Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: scott_gtfc_89, February 1, 2020, 2:52pm
Deadlines not met by interested 2 parties,

Club now not for sale.

In club programme.

Thoughts?
Posted by: Alfie, February 1, 2020, 2:56pm; Reply: 1
Club now formally pursuing Freeman St. the bigger headline IMO and the right decision. No way could they seriously pursue a multimillion pound relocation project with takeover uncertainty in background
Posted by: grimsby pete, February 1, 2020, 3:00pm; Reply: 2
Not bothered now we have Ollie. (thumbup2)
Posted by: Heisenberg, February 1, 2020, 3:08pm; Reply: 3
Quoted from Alfie
Club now formally pursuing Freeman St. the bigger headline IMO and the right decision. No way could they seriously pursue a multimillion pound relocation project with takeover uncertainty in background

Nothing would give me greater pleasure than the club moving into a new ground at  and having a prosperous future, but the club haven’t got a pot to p#ss in. Without the takeover, it ain’t happening.
Posted by: Heisenberg, February 1, 2020, 3:09pm; Reply: 4
Quoted from Heisenberg

Nothing would give me greater pleasure than the club moving into a new ground at  and having a prosperous future, but the club haven’t got a pot to p#ss in. Without the takeover, it ain’t happening.

It meant to say Freemo, by the way....
Posted by: jimgtfc, February 1, 2020, 3:30pm; Reply: 5
Relocation > takeover
Posted by: cannylad68, February 1, 2020, 3:58pm; Reply: 6
What a surprise.
Posted by: TAGG, February 1, 2020, 4:18pm; Reply: 7
FFS
Posted by: jonnyboy82, February 1, 2020, 5:29pm; Reply: 8
Enabling development.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, February 1, 2020, 5:33pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from jonnyboy82
Enabling development.

Which will be......?
Posted by: aldi_01, February 1, 2020, 5:36pm; Reply: 10
Did anyone honestly think he was flipping off?

He’ll never sell...
Posted by: Swansea_Mariner, February 1, 2020, 5:46pm; Reply: 11
Its dissapointing forsure.
Posted by: WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP, February 1, 2020, 5:54pm; Reply: 12
If we've got clear signs that freeman street will be given the go ahead then I think that's much more important than who owns the club
Posted by: Stadium, February 1, 2020, 6:09pm; Reply: 13
If we've got clear signs that freeman street will be given the go ahead then I think that's much more important than who owns the club

The amount of backtracking since IH's appointment is staggering.
The position was that the development in any allocated area was dependent on a takeover or extra funds coming to the club wasn't it?

Posted by: KingstonMariner, February 1, 2020, 6:29pm; Reply: 14

How is it going to be paid for?
Posted by: Garth, February 1, 2020, 6:30pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from aldi_01
Did anyone honestly think he was flipping off?

He’ll never sell...

He'd better not, to tin pot chances anyway, sounds like we have had an escape
Posted by: KingstonMariner, February 1, 2020, 6:35pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from Garth

He'd better not, to tin pot chances anyway, sounds like we have had an escape

You know more about the Shutes bid than is in the public domain?
Posted by: mimma, February 1, 2020, 6:37pm; Reply: 17
Construction costs for Rotherhams new ground was £20 million. Grant's and funding is available. We get a mortgage for the rest. Not sure how we stand with regards buying the land or acquiring the leasehold.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, February 1, 2020, 6:42pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from mimma
Construction costs for Rotherhams new ground was £20 million. Grant's and funding is available. We get a mortgage for the rest. Not sure how we stand with regards buying the land or acquiring the leasehold.

Grants from who? What sort of money? £1m? £5m?
Posted by: crusty ole pie, February 1, 2020, 6:44pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from KingstonMariner

How is it going to be paid for?

