Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: 1098 (Guest), February 3, 2020, 5:08pm
I just dont get this towns negativity. We have got ollie in who everyone loves and fenty has said enough is enough lets sort the ground and move forward. Who cares where the money is coming from it wont come from my pocket and if  Mr fenty doesnt deliver then say your piece coz your right!! I woke up yesterday with headlines in local rag of rape and getaway drivers, today this and it is so much better, what more do people want. We have ollie on board fenty moving forward on board and no doubt council and businesses on board.... Please folks embrace it and help push it along dont let ginger crest newts win again. We are finally winning for once stop effing moaning lets hange for the better. Positivity will always win over negativity
Posted by: Son of Cod, February 3, 2020, 5:14pm; Reply: 1
It's not negativity to ask a perfectly valid question though, is it? We currently don't know where the vast majority of £20M+ is coming from, without that there won't be a ground. You're confusing being realistic with being negative, in my opinion.
Posted by: 1098 (Guest), February 3, 2020, 5:14pm; Reply: 2
Quoted from 1098
I just dont get this towns negativity. We have got ollie in who everyone loves and fenty has said enough is enough lets sort the ground and move forward. Who cares where the money is coming from it wont come from my pocket and if  Mr fenty doesnt deliver then say your piece coz your right!! I woke up yesterday with headlines in local rag of rape and getaway drivers, today this and it is so much better, what more do people want. We have ollie on board fenty moving forward on board and no doubt council and businesses on board.... Please folks embrace it and help push it along dont let ginger crest newts win again. We are finally winning for once stop effing moaning lets change for the better. Positivity will always win over negativity

Posted by: gytone, February 3, 2020, 5:15pm; Reply: 3
Quoted from 1098
I just dont get this towns negativity. We have got ollie in who everyone loves and fenty has said enough is enough lets sort the ground and move forward. Who cares where the money is coming from it wont come from my pocket and if  Mr fenty doesnt deliver then say your piece coz your right!! I woke up yesterday with headlines in local rag of rape and getaway drivers, today this and it is so much better, what more do people want. We have ollie on board fenty moving forward on board and no doubt council and businesses on board.... Please folks embrace it and help push it along dont let ginger crest newts win again. We are finally winning for once stop effing moaning letschange for the better. Positivity will always win over negativity

I couldn't agree more, its the same with the Town regeneration deal, just get the bloody thing started and done, christ knows the Town needs regeneration and a new stadium and don't start going down the Great Coates, Peaks Parkway are the better options route, because we've been there abd they aren't the right locations for whatever reason.
So Freeman Street looks like being the only option suitable imo, it's absolutely the right place, so just get it done.
Posted by: mimma, February 3, 2020, 5:17pm; Reply: 4
Totally agree.

Some just moan for the sake of it and don't want to look at the positives.  Yes there will be obstacles to overcome but do you think for one minute he is saying things that he hasn't thought through first.

That's what Boris does!!
Posted by: 1098 (Guest), February 3, 2020, 5:18pm; Reply: 5
Just get in done there will never ever be a better chance
Posted by: crusty ole pie, February 3, 2020, 5:30pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from Son of Cod
It's not negativity to ask a perfectly valid question though, is it? We currently don't know where the vast majority of £20M+ is coming from, without that there won't be a ground. You're confusing being realistic with being negative, in my opinion.

This is not our problem let’s just get behind everyone to move everything forward for the first time in 20 years we have got positive vibes let’s embrace it and gives those who have the worry of raising the cash our full support UTMM
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, February 3, 2020, 5:50pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from Son of Cod

It is realistic to be cautious when we have heard so little about the Grimsby Deal regeneration launched in 2018 and featuring prominently the same Tom Shute who faIled to get a bid together for the club. But I hope this time we get it right, get the grants, get the investment and get it built. No more than the town and the East Marsh deserve.

