Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: grimsby pete, February 25, 2020, 10:05pm
Scrappy game at time with some nice bits of play in between,

Plenty of goals and 3 more points so a good night for us,

Very good goal from Benson and a good game from Clifton,

The ref was useless but we are used to that .

Only 3,500 of us and 33 of them at the game which was a tad disappointing,

Roll on Saturday when there will be a few hundred in the away end and a good few more of us,

There will be plenty of goals again because we always look like scoring and we always look if we will concede,

A bit better than the pre Ollie days where 1 goal was going to win the game.

Posted by: MuddyWaters, February 25, 2020, 10:10pm; Reply: 1
Quoted from grimsby pete

Roll on Saturday when there will be a few hundred in the away end and a good few more of us,

There will be plenty of goals again because we always look like scoring and we always look if we will concede,

Which room did you watch it in Pete?
Posted by: geir, February 25, 2020, 10:11pm; Reply: 2
When did we last score 4 goals in a game? Seems like ages ago. Just need to sharpen up the defence a little. Good times ahead - enjoying every minute of it!

UTMM
Posted by: Hagrid, February 25, 2020, 10:13pm; Reply: 3
Defence at fault for the first, newport were newport, conning the weak ref. Played some good stuff, thought Hewitt Clifton Waterfall had good games. Max and Matt Green look low on confidence and id like to see greeny get a goal to help him but we lose so so much when hanson is not on the pitch, he is such an asset. tilley my MOM looked really good as the game went on
Posted by: MuddyWaters, February 25, 2020, 10:16pm; Reply: 4
Newport are bunch of cynical diving sheepshagging tossers, Stocksbridge is an ‘all about me’ ref, and, in other news, we are now an entertaining, albeit work in progress, team with some pretty talented footballers. Decent performances from Vernam, Clifton and Tilley but Benson just has so much quality so MoM for me. Clarke class in his cameo and great energy from Max.
Posted by: ginnywings, February 25, 2020, 10:18pm; Reply: 5
Thoroughly enjoyable game in which Newprt played their part, but we had just a bit more than them on the night, althouh i feared at one stage it would end up 3-3.

It's no mean feat putting four past them with their defensive record this season, but at times we carved them open, with Benson and particularly Tilley having excellent games in midfield. We still have a tendency to fall asleep at the back and gift easy goals, but when we can score four at the other end, it all adds up to much more entertaining games than we have seen for some time. Think Olly was trying a few things tonight, so he can get closer to knowing who will make the cut at the end of the season.

The ref was a preening prat and made the game about him too much for my liking but you can't complain at 6 goals on a bitterly cold night to keep you warm. We look so much more capable going forward and were getting behind and turning their defenders much morethan we have for many a moon. Tighten up at the back and we could be going places.

MOM Tilley.
Posted by: mariner tommy, February 25, 2020, 10:20pm; Reply: 6
Thoroughly enjoyed that, apart from a 15 minute spell in the second half, we controlled the game. Changed shape in the second half to 433 and it worked. Superb effort by everyone and what a free kick from Benson, good all round performance.
The referee was dire. It was b***** cold but well worth it.
UTM
Posted by: grimsby pete, February 25, 2020, 10:25pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Which room did you watch it in Pete?

Bed  ;)
Posted by: KingstonMariner, February 25, 2020, 10:30pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from grimsby pete

Bed  ;)

Aye aye! Sounds a bit like the 'Archie Gemmill World Cup goal' scene from Trainspotting to me.  ;)
Posted by: MuddyWaters, February 25, 2020, 10:34pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Aye aye! Sounds a bit like the 'Archie Gemmill World Cup goal' scene from Trainspotting to me.  ;)

Beat me to it 🤪
Posted by: Hagrid, February 25, 2020, 10:41pm; Reply: 10
ohman & Green were going to start but turned up late and will be fined. Very poor to not be there on time for a matchday
Posted by: lukeo, February 25, 2020, 10:43pm; Reply: 11
Must hhave been a very narrow 433.. I really enjoyed the game but one critic is I felt second half we was very very narrow. Really enjoying watching individual skills. Tilly, Vernam and Clarke are unreal and almost impossible to defend against when they're 'on it'
I paid for ifollow tonight and decided I'll be doing the same again next Tuesday. Ifollow has its good and bad views but a positive is the club get moree money from me since ifollow put on mid week games live. :)
UtM
Posted by: LH, February 25, 2020, 10:48pm; Reply: 12
The worst referee I’ve seen this season (from a cast of dozens). Lost the game in the first half, failed to act on their play acting all the way through and gave us barely anything compared to their everything. The handball near the end that the ref and lino missed was particularly comical.

Fair one to the Newport fans who had presumably booked time off work etc to come and watch that particular brand of joyless football. It’s no wonder the attendances are so low in League Two if you have to watch the roly-poly crap every week.

Thought we played some brilliant stuff at times. Very nearly scored a brilliant team goal near the end. The addition of Clarke just before made it more comfortable late on - we were starting to wobble and couldn’t adjust to the personnel change quickly enough.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, February 25, 2020, 10:51pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from lukeo
Must hhave been a very narrow 433.. I really enjoyed the game but one critic is I felt second half we was very very narrow. Really enjoying watching individual skills. Tilly, Vernam and Clarke are unreal and almost impossible to defend against when they're 'on it'
I paid for ifollow tonight and decided I'll be doing the same again next Tuesday. Ifollow has its good and bad views but a positive is the club get moree money from me since ifollow put on mid week games live. :)
UtM

For those of us who won't go anyway watching the midweek games on iFollow is a good way of getting a bit more money to the club and enjoy the game. Hope it doesn't put home based people off going though.

