Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Madeleymariner, February 22, 2020, 2:29pm
Just watched Chelsea-Spurs. Bit of a stamp by LoCelso looked at by VAR for a couple of minutes decision no red card. 45 mins later they anounce they made a mistake and it should have been a red  You couldn't make it up if you tried. TIME TO DUMP IT,  its such a waste of time.(stupids)
Posted by: mimma, February 22, 2020, 2:34pm; Reply: 1
Wasn't it suppose to stop mistakes like this? You couldn't make it up. Who's in charge of VAR, the Monty python team?
Posted by: Theimperialcoroner, February 22, 2020, 2:54pm; Reply: 2
Bloody awful challenge and a clear red. #VARiswank
Posted by: promotion plaice, February 22, 2020, 3:07pm; Reply: 3

I'd stick with VAR myself, if we don't the cheating will get out of hand and the game will be dead.

I saw the incident and it wasn't VAR that was at fault it was later described as human error.
Posted by: Abdul19, February 22, 2020, 3:09pm; Reply: 4
Yes, the human who'd spent 2 minutes watching it 43 times!
Posted by: aldi_01, February 22, 2020, 3:11pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from promotion plaice

I'd stick with VAR myself, if we don't the cheating will get out of hand and the game will be dead.

I saw the incident and it wasn't VAR that was at fault it was later described as human error.

Therefore rendering it pointless becauee it’s still human error.

Just throw it in the bin and leave well alone. They’re clueless at using it...some weeks they’re reviewing everything, then they’re getting obvious decisions wrong.

I’m assuming he will be retrospectively punished, much like Maguire...oh, wait...
Posted by: Gaffer58, February 22, 2020, 4:31pm; Reply: 6
Did the ref go and look at his monitor, I would suspect he didn’t as they seem to have an aversion to look at it, I think the refs are using VAR as an excuse for their own uselessness by saying it was VAR that made the decision so don’t blame me.
Posted by: moosey_club, February 22, 2020, 4:41pm; Reply: 7
Its only the Premier League so for my money ....its funny as fck.

Posted by: aldi_01, February 22, 2020, 5:07pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from Gaffer58
Did the ref go and look at his monitor, I would suspect he didn’t as they seem to have an aversion to look at it, I think the refs are using VAR as an excuse for their own uselessness by saying it was VAR that made the decision so don’t blame me.

Wouldn’t you do the same, they get enough stick and VAR had undermined so many decisions this season already...I’d try on the fornicator too, and then shift the blame when players moaned at me.

The monitors is an English thing, and once again, instead of having an outward facing view and seeing that the monitors in particular have been used to good effect abroad, they’re never used here and Mike Riley the pin headed girl private has discouraged them most of the season...

Could it be to do with how close stands are to the pitch? Who knows but on the continent the monitors have been used to good effect...here they’re ignored, that has to be a directive to the referees.

Posted by: Abdul19, February 22, 2020, 5:13pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from aldi_01

Could it be to do with how close stands are to the pitch?

They'd be used every time at West Ham  ;)
Posted by: Gaffer58, February 22, 2020, 5:25pm; Reply: 10
Although during the World Cup in Russia a couple of years back I thought the system worked well as the ref nearly always looked at the monitor and made the final decorum what he saw, alit was noticeable that not one premiership ref was deemed either good enough or fit enough to go to that world cup and then they have them using VAR, the referees are amateurs in a professional world.
Posted by: aldi_01, February 22, 2020, 5:44pm; Reply: 11
Or is it coincidence that actually, since making them professional the scrutiny has increased and apparently performances have decareased?

Perhaps people expect more...much like folk booing at the first game of the season...
Posted by: Stadium, February 22, 2020, 6:43pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from moosey_club
Its only the Premier League so for my money ....its funny as fck.

Exactly.
But wait wasn't there complaining around the Palace cup game?
Posted by: Stadium, February 22, 2020, 6:46pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from mimma
Wasn't it suppose to stop mistakes like this? You couldn't make it up. Who's in charge of VAR, the Monty python team?

Yes but there's always human error.
Why is this so difficult to understand?
Goal line technology works,offside is clear cut according to the regulations.
Human error can occur in all other decisions.

