughts.
And before anyone else shouts pieces of paper would do or a dice with the 6 scoring no goals
Posted by: Les Brechin, May 17, 2020, 1:16pm; Reply: 18
A quick update here.

With both The National League and League 2 announcing there will be no more games this season and League 1 likely to follow suit soon, I have decided to declare the latest season of The Prediction League null and void. Thanks to all those who entered and as soon as things finally get back to some sort of normality we will begin another league. There is no financial implication here so there is no problem there.

As for The Fishy Buster that is slightly different. Obviously with the above mentioned leagues ending it will not be viable to complete the game this season. This does leave me with £410 in prize money still to pay out, I have thought of doing the following but will consider any other options anyone might like to suggest on here.

I could hold onto the prize money and restart the game next season when all teams are playing again. Alternatively I could award prizes to entrants at random (i.e 10 prizes of £41 or 5 prizes of £82). I don't really think it is fair to award the winning and lowest score prizes to the highest and lowest scorers at the moment as the highest at the moment could just as easily bust. Another option is to donate some or all of the remaining money to 1 or more worthy charities.

What do we all think?
Posted by: Civvy at last, May 17, 2020, 1:26pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from Les Brechin
A quick update here.

With both The National League and League 2 announcing there will be no more games this season and League 1 likely to follow suit soon, I have decided to declare the latest season of The Prediction League null and void. Thanks to all those who entered and as soon as things finally get back to some sort of normality we will begin another league. There is no financial implication here so there is no problem there.

As for The Fishy Buster that is slightly different. Obviously with the above mentioned leagues ending it will not be viable to complete the game this season. This does leave me with £410 in prize money still to pay out, I have thought of doing the following but will consider any other options anyone might like to suggest on here.

I could hold onto the prize money and restart the game next season when all teams are playing again. Alternatively I could award prizes to entrants at random (i.e 10 prizes of £41 or 5 prizes of £82). I don't really think it is fair to award the winning and lowest score prizes to the highest and lowest scorers at the moment as the highest at the moment could just as easily bust. Another option is to donate some or all of the remaining money to 1 or more worthy charities.

What do we all think?

5 or 10 prizes gets my vote.
10 prizes means 10 people get a bit of cheer. 😄
Posted by: thevera, May 17, 2020, 4:32pm; Reply: 20
Hold on to money and restart when we can.
Posted by: penrith mariner, May 17, 2020, 4:33pm; Reply: 21
I agree with 5 or 10 prizes too, don't mind which
Posted by: gobby, May 18, 2020, 7:58am; Reply: 22
Save the money and then pay for a players kit sponsor next season! If there is enough to do this that is.  8)
UTMM
Posted by: bartgtfc, May 18, 2020, 8:55am; Reply: 23
The draw for me, and then restart as and when
Thanks for running the comps Les.
Posted by: ivanosandwich, May 18, 2020, 9:03am; Reply: 24
Restart when we can with the same conditions as now, same teams obviously but also the current number of goals.
Posted by: Brazilnut, May 18, 2020, 9:13am; Reply: 25
I am easy either way ...for me you could donate it to the Brain Tumor charity  seeing you put in all the work organising things
Posted by: crusty ole pie, May 18, 2020, 9:34am; Reply: 26
Mothball it and restart beginning of next season
Or buy shares in the club and have a massive new one when football resumes with a cash prize and a dollop of shares that why we are doing our little bit in helping the club in these testing times
Posted by: Civvy at last, May 18, 2020, 11:04am; Reply: 27
I have a few questions Les.

Given that we have known about this situation for several weeks now, why has it taken so long for you to respond ?

Why was there never some kind of plan in place if this sort of thing should happen ?

Some of your earlier statements weren't very clear at all.  We needed clear leadership regarding this and not mixed messages.

Even now, you do not seem to have set a clear deadline for the decision to be made as to what will happen with the money.  How are we supposed to plan ahead?

Given that some people have already received winnings how do you intend to ensure a fair resolution to those of us that may have won ? Why should they benefit and I don't.  Surely we should all be given £50 each !!!

Are you happy that you have handled this situation in a satisfactory manner and that we should still have confidence in you?

Could you not post a daily update as to what may happen, possibly about 5pm daily.

What measures do you intend to put in place to make sure this kind of fiasco will not happen again.

And finally,

Do you think I have been watching too may Coronavirus updates.   ;D ;D ;D

Whatever the final decision Les is fine by me.

This post if firmly tongue in cheek.

Posted by: Hagrid, May 18, 2020, 11:14am; Reply: 28
Donate Half to a chosen Charity then 5 random Winners of a prize. Hope all are well
Posted by: Les Brechin, May 18, 2020, 1:15pm; Reply: 29
People do seem to be split on the best way forward but as a few have mentioned my preferred resolution of holding the money until we are back to normal at the start of next season  (whenever that is) then I have decided that that will be the fairest way to distribute the balance of the prize money.

Obviously people will keep the same teams and if any entrants have team who end up being relegated from The National League, then their scores in the National North or South Leagues will count.

I hope this is okay with all entrants. Okay I might earn 0.127p interest on the money going by the current interest rates but hopefully people will accept this to be the fairest way to resolve this problem.
Posted by: crusty ole pie, May 18, 2020, 9:05pm; Reply: 30
Fine by me Les
Print page generated: April 24, 2024, 8:32am