Agree on the skills as well. Tilley is a great prospect. Entertaining to watch, with what so far looks like more end product than Sneaky Tenbellies had when he was with us, before Nunty sold him.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, February 25, 2020, 10:52pm; Reply: 14
On another note, still concerned about our keeper who could have done better with both goals tonight.
Posted by: ginnywings, February 25, 2020, 10:57pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from MuddyWaters
On another note, still concerned about our keeper who could have done better with both goals tonight.

Their keeper was just as culpable and didn't look too safe. Did exactly the same as Macca for our first and threw it back in the mixer. Suppose that's what you get in League 2.

Maybe Olly can bring in a young up and comer  ala Henderson on a season long loan?
Posted by: Theimperialcoroner, February 25, 2020, 10:59pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from MuddyWaters

As could the defence!
Posted by: grimsby pete, February 25, 2020, 11:02pm; Reply: 17

For those of us who won't go anyway watching the midweek games on iFollow is a good way of getting a bit more money to the club and enjoy the game. Hope it doesn't put home based people off going though.

Agree on the skills as well. Tilley is a great prospect. Entertaining to watch, with what so far looks like more end product than Sneaky Tenbellies had when he was with us, before Nunty sold him.

There are a lot of us exiles KM so all the £8 add up,

I am enjoying the football so much more since Ollie arrived.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, February 25, 2020, 11:02pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from ginnywings

Their keeper was just as culpable and didn't look too safe. Did exactly the same as Macca for our first and threw it back in the mixer. Suppose that's what you get in League 2.

Maybe Olly can bring in a young up and comer  ala Henderson on a season long loan?

Take your point Ginny but I’m not bothered about their keeper, I’m concerned about whether ours is as good as we need to get promoted.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, February 25, 2020, 11:08pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from grimsby pete

There are a lot of us exiles KM so all the £8 add up,

I am enjoying the football so much more since Ollie arrived.

I bet your missus is too. All that excitement in the bedroom.  ;)  ;D ;D ;D
Posted by: moosey_club, February 25, 2020, 11:13pm; Reply: 20
Weird game, weird atmosphere. Good goals, comical goals, genuine disbelief at refereeing performance and the normal goal for Podge on view.

Think the very early goal threw everybody out of sync, then an extremely poor equaliser given away...Macca all day long again for me should have swallowed the through ball easily,  lovely second goal from Benson, seems ages since have seen someone curl a free kick in like that.
The third goal should have seen the game over but our substitutions/formation swap seemed to hinder us for a short while and another goal conceded coming from a shot from the edge of the box.....at that point i feared a draw but we rallied and Clark's introduction gave us that final bit of quality. Lucky deflection to seal it just at the right time.
Scored four with arguably some second choice players starting, felt we missed Glennon & Clark when in possession Clifton put a hell of a shift in and wasnt that wasteful on the ball, probably should have had a penalty when he looked to be charged in the back when in on goal.

Ref...?? I think we all like to think we are objective to some extent when maybe in reality we possibly arent...however this evening....he was terrible. The same things either ignored or given depending on the colour of the shirt, totally innocent things given as fouls, blatant fouls/ handballs not given. I can almost tolerate a ref being sh1t if he is consistently sh1t...this one i just didnt have a clue what was coming next.

Plenty of goals, 3 points.  UTM

Posted by: KingstonMariner, February 25, 2020, 11:15pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Take your point Ginny but I’m not bothered about their keeper, I’m concerned about whether ours is as good as we need to get promoted.

Defence were at fault for both those goals. First one Waterfall let the ball past him and Garmston lost his man. Then the second there were 3 Newport players on the left of the six yard box in space when Macca saved the first shot.
Posted by: hampshiremariner, February 25, 2020, 11:18pm; Reply: 22
Thanks everyone for these optimistic reports. Exiled aged fans such as me appreciate the insights and humour.
We are now scoring some goals and the public has something to cheer them up. A welcome three points. Ollie is making progress and it looks like the lads are enjoying playing for him.  
Posted by: Mayaman, February 25, 2020, 11:31pm; Reply: 23
I wish ifollow would get the highlights up quicker.  I woke up and wanted to watch them without knowing the score.  Not to be.  Will have to have a shufty while at work but it's not the same when you know the outcome.  Nice to see four different scorers and especially Benson who didn't do so well against Swindon.  UTMM!
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, February 25, 2020, 11:39pm; Reply: 24
Tend to agree with Moosey that in many ways it was a strange game and personally I thought we struggled tonight but now we are winning more often then not we are starting to get the rub of the green ( not Matt unfortunately) in front of their goal and we are getting goals from rebounds, directly from free kicks and the odd deflection, and how nice it is.

When I say we struggled  I should clarify that for significant parts off the game we had difficulty retaining the ball and putting them under pressure in their own half. Shows what a funny game it is when you contrast this performance with those against Scunny and Exeter when we excellent scored no goals and lost them both.