Posted by: moosey_club, February 22, 2020, 7:58pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from Stadium

Exactly.
But wait wasn't there complaining around the Palace cup game?

The major error of the FA was to allow VAR in some FA Cup games, it has to be used in all or in none at all. With Fox, the fans had no idea what was going on with the decision being made by VAR, that caused confusion / anger at the time.
In reality it was a bit of a taster/ leveller challenge by Fox on Townsend to let him know he was going to be in a game, unfortunately the camera's  picked it up and highlighted it as intentional and not going for the ball. Probably the right technical decision without any emotional, occasion , timing being taken into account.

Posted by: Stadium, February 22, 2020, 8:07pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from moosey_club

The major error of the FA was to allow VAR in some FA Cup games, it has to be used in all or in none at all. With Fox, the fans had no idea what was going on with the decision being made by VAR, that caused confusion / anger at the time.
In reality it was a bit of a taster/ leveller challenge by Fox on Townsend to let him know he was going to be in a game, unfortunately the camera's  picked it up and highlighted it as intentional and not going for the ball. Probably the right technical decision without any emotional, occasion , timing being taken into account.

Oh dear,what an unfortunate explanation.
So you propose its ok for early "leveller" challenges to be permitted?

Posted by: Abdul19, February 22, 2020, 9:14pm; Reply: 16
Seems fine for Stevenage players!  :o
Posted by: Knut Anders Fosters Voles, February 23, 2020, 12:19am; Reply: 17
Being a referee is so difficult. The vast majority of referees at all levels, from the Champions League down to the lower reaches of the Glandfondle Park traps, make the correct decision most of the time.

VAR is not perfect. But if it prevents Hurst 66, Lampard 06, Puddy 15 then it’s got to be a step forward, but admittedly a three-legged Conlon-Newell step, fumbling in the pocket on the front step for Tony Gallimore’s house keys.
Posted by: Les Brechin, February 23, 2020, 8:21am; Reply: 18
Quoted from promotion plaice

Eh? Doesn't VAR stand for "Video Assistant Referee"? Isn't the Video Assistant Referee a human then?
Posted by: moosey_club, February 23, 2020, 4:00pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from Stadium

Oh dear,what an unfortunate explanation.
So you propose its ok for early "leveller" challenges to be permitted?

No, but they have been part of the game for all of my lifetime, both playing and watching , as they will have been for just about anybody playing professionally at this moment , so they will still be part of many players "natural" game.
Fox more than likely completely forgot in the occassion or was unaware of the VAR being in use and therefore got caught out and rightly punished. It will take 4/5 seasons at least to get players into the mindset that they are being watched and any infringement, anywhere, anytime may get pulled up.
The game will eventually evolve as a result of VAR, once the powers that be have figured out how to use it consistently, in the meantime i just find it amusing that depending upon the way each decision goes you either hate it or love it in that moment.
Posted by: golfer, February 23, 2020, 4:26pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from Abdul19
Yes, the human who'd spent 2 minutes watching it 43 times!

What we want is a computer to decide on VAR and a human computer operator to operate the computer and then a recognised FA referee to scrutinise the computer operators decision. We could have a panel of ex pro. footballers to decide if the referees decision was the correct one while the players  have a nice cup of tea.
Posted by: moosey_club, February 23, 2020, 4:43pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from golfer

What we want is a computer to decide on VAR and a human computer operator to operate the computer and then a recognised FA referee to scrutinise the computer operators decision. We could have a panel of ex pro. footballers to decide if the referees decision was the correct one while the players  have a nice cup of tea.

Well i am convinced.
Posted by: Gaffer58, February 23, 2020, 4:56pm; Reply: 22
Would that have got the Bristol Rovers keeper sent of at Wembley?
Posted by: mimma, February 23, 2020, 5:59pm; Reply: 23
I've got a couple of question about VAR.

It is now used around the world, so, do other leagues implement it the same way as us, and do they have the same issues that we do?

Has the FA looked at how it works abroad and tried to lean from them or, as I suspect, have they buried their heads in the sand, with a think they know best attitude?
Posted by: golfer, February 23, 2020, 8:53pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from Gaffer58
Would that have got the Bristol Rovers keeper sent of at Wembley?

