Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Hagrid, February 3, 2020, 2:21pm
Sack Bowyer.
Posted by: Grantham_Mariner, February 3, 2020, 2:23pm; Reply: 1
Quoted from Hagrid
Sack Bowyer.

They are supposed to wait until after they play us!    ;D ;D ;D
Posted by: Grantham_Mariner, February 3, 2020, 2:23pm; Reply: 2
Stupid time to get rid, just after the window closes!
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, February 3, 2020, 2:25pm; Reply: 3
balderdash. Would have preferred them to hold on until Saturday!
Posted by: Heisenberg, February 3, 2020, 2:38pm; Reply: 4
Quoted from Grantham_Mariner

They are supposed to wait until after they play us!    ;D ;D ;D

The Grimsby Reaper has never been quite THIS pro-active!
Posted by: Civvy at last, February 3, 2020, 2:44pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from Heisenberg

It’s the ‘Holloway’ effect  ;)
Posted by: marinerdazza, February 3, 2020, 2:45pm; Reply: 6
It didn't help Scunny on Saturday.
Posted by: Bradford Mariner, February 3, 2020, 3:21pm; Reply: 7
The strong rumour from Bradford is Warnock is favourite.
Posted by: buckstown, February 3, 2020, 3:35pm; Reply: 8
That's a real shame, would have preferred them to have waited until next Monday.
Lots of talk on their forum about finance issues, hence the sale of Doyle and Vaughan. Not sure if Warnock would go there unless he had some money guarantees
Posted by: Abdul19, February 3, 2020, 3:39pm; Reply: 9
That wouldn't be an issue though if he only signed until the end of the season.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, February 3, 2020, 3:50pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from Bradford Mariner
The strong rumour from Bradford is Warnock is favourite.

I would say that is quite a possibility.

Posted by: grimps, February 3, 2020, 4:57pm; Reply: 11
Have we sold all our tickets yet ?
If they get Warnock in before our game I reckon there will be a big crowd
Posted by: crusty ole pie, February 3, 2020, 7:06pm; Reply: 12
At least Ollie will not be telling us off for singing the sack song
Posted by: livosnose, February 3, 2020, 7:34pm; Reply: 13

I would say that is quite a possibility.

I've heard its McCall again ! ( I always think of him falling off the roof of that van)
Posted by: Rik e B, February 4, 2020, 5:24am; Reply: 14
Quoted from Heisenberg

They couldn't bear to face the indignity so ended it before  the inevitable.
Posted by: aldi_01, February 4, 2020, 7:45am; Reply: 15
Haven’t they fundamentally, as most clubs to be fair, been in financial trouble?

Wasn’t it proven that the super cheap season tickets didn’t actually help? Yes it put bums on seats but it didn’t generate much more income through sales of other things etc.

Interesting that he’s been sacked post transfer window, although the expectation was promotion so ya can see why they’ve gotten a little trigger happy.
Posted by: Biccys, February 4, 2020, 10:44am; Reply: 16
And McCall is installed for a third time. New manager bounce for the weekend?
Posted by: Abdul19, February 4, 2020, 10:56am; Reply: 17
(Not that) interestingly, when McCall's first managerial spell there ended, their next game was in February against us at Valley Parade.

(A classic Neil Woods solid away 0-0)
Posted by: moosey_club, February 4, 2020, 8:52pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from Biccys
And McCall is installed for a third time. New manager bounce for the weekend?

hopefully the only bounce he will deliver will be one like this  

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwih5cD54rjnAhUUi1wKHcnDBFQQyCkwAHoECAoQBA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DryKBnRP4Xlg&usg=AOvVaw2nCq9PgLgoxvattxIZDk6w

Posted by: arryarryarry, February 4, 2020, 9:30pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from Abdul19
(Not that) interestingly, when McCall's first managerial spell there ended, their next game was in February against us at Valley Parade.

I think putting the words 'A classic' and 'Neil Woods' in the same sentence is stretching it a bit.
Posted by: Abdul19, February 4, 2020, 9:50pm; Reply: 20
It was part of his legendary 20 league games without a win
Posted by: Poojah, February 4, 2020, 10:34pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from Abdul19

To be honest, Woods’ problem wasn’t so much losing games as not winning them. His loss ratio is is actually one of our best in the last 20 or 30 years.

