Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: mariner paul, February 14, 2020, 2:48pm
With the storm David forecast inevitable is there a possibility that the match could be called off
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, February 14, 2020, 2:52pm; Reply: 1
No, 0 chance

Storm Dennis on the other hand....
Posted by: pizzzza, February 14, 2020, 2:59pm; Reply: 2
Quoted Text
North East Lincolnshire
Yellow warning of wind
Updated 14 February at 12:26 GMT
From
10:00 GMT on Sat 15 February
To
12:00 GMT on Sun 16 February
Storm Dennis will bring strong winds over the weekend. Some disruption to travel is likely across parts of England and Wales.

- Some delays to road, rail, air and ferry transport are likely

- Delays for high-sided vehicles on exposed routes and bridges likely

- Some short term loss of power and other services is possible

- It’s likely that some coastal routes, sea fronts and coastal communities are affected by spray and/or large waves

Doesn't say anything about football matches having to be postponed  ;)
Posted by: Maringer, February 14, 2020, 3:00pm; Reply: 3
My phone's weather app seems to think that the worst of it won't come until Sunday so I'd expect the game to be on.

Let's hope a good game of football breaks out, despite the crummy weather conditions.
Posted by: joe56, February 14, 2020, 3:45pm; Reply: 4
The BBC forecast is for 45 mph winds throughout the period of the match tomorrow. If that materialises, I think it’s likely to be called off. Frankly, in those conditions, I’d rather it was. It would become lottery, and we could end up losing a game we really should have won.
Posted by: golfer, February 14, 2020, 4:48pm; Reply: 5
If you are doing 45mph  and there is a 45mph back wind and you stick your head out of the window will you feel any wind ?
Posted by: Croxton, February 14, 2020, 4:53pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from joe56
The BBC forecast is for 45 mph winds throughout the period of the match tomorrow. If that materialises, I think it’s likely to be called off. Frankly, in those conditions, I’d rather it was. It would become lottery, and we could end up losing a game we really should have won.

The winds are forecast to be southerly which means that it it will largely be across the pitch and slightly sheltered by the Findus. If both keepers use their brains, they should be able to aim kicks towards the Main Stand and not see the ball sail back over their heads. Any clearances into midfield could be disastrous. Our new policy of 16 passes and a shot into the bottom corner seem spot on!
Posted by: gytone, February 14, 2020, 4:54pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from joe56

Postpone a game for 45mph winds, give over not a chance, this isn't the premiership you know that 🙄🤣
Posted by: joe56, February 14, 2020, 4:58pm; Reply: 8
BBC have revised the wind speeds upwards to 57 mph in Cleethorpes during the afternoon. Can’t see it being on. I hope I’m wrong.
Posted by: aldi_01, February 14, 2020, 5:21pm; Reply: 9
The only way wind will get a game called off at the professional level is if the ground gets damaged or something along those lines...
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, February 14, 2020, 6:05pm; Reply: 10
The game will be on and should suit our new found style of football...only issue for me is if the mainstand can withhold being blown into the Humber!!..
Posted by: acko338, February 14, 2020, 6:56pm; Reply: 11
Keep Macca on his line or there could be an embarrassing moment !!
Posted by: Cambs Mariner, February 14, 2020, 7:19pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from Northbank Mariner
The game will be on and should suit our new found style of football...only issue for me is if the mainstand can withhold being blown into the Humber!!..

If it can survive Norman Hunter crashing into it after a Bobby Cumming tackle then it can handle a bit of wind. That tackle registered on the Richter scale.
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, February 14, 2020, 7:25pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from Cambs Mariner

If it can survive Norman Hunter crashing into it after a Bobby Cumming tackle then it can handle a bit of wind. That tackle registered on the Richter scale.

And its always full of wind from the moaners in there!!..joking before the regulars get on my back!!..
Posted by: Poojah, February 14, 2020, 8:16pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from aldi_01
The only way wind will get a game called off at the professional level is if the ground gets damaged or something along those lines...

Or if there’s deemed to be a risk of it becoming damaged during the game. The only thing worse than a big chunk of roof flying off before a game is it flying off right in the middle of it.