Posted by: Kris2, February 3, 2020, 6:03pm; Reply: 8
Well some of us can remember all the build up,expectations and excitement that has been put out over and over to go nowhere. Turns you into a bit sceptical when all you get is talk and pretty drawings.  But I hope for the good of the town that it does happen, need to knock down more of Freemo and regenerate the area to make it a central hub and not a shithole. Why stop there? Make some changes to lines so we can get a straight line all the way to London, build new housing around the stadium and gentrify so new businesses move in and bring young professionals to the town as commuters so rent goes up and all the druggies and freaks have to move to Scunthorpe.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, February 3, 2020, 6:16pm; Reply: 9
I don’t see negativity, I see reality. Of course we want a new stadium but, one way or another, it’s got to be paid for. Just as Great Coates and PP would have been.
Posted by: 1098 (Guest), February 3, 2020, 6:29pm; Reply: 10
Its totally different great coates had so much opposition from so many people/factors. Peaks parkway was hated by many. Freemo is wanted by everyone, never known such a clean hymn sheet. Our kaiser is deputy of a council who can tick off a ground and help pay for it. Surely its not coincidence now that its for the first time everyones singing together. P. S we are talking bout freemo a place deprived but near everything a groun needs with everyone wanting it.
Posted by: moosey_club, February 3, 2020, 6:39pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from 1098
I just dont get this towns negativity. 1. We have got ollie in who everyone loves 2. and fenty has said enough is enough lets sort the ground and move forward. Who cares where the money is coming from it wont come from my pocket and if  Mr fenty doesnt deliver then say your piece coz your right!! I woke up yesterday with headlines in local rag of rape and getaway drivers, today this and it is so much better, what more do people want. We have ollie on board fenty moving forward on board and no doubt council and businesses on board.... Please folks embrace it and help push it along dont let ginger crest newts win again. We are finally winning for once stop effing moaning lets hange for the better. Positivity will always win over negativity

1, Do they ?
2. Which he has said twice before, last time he said it, at least 2 yrs ago,  he was pictured at the proposed site promising a move in date within 5 yrs i seem to think...whilst also loudly dismissing Freemo as unsuitable.

I hope that the Freeman St site comes off, to me it ticks so many boxes but given the track record then cautious optimism is the best you will get from a large section of support.
Posted by: crusty ole pie, February 3, 2020, 6:41pm; Reply: 12
I should imagine 10 million will be raised by the club in the form of grants, naming rights, sale of bp ect, the rest should be loaned by the council just like happened in Rotherham. Two summer concerts per year by big name artists will go a long way to repay that loan
Get it done UTMM
Posted by: 1098 (Guest), February 3, 2020, 6:54pm; Reply: 13
All im saying is AGAIN.  We have great news but people will rip it to shreds. If he doesnt build a ground your all right and i think most want to see it built. If he said no new ground we carry on there would be uproar. What do people want ffs tje main man wants to build a ground where most people do... But still people conjecture, if it doesnt happen now u know who to blame eh
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, February 3, 2020, 7:04pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from 1098
All im saying is AGAIN.  We have great news but people will rip it to shreds. If he doesnt build a ground your all right and i think most want to see it built. If he said no new ground we carry on there would be uproar. What do people want ffs tje main man wants to build a ground where most people do... But still people conjecture, if it doesnt happen now u know who to blame eh

Great news is when the funds are in place,the plans have been given approval and building firms engaged.

I think most if not all Town fans want this to happen and this is an encouraging statement of intent but we need to be convinced it will actually happen.

Posted by: Bigdog, February 3, 2020, 7:11pm; Reply: 15
I've got absolutely no qualms about SM and JF saddling the club with an unsustainable debt just to get the stadium built. Recklessness is just not in their nature. Where I am cautious though is the 20m plus figure bandied around for the stadium build. 20m doesn't get you much at all so we can forget about the wow factor. In fact 40m doesn't get you much either. a new pitch with drainage and heating costs the best part of 2m for a start. Brentford's new stadium is going to cost around 90m, so look at their pictures, it's not that amazing yet we're going to get nothing like that. We've been waiting so long that I'm resigned to having to look forward to any new bigger stadium that can take the club forward, but I don't think the GTFC board is packed with visionaries or experts on aesthetics, so I expect something functional and basic which will be much better than BP but still a distance away from the stadium of our dreams unfortunately..
Posted by: 137 (Guest), February 3, 2020, 7:12pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from 1098

Great news is a commodity which deteriorates with repetition. When fukcall happens...
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, February 3, 2020, 7:20pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from Bigdog
I've got absolutely no qualms about SM and JF saddling the club with an unsustainable debt just to get the stadium built. Recklessness is just not in their nature. Where I am cautious though is the 20m plus figure bandied around for the stadium build. 20m doesn't get you much at all so we can forget about the wow factor. In fact 40m doesn't get you much either. a new pitch with drainage and heating costs the best part of 2m for a start. Brentford's new stadium is going to cost around 90m, so look at their pictures, it's not that amazing yet we're going to get nothing like that. We've been waiting so long that I'm resigned to having to look forward to any new bigger stadium that can take the club forward, but I don't think the GTFC board is packed with visionaries or experts on aesthetics, so I expect something functional and basic which will be much better than BP but still a distance away from the stadium of our dreams unfortunately..