Here’s a bit of trivia for you. Since Bill Shankly left in 1954, which permanent Town manager has lost the lowest percentage of his games in charge? Clue: it’s probably not who you’d think.
Posted by: moosey_club, February 4, 2020, 10:36pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from Poojah

To be honest, Woods’ problem wasn’t so much losing games as not winning them. His loss ratio is is actually one of our best in the last 20 or 30 years.

Here’s a bit of trivia for you. Since Bill Shankly left in 1954, which permanent Town manager has lost the lowest percentage of his games in charge? Clue: it’s probably not who you’d think.

Big E Bignot ?
Posted by: Maringer, February 4, 2020, 10:57pm; Reply: 23
That Woods team certainly found some creative ways to draw games they should have won and lose games they should have drawn.

Judging by recent revelations, probably something to do with double-vision or the DTs!
Posted by: Abdul19, February 4, 2020, 11:25pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from Poojah

Aye, the aforementioned Bradford game was one of a run of 7 draws in 8 away games (5 of them goalless).
Posted by: arryarryarry, February 4, 2020, 11:39pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from Abdul19

I remember the game unfortunately, bloody cold day and a crap match from both sides.
Posted by: Poojah, February 4, 2020, 11:43pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from arryarryarry

I remember the game unfortunately, bloody cold day and a crap match from both sides.

I was there, but I remember virtually nothing from the game. I actually thought we lost the game 1-0 after Rob Atkinson brought down Michael Boulding but it turns out that was actually the previous year and we lost 2-0.
Posted by: arryarryarry, February 4, 2020, 11:48pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from Abdul19

According to Soccerbase records It was 24 games without a win which included 1 FA Cup game (a loss at home to Bath City) and 1 JP Trophy game (away to Leeds) so 22 league games without a win.

The last win before that run was a JP Trophy game against Hartlepool and before that there were three League losses so taking it on League games alone it was a run of 25 games without a win. :-/

Posted by: Abdul19, February 4, 2020, 11:56pm; Reply: 28
I had in my head 25 league games (yep, it was) - but 5 Newell and 20 Woods (plus Woods had the 2 cup games mentioned)
Posted by: mimma, February 5, 2020, 12:58am; Reply: 29
Quoted from Poojah

I'll go for big Lawrie Mac
Posted by: promotion plaice, February 5, 2020, 1:54am; Reply: 30
Quoted from mimma

I'll go for big Lawrie Mac

Probably way off but I'll go for Dave Booth.

Posted by: IlkleyMariner, February 5, 2020, 8:02am; Reply: 31
Quoted from Poojah

John Cockerill
Posted by: golfer, February 5, 2020, 8:03am; Reply: 32
Mike Newell
Posted by: Abdul19, February 5, 2020, 8:06am; Reply: 33
Is it Neil Woods?!
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, February 5, 2020, 8:11am; Reply: 34
Russell "wash my mouth out" Slade..
Posted by: The Yard Dog, February 5, 2020, 8:12am; Reply: 35
Nicky Law, although he was not here for long, seem to remember Grovies having a hard time of it, as a manager.
Posted by: Madeleymariner, February 5, 2020, 8:20am; Reply: 36
Dave Moore
Posted by: Fishy clapper, February 5, 2020, 8:35am; Reply: 37
Graham Rodger
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, February 5, 2020, 11:50am; Reply: 38
Dave Moore
Posted by: dicko995, February 5, 2020, 11:57am; Reply: 39
Bobby Kennedy ?
Posted by: Son of Cod, February 5, 2020, 1:44pm; Reply: 40
Quoted from Abdul19

Quoted from arryarryarry

One of the most boring games of football I have ever had the misfortune of spending money on.
Posted by: Posh Harry, February 5, 2020, 3:57pm; Reply: 41
Quoted from Son of Cod

One of the most boring games of football I have ever had the misfortune of spending money on.

At least there was the walk back passed a few depressing looking streets and a number of retail parks back to the train station.