Still was enjoyable for many reasons and can’t complain after seeing us score four. Thought for the second year running at BP that Newport were average and their defence looked absolutely woeful and once Clarke came on the result didn’t seem in doubt. Not sure about the left back though!!!!
Posted by: quebec38, February 25, 2020, 11:45pm; Reply: 25
Deserved 3 points. If we’d dropped any points here we’d have only had ourselves to blame. We are a bit ropey at the back and that definitely needs to improve. I don’t know if it’s the lack of protection from the midfield or just coaching because on paper we have a good back 4 and goalkeeper.
Pollock is great and will only get better but he could make better use of possession for me. Could probably say the same for Waterfall as well.
Another good win though and you can feel the confidence in the players growing quickly game by game. 10th placed FGR within sights now and then we’ll see where we go from there.
Posted by: PoutonStepover, February 25, 2020, 11:56pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from Mayaman
I wish ifollow would get the highlights up quicker.  I woke up and wanted to watch them without knowing the score.  Not to be.

Short highlights – available with a subscription for both domestic* and international fans from the later of (a) 7pm or (b) 3 hours after the final whistle, and then available free of charge from 1am the day after the game
Extended highlights – available free of charge from 1am the day after the game (all games)
Full match replay – available free of charge from 1am the day after the game (all games)
Posted by: Maringer, February 26, 2020, 12:19am; Reply: 27
They were the first team I've seen to put the press on us at BP since Holloway's arrival and I don't think we dealt with it particularly well. Hesitant when we did try to play it out and, to be honest, it was often just a case of making a couple of passes under pressure before whacking it upfield in any case. I don't think the midfield were supporting the defence enough in this regard. I think we could have done better, but there would have been no shame to just accept that putting it towards Hanson's head/body was relatively effective in comparison (when the referee didn't imagine a foul by him).

I think the scoreline flattered us a bit but also think that the positive approach should lead to more goals in general for us so it wasn't just luck. They had some good footballers and played some good stuff at times, especially in the second half when we struggled to win and retain the ball quite a bit.

Unlike many I wasn't wowed by Tilley. Some very skilful touches here and there but a bit lightweight and muscled off the ball too easily on occasion as well, though he received little protection from the referee. He's got the ability and it would be nice to see him more involved - I'd equate it to Vernam's performances last season where he was very much hot and cold. A lovely piece of skill near the end where he skinned those players in the box so that's the type of occasion where we need to punish the opposition.

I thought McKeown was partially culpable for their first goal, but no more so than the defenders. A lovely pass forward but both Matt and the eventual scorer had got in behind our defence without too many problems. I don't think he could have done a great deal more with their second as the shot was well-struck and came through a crowd of players. Defence once again culpable as they were queueing up to score at the back post. McKeown is certainly the newest target for those who like to have a moan. Heard some bloke on the phone after the game pretty much blaming him entirely for both goals and there was even more moaning than usual in the stand around me in the second half on just about the only occasion I can recall where he kicked a ball straight into touch when not under pressure!

The referee started off well for the first ten minutes or so but then just went to pieces. Some of the things for which we were penalised were just ridiculous and certainly helped them a lot more than us. My favourite was in the first half when Clifton was penalised for getting to the ball first and tapping it away from their player who hit the deck without a touch but was gifted a free-kick! On the other hand, blatant shoves against us were ignored.

Have to say, Clarke made such a difference when he came on as we suddenly started to retain the ball a bit better. His footwork in the area which led to Wright's goal was brilliant.

I think I'd have given my MoM to Clifton for impressive workrate and passing which was as tidy as most of the others. Benson looked a bit jaded to me. I wonder if he'll be rested by the manager shortly?

Garmston the only one who worried me today. Not sure if his fitness isn't up to scratch yet but he certainly struggled at times and gave the ball away weakly quite often. Took his goal very well, it must be said, but he rarely got up in support after that. Hopefully more to come from him but Glennon should certainly be starting as many games as possible, providing his fitness and stamina is up to scratch.

If we keep on going like this, we're going to end up with a healthy positive goal difference. Almost need to pinch myself considering what we saw before Christmas.
Posted by: TheultimateMariner, February 26, 2020, 12:29am; Reply: 28
Not sure if anyone else noticed this, but Green really wasn't showing any enthusiasm whatsoever, be it in his work rate or just with the team in general. A couple of examples of this I picked up on, was when Wright's goal was scored, he just kind of stood on his own and slowly walked to the players who were celebrating. Also, at the end of the game, when the players were clapping the fans, he really didn't seem to care, and was giving a half @rsed clap to the fans. Makes me wonder, has Ollie said basically told him it's the end for him as a Grimsby player or something along those lines. Also saw a comment saying that Ohman and Green turned up late and would have started otherwise. Makes me think, will both of their contracts be getting terminated in the summer?
Posted by: Maringer, February 26, 2020, 7:24am; Reply: 29
You can't terminate a contract for no cause. We could pay it up or negotiate a settlement but, either way, he'll be getting a good chunk of money from us if he leaves. I didn't think he was bad last night, but he really has been a big disappointment overall. Looks like he's certainly lost something as he's not the hustling, bustling striker I'd been led to believe we were signing. He's not that old for a footballer. Did he get injured at Salford?

I tend to agree that Ohman will be on his way too. He's a decent enough stopper, but I've not seen anything to indicate he will be good enough with the ball at his feet for the way that Holloway wants to play.
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, February 26, 2020, 8:21am; Reply: 30
Tilley with the ball at his feet is lethal, looks like one of them players you hate to play against, because you can't get it off him without giving away a foul!

Benson controls the game, and always wants the ball at his feet.