I think Rotherham was £20 million, albeit a while ago and a bit smaller.  I have never been but it looks good.

I share your worries but hope Ollie steers the board away from anything too basic!

Poor bloke has the Hope's and dreams of the entire fan base resting on his shoulders (Ollie)
Posted by: Marinerz93, February 3, 2020, 7:23pm; Reply: 18
Proof is in the pudding  ;)
Posted by: moosey_club, February 3, 2020, 7:24pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from 1098

Thats fine, you have swallowed the Freemo lure hook line and sinker, some people swallowed the great coates lure, some the PP lure, some the Docks lure.....see the doubters point ?
Again though just like a Hollywood producer, JF seems to bend the truth where it suits..."we have wasted two years because of Shutes"....no John....we have wasted over 15 yrs under your reign and endless promises about delivery.  JF within the last 12 months, maybe even 6 months ( i am sure ) still mentioned PP as being his site of choice,  despite there not being a single element in place to make it happen.  

He can't rewrite history, his views opinions etc regards the site are in print and on audio so now suddenly blaming Shutes for a delay is laughable when it was him pushing hard for PP and setting the parameters that ruled Freemo and every other site proposed out of the running.

I will gladly stop looking back when he has delivered. Until then i will remain as much a doubter as you are a believer. Right now the tide is on my side , lets see some bona fide plans, some agreements between the land holders, some hard planning applications, some guaranteed funding....not just hopeful words that it can be delivered in 3-5 yrs.

Posted by: grimsby pete, February 3, 2020, 7:57pm; Reply: 20
Does it matter to us fans where the money comes from ?

As long as the ground is built let the money men sort it out.

I would think if it's going to be a community stadium some of the money will come from the council. Some will come from grants that are available and the rest from the bank manager.

Please hurry up because I am getting on a bit and can not wait forever.
Posted by: ginnywings, February 3, 2020, 8:01pm; Reply: 21
I'm a natural skeptic and as with others, I'd like to know where the money is coming from, if not an enabling development.
Posted by: realist, February 3, 2020, 8:09pm; Reply: 22
Of course it matters where the money is coming from. The only reason we don’t have a ground was because there was no money to build it.
Great Coates was approved, Peakes Parkway site would have virtually been given to club. Freeman street will fail if Fenty can’t raise the cash. This town won’t support public money being used to build it.
Posted by: Stadium, February 3, 2020, 8:11pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from grimsby pete
Does it matter to us fans where the money comes from ?

As long as the ground is built let the money men sort it out.

I would think if it's going to be a community stadium some of the money will come from the council. Some will come from grants that are available and the rest from the bank manager.

Please hurry up because I am getting on a bit and can not wait forever.

If only if it was that simple.
It's totally right supporters should question the financial viability of the development.
It's obvious the club need new stadia but let's not bury our head in the sand.
Posted by: Stadium, February 3, 2020, 8:15pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from crusty ole pie
I should imagine 10 million will be raised by the club in the form of grants, naming rights, sale of bp ect, the rest should be loaned by the council just like happened in Rotherham. Two summer concerts per year by big name artists will go a long way to repay that loan
Get it done UTMM

Interesting you have just invented that figure or maybe you have evidence that those sort of amounts are available??
I believe Rotherham were loaned 5m,you are proposing twice that amount.
Laughable regarding concerts,Grimsby Auditorium can't attract any sort of bands never mind filling a stadium.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, February 3, 2020, 8:35pm; Reply: 25
Get it done UTMM

Rotherham is owned by a company - ADS Lighting which is owned by the Rotherham chairman who has invested at least £20m in the club since taking over in 2008. They bought the land for the stadium themselves. Not a reasonable comparison because much of the cash came through the company not the club.

York’s new stadium is still being constructed after about 17 years of plans and counter plans by the way.