That was better than the game which was a shocker!!
Posted by: The_Laughing_Mariner, February 5, 2020, 4:18pm; Reply: 42
Paul Hurst
Posted by: bedders78, February 6, 2020, 12:36pm; Reply: 43
Anyone else still waiting for tickets through the post from general sale? I normally pick up from BP, so don't know how fine they cut it
Posted by: Son of Cod, February 6, 2020, 1:22pm; Reply: 44
Quoted from bedders78
Anyone else still waiting for tickets through the post from general sale? I normally pick up from BP, so don't know how fine they cut it

When did you order them? They usually come a few days after ordering whenever I've bought postal ones. Worth you ringing the ticket office today, because tomorrow is probably too late to sort out any problems if there's been a mix up. Did you get an e-mail confirmation too?
Posted by: gtfckyle, February 6, 2020, 1:46pm; Reply: 45
They say on thr phone they won't replace the tickets if lost in the post buy worth getting in touch with them.

I don't suppose anyone is coming along that has a spare I can buy on the day? (Ideally in the Dallas stand)

I can now make it and don't fancy paying 6 quid for special delivery!
Posted by: bedders78, February 6, 2020, 2:03pm; Reply: 46
Quoted from Son of Cod

When did you order them? They usually come a few days after ordering whenever I've bought postal ones. Worth you ringing the ticket office today, because tomorrow is probably too late to sort out any problems if there's been a mix up. Did you get an e-mail confirmation too?

Will do, didn't want to hassle them if it was normal. Money went out of my account last Friday, placed the order the first day of general sale as we needed 5 rather than the usual 4.
Posted by: norfuk mariner, February 6, 2020, 4:15pm; Reply: 47
Paid £2 for First Class signed for delivery for Colchester tickets and they arrived next day,
Posted by: bedders78, February 6, 2020, 4:52pm; Reply: 48
Turns out a Royal Mail ninja tried to deliver on the 31st, but was too stealthy to even leave a card
Posted by: queenybantam07, February 6, 2020, 7:22pm; Reply: 49
Well, this will be an interesting one. Prior to Bowyer being given his marching orders, I was debating whether to even attend this.

With McCall back, it’s created a bit of a much needed buzz around the place. Having been in the play-offs virtually all season, we have dropped out of the top seven having witnessed anti-football for the best part of 2-3 months - how we’re still in with a shout of promotion, just goes to show how poor this league really is. Our average  league standing is mainly due to our home form - which was the best in the league only 2 home games ago - losing twice at home all season. However, the manner in which we were losing/performing away was really beginning to take its tole.

We’ve off-loaded some bad apples in the Jan window, and brought in reasonable replacements.

GK: Richard O’Donnell

RB: Adam Henley
CB: Anthony O’connor
CB: Ben Richards-Everton
LB: Connor Wood

RW: Zeli Ismael/Dylan Connolly
CM: Jake Reeves
CM: Hope Akpan
LW: Jamie Devitt/Glenn Middleton

ST: Lee Novak
ST: Clayton Donaldson

The atmosphere should be decent. Crowd somewhere between 18,000-20,000.

I just hope for a decent performance, but a draw wouldn’t be a bad result.
Posted by: Les Brechin, February 7, 2020, 7:20am; Reply: 50
Quoted from queenybantam07

GK: Richard O’Donnell

RB: Adam Henley
CB: Anthony O’connor
CB: Ben Richards-Everton
LB: Connor Wood

RW: Zeli Ismael/Dylan Connolly
CM: Jake Reeves
CM: Hope Akpan
LW: Jamie Devitt/Glenn Middleton

ST: Lee Novak
ST: Clayton Donaldson

I'd forgotten all about Jamie Devitt being at Bradford now. Can be a bloody good player when he's got his head on.

Posted by: Abdul19, February 7, 2020, 9:37am; Reply: 51
I'd forgotten Richard O'Donnell was there too. The first GTFC player to make his debut in front of the Premier Sports cameras*.

*unverified
Posted by: queenybantam07, February 7, 2020, 1:21pm; Reply: 52
Quoted from Les Brechin

I'd forgotten all about Jamie Devitt being at Bradford now. Can be a bloody good player when he's got his head on.

Only just come back from injury, like the rest of the squad.
Posted by: Les Brechin, February 7, 2020, 3:39pm; Reply: 53
Quoted from queenybantam07

Only just come back from injury, like the rest of the squad.

I remember the league game at Accy Stanley towards the end of the season we were relegated. We still had an outside chance of staying up then but rather predictably we were 2-0 down at half time. We came out 2nd half though and Devitt inspired us to an amazing start when we scored 3 times in about 5 minutes.  Devitt himself got the 3rd and we won 3-2.

Shame it all counted for nothing at the end of the season though.
Print page generated: April 25, 2024, 1:22am