Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: WayneBurnettsJockstrap, February 6, 2020, 4:29pm
Nobody can deny the feel good factor that Ollie has brought to the club, and to the town as a whole, and long may it continue.

Everyone was amazed, nay, gobsmacked when he was appointed as our leader. Everyone said how good it was that he has so much experience, and part and parcel of that comes names...contacts et al. All well and good I hear you say, but has anyone actually seen his managerial record? I had a look today and was astonished at just how mediocre he has been in his career. Admittedly he has never managed a team at such a low division before so hopefully his higher league experience may come into play, but he can only work with what he's given...players....budget etc.

His managerial career actually looks pretty crap, considering all the hullabaloo that goes with Ollie.

Team                                 Tenure                                                          P          W     D       L        %

Bristol Rovers                     13 May 1996-29 January 2001                 247      90      70      87      36.4
Queens Park Rangers         26 February 2001-6 February 2006        252     100     71      81       39.7
Plymouth Argyle                 28 June 2006-21 November 2007            71        28     23      20        39.4
Leicester City                     22 November 2007-23 May 2008              32        9        8       15        28.1
Blackpool                           21 May 2009-3 November 2012                161      62    43       56        38.5
Crystal Palace                    4 November 2012-23 October 2013          46      14      14      18        30.4
Millwall                               7 January 2014-10 March 2015                 62       14    19        29       22.6
Queens Park Rangers         11 November 2016-10 May 2018             80      26     14        40       32.5
Grimsby Town                    31 December 2019-Present                        6         2       2       2         33.3

Total                                                                                                    957      345   264   348        36.1

Now I know there will be LOTS of red crosses for this one, as is the norm for most people on here who mention ANYTHING negative, but take your rose coloured specs off for a moment and just take in what it shows above.

Is he the Messiah? Or is he a very naughty boy?

[img]https://media.giphy.com/media/LyJVtVe9Kqm2Y/giphy.gif[/img] [img]https://media.giphy.com/media/g8a4XudONT2aQ/giphy.gif[/img]
Posted by: Bigdog, February 6, 2020, 4:35pm; Reply: 1
Never been at a club with a large budget for the division. I'd say it's a fairly solid overall career with three promotions and managing one or two clubs in turmoil off the pitch..
Posted by: MuddyWaters, February 6, 2020, 4:36pm; Reply: 2
Or, if you look deeper, has he taken clubs to higher levels than their normal ceiling?
Posted by: grimsby pete, February 6, 2020, 4:38pm; Reply: 3
You forgot to say twice promoted to the premier and once to the championship.  Not bad going in my eyes.

AND

I don't red cross anybody it stops dicussion.
Posted by: WayneBurnettsJockstrap, February 6, 2020, 4:42pm; Reply: 4
Quoted from Bigdog
I'd say it's a fairly solid overall career with three promotions .......

.....and several relegations too

Posted by: TonySmith, February 6, 2020, 4:46pm; Reply: 5
I also notice that his winning and losing percentages are almost identical. So you could just as easily say that he has taken points from 2 out of every 3 games he has managed throughout his career. If he keeps that up with Town, and adds a few more wins instead of draws, I think most of us would take that.
Posted by: 4055 (Guest), February 6, 2020, 4:53pm; Reply: 6
FFS  There is always one  :-/   Hes at Town now , the past is the past.
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, February 6, 2020, 4:55pm; Reply: 7
Reading that says one thing to me...if you add the win/ drawn games together they equate to higher than the losses...so, extrapolating that into reality means we'll see more games won/drawn than lost... I'll take that...
Posted by: pizzzza, February 6, 2020, 4:57pm; Reply: 8
Nobody can deny the feel good factor that Ollie has brought to the club, and to the town as a whole, and long may it continue.

Everyone was amazed, nay, gobsmacked when he was appointed as our leader. Everyone said how good it was that he has so much experience, and part and parcel of that comes names...contacts et al. All well and good I hear you say, but has anyone actually seen his managerial record? I had a look today and was astonished at just how mediocre he has been in his career. Admittedly he has never managed a team at such a low division before so hopefully his higher league experience may coe into play, but he can only work with what hes given...players....budget etc.

His managerial career actually looks pretty crap, considering all the hullabaloo that goes with Ollie.

Team                                 Tenure                                                          P          W     D       L        %

Bristol Rovers                     13 May 1996-29 January 2001                 247      90      70      87      36.4
Queens Park Rangers         26 February 2001-6 February 2006        252     100     71      81       39.7
Plymouth Argyle                 28 June 2006-21 November 2007            71        28     23      20        39.4
Leicester City                     22 November 2007-23 May 2008              32        9        8       15        28.1
Blackpool                           21 May 2009-3 November 2012                161      62    43       56        38.5
Crystal Palace                    4 November 2012-23 October 2013          46      14      14      18        30.4
Millwall                               7 January 2014-10 March 2015                 62       14    19        29       22.6
Queens Park Rangers         11 November 2016-10 May 2018             80      26     14        40       32.5
Grimsby Town                    31 December 2019-Present                        6         2       2       2         33.3

Total                                                                                                    957      345   264   348        36.1

Now I know there will be LOTS of red crosses for this one, as is the norm for most people on here who mention ANYTHING negative, but take your rose coloured specs off for a moment and just take in what it shows above.