I don’t know if there are any official protocols, but I can see it being a really tough call for someone to have to make tomorrow. Damned if you do, damned if you don’t.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, February 14, 2020, 8:20pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from aldi_01

I'm sure Squeaky will be at the grouns bright and early with his ladders and tool box.
Posted by: golfer, February 14, 2020, 8:34pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from golfer
If you are doing 45mph  and there is a 45mph back wind and you stick your head out of the window will you feel any wind ?

If y ou are driving at 45mph with a 45mph back wind and it takes 1hour to travel from A to B, how long will it take to drive at 45mph with a 45mph head wind from B to A ?
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, February 14, 2020, 8:49pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from golfer

If y ou are driving at 45mph with a 45mph back wind and it takes 1hour to travel from A to B, how long will it take to drive at 45mph with a 45mph head wind from B to A ?

0 mins..??
Posted by: Ipswin, February 14, 2020, 8:51pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from golfer

In forward or reverse gear?

Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, February 14, 2020, 9:16pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from golfer

What's on the radio?
Posted by: MuddyWaters, February 14, 2020, 9:16pm; Reply: 20
Wind will be pretty much straight across the pitch. So long as us fat boys in the Main Stand turn up, the game should be ok, especially as the wind speeds are forecast to be less than last week, I’m more concerned about the rain tbh.
Posted by: smokey111, February 14, 2020, 9:19pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from jamesgtfc

I'm sure Squeaky will be at the grouns bright and early with his ladders and tool box.

Very good.
Posted by: promotion plaice, February 14, 2020, 9:21pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from golfer

I assume the answer is 1 hour but I did fail my Eleven-plus   :)

Posted by: KingstonMariner, February 14, 2020, 9:42pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from golfer

What’s heavier a tonne of feathers or a crock* of excrement?

* Old Welsh for 1000kg
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, February 14, 2020, 9:54pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from golfer

It depends on how well you hit the ball off the tee doesn’t it?

Posted by: AussieMariner, February 14, 2020, 10:58pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from golfer

What are the altitudes of A and B?
Posted by: ginnywings, February 14, 2020, 11:04pm; Reply: 26
We live on the East coast and get some serious winds blowing down the Humber from time to time. Can't remember any bits of the ground dislodging to date? The old Barratt stand wasn't even fixed to the ground and stood the test of time, but it seems every time we get a forecast of wind and rain nowadays, peeps start panicking and expecting games to be called off. The actual amount of games called off for bad weather over the years is minimal in reality.
Posted by: Maringer, February 14, 2020, 11:25pm; Reply: 27
Waterlogged or snowbound and you can understand matches being called off, but a bit of wind? Nah, not for me. The ground has been undamaged in stronger winds in many occasions over the years (and I expect the safety certificate takes the state of repair into consideration), but strong winds aren't likely to do anything but make playing football a bit more difficult.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, February 14, 2020, 11:44pm; Reply: 28
The problem’s going to be the rain, not the wind. If it’s owt like it is down here, the ground will be sodden already. Another couple of weeks’ worth of rain in the morning might cause a bit of a problem.
Posted by: fiveallive, February 15, 2020, 2:37am; Reply: 29
According to BBC Weather the chances of rain get higher and every hour after 10am right through to gone tea time. So it's a possibility it might get called off.

So probably depends how hard it rains.

If the game goes a head both teae are costal teams so they both should be used to the conditions.
Posted by: moss_side_mariner, February 15, 2020, 3:20am; Reply: 30
Quoted from golfer

Whatever the sat nav says, I'll beat it.
Posted by: H19P1, February 15, 2020, 4:47am; Reply: 31
Quoted from golfer

Depends on the Coefficient of friction on both journeys I suppose 🤓
Posted by: thefish, February 15, 2020, 7:47am; Reply: 32
Quoted from golfer

It doesn’t matter... all you need to do is pass the ball to Vernam.
Posted by: golfer, February 15, 2020, 9:25am; Reply: 33
ANSWER - Only 1 correct answer, this was from non-chairman Concillor J.S.F.     " 3 days  6 hours 24 minutes due to the diversions which we intend to implement in the near future so that we can carry out URGENT road repairs to ensure your travel is more enjoyable "
Posted by: Maringer, February 15, 2020, 9:27am; Reply: 34
Rain just started up properly in Clee but it's not exactly torrential. I suppose if it continues like this until kick off, there may be an issue. Due to get very windy by mid-afternoon - my weather app reckons gusts over 60mph after 3pm.
Posted by: aldi_01, February 15, 2020, 9:42am; Reply: 35
Have town fans always been this concerned about weather or is it a new phenomena?