Yes - on the following Thursday
Posted by: RonMariner, February 23, 2020, 8:58pm; Reply: 25

VAR is not perfect. But if it prevents Hurst 66, Lampard 06, Puddy 15 then it’s got to be a step forward.

What was wrong with Hurst 66?

Modern ball tracking technology proves that the ball did indeed cross the line.
Posted by: golfer, February 23, 2020, 9:13pm; Reply: 26
Will Var tell me what has happened to Jordan Cook - is he injured,on loan or just disappeared off radar
Posted by: Stadium, February 23, 2020, 10:12pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from mimma

It is now used around the world, so, do other leagues implement it the same way as us, and do they have the same issues that we do?

Has the FA looked at how it works abroad and tried to lean from them or, as I suspect, have they buried their heads in the sand, with a think they know best attitude?

https://www.uefa.com/insideuefa/protecting-the-game/refereeing/news/newsid=2616824.html

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50944416
Posted by: mimma, February 23, 2020, 10:43pm; Reply: 28
Thanks for this Stadium.It looks like they are at least looking at it to make it "less forensic"
Posted by: diehardmariner, February 24, 2020, 9:02am; Reply: 29
VAR, for me, is attempting to take away a major talking point about football and one that makes it so good - the human factor element.

It's a simple game that we're over complicating to the ninth degree.  

Accept that referee's make mistakes, accept that they can't see everything, accept that sometimes things go against you and it's a illegitimate.  But that's football.   If we make it a game of robots then what's the point?  I know people point out that it's worked in cricket and it's worked in this and that, but they're different games.

I'm all for the use of technology, especially when it comes to retrospectively banning cheats but VAR just isn't working.  Football is a form of entertaining, it's diminishing it.
Posted by: RichMariner, February 24, 2020, 1:06pm; Reply: 30
While VAR technology continues to be used and viewed by humans, human errors will still happen.

I think VAR was designed to rid the game of ridiculously obvious mistakes. We're now trying to implement it for everything.

Goal line tech is the only tech I'd use, if it were up to me. It's a black and white issue. No room for interpretation.

VAR only provides tech to aid interpretation. At the end of the day, a human is still making a judgment call, and each human differs one to the next. So we'll never get the consistency that we crave.

I don't see how we'll ever get VAR to work in a way that suits all of us. I was watching MOTD on Saturday night and after that Burnley/Bournemouth thing I just felt angry.

No affiliation to either team, but what I saw was our beautiful game being stripped of emotion. When can we celebrate a goal? Who knows what's going on?

We're trying to make the correct call 100% of the time but it's turning the game into a farce. I for one hope Grimsby never plays at a level where VAR runs the game.
Posted by: GYinScuntland, February 24, 2020, 2:15pm; Reply: 31
Quoted from golfer

At least it would save hanging about for forty five seconds on every decision.
Posted by: Les Brechin, February 24, 2020, 2:19pm; Reply: 32
Quoted from RichMariner

We're trying to make the correct call 100% of the time but it's turning the game into a farce. I for one hope Grimsby never plays at a level where VAR ruins the game.

Amended for you Rich.  ;)
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, February 24, 2020, 2:26pm; Reply: 33
Quoted from RichMariner
While VAR technology continues to be used and viewed by humans, human errors will still happen.

I think VAR was designed to rid the game of ridiculously obvious mistakes. We're now trying to implement it for everything.

Goal line tech is the only tech I'd use, if it were up to me. It's a black and white issue. No room for interpretation.

VAR only provides tech to aid interpretation. At the end of the day, a human is still making a judgment call, and each human differs one to the next. So we'll never get the consistency that we crave.

I don't see how we'll ever get VAR to work in a way that suits all of us. I was watching MOTD on Saturday night and after that Burnley/Bournemouth thing I just felt angry.

No affiliation to either team, but what I saw was our beautiful game being stripped of emotion. When can we celebrate a goal? Who knows what's going on?

We're trying to make the correct call 100% of the time but it's turning the game into a farce. I for one hope Grimsby never plays at a level where VAR runs the game.

It is impossible to get all decisions correct unless at some future date robots run the game.

VAR focuses on important decisions but every single decision from the kick off changes the way a game pans out. My point is that unless you get every single decision right 100% of the time then what is the point?

