Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Tommy, February 12, 2020, 10:30am
Don't think it's been picked up on yet on here anywhere (apologies if it has), but it looks like the club are ready to try and capitalise on the feel-good factor at the moment by getting next season's season tickets on sale soon.

https://twitter.com/officialgtfc/status/1227351830323245058?s=19
Posted by: aldi_01, February 12, 2020, 10:46am; Reply: 1
flipping Hell...I mean it took them weeks after the last time we had a feel good factor but finally they’ve realised it’s just easier to start selling them almost instantly...
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, February 12, 2020, 10:50am; Reply: 2
I really hope there is something innovative in the pricing. I have never had one and won't be able to make  at least 6 or 7 games as an exile and with work/family commitments. I am seriously tempted to get them for me and my lads anyway to guarantee away tickets, because I want to give that up front commitment and because I think it could be a really exciting season.
Posted by: Heisenberg, February 12, 2020, 10:58am; Reply: 3
I heard we've got about 2,700 ST holders this season, is that about right?  A little down on previous if that's right, we usually seem to hover around 3,000 most seasons.  I honestly believe 4,000 is an achievable number for next season.

Lincoln, with their supposed 8,000, is an unachievable number for us as there's no promotion this season for people to jump on, but still, increasing by 33% would be a real achievement and should help Ollie with a Top 7 budget for next season, I'm guessing.

A good move by the club.  I really hope the prices are on a sliding scale, to entice fans in to sign up early at decent reductions.  That's a risk, of course, but worthwhile, I reckon.

I also hope there are real incentives to get youngsters and OAPs on board with attractive discounts to make it affordable for them.
Posted by: diehardmariner, February 12, 2020, 11:22am; Reply: 4
I know there's a train of thought that financially there's no benefit to offering season tickets early, but purely from a perspective of capturing the current feel-good mood this has to be a must-do for the club in the next few weeks.

Not sure if the club should (or can) offer any financial incentive for capturing a ticket now but dangling something/anything won't hurt.  
Posted by: GollyGTFC, February 12, 2020, 11:46am; Reply: 5
Quoted from Heisenberg
I heard we've got about 2,700 ST holders this season, is that about right?  A little down on previous if that's right, we usually seem to hover around 3,000 most seasons.  I honestly believe 4,000 is an achievable number for next season.

Lincoln, with their supposed 8,000, is an unachievable number for us as there's no promotion this season for people to jump on, but still, increasing by 33% would be a real achievement and should help Ollie with a Top 7 budget for next season, I'm guessing.

A good move by the club.  I really hope the prices are on a sliding scale, to entice fans in to sign up early at decent reductions.  That's a risk, of course, but worthwhile, I reckon.

I also hope there are real incentives to get youngsters and OAPs on board with attractive discounts to make it affordable for them.

I think Lincoln restrict ST sales to around 6,200 to allow a supply for individual match tickets sales.
Posted by: GollyGTFC, February 12, 2020, 11:48am; Reply: 6
Quoted from GollyGTFC

I think Lincoln restrict ST sales to around 6,200 to allow a supply for individual match tickets sales.

[url]https://www.lincolnshirelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/lincoln-city-set-smash-season-3012410[/url]
Posted by: rancido, February 12, 2020, 12:38pm; Reply: 7
One incentive could be ST's bought before the end up of this season at this seasons prices. The club could then judge at the end of the season what the take up has been and price next seasons accordingly. If we get close to the play offs then we could see a surge in uptake which would benefit the club and those who took advantage.
Posted by: ska face, February 12, 2020, 1:01pm; Reply: 8
They should make it as simple as possible, we must have nearly 20 different kinds & combinations of ticket at the moment. Adult, OAP, student, young adult, child, unemployed, super OAP, exile, self-select, adult & child, family pack, all available in different stands at different prices. Just simplify it.

Adult
Concession (OAP, under 16, student/forces/NHS)
Self Select (12 games, you choose)

Obviously there’ll be someone in the office slaving over a spreadsheet working out the implications of that, but a big early push could easily make up for all the 50ps and £1s lost here & there.
Posted by: headingly_mariner, February 12, 2020, 3:09pm; Reply: 9
Get a discount on it as a treat to the long suffering fans. Our season tickets are too expensive.