Less than ten years ago this weather wouldn’t even have had a name, it would’ve just been a labelled as a bit excrement.

If the game ends up being off today we might as well love the season to the summer months.
Posted by: It Bites, February 15, 2020, 9:53am; Reply: 36
Quoted from aldi_01
Have town fans always been this concerned about weather or is it a new phenomena?

Less than ten years ago this weather wouldn’t even have had a name, it would’ve just been a labelled as a bit excrement.

If the game ends up being off today we might as well love the season to the summer months.

Storm Gusty and Storm Drizzle are coming. Stay indoors and don’t drive . Light a candle for Grimsby
Posted by: friskneymariner, February 15, 2020, 10:13am; Reply: 37
Latest forecast South dangerous winds stay inside until they pass.North put your top coat on.
Posted by: buckstown, February 15, 2020, 10:23am; Reply: 38
For the last few years we've been praying for postponements to delay inevitable defeats. Now we just want to get it on and enjoy the fun
Posted by: moosey_club, February 15, 2020, 10:55am; Reply: 39
Quoted from friskneymariner
Latest forecast South dangerous winds stay inside until they pass.North put your top coat on.

Mine says ...maybe consider a long sleeve top
Posted by: golfer, February 15, 2020, 11:01am; Reply: 40
I remember going to see Town play in 3ft of snow. Volunteers had to dig down to mark the pitch. I used to wear plastic bags over my feet to stop the Kelloggs Cornflakes insoles going soggy and would often stand outside Cox's for scraps. One day on my way a local charity shop said i could borrow a coat if I was cold. I missed 1 match cos i didn't have the 4d to leave my bike at that house down the avenue.    And I was one of the few with a well paid job.  
Posted by: promotion plaice, February 15, 2020, 12:13pm; Reply: 41

No rain in Clee at the minute but that wind is getting up now.
Posted by: promotion plaice, February 15, 2020, 12:50pm; Reply: 42

Just watching the Southampton game, the conditions don't look great wind and rain.

Ings just made up for his error for their goal  1-1
Posted by: jock dock tower, February 15, 2020, 12:51pm; Reply: 43
Weather's decimated the non league schedule up here today. Just looking at the National League and National League North and they're virtually wiped out as well. Think we might see a few games abandoned during play today as it gets steadily worse.
Posted by: Gaffer58, February 15, 2020, 12:58pm; Reply: 44
I have a cockney living next door, already been round to check they are ok, he’s stocked up with bread and milk and sent his mother in law to Iceland (the country not the store) for safety.
Posted by: Grimbiggs, February 15, 2020, 12:59pm; Reply: 45
Rochdale only game off in the EFL at the min, although most of the National league already off. Watching Forest game at the min, very difficult conditions, and I think there'll be a few more postponed by kick-off, but I think ours will hopefully go ahead.
Posted by: oochiad, February 15, 2020, 1:27pm; Reply: 46
I’ve just arrived in Grimsby from Yorkshire and the drive was good, a little rain but no terrible wind as predicted. Hopefully we’ll get away with it as we need to play whilst out confidence is up! UTMM!
Posted by: RonMariner, February 15, 2020, 1:51pm; Reply: 47
If it is called off it will be bad news for those 20 away fans who will be on route as we speak.....must be four car loads of them.
Posted by: Swim Shady, February 15, 2020, 1:55pm; Reply: 48
Quoted from promotion plaice

Just watching the Southampton game, the conditions don't look great wind and rain.

Ings just made up for his error for their goal  1-1

I am in Southampton and just did a 5k run in amber alert. Wasn't to bad tbh.
Posted by: Mayaman, February 15, 2020, 2:04pm; Reply: 49
Quoted from golfer

Give it a go and write up your report here.

Print page generated: April 23, 2024, 12:23pm