Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Tinymariner, February 14, 2020, 6:36pm
Banned from Euro competitions for 2 years and fined 30 million Euros.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51510284
Posted by: CodHead, February 14, 2020, 6:40pm; Reply: 1
About Time!

PSG should be next
Posted by: Gaffer58, February 14, 2020, 6:41pm; Reply: 2
That will please Barcelona, Real Madrid, Bayern Munich, Juventus,Liverpool, Man Utd etc, they don’t like new money sneaking into their big boys club.
Posted by: marinerdazza, February 14, 2020, 6:43pm; Reply: 3
Hmmmm...they’ll appeal.
Posted by: CodHead, February 14, 2020, 6:44pm; Reply: 4
Quoted from Gaffer58
That will please Barcelona, Real Madrid, Bayern Munich, Juventus,Liverpool, Man Utd etc, they don’t like new money sneaking into their big boys club.

Man Utd?

;D ;D
Posted by: IlkleyMariner, February 14, 2020, 7:04pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from Tinymariner
Banned from Euro competitions for 2 years and fined 30 million Euros.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51510284

Great news if it sticks.
If they can afford 30 million they could put a few million into a rescue fund for lower league clubs

Posted by: Poojah, February 14, 2020, 7:11pm; Reply: 6
Wow. Didn’t see that coming.

It’ll be one season, max, though.
Posted by: mimma, February 14, 2020, 7:12pm; Reply: 7
Barcelona have also been fined, but they never got banned.

Not sure about what the difference is between the two other than they won't dare ban Barca.

Is this a case of one rule for English teams, another rule for everyone else? We've seen that before haven't we?
Posted by: aldi_01, February 14, 2020, 7:12pm; Reply: 8
If they’re actually serious then that list needs to include at least four more clubs...aside from the mafia money that’s funded Juve for years, they, along with PSG, Real, Barca and likely another club from some random country could be included...City will not be the only one in the wrong here.
Posted by: Ashby mariner, February 14, 2020, 7:22pm; Reply: 9
Will the 5th place team get there spot then?
Posted by: promotion plaice, February 14, 2020, 7:26pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from aldi_01
If they’re actually serious then that list needs to include at least four more clubs...aside from the mafia money that’s funded Juve for years, they, along with PSG, Real, Barca and likely another club from some random country could be included...City will not be the only one in the wrong here.

They're miffed we've left the EU   ;)

Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, February 14, 2020, 7:31pm; Reply: 11
They will appeal to the Court of Arbitration for Sport on the grounds that UEFA acted as prosecutor, judge and jury.

Even if not successful it  might still postpone the ban.

I hope they fail in the appeal but not holding my breath over it.
Posted by: golfer, February 14, 2020, 7:55pm; Reply: 12
Get Boris involved
Posted by: MarinerRob, February 14, 2020, 8:03pm; Reply: 13
Boris wanted us out of Europe.
Posted by: jock dock tower, February 14, 2020, 8:11pm; Reply: 14
Whatever the rights and wrongs of not including other clubs - yet - rotten money has been a stain on the modern game for far too long. It's about time something was done about it. Hopefully others will follow.

Not European I know but I also note that Sheffield Wednesday could also be in deep cack over the sale of their ground and leasing back arrangement to get around the Financial Fair Play ruling
Posted by: Gaffer58, February 14, 2020, 8:57pm; Reply: 15

Not European I know but I also note that Sheffield Wednesday could also be in deep cack over the sale of their ground and leasing back arrangement to get around the Financial Fair Play ruling[/quote]

So could BP be sold and the proceeds used on players, probably Mr Fenty might buy it.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, February 14, 2020, 9:03pm; Reply: 16
About time those that bend/break the rules got sorted. The EFL need to sort this share issue excrement out too...ooohh, forgot they sponsor Salford. 😔😔😔
Posted by: KingstonMariner, February 14, 2020, 9:49pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from Gaffer58

Not European I know but I also note that Sheffield Wednesday could also be in deep cack over the sale of their ground and leasing back arrangement to get around the Financial Fair Play ruling

So could BP be sold and the proceeds used on players, probably Mr Fenty might buy it.[/quote]

It could but:
(1) he effectively owns it anyway (he has control of the club which owns the ground)
(2) why would he pay more money for it when he doesn’t really want to bankroll the club
(3) the club’s assets are security against his loans already
(4) the money it’s worth won’t last very long (£700k last time I saw that bit of the accounts
(5) we wouldn’t really want that because what happens when ownership falls into the hands of someone who doesn’t give a shot about the club (I’m old enough to remember what happened to Brighton’s old ground 30+ years ago).
Posted by: KingstonMariner, February 14, 2020, 9:52pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from mimma
Barcelona have also been fined, but they never got banned.

Not sure about what the difference is between the two other than they won't dare ban Barca.

Is this a case of one rule for English teams, another rule for everyone else? We've seen that before haven't we?

Struggling to think what’s English about a club owned by Qataris, managed by a Spaniard/Catalan, with a multinational squad.
Posted by: RonMariner, February 14, 2020, 9:57pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Struggling to think what’s English about a club owned by Qataris, managed by a Spaniard/Catalan, with a multinational squad.