For example - the ref wrongly gives a free kick which results in a goal but the goal is allowed to stand by VAR. How far back in play do we go to get a "correct " decision?

The ref should give 2 yellows to a player but doesn't and that player goes on to score a winning goal. Unless VAR intervenes in everything then that is another incorrect decision which influences the result. Just where would it have end to give a "fair" result?

Even then every VAR decision is contentious.  What one video assistant sees is different to a colleague,  so we are back where we started apart from we have taken the fun out of the game, irritated fans players and officials.

The best thing to do would go back to referees decisions who sometimes make mistakes like players and managers.
Posted by: mimma, February 24, 2020, 2:29pm; Reply: 34
The only difference it makes now, is that some faceless tw@t down sarf makes the mistakes not the ref. or linesperson We can't yell at them and chant our displeasure at them like we can the ref on the pitch. Ruins the atmosphere.
Posted by: St. Pauli, February 24, 2020, 3:26pm; Reply: 35
Quoted from RonMariner

What was wrong with Hurst 66?

Modern ball tracking technology proves that the ball did indeed cross the line.

Oh that's funny because here in Germany modern ball tracking technology proves that the ball did indeed never cross the line ...
Posted by: grimsby pete, February 24, 2020, 3:35pm; Reply: 36
Quoted from St. Pauli

Oh that's funny because here in Germany modern ball tracking technology proves that the ball did indeed never cross the line ...

Well they would say that wouldn't they.  ;)
Posted by: pen penfras, February 24, 2020, 3:39pm; Reply: 37
Quoted from St. Pauli

I've only ever seen analysis that said it didn't cross the line.
Posted by: grimsby pete, February 24, 2020, 3:44pm; Reply: 38
What about the Burnley v Bournemouth game on Saturday ?

Burnley winning 1-0 and on the attack the ball is cleared and Bournemouth score to make it 1-1,

Oh no they don't,

VAR decides a Bournemouth player handled the ball as it was cleared in their penalty box,

So goal disallowed play goes back to other end of the pitch for a penalty for Burnley,

Goal !!!!!!

So 2-0 to Burnley not 1-1,

Now if that happened to Town how would you feel ?
Posted by: pen penfras, February 24, 2020, 4:15pm; Reply: 39
Quoted from grimsby pete

Burnley winning 1-0 and on the attack the ball is cleared and Bournemouth score to make it 1-1,

Oh no they don't,

VAR decides a Bournemouth player handled the ball as it was cleared in their penalty box,

So goal disallowed play goes back to other end of the pitch for a penalty for Burnley,

Goal !!!!!!

If it's in Town's favour, then VAR is the dog's danglies. If against Town then bin it off. The same as every other team's supporters in the country.

If it got the correct decision, then great. It's irrelevant what happened after the handball if it should have been a penalty.

Bring on more correct decisions, evolve the system and make it better. VAR hasn't been the main problem, it's the implementation that has been. Offside by mm is not objective, because the image and interpretation of where things are is not clear enough, but that's not VAR's fault, it's the fact that it's being used for every decision rather than overturning a clear and obvious error. The system needs work, and it will get better. The problem is that they won't change the rules part way through a season, so you have to wait a year to improve on problems that were clear after a couple of weeks.
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, February 24, 2020, 6:58pm; Reply: 40
VAR has become the talking point, over and above other topics.

It is similar to that old car insurance claim report:

“In the dark I drove into the wrong driveway and collided with a tree that I don’t have”.  😆😆
Posted by: Meza, February 24, 2020, 7:09pm; Reply: 41
Quoted from grimsby pete

Oh no they don't,

Goal !!!!!!

For me the ball hits it arm and although there is movement towards the ball I think he is trying to get his arm out the way (his arm doesn't actually move it by his side).  However im probably looking at it as a football player, and someone else will have a different opinion.  For me i'd like the rules to be changed to something like below, I think VAR can be a good thing I just think they don't have the software capable and they are checking everything which they weren't initially meant to be doing.

Offside - at the moment its still taking them abit too long to come to a decision (probably because of lack of software), and I hate this "big toe" being offside lark, lets introduce a threshold line in VAR for something like a foot wide and if the line of the attacker is beyond the line he is offside (this is to help when the attacker is leaning to make a run) or we stick to how it is or just let the lino do it.