Get it done? Yes we should. But don’t count any chickens just yet.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, February 3, 2020, 9:02pm; Reply: 26
Anyway, what did happen to Extreme Leisure? 🤔
Posted by: denni266, February 3, 2020, 9:04pm; Reply: 27
For the first time in years i feel the good vibes inside and outside of the club , And i am completley on bord  with things and how they are looking to go. But you still have to be a realist on some points, like where is the money comming from. Maby in time this will be told to us and things regarding this will become clear. But for now i am quite prepaired to go with the flow and accept we are starting to go places and will do my best not to get upset when things dont go to plan. Oh and like pete said hurry up with the new ground as for many of us older ones who grew up under the flood lights have started to have bits drop off and we would like to sit in the new ground before too many bits drop off and we are no more ;D
Posted by: Kris2, February 3, 2020, 9:12pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Or the free men and women of Grimsby. I'm still not even sure who that organisation is or what they do besides make cheesy videos.
Posted by: aldi_01, February 3, 2020, 9:26pm; Reply: 29
Always interesting that people mistake negativity and realism.

Given the previous twenty years, you’d be foolish not to be realistic and cautious when it comes to GTFC.

The thought of Day et al heading up a project team worries me and asking where the money will come from is a perfectly sensible question. That doesn’t mean people don’t believe the redevelopment is necessary or in fact are opposed to it.

I’m intrigued how the club will win over the council and convince them to stump up cash when it’s abundantly clear they don’t have a pot to urine in and there are wider developments that the vast majority of the town believe are more important. Convincing those will take time.

It’s consistent on here though, and that’s always good. The minute folk air on the side of caution people start condemning them as negative types, similar if folk get over excited they got shot down.

We just need to be realistic and hopefully see improvements on the pitch in the meanwhile...
Posted by: promotion plaice, February 3, 2020, 9:33pm; Reply: 30

I've never been but as others have said Rotherham's new ground looks good, I would be happy if we built the same or similar.

Nowt worse than having a stadium half empty, 12,000 is big enough for us in my opinion.

All the plans will be already drawn up so plans on the cheap and if we get the company that built it to do it for us they will have learnt from any problems building it.

Posted by: crusty ole pie, February 3, 2020, 9:35pm; Reply: 31
Quoted from Stadium

Interesting you have just invented that figure or maybe you have evidence that those sort of amounts are available??
I believe Rotherham were loaned 5m,you are proposing twice that amount.
Laughable regarding concerts,Grimsby Auditorium can't attract any sort of bands never mind filling a stadium.

Of course I invented the bloody numbers but if Rotherham who went bust how many times did it why can’t we. They also did it in a period of austerity and the shackles are now being released
And when was the last time we had a top gig at the auditorium and not just a bloody tribute band
Posted by: aldi_01, February 3, 2020, 9:42pm; Reply: 32
I don’t think the auditorium has anything to do with why they don’t attract many ‘big’ acts...more to do with your companies sticking to the same plan and routes...just look at the Wngine shed, decent venue that has held gigs of big bands but they struggle to lure bands away from Sheffield or Nottingham...
Posted by: Stadium, February 3, 2020, 9:50pm; Reply: 33

Of course I invented the bloody numbers but if Rotherham who went bust how many times did it why can’t we. They also did it in a period of austerity and the shackles are now being released
And when was the last time we had a top gig at the auditorium and not just a bloody tribute band

Ah right I see,just make figures up.
The post earlier explains Rotherham's situation,totally different.
The point about the auditorium was that its difficult to attract acts so don't assume an automatic income stream.

Posted by: Stadium, February 3, 2020, 9:53pm; Reply: 34
Quoted from aldi_01
I don’t think the auditorium has anything to do with why they don’t attract many ‘big’ acts...more to do with your companies sticking to the same plan and routes...just look at the Wngine shed, decent venue that has held gigs of big bands but they struggle to lure bands away from Sheffield or Nottingham...

Take a look at the engine's shed guide on what's coming up.
Or even Scunthorpe Bath's.
Both far ahead of here.
That's not to say a new venue wouldn't be able to attract promotors.
Posted by: moosey_club, February 3, 2020, 10:04pm; Reply: 35
Quoted from aldi_01

Just don't expect the Pet Shop Boys to play here following their last visit ..

Neil Tennant points out,  “I announced I was going to retire,” sighs Tennant, “when we played a half-empty venue in Grimsby on my birthday in 2002.”