Naming rights to stadium
Naming rights to 4 stands
Sale of bp
Grants
Bit of help from the council
Sell the Findus stand to a race course
Just for starters
Posted by: Stadium, February 1, 2020, 6:48pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from crusty ole pie

Naming rights to stadium
Sale of bp
Grants
Just for starters

Brilliant.
Posted by: headingly_mariner, February 1, 2020, 6:48pm; Reply: 21
This news is utterly horrifying. Look at the track record of the board.
Posted by: LH, February 1, 2020, 6:55pm; Reply: 22
I feel we are at a pivotal moment for the club given Mr Fenty’s programme notes today. I will admit I have been anti-Fenty and I can justify my reasons for this standpoint. There is a time where you have to get behind the leadership whoever that might be and go with them. I feel we are at this point now.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, February 1, 2020, 7:05pm; Reply: 23
Love that Ollie referred to JF as Squeaky in the post match interview! To me, it depends on whether you believe a new stadium is more important than new ownership, a change is needed but a stadium is imperative.
Posted by: codcheeky, February 1, 2020, 7:05pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from headingly_mariner
This news is utterly horrifying. Look at the track record of the board.

Fenty and the board have taken us to the lowest point since the club formed, if the last15 years doesn’t scream failure I’m not sure what does. There has never been a 15 year spell when we have been so poor, the history books don’t lie,  how any can defend his ineptitude is beyond me
Posted by: moosey_club, February 1, 2020, 7:16pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from LH
I feel we are at a pivotal moment for the club given Mr Fenty’s programme notes today. I will admit I have been anti-Fenty and I can justify my reasons for this standpoint. There is a time where you have to get behind the leadership whoever that might be and go with them. I feel we are at this point now.

I must admit when i opened the programme and saw " Notes from the non Chairman" page i groaned, reading the article i groaned , no takeover, club now pursuing Freeman St as its preferred option and Philip Day will be representing the club as JF has a conflict of interests.  
So yet again we are at a starting point, we dont own the land, we dont have funds to build, there are several other key stakeholders to satisfy, NELC ( admittedly easier now all Tory council & M.P's in power ), LHP and The Freeman.
The Freeman have already got plans in for some of the Freeman St land reducing the space available, we have lost at least a couple of years of planning where we could have been in with the Freeman prior to them already putting their plans in place but for someones insistance that PP was THE site.

Really dont know what to think, previous "move" history has shown that nothing will come of it so again i am sceptical.

The one bright spot from the article though, IH has been formally appointed to the board and IH will now be responsible for the direction of the club entirely and also be the spokesman.
Posted by: Cod Cheeks, February 1, 2020, 7:19pm; Reply: 26
I'm glad he's staying put
Posted by: MuddyWaters, February 1, 2020, 7:26pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from Cod Cheeks
I'm glad he's staying put

Maybe, maybe not. I’d just like to know what Chapman and Marley do to contribute.
Posted by: Stadium, February 1, 2020, 7:30pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Maybe, maybe not. I’d just like to know what Chapman and Marley do to contribute.

Intrigued to know the reasons behind your possible change of position over JF?
Is it just the appointment of IH or other reasons?
Lots of folks reversing on their previous positions.

Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, February 1, 2020, 7:34pm; Reply: 29
The game has changed with the arrival of Ollie. It may be that in a way we already have a change of ownership. So even board critics like me have to face a new reality.

This is not going to go away so best to shelve our Fenty Out banners for now and see what happens over the next 12 months eh?
Posted by: Limerick Mariner, February 1, 2020, 7:34pm; Reply: 30
Quoted from MuddyWaters
Love that Ollie referred to JF as Squeaky in the post match interview! To me, it depends on whether you believe a new stadium is more important than new ownership, a change is needed but a stadium is imperative.

A change of ownership will have no benefit whatsoever unless it delivered a new stadium.

If there are no potential buyers that have the demonstrable financial wherewithal better than the current owners then we are better with the current owners. My politics is not the same as JF's but as his party now runs absolutely everything in all of Lincolnshire there shouldn't be any political obstacles. If this lot can't deliver now then we've no chance with anyone else unless they had way more equity to inject.

Posted by: grimsby pete, February 1, 2020, 7:35pm; Reply: 31
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Marley does the accounts.

As anybody seen Chapman does he ever go to a game or board meeting ?

The board has got a new director who is forward thinking and is determined to leave a legacy.