Garmston wasn't great, but still plenty of time on him, and we've been use to Glennon, who is a class above.
Posted by: Croxton, February 26, 2020, 8:42am; Reply: 31
Green is not a like for like replacement for Hanson as he is woeful against centre halfs. When playing alongside Hanson, he never reads the flick on, gambles or follows up. He has little heart , guile or USP and still gives away free kicks. Even so, he still got on the pitch before Clarke and Max!
There is an element in our support who shout encouragement to him and badly want him to come good but, with the addition of Tilley, Clarke and Grandin he simply has to take his chances better than he has lately.
Posted by: rancido, February 26, 2020, 8:48am; Reply: 32

Defence were at fault for both those goals. First one Waterfall let the ball past him and Garmston lost his man. Then the second there were 3 Newport players on the left of the six yard box in space when Macca saved the first shot.

Macca never "saved" the first shot, he pushed it out giving them the chance to score from that.
Posted by: pen penfras, February 26, 2020, 9:35am; Reply: 33

It's a little harsh on Garmston. That was Pollock's man and he just sprinted off towards the guy that Waterfall left. He does stuff like this fairly often and is exposed for pace, but seems to get away with it because he's young and we want him to be good.

Yet Macca is getting caned by the same people who he called him a hero a few weeks ago for not holding onto a 70mph shot that swerved through a load of bodies and then 3 unmarked players there to tap it in. The defence is shite and it's exposing Macca. He's not been at his best either, but there are plenty of other mistakes going on in that defence without blaming the most loyal player we have for everything.
Posted by: 123614 (Guest), February 26, 2020, 9:46am; Reply: 34
Quoted from pen penfras

It's a little harsh on Garmston. That was Pollock's man and he just sprinted off towards the guy that Waterfall left. He does stuff like this fairly often and is exposed for pace, but seems to get away with it because he's young and we want him to be good.

Yet Macca is getting caned by the same people who he called him a hero a few weeks ago for not holding onto a 70mph shot that swerved through a load of bodies and then 3 unmarked players there to tap it in. The defence is shite and it's exposing Macca. He's not been at his best either, but there are plenty of other mistakes going on in that defence without blaming the most loyal player we have for everything.

This gets my goat.  He wasn't very loyal when he slapped in a transfer request when dropped for a far better keeper than he will ever be.  Also I didn't see much of a swerve and 70 mph?

Posted by: TheultimateMariner, February 26, 2020, 9:48am; Reply: 35
Quoted from Maringer
You can't terminate a contract for no cause. We could pay it up or negotiate a settlement but, either way, he'll be getting a good chunk of money from us if he leaves. I didn't think he was bad last night, but he really has been a big disappointment overall. Looks like he's certainly lost something as he's not the hustling, bustling striker I'd been led to believe we were signing. He's not that old for a footballer. Did he get injured at Salford?

I tend to agree that Ohman will be on his way too. He's a decent enough stopper, but I've not seen anything to indicate he will be good enough with the ball at his feet for the way that Holloway wants to play.

What I meant by terminate was to give them a pay off, a bit like Ogbu and Ring I would imagine. I agree Green hasn’t looked that bad, but he hasn’t looked good enough to be a valuable asset for a team hoping to push on for next season.
With Öhman, I think he’s a great player, but like you say, I don’t think he’s good enough with the ball at his feet. I think he’s just fallen out of favour with Ollie, and should he move on, I would remember him as a player who helped us massively when we needed a good commanding defender who was good in the air.
Posted by: nightrider, February 26, 2020, 10:11am; Reply: 36
Contrary to most i didnt rate Green in preseason nor has my opinion ever changed. Imo he got away with it having Hanson near him who was on fire (still is)
But after our great start i must have been wrong 🤣  

What I've never like about him....
A few years ago there was piece on talksport about players who 'give there all' but don't actually give alot!
Players who the fans warm to due to their perceived 'effort' but their team mates know aren't putting in a shift.
Ive never really played the game so i might be wrong about most things, but ray parlour and the like were talking about how these sorts of players exist at clubs, they even stuck a name on it and I thought Green reeked of it a long time ago. Long before his wonder strike at Chelsea!

He seems to move alot but looks more like he's doing a dance around the ball/play to make himself look better than he actually is. Surely 3 managers would see this straight away?? Obviously not?
Why would he play like that under so many managers. A professional.
I have no idea but this is the impression he's always given me

Even so I was surprised he turned up late when he'd been handed a start. Even more surprised that we've kept him as long as we have
Posted by: NorthseaMariner, February 26, 2020, 10:16am; Reply: 37
Question. Why did the ref have to spend several minutes talking to 5 of their players, before eventually booking Hanson, for what appeared to me as nothing?
Posted by: Abdul19, February 26, 2020, 10:38am; Reply: 38
Quoted from nightrider

Even more surprised that we've kept him as long as we have

We've ended up with no choice really (possibly because he was injured when IH came in?). We can't bring anyone in and with Cook, Rose and Cardwell injured he gets a place on the bench by default!
Posted by: Mandy Dunnit vs Hettie, February 26, 2020, 10:40am; Reply: 39
Quoted from NorthseaMariner
Question. Why did the ref have to spend several minutes talking to 5 of their players, before eventually booking Hanson, for what appeared to me as nothing?

Because he was a total @rse
Posted by: PoutonStepover, February 26, 2020, 10:44am; Reply: 40
Quoted from Croxton
Green is not a like for like replacement for Hanson as he is woeful against centre halfs. When playing alongside Hanson, he never reads the flick on, gambles or follows up. He has little heart , guile or USP and still gives away free kicks. Even so, he still got on the pitch before Clarke and Max!
There is an element in our support who shout encouragement to him and badly want him to come good but, with the addition of Tilley, Clarke and Grandin he simply has to take his chances better than he has lately.

