Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: PoutonStepover, February 7, 2020, 11:27am
......has just signed for Hereford

https://twitter.com/herefordfc/status/1225727520517033984?s=21
Posted by: marinerdazza, February 7, 2020, 11:29am; Reply: 1
I hope he's more successful for them than the last ex-GTFC thing that went their way.

Edit: I was talking about Slade - forgot Josh Gowling was now in charge.
Posted by: pizzzza, February 7, 2020, 11:40am; Reply: 2
That's quite some drop for him from League 1 down to NLN level.
Posted by: Abdul19, February 7, 2020, 11:58am; Reply: 3
On paper a great signing, but I've no idea how fit he is these days.

(Also I've just realised that it's nearly half a decade since I last saw him play)
Posted by: Ipswin, February 7, 2020, 12:09pm; Reply: 4
Quoted from pizzzza
That's quite some drop for him from League 1 down to NLN level.

Josh Gowling is in temporary charge there so obviously he persuaded him (he was out of contract anyway and I can't imagine there was a queue for his services)

Posted by: grimsby pete, February 7, 2020, 12:16pm; Reply: 5
Failed fitness test at Scunny but Hurst still wanted to sign him.

Maybe he has an injury that will not go away  but he can still play at that level.
Posted by: diehardmariner, February 7, 2020, 12:16pm; Reply: 6
Is it 3 ACL's he's suffered from?

Incredible character to come back from those.

Had his critics whilst here but I loved his work-rate and the way he led the line.  No doubt we upgraded on a frontman when we brought Amond in but there's plenty of occasions since we've been back in the league that I'd have had a 2014/15 LJL leading our line...
Posted by: mariner83, February 7, 2020, 1:24pm; Reply: 7
Good luck to him! :)
Posted by: Maringer, February 7, 2020, 2:10pm; Reply: 8
I've never seen a player with such prodigious workrate which (in my view), more than made up for his failings in other areas during his time at the club. With the injuries he's suffered in recent years, I'd imagine he wouldn't be able to continue in that manner any longer so he's probably a much weaker player than he once was. Surprised to see he's only 30 so he obviously knows his career is winding down now.
Posted by: Les Brechin, February 7, 2020, 2:54pm; Reply: 9
Gave us that memorable early moment at Wembley which could have ended oh so differently if Ross "Bleeding" Joyce had had the bottle to send off their keeper not long after.
Posted by: grimsby pete, February 7, 2020, 3:26pm; Reply: 10
Agree his work rate more than made up for his short falls.

Hope he does well.
Posted by: Fishy clapper, February 7, 2020, 3:39pm; Reply: 11
Disagree
Posted by: golfer, February 7, 2020, 6:40pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from Fishy clapper
Disagree

I disagree with your disagreement if you were disagreeing with what I think you were , but if your disagreement wasn't that then I agree with your disagreement unless there is something else you are disagreeing with which I don't know about.
Posted by: Garth, February 7, 2020, 8:41pm; Reply: 13
I'll be watching Hereford's results with an added interest, always nice to see ex mariners doing well
Posted by: Davec, February 7, 2020, 9:16pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from Garth
I'll be watching Hereford's results with an added interest, always nice to see ex mariners doing well

Was you interested when Russell Slade was their manager?😉
Posted by: promotion plaice, February 7, 2020, 9:41pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from marinerdazza

Edit: I was talking about Slade - forgot Josh Gowling was now in charge.

Apparently Gowling was watching the game at Sincil Bank tonight.

FT..  Lincoln 0-1 Rotherham   8)  

Posted by: aldi_01, February 7, 2020, 9:55pm; Reply: 16
Hard to truly criticise the shop. Yes, we all know he was hardly the clinical Amond or Hearn, nor was he the maverick Bogle but he worked his absolute balderdash off and it was said multiple times that he was good to have around.

Impossible to wish the bloke nothing but good luck. Had Joyce had some bollcoks perhaps it would pictures of the Shop rather than Bogle and Arnold that we’d all have.

Bloke always gave his all and even missing last minute penalties and 1 yard our sitters doesn’t mean I wish the bloke anything other than good luck.

Could be mega at that level, even with the excrement injuries...
Posted by: nightrider, February 7, 2020, 10:10pm; Reply: 17
Couldnt shoot for excrement but an incredible athlete. Granted it was non league but watched Town since 1990 and never seen a player with a better work rate - his performance against Eastleigh? away in the playoffs was worth the trip and admission fee alone. Gave it everything, not surprised he ends up with injuries
Posted by: LH, February 7, 2020, 10:42pm; Reply: 18
The very minimum you ask for from players as a supporter of a club is their 100% effort. LJL put 100% in every game and his capacity for effort was probably double that of the average footballer. Yes he struggled for goals (somewhat ironic considering he got 20 in the non-promotion play off final season) but if he had that string to his bow he’d have played a lot higher.
Posted by: Ipswin, February 8, 2020, 8:53am; Reply: 19
Quoted from aldi_01

. Had Joyce had some bollcoks perhaps it would pictures of the Shop rather than Bogle and Arnold that we’d all have.