Good old Ollie.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, February 1, 2020, 7:35pm; Reply: 32
Quoted from Stadium

Is it just the appointment of IH or other reasons/

For sure, IH has changed the dynamic. There’s a shift in the mentality around the place and Ollie is clearly here to make a difference. Given that JF is in a position to nudge the council in the right direction (though he might say he can’t!), I’d rather have him in charge than someone new who might not necessarily be have the same desire, which, however you feel about JF, he clearly has.
Posted by: LH, February 1, 2020, 7:36pm; Reply: 33
Quoted from Stadium

Is it just the appointment of IH or other reasons?

Because they’re not going anywhere (despite claiming they would) so from a supporter’s point of view it’s better to back them and their decisions than not. Freeman St the runaway leader in the best location stakes but as Moosey states the horse might have already bolted (although both blue and red councillors backed relocation previously - it was yellows who opposed). Hopefully minds can be changed and we can make the move.
Posted by: Stadium, February 1, 2020, 7:43pm; Reply: 34
Quoted from LH

Because they’re not going anywhere (despite claiming they would) so from a supporter’s point of view it’s better to back them and their decisions than not. Freeman St the runaway leader in the best location stakes but as Moosey states the horse might have already bolted (although both blue and red councillors backed relocation previously - it was yellows who opposed). Hopefully minds can be changed and we can make the move.

Will be interesting to see if everyone gets behind a substantiated move for the relocation then in regards to the board.
Posted by: headingly_mariner, February 1, 2020, 7:49pm; Reply: 35
Quoted from Stadium

Will be interesting to see if everyone gets behind a substantiated move for the relocation then in regards to he board.

The huge majority of people think Freeman Street is the ideal place for the ground.

Do people really have confidence in Fenty delivering it?
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, February 1, 2020, 7:56pm; Reply: 36
It is what is it, no amount of complaining, whinging smacking Fenty with a stick is going to change the situation ..
Personally we have 2 choices, put the animosity we have felt for the past 15 years to bed, leave it in the past and get behind the club or carry on complaining about JSF being at the helm while others around move forward..
I for one am now putting all the sh!te we have endured in recent years behind me, strapping in and enjoying this new wave of positivity..how the new stadium will be funded is an issue, just hope that's resolved asap and the board get the ball rolling.  
Posted by: ginnywings, February 1, 2020, 7:58pm; Reply: 37
Thing is, we have no choice but to trust that they finally get this one over the line. Think we have more chance now with all elements seemingly aligning. I'm just enjoying reconnecting with the club since the arrival of Olly and watching some football breaking out at BP.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, February 1, 2020, 8:18pm; Reply: 38
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Chapman may be able to help when we sell the Findus Stand to a racecourse.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, February 1, 2020, 8:21pm; Reply: 39
Quoted from jamesgtfc

Chapman may be able to help when we sell the Findus Stand to a racecourse.

It’s about five years since he had a winner! He’s had more F’s than a Jolley interview!
Posted by: HertsGTFC, February 1, 2020, 9:36pm; Reply: 40
If there is no takeover it’s right to take the club “off the market” as we’d never get a penny of regeneration funding for a move if it wasn’t clear who the owners would be going forward.

Now for the minute at least there isn’t going to be w big takeover and IH is adding a feel good factor on and off the pitch maybe we could attract a couple of “smaller” investors to the board who could add a few hundred grand and some expertise to move us towards Fresno at pace.
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, February 1, 2020, 10:14pm; Reply: 41
If there is to be no takeover, then the other route is further substantial investment to go alongside the current board.

In effect Ollie has become the takeover - the one person with the vision and expertise to see what we might become in 5 or 10 years.

We have to hope that further investors will come on board now that we are moving in the right direction with the most high profile manager we have had for decades, who seems determined to create a legacy.

I don't know where the millions will come from for the stadium though. Reading what Fenty said today, it seems we are right back at the beginning in reality. All good intentions, but where is the money going to come from bearing in mind even a modest community stadium will cost millions?

I was rather hoping that Ollie was privelege to more information about the stadium than has been made public which helped persuade him to come here, but reading todays piece it seems no nearer at all.  
Posted by: ginnywings, February 1, 2020, 10:26pm; Reply: 42
Roy "Chubby" Brown was in the ticket office today. Perhaps we could tap him up. The Chubby Pontoon  anyone?
Posted by: HertsGTFC, February 1, 2020, 10:26pm; Reply: 43
If there is to be no takeover, then the other route is further substantial investment to go alongside the current board.