;D
Posted by: aldi_01, February 3, 2020, 10:05pm; Reply: 36
Of course they are but equally, the engine shed in particular, they also have their fair share of shite.

The cost of running a venue has become expensive these days too.

I don’t think we should be thinking about using the stadium for gigs...if someone wants to, then it’s an option but it can’t form a serious part of the planning.

People making up figures about other clubs seems pointless though.

I’ll always revert back to my main point, the thought of Day heading up the project team worries me. The question about funding is sensible and ensuring we end up with a stadium that’s at least half decent is important.

Worry about the food or booze or a potential gig or whatever after we’ve eatabslihed what it will look like and where exactly, it will be built.
Posted by: gytone, February 3, 2020, 10:17pm; Reply: 37
Quoted from moosey_club

Just don't expect the Pet Shop Boys to play here following their last visit ..

Neil Tennant points out,  “I announced I was going to retire,” sighs Tennant, “when we played a half-empty venue in Grimsby on my birthday in 2002.”

;D

Wish they would bloody retire, fucki g shite 😉
Posted by: Stadium, February 3, 2020, 10:35pm; Reply: 38
Quoted from gytone

Left to their own devices they probably would.
Posted by: promotion plaice, February 3, 2020, 10:39pm; Reply: 39
Quoted from gytone

It's a sin they haven't retired by now   8)

Posted by: Bigdog, February 3, 2020, 10:49pm; Reply: 40
Quoted from aldi_01
Of course they are but equally, the engine shed in particular, they also have their fair share of shite.

The cost of running a venue has become expensive these days too.

I don’t think we should be thinking about using the stadium for gigs...if someone wants to, then it’s an option but it can’t form a serious part of the planning.

People making up figures about other clubs seems pointless though.

I’ll always revert back to my main point, the thought of Day heading up the project team worries me. The question about funding is sensible and ensuring we end up with a stadium that’s at least half decent is important.

Worry about the food or booze or a potential gig or whatever after we’ve eatabslihed what it will look like and where exactly, it will be built.

Me too. A solicitor, an accountant, a penny pinching fish merchant and a football manager as mad as a box of frogs in charge of setting out the first and lasting impression of our football club (the new stadium) for the next 100 years. The new stadium will represent who we are and where we're going as a football club to the public of NE Lincs and beyond, prospective managers and players for a lot longer than the lives of everyone who posts on here. It will define us and is so important to get right. Just another Doncaster or Rotherham stadium won't cut it in my opinion. We need to be bold and innovative. I remember a TV programme before Xmas. Britain's Best Home I think it was. The deserved winner of the whole competition amongst houses which cost millions to build was a unique design that cost 300k. That proves if we can get the right architect in with the right remit, we could get a better bang for our buck than I fear we'll end up with.

If the money's there, I'd quite like a smaller version of Brighton's stadium or a nod towards some of the innovative Nordic stadia but I think the ergonomics and aesthetics are going to be compromised by the funding necessity of it being a community stadium. Quite likely we'll end up with function over form rather than function and form..

If so, beggars can't be choosers and it will still be much better for the club than BP. Just praying that we end up with a stadium that will make people sit up and take notice..
Posted by: arryarryarry, February 3, 2020, 10:52pm; Reply: 41

Rotherham is owned by a company - ADS Lighting which is owned by the Rotherham chairman who has invested at least £20m in the club since taking over in 2008. They bought the land for the stadium themselves. Not a reasonable comparison because much of the cash came through the company not the club.

York’s new stadium is still being constructed after about 17 years of plans and counter plans by the way.

Get it done? Yes we should. But don’t count any chickens just yet.

Just about completed and may well hold a professional game either football or rugby before the end of this season so compare their time frame with ours. Ours is now unlikely to be built within 30 years of the official anouncement of moving to a new ground.

I think 76,962 just needs to calm down a bit I won't believe anything about a new ground until the diggers are in digging out the footings.
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, February 3, 2020, 10:56pm; Reply: 42
Quoted from Bigdog

Me too. A solicitor, an accountant, a penny pinching fish merchant and a football manager as mad as a box of frogs in charge of setting out the first and lasting impression of our football club (the new stadium) for the next 100 years. The new stadium will represent who we are and where we're going as a football club to the public of NE Lincs and beyond, prospective managers and players for a lot longer than the lives of everyone who posts on here. It will define us and is so important to get right. Just another Doncaster or Rotherham stadium won't cut it in my opinion. We need to be bold and innovative. I remember a TV programme before Xmas. Britain's Best Home I think it was. The deserved winner of the whole competition amongst houses which cost millions to build was a unique design that cost 300k. That proves if we can get the right architect in with the right remit, we could get a better bang for our buck than I fear we'll end up with.