Oh FFS are we still going on about that

The Shop had already fluked one off his face what more do you want

Oh and by the way I didn't know Joyce was a plumber

Posted by: horsforthmariner, February 8, 2020, 7:07pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from Ipswin

Oh FFS are we still going on about that

The Shop had already fluked one off his face what more do you want

Oh and by the way I didn't know Joyce was a plumber

We should go on about it because it was the worst, most incompetent decision I've seen in any game of football ever. It was disgraceful. Ball heading for the net, delivberate handball to prevent a goal is always a straight red.
Posted by: Stadium, February 8, 2020, 8:13pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from horsforthmariner

We should go on about it because it was the worst, most incompetent decision I've seen in any game of football ever. It was disgraceful. Ball heading for the net, delivberate handball to prevent a goal is always a straight red.

Why?
All your points stand but what's the point?
You obviously have an issue with moving forward,on the day a particulier poor decision but to be honest its way in the past.
Also over dramatic with it been the "worst, most incompetent decision I've seen in any game of football ever"-most other fans of other clubs will have a similar story to tell.
Posted by: RonMariner, February 9, 2020, 12:13am; Reply: 22
Quoted from Stadium

Why?
All your points stand but what's the point?
You obviously have an issue with moving forward,on the day a particulier poor decision but to be honest its way in the past.
Also over dramatic with it been the "worst, most incompetent decision I've seen in any game of football ever"-most other fans of other clubs will have a similar story to tell.

The fact that we have since moved on does not change the fact that a clear red card offence was committed, and that the ref later admitted that he did not want to 'ruin the spectacle of the game'.

Totally unacceptable, and an act of cowardice. That guy should never have officiated at another game. He was clearly not fit for purpose. The referee is there to administer the rules of the game,no matter how inconvenient.
Posted by: WayneBurnettsJockstrap, February 9, 2020, 1:27am; Reply: 23
Quoted from horsforthmariner
............ because it was the worst, most incompetent decision I've seen in any game of football ever.

Worse than Simeon Jackson not even getting a telling off for hospitalising a player with 3 or 4 serious injuries?
Posted by: Poojah, February 9, 2020, 2:27am; Reply: 24

Worse than Simeon Jackson not even getting a telling off for hospitalising a player with 3 or 4 serious injuries?

To a degree I think referees can be forgiven for not seeing or fully appreciating the seriousness of an offence in the heat of a fast-moving game. Jackson’s assault on Hessenthaler is a good example of this, as was Dave Challinor’s yellow card for his career ending challenge on Martin Pringle.

What I always found so galling about that Ross Joyce decision was that he clearly saw and understood the offence but consciously chose not to punish it as per the rules. I can move on because of what followed a year later, but objectively speaking it was a shocking piece of referreeing that should’ve been looked into by the authorities.
Posted by: promotion plaice, February 9, 2020, 9:09pm; Reply: 25

Serious question, where does the nickname "The Shop" come from?

Posted by: Maringer, February 9, 2020, 9:12pm; Reply: 26
His name is a shop? Quite literally, in fact.
Posted by: arryarryarry, February 9, 2020, 9:12pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from promotion plaice

Serious answer, from a well known department store I think but the name escapes me.
Posted by: promotion plaice, February 9, 2020, 9:14pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from Maringer
His name is a shop? Quite literally, in fact.

Ahhh, I get it now, no wonder I failed my 11 plus   :)
Posted by: Les Brechin, February 10, 2020, 3:47pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from promotion plaice

His middle names are Mark and Spencer.  ;)
Posted by: Ipswin, February 10, 2020, 4:03pm; Reply: 30
Quoted from Les Brechin

I think he was more your Lidl, Aldi or Home Bargains

Posted by: KingstonMariner, February 11, 2020, 12:15am; Reply: 31
Quoted from Les Brechin

No, Marks and Sparkes used to play for Braintree c2015.
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, February 11, 2020, 8:18am; Reply: 32
Extremely underrated player, just because his shooting was great, but we was non-league, and if he could shoot as good as Connell, Amond, we wouldn't of had him.

Easy to forget he scored 20+ goals in the play-off final losing season
Print page generated: April 26, 2024, 4:44am