In effect Ollie has become the takeover - the one person with the vision and expertise to see what we might become in 5 or 10 years.

We have to hope that further investors will come on board now that we are moving in the right direction with the most high profile manager we have had for decades, who seems determined to create a legacy.

I don't know where the millions will come from for the stadium though. Reading what Fenty said today, it seems we are right back at the beginning in reality. All good intentions, but where is the money going to come from bearing in mind even a modest community stadium will cost millions?

I was rather hoping that Ollie was privelege to more information about the stadium than has been made public which helped persuade him to come here, but reading todays piece it seems no nearer at all.  

You’d be amazed what falls under the heading of “suitable for an infrastructure regeneration grant” in the mind of the conservatives. Why support the NHS, address the housing shortage and provide subsidised adult care when you can build a football stadium? ........ as a tax payer I’ll still go though as I’ll feel like I’m a stake holder who has a share in the asset.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, February 1, 2020, 10:30pm; Reply: 44

I’d rather have the devil you know without the makeweights (Chapman and Marley) but with the Trust directors driving things along. Things can happen but need everyone pulling in the same direction. We are not back at square one, it’s not all finished, but FFS, let’s give it a go!
Posted by: Heisenberg, February 1, 2020, 11:05pm; Reply: 45
Quoted from ginnywings
Roy "Chubby" Brown was in the ticket office today. Perhaps we could tap him up. The Chubby Pontoon  anyone?

A ‘Boro fan, but yes, by all accounts goes to the odd town game as he lives in Tetney, I think.

Saw him once in Conisholme and couldn’t believe my eyes! Lots of people have told me he’s a really nice guy.
Posted by: aldi_01, February 1, 2020, 11:18pm; Reply: 46
Imagine a redevelop programme led by Marley and Day...Marley being a bloke who literally said ‘call your self a fan and you don’t know who I am’...seriously.

Since honest John took over he’s always claimed the club will remain up for sale...why take it off sale now.

So, in his words people couldn’t ‘prove funds’ what ever that means and haven’t met deadlines that mean nothing to them but mean everything to the club. Simple fact is, John needs them more than they need him...

To say we’re not up for sale is foolish given the reinvigorated atmosphere and interest in the club.

People are entitled to opinions and that’s what football is about but it’s impossible to get behind anything this current Board are involved with after they took us to the lowest position in our history...and have made countless mistakes...
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, February 2, 2020, 7:16am; Reply: 47
Quoted from aldi_01
Imagine a redevelop programme led by Marley and Day...Marley being a bloke who literally said ‘call your self a fan and you don’t know who I am’...seriously.

Since honest John took over he’s always claimed the club will remain up for sale...why take it off sale now.

So, in his words people couldn’t ‘prove funds’ what ever that means and haven’t met deadlines that mean nothing to them but mean everything to the club. Simple fact is, John needs them more than they need him...

To say we’re not up for sale is foolish given the reinvigorated atmosphere and interest in the club.

People are entitled to opinions and that’s what football is about but it’s impossible to get behind anything this current Board are involved with after they took us to the lowest position in our history...and have made countless mistakes...

Just to counter that, the board have shown immense incompetence in the running of the club, I will agree with that, mainly due to having no clue on how to run a football successfully.
They now have a new member on the board who knows exactly how the inner workings of a football club should run, if you listened to Holloway's ," at home with Colin Murray" he goes into how he was taught the financial side of a football club, what it takes to make it successful.
So, Holloway has not only come in to manage this team, he's come in to steer this club in the right direction.If Fenty and Co screw this opportunity up then there's no excuses and the club could well and truly be up the mire.....
Posted by: buckstown, February 2, 2020, 8:04am; Reply: 48
This is the first time in living memory that the club has appointed a "name" as manager and it's just possible that Olly has shown JF the light. If you're serious about getting your money back you have to make the product more saleable by investing in the team and infrastructure. That will generate more profit and make the club more attractive
Don't forget JF is a town fan and it's possible that Olly has enthused him as well as us. I can honestly see Olly at council meetings selling GTFC to them as a means to regenerate Grimsby as a whole. If they can do that they can create income to invest in other services as mentioned in an earlier post.
Posted by: TheRealJohnLewis, February 2, 2020, 9:18am; Reply: 49
The club has never been for sale, despite what JF has said the past if he had really wanted to sell he would have.  His ego will not let him sell until he HAS no other choice than to sell.  He loves the spotlight and everything as always been about him, he's even back in the Mariner magazine so he can show us how wonderful he is. He's only interested in his money and himself.