Is he the Messiah? Or is he a very naughty boy?

[img]https://media.giphy.com/media/LyJVtVe9Kqm2Y/giphy.gif[/img] [img]https://media.giphy.com/media/g8a4XudONT2aQ/giphy.gif[/img]

Well done! You've copy and pasted some numbers from Wikipedia and offered virtually no context whatsoever. Yet this means his career is mediocre?? Anyone that scratches even the tiniest bit below the surface will see that Ollie's career has been anything but mediocre.
Posted by: Swansea_Mariner, February 6, 2020, 5:01pm; Reply: 9
Jeez if you class IHs career as mediocre what does that mean for the crate full of managers we've  had managing us over the last 15 years.....
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, February 6, 2020, 5:03pm; Reply: 10
Yes it was rather ridiculous to appoint a football icon with 3 promotions at a higher level including the Premier league who would invest in the club and raise our profile.

If only we had appointed one of the other top managers that were queuing up to take us on, especially those with win ratios in the upper 80's.
Posted by: Teesknees, February 6, 2020, 5:06pm; Reply: 11

.....and several relegations too

I wouldn't mind if he relegated us from the Premiership!
Posted by: Les Brechin, February 6, 2020, 5:10pm; Reply: 12
Doesn't this belong on the " Negativity always rears it head" thread?
Posted by: grimsby pete, February 6, 2020, 5:13pm; Reply: 13
One of many things I like about Ollie is he does not confuse the player with endless tactics that the opposition might play.

When asked he said Bradford will do what they do I am not interested it's not my job , my job is to get my players to do what I want them to do.

A breathe of fresh air after the Jolley tactics I am sure the players are so much happier now.
Posted by: MeanwoodMariner, February 6, 2020, 5:29pm; Reply: 14
Those are decent stats. 1.36 points per game would be a solid top half finish, and he's averaging that over his whole career despite taking on some (at the time) basket case clubs, and also having time in the Premier League with struggling teams Blackpool and Palace.

Sheff Utd have won 9 of their 25 games this season and are 5th in the Premier. That's a 36% win ratio. Ollie's overall record is 36.1%.
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, February 6, 2020, 5:31pm; Reply: 15
A very large club with a top-flight pedigree would give hen's teeth for 2 promotions into the Premiership.

They have not managed one promotion in the last 17 years to the Prem!

You can prove anything with stats. Why not also include budgets v other clubs and which division he was managaing in?
Posted by: Patrick kavanagh, February 6, 2020, 5:45pm; Reply: 16
After reading your post, I logged in just to give you a red cross, best manager since Buckley MK1 and you have too find something/anything to undermine his record
Posted by: mimma, February 6, 2020, 5:46pm; Reply: 17
Taking Blackpool to the premier league was remarkable. A season in the premier league with Blackpool will distort his overall loss count.

When was the last time we had a manager that has managed in the top flight before ending up here?
Posted by: RonMariner, February 6, 2020, 5:47pm; Reply: 18
FFS
Posted by: jamesgtfc, February 6, 2020, 6:01pm; Reply: 19
Look beyond the numbers. Jim Bentley had a 28% win rate at Morecambe but many consider his achievements there to be excellent.

Sheffield United mentioned above but in our league, 6th place Colchester have won 38.7% of their games this season.
Posted by: oochiad, February 6, 2020, 6:17pm; Reply: 20
what a sharp object you are.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, February 6, 2020, 6:17pm; Reply: 21
You can prove anything with statistics.

Hurst had a 49.5% win record at Grimsby but it took him 6 years to achieve what he was appointed to do.

It ain't just how many you win it's who you beat and when you beat 'em.
Posted by: Rik e B, February 6, 2020, 6:24pm; Reply: 22
OP:

[img]https://i.imgur.com/kqPpNKi.jpg[/img]
Posted by: Squinter, February 6, 2020, 6:29pm; Reply: 23
If you're going to post blind statistics like that you need to put additional data for a comparison.  Get back Wiki again and check some other managers records to compare.

I've done one for you.  Gareth Southgate at Middlesborough win rate of 29.8%.   Can't remember what he's doing now 😉
Posted by: Rik e B, February 6, 2020, 6:32pm; Reply: 24
And in what division Ron, and what finances you have available compared to your rivals etc etc.