If the money's there, I'd quite like a smaller version of Brighton's stadium or a nod towards some of the innovative Nordic stadia but I think the ergonomics and aesthetics are going to be compromised by the funding necessity of it being a community stadium. Quite likely we'll end up with function over form rather than function and form..

If so, beggars can't be choosers and it will still be much better for the club than BP. Just praying that we end up with a stadium that will make people sit up and take notice..

I certainly share your reservations but if we had a stadium like Rotherham I would be more than happy.

We will await detailed plans but I would be amazed and delighted if it matched their stadium but in glorious black and white.
Posted by: grimsby pete, February 3, 2020, 11:02pm; Reply: 43
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Slipped on a ski slope I think  ;)
Posted by: Rik e B, February 3, 2020, 11:13pm; Reply: 44
Not been to New York Stadium just wondering why lots of people laud it over other identikit stadia?

I think even Fenty said he'd like PP based on there way back when.
Posted by: Grim up north, February 3, 2020, 11:13pm; Reply: 45
I've been in Rotherhams and its miles better than Donnys and the other conventional stadiums as the one big main stand gives the appearance of a much larger stadium from the outside and a volume of noise from the home support. The tapered ends behind the goal still give you the chance to capitalise on catering for 4000 away fans should you advance up the league and play a decent club.
Posted by: Rik e B, February 3, 2020, 11:55pm; Reply: 46
Not gonna be drawn into fantasising over the finer details for the 800th time in the last quarter of a century but the biggest thing for me is that the place is conducive to creating an atmospheric cauldron that intimidating to opponents. Seats up as close as possible to pitch etc etc.

If New York Stadium better at that than the rest then clone it for all I care.

It'd be nice to have an architectural masterpiece and work of art that stands out but anything diverting from the most efficient methods means more pounds added. Those pounds quickly add up and if we wondering where the hell gonna get 20 million from its no use dreaming of something more fancy for 40, 60, 90.
Posted by: Meza, February 4, 2020, 12:14am; Reply: 47
I quite like Bournemouth's stadium, it always seems close to the pitch on MOTD.
Posted by: moosey_club, February 4, 2020, 8:06am; Reply: 48
Quoted from Bigdog

Me too. A solicitor, an accountant, a penny pinching fish merchant and a football manager as mad as a box of frogs in charge of setting out the first and lasting impression of our football club (the new stadium) for the next 100 years

Let them each design a stand.....
One will be neatly balanced,uniform, equal access and egress, bang on budget
One will be built to the highest standards with safe seating, no trip hazards, no sharp edges to maximise crowd safety to prevent injury claims..
One will be built out of upcycled fish boxes, pallets, driftwood, the old seating from Blundell Park all nailed together in a no nonsense way...
And the last would have an ice cream parlour, dog creche, metal detecting area, automatic turnstiles that close bang on 3p.m so don't be late but good acoustics and atmosphere..
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, February 4, 2020, 8:24am; Reply: 49
Quoted from moosey_club

Let them each design a stand.....
One will be neatly balanced,uniform, equal access and egress, bang on budget
One will be built to the highest standards with safe seating, no trip hazards, no sharp edges to maximise crowd safety to prevent injury claims..
One will be built out of upcycled fish boxes, pallets, driftwood, the old seating from Blundell Park all nailed together in a no nonsense way...
And the last would have an ice cream parlour, dog creche, metal detecting area, automatic turnstiles that close bang on 3p.m so don't be late but good acoustics and atmosphere..

Very good.  It's the Fenty stand version I fear the most.
Posted by: TAGG, February 4, 2020, 8:37am; Reply: 50
Quoted from Son of Cod

To be honest mate its not our worry where the 20+ mill is coming from just as long as it does come.
Lets get this done now, it been going on longer than Brexit.
IH has brought a breath of fresh into the club. Lets take advantage of this by getting behind the Fremo move.
Let be positive for the first time in years.
UTM
Posted by: codcheeky, February 4, 2020, 8:54am; Reply: 51

Very good.  It's the Fenty stand version I fear the most.