Their fans perhaps?
Posted by: RonMariner, February 14, 2020, 10:00pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from jock dock tower
Whatever the rights and wrongs of not including other clubs - yet - rotten money has been a stain on the modern game for far too long. It's about time something was done about it. Hopefully others will follow.

I think Derby are under investigation for something similar.  
Posted by: coddy60, February 14, 2020, 10:18pm; Reply: 21
Just wondering how they fall foul of UEFA rules but not the FAs,  I.e , why aren't they getting points deductions or relegation from their own governing body, for basically cheating like intercourse?
Posted by: KingstonMariner, February 14, 2020, 10:19pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from RonMariner

Their fans perhaps?

Yeah. Most of them.

Don’t think I’ll be feeling sorry for them.
Posted by: ginnywings, February 14, 2020, 10:39pm; Reply: 23
Couldn't give less of a sh1t.  Fook 'em.

Money is the root of all evil and i hope they all go t1ts up in their pursuit of the filthy lucre. Give me GTFC and League 2 any day of the week.
Posted by: LH, February 14, 2020, 10:48pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from coddy60
Just wondering how they fall foul of UEFA rules but not the FAs,  I.e , why aren't they getting points deductions or relegation from their own governing body, for basically cheating like intercourse?

This. If a 100m gold medalist at the Olympics is found to have been doping then the silver medallist is upgraded to gold etc etc. The FA or PL would never have the balderdash to do that to the current champions - because it would more than likely open a huge can of worms for the rest of the PL.

That said we’d probably find ourselves in the Championship so we should start campaigning for it.
Posted by: ginnywings, February 14, 2020, 10:52pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from coddy60

Can't devalue the product.
Posted by: aldi_01, February 14, 2020, 11:08pm; Reply: 26
One might argue the anti English attitudes of UEFA, or the fact that for whatever reason they seem to favour the big Spanish two.

I don’t see this as uefa growing a pair as they should’ve just done them all at once. Real were in a similar situation a few years ago and intercourse all happened.

I suspect the reason the FA can’t step in from a domestic point of view is because they don’t have much control over leagues and how they choose to impose their rules etc.

We can argue until we’re blue in the face about teams circumventing rules etc but the only people to blame are the rule makers for allowing them to be passed knowing they’d be circumvented and manipulated to benefit clubs with less scruples than others.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, February 14, 2020, 11:12pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from aldi_01
One might argue the anti English attitudes of UEFA, or the fact that for whatever reason they seem to favour the big Spanish two.

I don’t see this as uefa growing a pair as they should’ve just done them all at once. Real were in a similar situation a few years ago and intercourse all happened.

I suspect the reason the FA can’t step in from a domestic point of view is because they don’t have much control over leagues and how they choose to impose their rules etc.

We can argue until we’re blue in the face about teams circumventing rules etc but the only people to blame are the rule makers for allowing them to be passed knowing they’d be circumvented and manipulated to benefit clubs with less scruples than others.

You mean murder is the fault of God for putting ‘Thou shalt not kill’ in the Commandments and not the fault of the murderers?
Posted by: KingstonMariner, February 14, 2020, 11:13pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from ginnywings

Can't devalue the product.

....any more than it is
Posted by: Maringer, February 14, 2020, 11:18pm; Reply: 29
The two big Spanish clubs aren't owned by money-chasing fatcats, oligarchs or other dodgy foreign billionaires. They are both owned by their members. A rather different situation to that of Citeh or various other clubs such as Chelski. Not to say they haven't broken or at least bent the rules in the past (Barcelona were punished for hoovering up too many youngsters, I seem to think?), but the situation is a little different. Or, at least, I have more sympathy with them.

The rugger buggers have shown the way things should be done by booting our Saracens, the most predominant of English clubs in recent years. Can't imagine the F.A. relegating any of the big clubs for financial misdeeds.
Posted by: smokey111, February 15, 2020, 7:19am; Reply: 30
Doubt this will stick. To quote Alfie Solomon "Big always fu**s small".
Posted by: GrimRob, February 15, 2020, 7:20am; Reply: 31
MCExit could see Sheff Utd in the champions league. There is hope for us yet!
Posted by: 123614 (Guest), February 15, 2020, 9:14am; Reply: 32
Quoted from KingstonMariner

You mean murder is the fault of God for putting ‘Thou shalt not kill’ in the Commandments and not the fault of the murderers?

Since there is no such person, this is irrelevant.

Posted by: pen penfras, February 15, 2020, 9:42am; Reply: 33
Quoted from Maringer
The two big Spanish clubs aren't owned by money-chasing fatcats, oligarchs or other dodgy foreign billionaires. They are both owned by their members. A rather different situation to that of Citeh or various other clubs such as Chelski. Not to say they haven't broken or at least bent the rules in the past (Barcelona were punished for hoovering up too many youngsters, I seem to think?), but the situation is a little different. Or, at least, I have more sympathy with them.

The rugger buggers have shown the way things should be done by booting our Saracens, the most predominant of English clubs in recent years. Can't imagine the F.A. relegating any of the big clubs for financial misdeeds.