Pitch side monitor - For me i'd move this to the opposite side of the dugout, I just think the refs are afraid of going over to the monitor incase the managers go on one.  Maybe if moved to the other side they might use it.
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, February 25, 2020, 1:38pm; Reply: 42
Quoted from grimsby pete

Oh no they don't,

Goal !!!!!!

Probably as low as I felt when we got that late equaliser in the cup at Wimbledon which would have made it 2-2 and given us a replay at BP

Instead they got a free kick, came straight down the field as we were celebrating our "goal" and scored their third

Not that I'm still holding a grudge of course, about us missing out on being in the 6th round draw for the first time ever in my lifetime  ;)
Posted by: malkamalka, February 25, 2020, 4:51pm; Reply: 43
Quoted from mimma

I think we know the answer to that.

Do we really expect Mike "$hite" Dean or Michael "Surly" Oliver to admit they might need to look at a screen to make their decisions? As for David "Human Error" Coote, he must have done something right - he got added to the FIFA International list yesterday.

Our referees. lets face it are awful. Who else thought that John Moss's positional was woeful last night - continually getting between the West Ham players and the ball. If I was a skeptic, I'd almost think he was doing it on purpose. Did he afffect the outcome of the game? That depends on how you view the fact that he "shielded" the Liverpool players during the build up to their 2nd goal.

Until fans (the ones who pay their salaries) start to put pressure on the FA to question PGMOL and their need to consider a duty of care to the paying punters, nothing will change.

It's starting to look very similar to Italy 2011 and we all know what that led to.

Posted by: Meza, February 25, 2020, 6:00pm; Reply: 44
Quoted from malkamalka

I think we know the answer to that.

Do we really expect Mike "$hite" Dean or Michael "Surly" Oliver to admit they might need to look at a screen to make their decisions? As for David "Human Error" Coote, he must have done something right - he got added to the FIFA International list yesterday.

Our referees. lets face it are awful. Who else thought that John Moss's positional was woeful last night - continually getting between the West Ham players and the ball. If I was a skeptic, I'd almost think he was doing it on purpose. Did he afffect the outcome of the game? That depends on how you view the fact that he "shielded" the Liverpool players during the build up to their 2nd goal.

Until fans (the ones who pay their salaries) start to put pressure on the FA to question PGMOL and their need to consider a duty of care to the paying punters, nothing will change.

It's starting to look very similar to Italy 2011 and we all know what that led to.

I cant remember, was it something like playing behind closed doors?
Posted by: Abdul19, February 25, 2020, 7:59pm; Reply: 45
Was it something to do with Amanda Knox?
Posted by: Posh Harry, February 25, 2020, 10:24pm; Reply: 46
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

Probably as low as I felt when we got that late equaliser in the cup at Wimbledon which would have made it 2-2 and given us a replay at BP

Instead they got a free kick, came straight down the field as we were celebrating our "goal" and scored their third

Not that I'm still holding a grudge of course, about us missing out on being in the 6th round draw for the first time ever in my lifetime  ;)

Have you been given permission to hold a grudge from swin? He seems to be the grudge police. If I were you I would be expecting retribution at any moment.
Posted by: Rick12, February 26, 2020, 7:48am; Reply: 47
Quoted from Madeleymariner
Just watched Chelsea-Spurs. Bit of a stamp by LoCelso looked at by VAR for a couple of minutes decision no red card. 45 mins later they anounce they made a mistake and it should have been a red  You couldn't make it up if you tried. TIME TO DUMP IT,  its such a waste of time.(stupids)
I still feel in the long run VAR will prove to be a good thing.Its not VAR thats causing the problem but human interpretation.

Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, February 26, 2020, 8:01am; Reply: 48
Quoted from Rick12
I still feel in the long run VAR will prove to be a good thing.Its not VAR thats causing the problem but human interpretation.

What is the answer to "human interpretation error"?

That is exactly what VAR was supposedly brought in for but unless you have a completely computerised system you are swopping one human interpretation for another, so what is the point?

Just stick with goal line technology and the on pitch officials.