The away end?
Posted by: ska face, February 4, 2020, 9:07am; Reply: 52
Serious question - why doesn’t Fenty front the project £10m to get the ball rolling?

He’s an exceptionally wealthy individual with the club, and town’s, interests at heart and would stand to do well financially if it all worked out.

He doesn’t want to sell up now, so why not just stick it on the benign loans slate?
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, February 4, 2020, 10:37am; Reply: 53
Panic over. Philip Day says he has a meeting scheduled for next week with the council to discuss the matter, and is starting with a blank sheet of paper.

I don't think I will be seeing a new stadium before I pop my clogs.

I know its negative but goodwill alone isn't going to get a new £20 million plus stadium built. Grants take ages to prepare and process and God knows where the bulk of the money will come from even if we ever get to that stage.

A 3-5 year time span seems very optimistic.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, February 4, 2020, 10:53am; Reply: 54
Quoted from ska face
Serious question - why doesn’t Fenty front the project £10m to get the ball rolling?

He’s an exceptionally wealthy individual with the club, and town’s, interests at heart and would stand to do well financially if it all worked out.

He doesn’t want to sell up now, so why not just stick it on the benign loans slate?

Probably because he would have to resign as a councillor. Daft as it seems he may be more valuable to a project that has other strands to it than just a pro football ground by staying where he is and being the voice of the stadium where it matters the most.

Posted by: aldi_01, February 4, 2020, 11:00am; Reply: 55
Panic over. Philip Day says he has a meeting scheduled for next week with the council to discuss the matter, and is starting with a blank sheet of paper.

I don't think I will be seeing a new stadium before I pop my clogs.

I know its negative but goodwill alone isn't going to get a new £20 million plus stadium built. Grants take ages to prepare and process and God knows where the bulk of the money will come from even if we ever get to that stage.

A 3-5 year time span seems very optimistic.

This has been my concern throughout. Just where will that level of cash come from and I still worry about Day heading it up. I mean, this is the club that were taken in by Extreme...
Posted by: Civvy at last, February 4, 2020, 11:39am; Reply: 56
I would far rather Day be doing it than Marley.
Although I guess that’s not exactly a glowing recommendation 😕
Posted by: Caveman, February 4, 2020, 11:45am; Reply: 57
As an eighty-plus year old the main feature must be
ample and quick access to the Gents.

That, of course, is provided it's built in time !
Posted by: Ipswin, February 4, 2020, 12:00pm; Reply: 58
I think it's difficult for any of us who have been supporting Town for any length of time to be anything other than negative (about anything and everything connected to the club not just a new ground)

From defeat in my first ever match in 1958, through countless relegations, a near miss on promotion back to the old Division 1, Wembley defeats (and a Cardiff defeat I will never forget due to the circumstances surrounding it), good managers leaving (I know I'm probably on my own but I liked Lennie Lawrence), crap managers arriving, good players leaving (I know I'm definitely on my own but I liked Menno Willems) even more crap players arriving, it's hardly likely to inspire confidence and optimism.

Holloway looks a marvellous appointment, yes he is as mad as a box of frogs but he appears good for the club and the town generally however it's difficult to be 100% positive about that too. I'm waiting for him to fall out with John Fenty and also I want to see results rather than just good PR.

As for the new ground, great idea, great to hear John Fenty speaking so positively about it but there's no money, knowing GTFC it won't be the super all singing all dancing stadium we all want and it certainly won't be welcoming us all in 5 years time and anyone who believes that well good on you but prepare to be disappointed.
Posted by: mimma, February 4, 2020, 12:15pm; Reply: 59
Can't anybody give Fenty credit when he does get it right?

He got us Ollie, which for once is a managerial masterstroke, IMHO.m

The other thing he deserves credit for is steadying the club financially and not risking the club as Bury did.

Since financial prudence is his byword, I come to the conclusion that he has thought about financing the stadium and has a plan to deliver it without endangering the club and playing budget. He has been around businesses long enough to know what he is doing and I suspect he knows a thing or two about finance, which is a lot more than the financial experts on the Fishy.