I agree with this, I think our fans want him to do well, but he hasn’t been at the races for a long time. His heart is definitely not in it for me. When he first came he was a bit hustle and bustle and did show some good energy, but now he’s not challenging for headers, he doesn’t chase the ball down and his first touch isn’t great. I don’t think he has a place in the formation and tactics we are playing under Holloway, and he has been given his fair chance of opportunities.
Posted by: nightrider, February 26, 2020, 10:51am; Reply: 41
Quoted from Abdul19

We've ended up with no choice really (possibly because he was injured when IH came in?). We can't bring anyone in and with Cook, Rose and Cardwell injured he gets a place on the bench by default!

Yes you're right but I'd still have got rid long ago. Not being good enough is one thing. Not being arsed is another.
Wes Thomas who was labelled as being lazy by afew? Would have scored a excrement load alongside Hanson imo. Ran his socks off in difficult circumstances

Posted by: NorthseaMariner, February 26, 2020, 10:51am; Reply: 42

You may have hit the nail on the head there.
Posted by: Abdul19, February 26, 2020, 11:09am; Reply: 43
Quoted from nightrider

Yes you're right but I'd still have got rid long ago. Not being good enough is one thing. Not being arsed is another.
Wes Thomas who was labelled as being lazy by afew? Would have scored a excrement load alongside Hanson imo. Ran his socks off in difficult circumstances

Don't disagree with any of that. Ideally we'd have got rid in January but he was injured so Holloway probably wanted to see him play before judging.

Re the talksport piece, Lee Peacock is a prime example!
Posted by: ex-merseymariner, February 26, 2020, 11:12am; Reply: 44

Their defender was indicating he was cut, and presumably trying to get Hanson sent off.

The ref, true to form, booked Hanson for something at the opposition's request that he didn't seem to see..... Very poor performance all round from the type of ref who spent lots of time telling off players and stopping the flow of the game grrr
Posted by: KingstonMariner, February 26, 2020, 11:13am; Reply: 45
Quoted from rancido

Macca never "saved" the first shot, he pushed it out giving them the chance to score from that.

Of course it’s a save! If he hadn’t got his hands to it it would have been a goal. Therefore it’s a save.
Posted by: Tommy, February 26, 2020, 11:26am; Reply: 46
Quoted from ex-merseymariner

Their defender was indicating he was cut, and presumably trying to get Hanson sent off.

The ref, true to form, booked Hanson for something at the opposition's request that he didn't seem to see..... Very poor performance all round from the type of ref who spent lots of time telling off players and stopping the flow of the game grrr

I don't think the ref was going to book Hanson until he saw the guys nose bleeding.
Posted by: Mayaman, February 26, 2020, 11:35am; Reply: 47
Quoted from TheultimateMariner
Not sure if anyone else noticed this, but Green really wasn't showing any enthusiasm whatsoever,

Sulking maybe.  He had been rollocked by IH.  Crap attitude though.  Apparently, he would have started but for being late.  Maybe he was trying to make a point but he didn't realise that the point is IH is the gaffer and he doesn't take any crap. Rightly so.

Posted by: Mayaman, February 26, 2020, 11:39am; Reply: 48
Quoted from PoutonStepover

Short highlights – available with a subscription for both domestic* and international fans from the later of (a) 7pm or (b) 3 hours after the final whistle, and then available free of charge from 1am the day after the game
Extended highlights – available free of charge from 1am the day after the game (all games)
Full match replay – available free of charge from 1am the day after the game (all games)

DOH!! I got up 30 minutes too early. May sound like a spoilt brat but I'm excited about watching Town these days.  Only wish we had longer to go in the season.

Posted by: mariner91, February 26, 2020, 11:45am; Reply: 49
Quoted from Abdul19

Don't disagree with any of that. Ideally we'd have got rid in January but he was injured so Holloway probably wanted to see him play before judging.

Re the talksport piece, Lee Peacock is a prime example!

Amazing how many of our fans bought in to Peacock’s chest thumping though. Don’t think I ever saw him go for anything that wasn’t at least 70/30 in his favour, stealing a wage.
Posted by: Madeleymariner, February 26, 2020, 12:30pm; Reply: 50
Hanson didn't half clock the guy with his arm, intent possibly no, bleeding nose yes, their players/staff screaming for him to be sent off definitely, ref telling them shut up explaining his decision, it wasn't an elbow so no sending off, most probable. Yes the ref wasn't great but made no game changing decisions (undeserved reds, penalties, off side/handball goals etc.) we have had worse this season and much worse before that.
Posted by: Tommy, February 26, 2020, 12:44pm; Reply: 51
Another entertaining game with us playing the (now) Grimsby Town way.

Says a lot about the mentality of the team now when our full-back is scoring from 6 yards out inside the first minute of the game.

Thought there'd be goals in the game because Newport, despite there apparent goal-shy record, looked a threat too.
Their first goal looked a bit of a calamitous one though, Macca caught between coming for it and being left stranded in no mans land, and the back 4 not dealing with it or following men. Great ball in from their wide man, but poor one to concede in my opinion.

Got lucky when Jamille Matt skied it into the roof of the Pontoon from close range, but I thought we were generally the better side and were trying to play football. Hanson with a lot of good hold up play and lay-offs, Vernam running at people and looking a threat, forcing the foul for our 2nd. Great free kick from Benson to put us 2-1 up just before half-time.