Posted by: Rick12, February 26, 2020, 8:08am; Reply: 49

What is the answer to "human interpretation error"?

That is exactly what VAR was supposedly brought in for but unless you have a completely computerised system you are swopping one human interpretation for another, so what is the point?

Just stick with goal line technology and the on pitch officials.

VAR is supposed to get it exactly right using a second eye which can be reviewed.The game is littered with razor decisions that officials got wrong and denied football clubs and national teams potential glory.Hence England in 2010 when Frank Lampards goal should of stood against Germany or Diego Maradonas hand ball against England in 1986 .

Hence its about improving the game for better eg results.Look at it from a similar angle. Why are athletes getting bigger, stronger faster.All about improving the fine margins which allows records to be broken which sports science provides.

Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, February 26, 2020, 9:13am; Reply: 50
Quoted from Rick12
VAR is supposed to get it exactly right using a second eye which can be reviewed.The game is littered with razor decisions that officials got wrong and denied football clubs and national teams potential glory.Hence England in 2010 when Frank Lampards goal should of stood against Germany or Diego Maradonas hand ball against England in 1986 .

Hence its about improving the game for better eg results.Look at it from a similar angle. Why are athletes getting bigger, stronger faster.All about improving the fine margins which allows records to be broken which sports science provides.

Referees probably make lots of mistakes during games all of which directly or indirectly affect the result. You cannot have a perfect system without taking all the human element out of it, and where is the fun in that?

Referees are an important part of the game and they make mistakes just like players and managers. We don't want to end up with a sterilized game with a remote ref who may or may not make the correct decision.

Like a lot of "improvements " the law of unintended consequences wasn't thought through, and the authorities are trying themselves in knots and ruining the game as a spectacle in the top flight.
Posted by: Rick12, February 26, 2020, 9:43am; Reply: 51

Referees probably make lots of mistakes during games all of which directly or indirectly affect the result. You cannot have a perfect system without taking all the human element out of it, and where is the fun in that?

Referees are an important part of the game and they make mistakes just like players and managers. We don't want to end up with a sterilized game with a remote ref who may or may not make the correct decision.

Like a lot of "improvements " the law of unintended consequences wasn't thought through, and the authorities are trying themselves in knots and ruining the game as a spectacle in the top flight.
Interesting points.Perhaps a system could be devised like tennis where players only have so many opportunities to use VAR above and beyond when the referee wants to use it for important decisions like goal incidents/red cards which can ultimately change the game.
Posted by: Les Brechin, February 26, 2020, 10:07am; Reply: 52
Maybe we should have VAR to monitor VAR?

VAR to check the decisions and then another VAR to double check that the first VAR hasn't made a "human error"  ;)
Posted by: Rick12, February 26, 2020, 10:13am; Reply: 53
Quoted from Les Brechin
Maybe we should have VAR to monitor VAR?

VAR to check the decisions and then another VAR to double check that the first VAR hasn't made a "human error"  ;)
Your never going to get perfection in nothing though.Only thing you can do is try  ;)

Posted by: Stadium, September 28, 2020, 9:30pm; Reply: 54
https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/english-soccer/ken-early-handball-crisis-a-timely-distraction-from-the-grim-bigger-picture-1.4366002?mode=amp
Posted by: Theimperialcoroner, September 28, 2020, 9:44pm; Reply: 55
Var is male masturbation
Posted by: Grantham_Mariner, September 29, 2020, 8:01am; Reply: 56
Pick any two supporters at random, stick them behind the screen and we would get the sensible decision!
Posted by: ska face, September 29, 2020, 8:36am; Reply: 57
The problem is that most of the debate has been lead by dull pundits in TV studios with hours to fill but little tactical insight to offer, so going over incorrect decisions and pointing out the controversies is a good way of keeping viewers.

Then you’ve got managers who fear their job is on the line and can be sacked following an incorrect decision. Sean Dyche is one of the worst for this. It’s purely self interest on their part but they make out the sport needed VAR for the good of the game.

Like anything, the argument was reduced down to “there’s so much money involved in the game now”, without anyone actually questioning what that meant at Prem level. Absolutely nothing, in reality. Common sense and rationality disappeared because they couldn’t stand the thought of losing money based on an incorrect decision somewhere.