I think Holloway is amazing and will do well for this club, but his charm offensive does not mean I will forget the past 20 years of incompetence that Fenty has delivered!  Realistically how long will Holloway be here? 2-3 years and then we are back to living the Fenty dream!
Posted by: ska face, February 2, 2020, 9:20am; Reply: 50
Quoted from Northbank Mariner

Just to counter that, the board have shown immense incompetence in the running of the club, I will agree with that, mainly due to having no clue on how to run a football successfully.
They now have a new member on the board who knows exactly how the inner workings of a football club should run, if you listened to Holloway's ," at home with Colin Murray" he goes into how he was taught the financial side of a football club, what it takes to make it successful.
So, Holloway has not only come in to manage this team, he's come in to steer this club in the right direction.If Fenty and Co screw this opportunity up then there's no excuses and the club could well and truly be up the mire.....

So as well as being the manager, head of publicity and community engagement specialist, he’s expected to run the rest of the club as well? There are people at the club who’ve been doing the same job for 15, 20, 25 years - if they don’t know the inner workings of a football club by now we’re in more trouble than I thought.  

My big hope with Holloway on the board is that he looks around and takes the same approach with club officials as players - demonstrate your value or you’re out the door and we’ll replace you with someone who can move us forward. I’m not saying people have to work harder but the club overall has to work smarter if they want to keep this momentum.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, February 2, 2020, 9:59am; Reply: 51
Quoted from ska face

So as well as being the manager, head of publicity and community engagement specialist, he’s expected to run the rest of the club as well? There are people at the club who’ve been doing the same job for 15, 20, 25 years - if they don’t know the inner workings of a football club by now we’re in more trouble than I thought.  

My big hope with Holloway on the board is that he looks around and takes the same approach with club officials as players - demonstrate your value or you’re out the door and we’ll replace you with someone who can move us forward. I’m not saying people have to work harder but the club overall has to work smarter if they want to keep this momentum.

The overriding problem with GTFC is the stagnant situation with the club's facilities and if it needs John Fenty to be in charge to get a new stadium over the line, then so be it. Philip Day is clearly an intelligent bloke and is, apparently, more 'hands on' than JF is nowadays. With two trust directors now in situ, I can only hope that the club can now get to where it needs to be. On the pitch seems to be in better order, let's hope that we can improve off the pitch too.
Posted by: forza ivano, February 2, 2020, 10:21am; Reply: 52
I have it on good authority that all trust had been lost in both consortium with constant failures to come up with answers to questions and proof of funds. The second consortium were not v nice/ trustworthy people .holloway is not connected to either. The council are fully behind the Freeman st stadium, so we are pushing at an open door.
Posted by: Heisenberg, February 2, 2020, 10:31am; Reply: 53
Quoted from forza ivano
I have it on good authority that all trust had been lost in both consortium with constant failures to come up with answers to questions and proof of funds. The second consortium were not v nice/ trustworthy people .holloway is not connected to either. The council are fully behind the Freeman st stadium, so we are pushing at an open door.

The problem is, to go through that door there is an entry fee, and our pockets are empty......
Posted by: IlkleyMariner, February 2, 2020, 10:33am; Reply: 54
Quoted from forza ivano

Keep pushing. And get more certainty on scope of development, ownership, funding and timetable.
Think it's time to stop posturing and get some concrete both on paper and on the ground.

Posted by: GollyGTFC, February 2, 2020, 10:43am; Reply: 55
Sorry, but it's all rubbish. If Mr A.N. Millionaire makes Fenty an acceptable offer and has all the things in place that Shutes and Dodd were unwilling/unabled to provide then Fenty would sell the club tomorrow wherever we are in the new stadium project. A club like Grimsby is always for sale. Does anybody serious believe Fenty would refuse to even discuss a sale if an offer was made.

