Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: rancido, February 16, 2020, 12:33pm
I was given part of this edition of the G.E.T and the front and back page headlines made interesting reading. " New Faces On Board " was the front headline. Grimsby Town FC had announced " some big hitters from the business world in a major boardroom expansion ". Colin Graves, boss of the Costcutter supermarket empire , had joined the board. We had also recruited Richard Jackson ( ( chief of the expanding Nidd Vale Motors group ) , Richard Lake ( joint boss of Eastern Airways ) and Jim Arnell ( Nisa commercial director ). Bryan Huxford , vice-chairman, said the additional directors would be making a " substantial investment in the club ".
The back page headline read " We'll Take Town To The Premiership ". This was a quote by supermarket magnate Colin Graves.
How things have changed in 20 years and where are these saviours of Grimsby Town FC now?
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, February 16, 2020, 1:15pm; Reply: 1
The disagreements between the Ramsdens/Nisa and between other board members about the ground had a lot to do with it I think. And this was the time of TV money negotiation arguments and spending what you ain’t got.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, February 16, 2020, 3:09pm; Reply: 2
Quoted from rancido
I was given part of this edition of the G.E.T and the front and back page headlines made interesting reading. " New Faces On Board " was the front headline. Grimsby Town FC had announced " some big hitters from the business world in a major boardroom expansion ". Colin Graves, boss of the Costcutter supermarket empire , had joined the board. We had also recruited Richard Jackson ( ( chief of the expanding Nidd Vale Motors group ) , Richard Lake ( joint boss of Eastern Airways ) and Jim Arnell ( Nisa commercial director ). Bryan Huxford , vice-chairman, said the additional directors would be making a " substantial investment in the club ".
The back page headline read " We'll Take Town To The Premiership ". This was a quote by supermarket magnate Colin Graves.
How things have changed in 20 years and where are these saviours of Grimsby Town FC now?

I remember that ....what a set of w@nkers
Posted by: rancido, February 16, 2020, 3:41pm; Reply: 3
Quoted from HertsGTFC

I remember that ....what a set of w@nkers

Exactly! I know that JF has come in for a lot of criticism, and rightly so in some respects, but what a crock of horse sh*t he inherited!!
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, February 16, 2020, 4:05pm; Reply: 4
Quoted from rancido

Exactly! I know that JF has come in for a lot of criticism, and rightly so in some respects, but what a crock of horse sh*t he inherited!!

He’s had how many years to put it right though ....🤨 however he’s finally got a proper football man in charge and if he fenty that is delivers a stadium to be proud of , all the bad stuff will be forgotten here’s hoping
Posted by: grimsby pete, February 16, 2020, 4:24pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from rancido

They all drunk off and left Fenty with the bill.

What's come over me ?   I keep saying nice thinks about John.

It must be the Ollie effect.
Posted by: Mariner16, February 16, 2020, 5:28pm; Reply: 6
The same Colin Graves who is now chairman of the England Cricket Board?
Posted by: rancido, February 16, 2020, 5:37pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from grimsby pete

They all drunk off and left Fenty with the bill.

What's come over me ?   I keep saying nice thinks about John.

It must be the Ollie effect.

Maybe but it's also a realisation that things at the time were not as clear cut as some seem to think. JF had to make some decisions at the time which were unpalatable to the those who were not in touch with the full facts.
Posted by: Abdul19, February 16, 2020, 6:00pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from Mariner16
The same Colin Graves who is now chairman of the England Cricket Board?

The very same: https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/officers/ORECsqQBWOvKvPiIm1XwElWLgvk/appointments
Print page generated: May 2, 2024, 12:00pm