Target at least 4 thousand, break records.

Great that they’re selling them early, make it easy and attractive for people to buy them.
Posted by: aldi_01, February 12, 2020, 3:56pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from diehardmariner
I know there's a train of thought that financially there's no benefit to offering season tickets early, but purely from a perspective of capturing the current feel-good mood this has to be a must-do for the club in the next few weeks.

Not sure if the club should (or can) offer any financial incentive for capturing a ticket now but dangling something/anything won't hurt.  

Those trains of thought need to change, whilst I understand the business fundamentals, in football you have to strike while the irons hot. It also provides people a much longer period of time to get the money together etc.

Within three hours of getting promoted we should’ve slung STs on sale, we’d have shifted at least 5000 but instead we faff arsed about and then blamed the printers.

They could’ve literally sold us a ST and given us a raffle ticket or receipt and said come and collect once printed.
Posted by: pen penfras, February 12, 2020, 4:10pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from aldi_01

we’d have shifted at least 5000

Absolutely no evidence behind that, just a number plucked out of the air. Don't give me Lincoln, they romped the league and had a huge wave of positivity and media exposure, we limped over the line. Not that I'm disputing we should have done that.

Anyway, lessons are being learnt and improved on. How about we just focus on the positives for once :)
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, February 12, 2020, 4:10pm; Reply: 12
it seems like our marketing strategy is now in line with more pro active clubs , a few weeks back my club seemed in a spiral of decline now it seems like anything is possible. We’re scoring goals coming back from being behind and a new feel good factor as swarmed all over the club. I’m normally pretty negative about fenty but fuk me getting olly here appears to be a master stroke, I can see already by how olly sets up we will challenge heavily for top 3 next season. UTM
Posted by: ska face, February 12, 2020, 4:30pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from pen penfras

Absolutely no evidence behind that, just a number plucked out of the air. Don't give me Lincoln, they romped the league and had a huge wave of positivity and media exposure, we limped over the line. Not that I'm disputing we should have done that.

Anyway, lessons are being learnt and improved on. How about we just focus on the positives for once :)

Afternoon Mr Wraith.
Posted by: WayneBurnettsJockstrap, February 12, 2020, 5:14pm; Reply: 14
Having never had the need for a season ticket, due to work commitments meaning I miss upto 15 home games a season, can I ask do they allow people to pay for them in installments or is it a one off payment? I seem to recall they do, but Im just asking. :-/

With there being 6 months to the start of the 20/21 season (GTFC League 2 champions!!!!), GTFC ought to make a push on helping those who maybe cant afford the full whack in one go, those on low income, even those who dont have direct debits be able to pay for the ST with monthly cash payments over the next 6 months. They could even offer monthly tickets for the remainder of this season, with prices covering the number of home matches that month. Can you imagine the uptake in April and May if we are heading in the right direction in the League, and with the weather getting better. All money in the coffers for Ollie next season.
Posted by: Grantham_Mariner, February 12, 2020, 9:07pm; Reply: 15
They should do it like you pay for your TV licence.....

Cost of ticket for 21/22 season say £300

Start paying £25 per month by Direct Debit in January 2021 until December 2021

Your season ticket is loaded on a plastic chip card (So it can be stopped if you do not continue to pay) at the start of the season.

So by start of season you have already paid £175, and you will have paid in full by December 2021.

Then January you start paying for the 22/23 season, and so on.....
Posted by: pizzzza, February 12, 2020, 9:35pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from Grantham_Mariner

Your season ticket is loaded on a plastic chip card (So it can be stopped if you do not continue to pay) at the start of the season.

So by start of season you have already paid £175, and you will have paid in full by December 2021.

Sounds very much like what Allam introduced at Hull and it is veeeeery unpopular. Its a no from me.
Posted by: Poojah, February 12, 2020, 9:37pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from Grantham_Mariner

I think the club do offer a credit-based option, but certainly something more modern and digital with an auto-renew function (that you could opt out on if you wish) would be welcome. I appreciate the club won't want to invest unnecessarily in the facilities at BP, but realistically how many turnstyles do we have throughout the ground - it couldn't be that expensive, could it? Especially if such technology could be reinstalled at any new stadium.