Yesterday's piece was just a well timed (for once) bit of PR. Everyone is happy for once and rowing in the same direction. Fenty has dangled a new stadium as a further bit of PR to abate those who still want him out.

Let's see how fast the new stadium happens? Given the site is already demolished there is very little to stop the project moving forward quickly. Plans and stadium design in place and contractor contract awarded by end of the June. Planning passed by end October (subject to appeals etc,,,), Start working on site February to March next year with 15 month time frame for completion. Open for start of 2022/23 season. Seems like quite a feasible time frame if we are really serious about building a new stadium. Worse case scenario a year longer if there are setbacks at stages of process.
Posted by: ska face, February 2, 2020, 10:48am; Reply: 56
You’re gonna be looking closer to 10 years on that site.
Posted by: Ipswin, February 2, 2020, 10:50am; Reply: 57
Quoted from ska face

So as well as being the manager, head of publicity and community engagement specialist, he’s expected to run the rest of the club as well?

I wish he'd just stick to managing and drop the publicity and community stuff never mind taking on anything else

The only thing that is going to take the club foreard gates-wise and therefore income-wise, good feeling in the community-wise, publicity-wise etc etc is winning games and therefore getting promotion. Entertaining 2-2 draws are OK but scrappy 1-0 wins are better
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, February 2, 2020, 11:52am; Reply: 58
People with money, influence and power usually like to leave a long-lasting legacy of their achievements (and ego).

A new stadium and/or town-centre fits into this.  Not sure where this takes us but decisions made on emotion rather than logic should not be ruled out.
Posted by: Mayaman, February 2, 2020, 11:56am; Reply: 59
The Holloway affect.  UTMM!!  
Posted by: Bigdog, February 2, 2020, 12:13pm; Reply: 60
To allay any fears of yet another false dawn regarding a new stadium and avoid any more prolonged conjecture, I'd like to think that the interested parties, GTFC, NELC, The Freemen Of Grimsby, architects and property developers could get their heads together and come up with a bare framework of a plan by the summer. Something the public of NE Lincs and the wider fanbase of GTFC can all get behind and buy into. If bringing the plan to reality requires public money flowing in from the Government to back up its election promise to the northern heartlands, then so be it. It's about time places like Grimsby get their fair share for once. An immediate outward impression of extreme urgency is required from the boardroom to capitalise on the initial feelgood factor that IH has brought with him.. he can't do it all on his own..
Posted by: Heisenberg, February 2, 2020, 1:04pm; Reply: 61
Quoted from GollyGTFC
Sorry, but it's all rubbish. If Mr A.N. Millionaire makes Fenty an acceptable offer and has all the things in place that Shutes and Dodd were unwilling/unabled to provide then Fenty would sell the club tomorrow wherever we are in the new stadium project. A club like Grimsby is always for sale. Does anybody serious believe Fenty would refuse to even discuss a sale if an offer was made.

Yesterday's piece was just a well timed (for once) bit of PR. Everyone is happy for once and rowing in the same direction. Fenty has dangled a new stadium as a further bit of PR to abate those who still want him out.

Let's see how fast the new stadium happens? Given the site is already demolished there is very little to stop the project moving forward quickly. Plans and stadium design in place and contractor contract awarded by end of the June. Planning passed by end October (subject to appeals etc,,,), Start working on site February to March next year with 15 month time frame for completion. Open for start of 2022/23 season. Seems like quite a feasible time frame if we are really serious about building a new stadium. Worse case scenario a year longer if there are setbacks at stages of process.

In general I would agree with that timeframe, but I don’t believe we even have the plans ready for submission. The first thing the club should do is have a public fans forum and ask the fans exactly what features any new ground should have. Then design it.

The problem with getting a contractor on board is they would do due diligence on the club and realise the money doesn’t exist.

If the council came up with the money, then the club would just be tenants, meaning future ability to make money would be limited.