I liked the positivity of our first substitution at 2-1. Seeing Green about to come on it would've been safe to assume that it was going to be for Hanson or one of the front 3 at least. But bringing Whitehouse off (who wasn't playing poorly actually, and played a lovely pass to CV for our first goal) was quite an attacking move. It left us with a front 3 and then Tilley central in midfield as a very attack-minded player at the tip of the 3 in midfield. Two minutes later Tilley dribbles through the middle and the ball falls to Hanson who shin-rolls one in.

Newport's 2nd goal made things a little bit nervy again, although I still always back us to score again. As opposed to the one the other week that Macca pushed back out in front of goal, this one was much more of a reactionary save where it was enough just to keep it out of goal and there wasn't time to adjust and push it out and away from goal. Waterfall had got drawn into charging to block the initial shot, and Amond had cleverly drifted off to the left and was on his own to knock it in.

Clarke came on and added some more composure in the final third, with prime example being our 4 goal - everyone in the crowd screams "man on", but he's a good player and is already well aware there's pressure about to come from behind him, he lets the guy come up to him, keeps his body between the ball and the player, then glides forward with some close control in the box when he knows they can't dive in on him, and then just sets it for Max.

I think our "Saturday full-backs" will be back in at the weekend. Hewitt and Garmston didn't do too badly, but Hendrie is better than Hewitt and Garmston still looks a bit rusty like he's getting up to speed (understandably if he hasn't played much this season).

Clifton had a decent game, did a lot of mopping things up and generally kept things simple. A bit sloppy on a few occasions but generally had a good game.

Tilley I thought was very good and showed why Holloway was raving about him when he signed him. A comment I've made about him today is that he looks like a player we've got on loan from a Premier League/Championship club, like Glennon/Benson. Great with the ball at his feet, great technique, great balance, good strength on the ball, good skill in 1v1's and looking to be creative. Just looks classy and I think will be a very important player for us.

Vernam had his best game since Colchester after a few quiet games since. Saw a lot of the ball, especially first half. And actually mixed it up a lot more last night too, going outside on the left a lot more than he usually does, rather than just cutting infield to shoot every time.

Sadly I don't think Green offered anything in his half an hour and c@cked up a simple pass that would've played Max Wright in on goal late on. I dont think Green suits a position in our current system really, I only see him as being effective in a front 2, which we are not going to play in the main.

Just really enjoying watching us play. Very surprised at the crowd last night. Even though it's the end of the month, anything under 4000 is quite low so surprising to see it that low when we're playing proper football and scoring goals.
Posted by: diehardmariner, February 26, 2020, 1:10pm; Reply: 52
Regards Green, he was having pictures and talking to fans at the end.  Didn't look like he was sulking.

That said, can't argue with any of the points raised about him on the pitch.  Genuinely struggle to see what he offers and it baffles me that he seems to hold almost cult status with some.
Posted by: rancido, February 26, 2020, 1:27pm; Reply: 53
Quoted from diehardmariner
Regards Green, he was having pictures and talking to fans at the end.  Didn't look like he was sulking.

That said, can't argue with any of the points raised about him on the pitch.  Genuinely struggle to see what he offers and it baffles me that he seems to hold almost cult status with some.

I couldn't understand the logic of Jolley in signing Green. Wrong side of 30 and playing in a non-league team that just got promoted and then released. Wrong call IMO.
Posted by: jock dock tower, February 26, 2020, 3:35pm; Reply: 54
Prior to last night Newport had conceded the second fewest goals in the division, at an average of less than one per game, so that puts last night's performance into perspective. That the goals came from four different players is most welcome as it shows there's not an over reliance on one player. That also takes some of the pressure off Charles Vernam as well. It's all looking healthy at the moment....
Posted by: arryarryarry, February 26, 2020, 3:42pm; Reply: 55
Quoted from Madeleymariner
Hanson didn't half clock the guy with his arm, intent possibly no, bleeding nose yes, their players/staff screaming for him to be sent off definitely, ref telling them shut up explaining his decision, it wasn't an elbow so no sending off, most probable. Yes the ref wasn't great but made no game changing decisions (undeserved reds, penalties, off side/handball goals etc.) we have had worse this season and much worse before that.

I thought we had a good shout for a penalty when Clifton was barged over when running into the penalty area when their player was no where near to the ball and just took him out.
Overall I thought the ref was crap.
Posted by: Les Brechin, February 26, 2020, 3:48pm; Reply: 56
Is that right? There was only one corner last night. For a fairly high-scoring game, that's very unusual.
Posted by: arryarryarry, February 26, 2020, 4:01pm; Reply: 57
Quoted from Les Brechin
Is that right? There was only one corner last night. For a fairly high-scoring game, that's very unusual.

That's what we were saying, especially with the corner coming at the end of the game.
Posted by: GyMariner, February 26, 2020, 4:23pm; Reply: 58
Quoted from Madeleymariner

Ref said not all elbows are red cards apparently
Posted by: KingstonMariner, February 26, 2020, 6:05pm; Reply: 59
Quoted from arryarryarry

That's what we were saying, especially with the corner coming at the end of the game.

The BBC stats had it down as just the one for us. Though I'm often sceptical about their match stats.
Posted by: moosey_club, February 26, 2020, 6:53pm; Reply: 60
Not sure if anyone else noticed this, but Green really wasn't showing any enthusiasm whatsoever, be it in his work rate or just with the team in general. A couple of examples of this I picked up on, was when Wright's goal was scored, he just kind of stood on his own and slowly walked to the players who were celebrating. Also, at the end of the game, when the players were clapping the fans, he really didn't seem to care, and was giving a half @rsed clap to the fans. Makes me wonder, has Ollie said basically told him it's the end for him as a Grimsby player or something along those lines. Also saw a comment saying that Ohman and Green turned up late and would have started otherwise. Makes me think, will both of their contracts be getting terminated in the summer?