In terms of pushing sales, I'd like to see the club openly target £1m+ in season ticket sales, roughly 4,000 tickets if we work on an average of £250 once concessions are factored in. I assume we've never done over a million before? Season tickets would have been considerably cheaper when we were last selling that kind of number. I think if there were more transparency as to how such 'money in the bank' affects the playing budget, people would be more inclined to put their hands in their pockets (as they were five years ago with OP).

I also wonder if something along the lines of an affiliate marketing system might benefit the club. For anyone unfamiliar with the concept, it essentially amounts to receiving a commission for generating sales for a third-party business. In its enterprise-level forms, it's essentially the same model that the likes of Money Supermarket and the meerkat work on, but it also works on a much lower-level scale.

For instance, I could apply for a code unique to me. For every 'new' season ticket holder I introduced, I would receive say £10 credit to spend in the club shop or a discount I could set against my own season ticket, and the new season ticket holder would receive a small discount of their own. A couple of thousand town fans sharing offers like that to friends and family on social media or down the pub is bound to drive an uplift in sales.

Given we're now in 2020, I'd really urge the club to consider a more digital approach. For instance, it's amazing (and slightly frightening) how you can target specific groups of people on the likes of Facebook. You can do a lot more for instance than advertise to people in the North East Lincs region; options include:
There's absolutey loads that could be done, and it would cost very, very little to achieve on such a targeted level. There's a wave to ride right now; we need to get our surfboard out.
Posted by: Poojah, February 12, 2020, 10:23pm; Reply: 18
Had a quick Google and found this:

https://flowtesport.com/#season-tickets-membership

Currently in use at clubs as illistrious as Wrexham and Newport, so I'm assuming it's not obscenely expensive to implement. The club should be looking into this, if they're not already.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, February 13, 2020, 12:19am; Reply: 19
Digital. Surely. Got to be.

Probably save a small fortune in time faffing about with bits of paper. And as others have said, you can then tie in with other commercial offers.

Early sale of STs might not necessarily bring in much more money of itself (apart from building on the feel good factor) but it’ll help Ollie to know what his budget is for next season much earlier.
Posted by: aldi_01, February 13, 2020, 9:50am; Reply: 20
Having a digital approach has to be the way forward and whilst it may require a little adjustment for new technology, it’s cost effective in the end.

We must be the only place left with a dot matrix printer.

I ordered tickets for Bradford at two separate intervals...two envelopes, two receipts, so on and so on. Whilst I appreciate its pennies and short time but still, wasted.

The system introduced at Hull was poorly received because of prices increases and the fact the Allams arent arsed anymore...or so I’m led to believe by the mudrat in the office.

We have what appears to be a convoluted array of ticket options and an equally convoluted approach to printing etc.

I know people cried themselves to sleep about Wembley tickets only being sold on see tickets but in reality it was much much simpler. The fact GTFC don’t offer a print at home facility is bonkers, especially given the number of exiled fans that travel to home games.

We all understand that the club doesn’t want to invest in BP but an electric card type system is small fry and let’s face it, we’re gonna be there for at least another 5 years...
Posted by: Heisenberg, February 13, 2020, 10:18am; Reply: 21
I have no idea how to attach photos on this board, but my work colleague has an Oldham Athletic season ticket (the poor sap!) and it's just a credit card with a bar code on it.  How we have still got the paper booklets in this day and age is beyond me.  We need to get with the times.

Posted by: jimgtfc, February 13, 2020, 10:30am; Reply: 22
Whilst I agree with most of the posts regarding technology, I’ll give a little devil’s advocate. I recently had to endure going to the KC to watch them due to work. They have the barcode scanning ticketing system in place and the queue for each turnstile was horrendous as you wait for every ticket to be scanned. I’ve no idea the cost of employing someone to take tickets at the turnstiles, maybe a free ticket, but it can’t be as bad as all the security staff over the river who actually ended up helping people to scan their tickets, as some are cards and others printed and it was taking so long!