So stats can be very misleading. You could manage a perennial struggler just surviving in the Premiership  and have a pretty garbage win record but be a massive success relatively.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, February 6, 2020, 6:42pm; Reply: 25
Sean Dyche 37.3%
Alan Buckley 37.7%
Tony Pulis 36.1%
John Coleman 43%
Posted by: ginnywings, February 6, 2020, 6:43pm; Reply: 26
Wayne Burnett's jockstrap and Stevie Cammack, separated at birth. One appears as the other disappears.  :-/
Posted by: oochiad, February 6, 2020, 6:45pm; Reply: 27
My thoughts also Ginnywings, it has to be a troll........
Posted by: Bigdog, February 6, 2020, 7:00pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from Rik e B
And in what division Ron, and what finances you have available compared to your rivals etc etc.

So stats can be very misleading. You could manage a perennial struggler just surviving in the Premiership  and have a pretty garbage win record but be a massive success relatively.

You've just described Eddie Howe. I don't think there's a football fan on earth that would say that he's done anything other than a remarkable job at Bournemouth..
Posted by: cmackenzie4, February 6, 2020, 7:12pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from Patrick kavanagh
After reading your post, I logged in just to give you a red cross, best manager since Buckley MK1 and you have too find something/anything to undermine his record

Hi Pat, can you remember when I accidentally trapped your fingers in our door in Selge way? Hope you are well old friend 👍
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, February 6, 2020, 7:22pm; Reply: 30
Quoted from Rik e B

Exactly my point Rik. 49.5% mostly in the National League with a bloody good budget and crowds is the least you'd expect and 6 years to get up is a lot longer than you'd expect. But that win % looks good on a CV.

Is Daniel Farke a bad manager? His % has nosedived this season. Are Norwich fans calling for his head?
Posted by: Rik e B, February 6, 2020, 8:39pm; Reply: 31
Quoted from Bigdog

You've just described Eddie Howe. I don't think there's a football fan on earth that would say that he's done anything other than a remarkable job at Bournemouth..

Was gonna say Howe
Posted by: AndyGTFC, February 6, 2020, 8:41pm; Reply: 32
He’s had a very solid career. What do you expect him to have done?

If I look at Sir Alan’s stats on Wikipedia they are very similar, and he’s not been great away from here. But you’re not going to excrement on his career, are you? Course not. He’s a legend regardless. Managers that are around years and at unfashionable clubs will always have ups and downs.
Posted by: Patrick kavanagh, February 6, 2020, 8:48pm; Reply: 33
Quoted from cmackenzie4

Hi Pat, can you remember when I accidentally trapped your fingers in our door in Selge way? Hope you are well old friend 👍

Certainly can Chris, you're mum was in one of the neighbours, it was rather tender for a bit, hope you are keeping well mate
Posted by: WayneBurnettsJockstrap, February 6, 2020, 9:02pm; Reply: 34
Well I am very happy its all got you talking again about how good Ollie is.

Its amazing what can happen when you dangle a little carrot in front of the donkeys.  ;D
Posted by: Squinter, February 6, 2020, 9:20pm; Reply: 35

Its amazing what can happen when you dangle a little carrot in front of the donkeys.  ;D

Take your little carrot and Kleenex off to bed, you've got school in the morning.
Posted by: fishboyUTM, February 6, 2020, 9:27pm; Reply: 36
Absolute nonsense. I am incredibly pleased, delighted and amazed we have Ian Holloway as our manager. It is a hell of a coup for the club and the town. I don't doubt his commitment and I can't wait to see him progress our club. I love his interviews, his positivity and his ideas on how the game should be played, the attacking football, especially after the last couple of clowns who almost bored me to death.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, February 6, 2020, 9:58pm; Reply: 37

Well I’m sure you’ve had your fun tonight with your little carrot. Hopefully, you’ve done your homework and Mummy didn’t find the stains on your sheets.

In the interim, and in the absence of applications from Klopp and Guardiola, we’ll make do with Ollie.
Posted by: arryarryarry, February 6, 2020, 11:48pm; Reply: 38

Don't forget to keep a tissue handy, you don't want to mess your keyboard.
Posted by: WayneBurnettsJockstrap, February 7, 2020, 12:30am; Reply: 39
Quoted from ginnywings
Wayne Burnett's jockstrap and Stevie Cammack, separated at birth. One appears as the other disappears.  :-/

You think what you want. But you have no idea.
Posted by: PoutonStepover, February 7, 2020, 11:23am; Reply: 40
Dave Moore had a 50% win rate as Town manager, which is the best since Bill Shankly......
Posted by: 123614 (Guest), February 7, 2020, 5:00pm; Reply: 41
Quoted from PoutonStepover
Dave Moore had a 50% win rate as Town manager, which is the best since Bill Shankly......

But how many games was he manager for?

Posted by: Rik e B, February 7, 2020, 7:19pm; Reply: 42
Let's not let circumstances get in the way of a hood stat now.

BTW he's actually 37.14% as managed Scunny.
Print page generated: April 24, 2024, 11:48pm