Maybe hearing some of the boo's that "welcomed" his introduction to the game lessened his enthusiasm.
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, February 26, 2020, 6:56pm; Reply: 61
Quoted from moosey_club

Maybe hearing some of the boo's that "welcomed" his introduction to the game lessened his enthusiasm.

Agree I am far from being a fan of Green but FFS booing one of your own players when he comes on the field is about as low as it gets.
Posted by: The_Laughing_Mariner, February 26, 2020, 6:57pm; Reply: 62
I said to my mate when we got the corner at the end I couldn't remember another
Posted by: Meza, February 26, 2020, 7:01pm; Reply: 63
Quoted from mariner91

Amazing how many of our fans bought in to Peacock’s chest thumping though. Don’t think I ever saw him go for anything that wasn’t at least 70/30 in his favour, stealing a wage.

not half as much as Martin Butler.
Posted by: Limerick Mariner, February 26, 2020, 8:27pm; Reply: 64
Quoted from grimsby pete

It is disappointing. I was expecting low 4k. We must have one of the biggest % differences between average midweek attendances and Saturdays, even disregarding lower away support - 20%+? This didn't used to be the case in the 70's early 80's. I assume it's because the exiles don't travel, maybe even many of those who are only 20 miles away don't bother for midweek games.
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, February 26, 2020, 8:38pm; Reply: 65
Quoted from Limerick Mariner

It is disappointing. I was expecting low 4k. We must have one of the biggest % differences between average midweek attendances and Saturdays, even disregarding lower away support - 20%+? This didn't used to be the case in the 70's early 80's. I assume it's because the exiles don't travel, maybe even those many who are only 20 miles away don't bother for midweek games.

IFOLLOW for a tenner, staying at home, keeping warm having a beer....that'll probably cost you circa 500 butts on seats... personally I get my backside to BP, love midweek games under the floodlights...
Posted by: oochiad, February 26, 2020, 8:39pm; Reply: 66
I’m an exile and still travelled, I think it was the fact you can pay a tenner to watch and also the fact it was fecking freezing!
Posted by: KingstonMariner, February 26, 2020, 8:44pm; Reply: 67

It is disappointing. I was expecting low 4k. We must have one of the biggest % differences between average midweek attendances and Saturdays, even disregarding lower away support - 20%+? This didn't used to be the case in the 70's early 80's. I assume it's because the exiles don't travel, maybe even those many who are only 20 miles away don't bother for midweek games.

It must make a difference Limmo. Two hours after work is probably a sort of limit. I know the other week I dipped out if going to Colchester because it was just too far (and I couldn’t persuade my idle mate to drive).
Posted by: TheultimateMariner, February 26, 2020, 8:58pm; Reply: 68
Quoted from moosey_club

Not sure which stand you were in, but in the pontoon everyone seemed to clap him and a few we’re singing the infamous ‘Greeny’ chant. Didn’t hear anyone booing in the pontoon, and if anyone did, it’s totally unjustified.

Posted by: Limerick Mariner, February 26, 2020, 9:32pm; Reply: 69

It must make a difference Limmo. Two hours after work is probably a sort of limit. I know the other week I dipped out if going to Colchester because it was just too far (and I couldn’t persuade my idle mate to drive).

Of course our top 4 home attendances in the last 50 years were night games, all over 20k...

Posted by: KingstonMariner, February 26, 2020, 9:47pm; Reply: 70

Of course our top 4 home attendances in the last 50 years were night games, all over 20k...

Cup games and over 40 years ago.
Posted by: Limerick Mariner, February 26, 2020, 10:30pm; Reply: 71

Cup games and over 40 years ago.

Three cup games and Exeter. We didn't have any 20k crowds in the 60s. 22,408 v Norwich in 1971 in the League Cup was the biggest since Aug 58 21,004 v Middlesborough - on a Saturday. 22,261 had been at Blundell Park the previous Tuesday v Lincoln

Posted by: diehardmariner, February 27, 2020, 12:38pm; Reply: 72
I always find the 7:45 kick off is a rush personally.  Getting home from work, sorting bits out, having tea and then rushing to the game.  For an evening game it's not unusual that I'll get in the ground just after kick-off, thankfully that wasn't the case on Tuesday!

Did get me thinking though, are people put off by the rushing about.  Would making it an 8pm kick-off be of any benefit to give people that extra bit of time to get to the game or would it actually hinder gates?

Again, completely from a personal view, I'd favour the extra 15 minutes and I wonder how many people don't get to evening games because it is too much of a rush.  
Posted by: toontown, February 27, 2020, 12:45pm; Reply: 73
Quoted from diehardmariner
I always find the 7:45 kick off is a rush personally.  Getting home from work, sorting bits out, having tea and then rushing to the game.  For an evening game it's not unusual that I'll get in the ground just after kick-off, thankfully that wasn't the case on Tuesday!

Did get me thinking though, are people put off by the rushing about.  Would making it an 8pm kick-off be of any benefit to give people that extra bit of time to get to the game or would it actually hinder gates?

Again, completely from a personal view, I'd favour the extra 15 minutes and I wonder how many people don't get to evening games because it is too much of a rush.  