No, but when La Liga wanted to share the tv money out throughout the league to create more competition, they refused to play games to make sure that they get 90% of it between 2 teams. PSG have done it for years, even more than City. Juventus have been run by dodgy money for as long as I can remember. Chelsea are run from Abramovich's dodgy money. How are Inter affording all of the mega stars they're signing?

As for our level, having a tick box that says you can do whatever you want as long as you agree to fund the extra is a joke. So is buying more shares or the stadium to fund the playing squad. When the person that's doing these things decides to up sticks at the next recession, and the club is left with a £2M hole that nobody is covering any more, then the fans and the game suffer.

About time some action was taken, but against ALL the offenders, not just the new kids that are upsetting the established big boys club
Posted by: Abdul19, February 15, 2020, 9:54am; Reply: 34
I found the most amusing thing about it to be the signings they made during the period concerned. £25m on Wilfried Bony!

(Not quite as amusing as Ashley Young being described as a megastar ;))
Posted by: aldi_01, February 15, 2020, 10:48am; Reply: 35
The comment about Real and Barca being owned by members is somewhat funny though don’t ya think...I mean Real were in a mess not too long ago, bailed out by the royal family with public money.

The two big Spanish clubs behave like they have some entitlement and god given right to do what they want. Let’s not forget it wasn’t that long ago that Barca weren’t eating at the top table as regular as they do now.

Bemoaning City and Chelsea as examples is churlish at best to and akin to jealousy. Any football fan that says they wouldn’t want that to happen is bullshitting. For years folks have talked about what happens when they pull their money out, well we’ve been waiting for years at Chelsea and to no avail. Money hasn’t just been spent on ‘buying’ silverware but building infrastructure and so on. Anyone that’s visited City can see for themselves.

Had they failed would anyone care? Let’s not forget the Bournemouth have been bank rolled. Justify it by saying they’ve lived within their means etc however much you like but it’s a fact. What about all those businesses that went bust becauee Bournemouth lived beyond their means for years?

I expect this to be overturned and never to be heard of again. It’s simply the big boys not wanting a new young upstart boycotting their party. Remember when City were fined becauee their fans booed the so called Champions League anthem yet other teams weren’t...

There will never be a true European league but this is the closest clubs will ever get and they don’t like new money and upstarts gatecrashing.
Posted by: Gaffer58, February 15, 2020, 1:08pm; Reply: 36
Not to long ago Real Madrid were struggling financially, I think they sold or had their training ground sponsored for a ridiculous amount, several hundred million pounds, it was questioned at the time but hey ho it’s Madrid, they sell lots of tv subscriptions in Asia so obviously no action taken.
    Even in this country, didn’t Scudamore when he ran the premiership and Man U failed for the first time not to make the champions league his comments were something like, “ it’s not good for the premiership not having Man U in the champions league” l guess it was made sure they qualified the following year.
Posted by: Heisenberg, February 15, 2020, 1:13pm; Reply: 37
Quoted from Gaffer58
Not to long ago Real Madrid were struggling financially, I think they sold or had their training ground sponsored for a ridiculous amount, several hundred million pounds, it was questioned at the time but hey ho it’s Madrid, they sell lots of tv subscriptions in Asia so obviously no action taken.
    Even in this country, didn’t Scudamore when he ran the premiership and Man U failed for the first time not to make the champions league his comments were something like, “ it’s not good for the premiership not having Man U in the champions league” l guess it was made sure they qualified the following year.

I think the Spanish government bought Real’s training ground to bail them out, didn’t they?! No wonder Catalonia hates them so much (although it’s not all based on football, I know that!).
Posted by: Gaffer58, February 15, 2020, 1:17pm; Reply: 38
Quoted from Heisenberg

I think the Spanish government bought Real’s training ground to bail them out, didn’t they?! No wonder Catalonia hates them so much (although it’s not all based on football, I know that!).

Now we’ve got all Conservative local MP’s and Boris wants to spend, maybe the government will buy our training ground, with the upgraded ports cabins it must be worth millions.
Posted by: RonMariner, February 15, 2020, 1:49pm; Reply: 39
Quoted from Gaffer58

Now we’ve got all Conservative local MP’s and Boris wants to spend, maybe the government will buy our training ground, with the upgraded ports cabins it must be worth millions.

Too late, Boris is already ditching the North. If we were based in Hampshire it would no doubt be a goer.
Posted by: jock dock tower, February 15, 2020, 2:12pm; Reply: 40
Quoted from RonMariner

Too late, Boris is already ditching the North. If we were based in Hampshire it would no doubt be a goer.

Would rather see him in his ditch in the north.

Posted by: KingstonMariner, February 15, 2020, 3:44pm; Reply: 41
Quoted from jock dock tower

Would rather see him in his ditch in the north.

Or in front of the bulldozers at Heathrow third runway. I’m sure he meant it. Every word he says.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, February 15, 2020, 3:45pm; Reply: 42
Quoted from 123614

Since there is no such person, this is irrelevant.

Talk about missing the point.
Print page generated: April 19, 2024, 9:23pm