Also regarding simplifying the season tickets into basically adults and concessions, was it not us fans who wanted special prices for young adults, students, exiles etc?
Posted by: marinerdazza, February 13, 2020, 10:33am; Reply: 23
There was a post on twitter last week along the lines of "describe something about football that the younger generation wouldn't understand"

Many posts laughed at the idea they used to have little books for season tickets, from which you tore out a token for every game...
Posted by: nealeardleyscrossing, February 13, 2020, 2:46pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from Heisenberg
I have no idea how to attach photos on this board, but my work colleague has an Oldham Athletic season ticket (the poor sap!) and it's just a credit card with a bar code on it.  How we have still got the paper booklets in this day and age is beyond me.  We need to get with the times.

That's what we have had at Lincoln for 2 years - Scanned when you go in the ground. Also on your phone if you foget the card.
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, February 13, 2020, 7:41pm; Reply: 25
What young people do not understand about football.  How about finding out HT scores during a game by matching letters and scores (from wooden slates) against match codes shown in the match programme?
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, February 13, 2020, 7:54pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
What young people do not understand about football.  How about finding out HT scores during a game by matching letters and scores (from wooden slates) against match codes shown in the match programme?

***scoreflash***
Posted by: moosey_club, February 13, 2020, 8:32pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY

***scoreflash***

awwww i had genuinely forgotten about them....the general air of anticipation/buzz that went round the crowd....followed by a cheer when it was a rival going a goal down.
If i remember correctly it was Buckley who put a stop to them as he claimed the random cheering distracted the team.

Posted by: toontown, February 13, 2020, 8:35pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from moosey_club

awwww i had genuinely forgotten about them....the general air of anticipation/buzz that went round the crowd....followed by a cheer when it was a rival going a goal down.
If i remember correctly it was Buckley who put a stop to them as he claimed the random cheering distracted the team.

Thought it was just stopped for one promotion decider game as he felt it would pressure the team if rivals were winning
Posted by: moosey_club, February 13, 2020, 8:48pm; Reply: 29
i can remember his complaint, you could be right, long time ago now...on the old Rangers (?) scoreboard was it .
Posted by: Abdul19, February 13, 2020, 9:08pm; Reply: 30
DAVID BURY TV SCOREFLASH
Posted by: Civvy at last, February 14, 2020, 9:13am; Reply: 31
My lad never has (and never will) been sat watching teletext for half an afternoon in order to keep tabs on a match.

Kids today 😄
Posted by: mimma, February 14, 2020, 12:40pm; Reply: 32
95% of fans using new technology understand how it works. It's the 5% that don't understand it that cause problems at the turnstiles.

Few years back I borrowed a season ticket for the kop at Anfield. It was a simple credit card that you hold against a scanner and it let you in. Do we need to complicate it any further than that?
Posted by: Civvy at last, February 14, 2020, 12:55pm; Reply: 33
Quoted from mimma
95% of fans using new technology understand how it works. It's the 5% that don't understand it that cause problems at the turnstiles.

Few years back I borrowed a season ticket for the kop at Anfield. It was a simple credit card that you hold against a scanner and it let you in. Do we need to complicate it any further than that?

I would have a voice system that asked you three questions about your team before entry.

Thus ensuring:

No away fans in the home end (or visa Versace)
and no two team w@nkers 😉
Posted by: pen penfras, February 14, 2020, 12:58pm; Reply: 34
Quoted from mimma

That's what it was when I went to the city of Manchester stadium, and it was chaos getting in. The next time I went, a steward was stood there, taking the tickets off people and scanning them for them.
Posted by: golfer, February 14, 2020, 1:48pm; Reply: 35
What is really wrong with the little book system - as far as I am concerned it's just as quick as any other system . Why fuk things up with technology which is more than likely to go wrong at some time,especially if some Scunny whizz kid puts a virus on it ( on second thoughts don't think there are any )
Posted by: Brazilnut, February 17, 2020, 9:18am; Reply: 36
has there been any movement on this ?
Print page generated: April 23, 2024, 5:17pm