Agreed the extra 15 mins would help home fans i think and v few away fans midweek anyway. It would suit me better anyway
Posted by: forza ivano, February 27, 2020, 12:50pm; Reply: 74
btw just seen the wright goal. surely it took a deflection didn't it? otherwise he's got a foot like a banana to get it to loop up and down like that!
Posted by: TheultimateMariner, February 27, 2020, 1:09pm; Reply: 75
Quoted from forza ivano
btw just seen the wright goal. surely it took a deflection didn't it? otherwise he's got a foot like a banana to get it to loop up and down like that!

Looked like it took a heavy deflection from the pontoon
Posted by: Les Brechin, February 27, 2020, 1:15pm; Reply: 76
Quoted from forza ivano

Yeah, it took a big deflection. Would have just gone straight to the keeper if it hadn't I reckon.
Posted by: moosey_club, February 27, 2020, 1:24pm; Reply: 77

Not sure which stand you were in, but in the pontoon everyone seemed to clap him and a few we’re singing the infamous ‘Greeny’ chant. Didn’t hear anyone booing in the pontoon, and if anyone did, it’s totally unjustified.

In the upper.....wasn't loud but definately a grumbled boo heard in the stand not just a tiny pocket.
Posted by: The_Laughing_Mariner, February 27, 2020, 5:13pm; Reply: 78
15 mins extra is a long time for those who have to be ay work early next morning
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, February 27, 2020, 6:01pm; Reply: 79
15 mins extra is a long time for those who have to be ay work early next morning

And kids, my lad gets home at gone eleven o’clock for night game and personally I preferred the old 7.30pm kick off but appreciate for many that’s too early.

Re crowds and differences in Saturday’s and Tuesday and how this has changed over the years we were talking about this on the way to the game on Tuesday. One thought we had was thirty years ago there were thriving local football leagues throughout the County so loads of lads who couldn’t get on Saturday could on a Tuesday. Nowadays there is very little local football so there is no positive difference between the two days.

Plus we now have a generation brought up on day to day, wall to ceiling football on the box whereas our youth enjoyed the Cup Final, European Finals and England v Scotland hence winning the FA Cup carried such great prestige as like the Grand National it was a national treasure. Now I don’t even watch the cup final because by May sick of tv matches
Posted by: Croxton, February 27, 2020, 7:01pm; Reply: 80
Quoted from oochiad
I’m an exile and still travelled, I think it was the fact you can pay a tenner to watch and also the fact it was fecking freezing!

I travelled from Sheffield as usual and would assert that Ifollow has an impact on locals too. I think that the disappointing crowd was in part due to the fact that locals are a decreasing proportion of STH's. If you are an exile STH you tend to value the savings on ticket prices as a plus against travel costs. On top of that, I factor in the convenience of being able to get away tickets and cup tickets more easily.
Once you have a ST you tend to make the effort  because relatives are used to you calling in or you may be the driver for other fans. Locals can be more choosy I suppose. Are proper fans really put off by a chilly night? Ticket prices for matches like Tuesday would have a greater impact than temperature if I had to pay for other family members.
Posted by: Gaffer58, February 27, 2020, 7:04pm; Reply: 81
If Tuesday’s game had been say this Saturday instead then I would be quite certain that there would have been 4500 there, including extra from Newport, so evening games do cost the club loss revenue. I alway s wonder why our league games don’t start at least a couple of weeks earlier in the summer to get 2 more Saturday games in and when did we last play a game on August bank holiday,instead of a league cup game on the Tuesday evening.
      Also, did anyone notice that when that storm came through a couple of weekends back Glasgow Rangers game was cancelled on the Saturday, but they them played it 24 hours later on the Sunday, this for a crowd that would have been 50 thousand, yet in our country it takes at least 10 days to rearrange including FA Cup replays, and that’s for a crowd of about 4000.
Posted by: The_Laughing_Mariner, February 27, 2020, 11:06pm; Reply: 82
The season is starting 1st  August next season
Posted by: Limerick Mariner, February 28, 2020, 7:08pm; Reply: 83
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

And kids, my lad gets home at gone eleven o’clock for night game and personally I preferred the old 7.30pm kick off but appreciate for many that’s too early.

Re crowds and differences in Saturday’s and Tuesday and how this has changed over the years we were talking about this on the way to the game on Tuesday. One thought we had was thirty years ago there were thriving local football leagues throughout the County so loads of lads who couldn’t get on Saturday could on a Tuesday. Nowadays there is very little local football so there is no positive difference between the two days.

Plus we now have a generation brought up on day to day, wall to ceiling football on the box whereas our youth enjoyed the Cup Final, European Finals and England v Scotland hence winning the FA Cup carried such great prestige as like the Grand National it was a national treasure. Now I don’t even watch the cup final because by May sick of tv matches

Hadn't considered that - could be an important factor.

One I had considered was dockers may have been working on a Saturday but not on a Tuesday night. The other group is farmers and farm workers - they have to work during daylight if there is work to do and maybe would always attend on a Tuesday night. Fewer farm workers these days and maybe we've lost support in that group as well. Getting more STH will be the main way of boosting midweek crowds; even if the STH can't attend they'll likely pass the ticket on. A new stadium will change the midweek winter experience - it won't be the same; we'll all miss freezing hands trying to get your member out to have a urine in black hole, but at least the feet get warmed when the urine overflows onto your shoes...

Posted by: Rik e B, February 28, 2020, 10:23pm; Reply: 84
Not with the open corners plan.
Print page generated: March 28, 2024, 9:07am