It was said time & time again that once you started you wouldn’t be able to stop. Offside is offside even at 0.001mm. What’s “clear & obvious” when that’s entirely subjective? The pundits want the rules rewritten, but won’t tell you how it should be worded, because deep down everyone knows VAR is a massive mistake. It isn’t the rules, it isn’t the technology, it isn’t the procedure and cutting wait times, it’s the principle. The adult babies couldn’t comprehend being put out slightly, so they’ve ruined the game. And they were told it would happen.
Posted by: Yoda, September 29, 2020, 10:18am; Reply: 58
VAR is a joke scrap it.
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, September 29, 2020, 3:42pm; Reply: 59
As the previous post says the authorities have ruined the game, and for what?

We still get contenious decisions, we still have managers complaining and we are still no nearer in finding a way to ensure every decision is correct -  because there isn't one.

Even if you could get every decision right just before a goal or non goal, managers will now say but what about the "foul" on the halfway line that wasnt given? Ifs buts and maybes happen all the time, but that is what makes the game such a wonderful spectacle.

Once you start getting VAR involved in everything you are on a slippery slope to nowhere; referees see the game in real time and to keep playing ultra slow motion replays of whether a ball brushed the arm of a defender who didnt do it on purpose is bordering on the insane.

I don't know why the managers, players and clubs just don't say "sorry, we are not putting up with this farce any longer" and refuse to play. The power ultimately resides in the clubs, or if they wont take action then fans need to stop going to games when allowed or perhaps more importantly from a financial aspect cancel their Sky sports packages.

I get the impression that football knows it has made a big mistake, but daren't admit it. For the good of the game do something about it.
Posted by: tashee69, September 29, 2020, 3:43pm; Reply: 60
In my opinion VAR is not the problem. The referees are the problem. All VAR does is give the referee another chance to get to the correct decision. If the referee makes another wrong decision then surely the referee is at fault.
Posted by: Stadium, September 29, 2020, 5:07pm; Reply: 61
As the previous post says the authorities have ruined the game, and for what?

We still get contenious decisions, we still have managers complaining and we are still no nearer in finding a way to ensure every decision is correct -  because there isn't one.

Even if you could get every decision right just before a goal or non goal, managers will now say but what about the "foul" on the halfway line that wasnt given? Ifs buts and maybes happen all the time, but that is what makes the game such a wonderful spectacle.

Once you start getting VAR involved in everything you are on a slippery slope to nowhere; referees see the game in real time and to keep playing ultra slow motion replays of whether a ball brushed the arm of a defender who didnt do it on purpose is bordering on the insane.

I don't know why the managers, players and clubs just don't say "sorry, we are not putting up with this farce any longer" and refuse to play. The power ultimately resides in the clubs, or if they wont take action then fans need to stop going to games when allowed or perhaps more importantly from a financial aspect cancel their Sky sports packages.

I get the impression that football knows it has made a big mistake, but daren't admit it. For the good of the game do something about it.

The clubs did not oppose it at all & fully endorsed the updated rules for this season:

Premier League clubs have approved the use of Video Assistant Referees next season in line with FIFA protocols.

During the Premier League's Annual General Meeting on Thursday, Shareholders agreed to rules relating to VAR and substitute players ahead of the new season 2020/21. There will be increased use of the Referee Review Area(pitchside monitors) which will be used for subjective decisions on goals, red cards, and penalty kicks.

"At the Premier League’s Annual General Meeting today, Shareholders agreed to rules relating to VAR and substitute players for the 2020/21 season," a statement from the Premier League read.

"Shareholders unanimously approved the implementation of VAR, in line with the full FIFA VAR protocol. Clubs also agreed to revert back to using up to three substitute players per match, with a maximum of seven substitutes on the bench."

Refusing to play?
We already know that fans are irrelevant in any decisions-managers will complain but that'll be about it.

Posted by: wigworld, September 29, 2020, 11:20pm; Reply: 62
Quoted from golfer

We could have a panel of ex pro. footballers to decide if the referees decision was the correct one while the players  have a nice cup of tea.

We could call it 'Match of the Day'. Put it on telly on a Saturday night. Loads of people would watch that.

Print page generated: April 20, 2024, 1:04pm