One final point, whatever money we have to borrow, it will need a guarantor to secure it. Now who would that be?
Posted by: MuddyWaters, February 4, 2020, 12:28pm; Reply: 60
Quoted from Civvy at last
I would far rather Day be doing it than Marley.
Although I guess that’s not exactly a glowing recommendation 😕

A 69 year old retired solicitor versus a 67 year old retired accountant? Must be a close run thing!
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, February 4, 2020, 12:34pm; Reply: 61
Quoted from MuddyWaters

A 69 year old retired solicitor versus a 67 year old retired accountant? Must be a close run thing!

Any solicitor versus any accountant. Age has nothing to do with ability as somebody with your nom de plume should know well. ;)

Posted by: The_Laughing_Mariner, February 4, 2020, 12:37pm; Reply: 62
I quite like them, they are always on my mind
Posted by: aldi_01, February 4, 2020, 1:17pm; Reply: 63
Quoted from mimma
Can't anybody give Fenty credit when he does get it right?

He got us Ollie, which for once is a managerial masterstroke, IMHO.m

The other thing he deserves credit for is steadying the club financially and not risking the club as Bury did.

Since financial prudence is his byword, I come to the conclusion that he has thought about financing the stadium and has a plan to deliver it without endangering the club and playing budget. He has been around businesses long enough to know what he is doing and I suspect he knows a thing or two about finance, which is a lot more than the financial experts on the Fishy.

One final point, whatever money we have to borrow, it will need a guarantor to secure it. Now who would that be?

I don’t think anyone is actually having a dig though are they.

I mean, I’d be the first to jump on that train but actually, those accused of being negative are just being realistic.

The questions that have been asked and continue to be asked are valid and show that actually, Honest John isn’t the only person who worries about the future of the club.

Day heading up any of this has rightly caused some anxiety amongst fans and the question of financing such a project will remain until it’s pretty much finished, may be even beyond.

I think far more have praised the appointment of Holloway than have been dismissive or cautious but fact is, we can try and justify that Fenty has been a shrewd businessman or kept the club afloat or anything else but after the previous twenty years, anyone not even slightly concerned or cautious will no doubt be the minority.

We all agree to the fact the club needs a new stadium and we’re all pretty much in agreement that Freemo is the ideal place but people are just not getting too carried away.
Posted by: StaffsMariner, February 4, 2020, 2:29pm; Reply: 64
One step at a time guys. We dont have to worry about where the funds will come from, the board do.
Lets enjoy the rest of the season as it pans out rather than worry about things beyond our control.
Posted by: Rik e B, February 4, 2020, 2:54pm; Reply: 65
Yeah not heard much negativity, just realism and a lingering doubt after being let down so many times before.

You can understand some quarters being a little but cynical when Fenty goes off on one of his soundbites... And especially laying the blame for the non-progress at phantom investors.
Posted by: MarinerMal, February 5, 2020, 12:59pm; Reply: 66
I'm sorry but negativity mean less than nothing to me.

::)
Posted by: rancido, February 5, 2020, 1:26pm; Reply: 67
Quoted from Rik e B
Yeah not heard much negativity, just realism and a lingering doubt after being let down so many times before.

You can understand some quarters being a little but cynical when Fenty goes off on one of his soundbites... And especially laying the blame for the non-progress at phantom investors.

I wasn't aware that the proposed Shute takeover was a "phantom" offer and not legitimate. No wonder they couldn't make the January deadline if it never existed in the first place.
Posted by: Civvy at last, February 5, 2020, 2:25pm; Reply: 68
Quoted from rancido

I wasn't aware that the proposed Shute takeover was a "phantom" offer and not legitimate. No wonder they couldn't make the January deadline if it never existed in the first place.

Apparently some of the towns U18 squad caught up with him. They ripped his face mask off and it turns out he was the caretaker from BP.

He would have gotten away with it if it wasn’t for those pesky kids !!
Posted by: golfer, February 5, 2020, 3:52pm; Reply: 69
Have just had a go on the Lottery and if it comes up I will give the £20million myself,  The numbers are 58 59 60 61 62 63
Posted by: Grantham_Mariner, February 5, 2020, 6:43pm; Reply: 70
Quoted from golfer
Have just had a go on the Lottery and if it comes up I will give the £20million myself,  The numbers are 58 59 60 61 62 63

Their my numbers as well !  I should have a few thousands left to help out of my share after Mrs Grantham Mariner has allocated the rest!   ;D ;D ;D
Print page generated: April 19, 2024, 8:58am