What the club needs is money. The CLUB’S money. This would also be a relief to the council who are, by all accounts, also on their bare ar#e.
Posted by: Mayaman, February 2, 2020, 1:26pm; Reply: 62
I wish we could knock it up in 7 days like the Chinese are doing with their hospitals :)
Posted by: Ipswin, February 2, 2020, 1:53pm; Reply: 63
Quoted from Heisenberg

If the council came up with the money, then the club would just be tenants, meaning future ability to make money would be limited.

It works OK for Colchester (on worse gates than ours too) Don't forget how much you save on stadium upkeep etc

Posted by: Rik e B, February 2, 2020, 4:14pm; Reply: 64
I got a Russian oligarch here with 100 million he wants to pump straight into club. Not for sale? Okay I'll let him know.

🤔😉
Posted by: malkamalka, February 2, 2020, 4:21pm; Reply: 65
Has anybody else thought that getting a high profile Manager in could be a way of attracting buyers? I think GTFC has had more publicity in a month than at any time going back to the Bonetti/Laws Chicken fight.

This time though, it's all warm and good.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, February 2, 2020, 6:24pm; Reply: 66
Quoted from crusty ole pie

Naming rights to stadium
Sale of bp
Grants
Just for starters

Naming rights are not grants, neither are any of the others apart from ‘bit of help from the council’. Nor does it answer the question’how much?’
Posted by: KingstonMariner, February 2, 2020, 6:40pm; Reply: 67
Nothing will happen bar more months and years of talks unless someone finds Theresa May’s magic money tree. Has the council really got that much capital available to it it can pump millions into construction of a football ground? I’ll believe it when I see it.
Posted by: malkamalka, February 2, 2020, 6:54pm; Reply: 68
Nothing will happen bar more months and years of talks unless someone finds Theresa May’s magic money tree. Has the council really got that much capital available to it it can pump millions into construction of a football ground? I’ll believe it when I see it.

Maybe the club can get Johnson's ex on board to do the fundraising?

Apparently she has quite a head for that sort of thing  :o
Posted by: KingstonMariner, February 2, 2020, 7:06pm; Reply: 69
Quoted from malkamalka

Maybe the club can get Johnson's ex on board to do the fundraising?

Apparently she has quite a head for that sort of thing  :o

It’ll take ages with that method. I thought the going rate was a bottle of wine, going by that video that was doing the rounds the other month. 😆
Posted by: HertsGTFC, February 2, 2020, 7:58pm; Reply: 70
Quoted from Bigdog
To allay any fears of yet another false dawn regarding a new stadium and avoid any more prolonged conjecture, I'd like to think that the interested parties, GTFC, NELC, The Freemen Of Grimsby, architects and property developers could get their heads together and come up with a bare framework of a plan by the summer. Something the public of NE Lincs and the wider fanbase of GTFC can all get behind and buy into. If bringing the plan to reality requires public money flowing in from the Government to back up its election promise to the northern heartlands, then so be it. It's about time places like Grimsby get their fair share for once. An immediate outward impression of extreme urgency is required from the boardroom to capitalise on the initial feelgood factor that IH has brought with him.. he can't do it all on his own..

You missed out the most important enablers..... the financiers!

Building a few starter homes on the land that BP sits on won’t drive the revenues needed to relocate.

Still not clear where the what 20/30 million will come from for this.
Posted by: Rik e B, February 2, 2020, 8:10pm; Reply: 71
If it a 'community stadium' like the council allude to with other uses we can possibly tap into Government funding of which there already some we know about about and probably more with the 'levelling up' of investment in the North.
Posted by: Limerick Mariner, February 2, 2020, 9:44pm; Reply: 72
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
People with money, influence and power usually like to leave a long-lasting legacy of their achievements (and ego).

A new stadium and/or town-centre fits into this.  Not sure where this takes us but decisions made on emotion rather than logic should not be ruled out.

If Fenty delivers a stadium at Freemo all the excrement before will be forgiven, unless we do a Chesterfield or even, worse a Darlo. And provided it doesn't look like a Scunthorpe United subbuteo stadium...

We need a 5k seat posh stand with exec boxes and 200 place banquet / conferencing. A 4k seat away end to milk the yorkies for when we get back to Sheffield Wednesday's level. A 4k rail seat Pontoon that will be a mini-version of Dortmund's awesome home end and produce a wall of noise, and then a small 3k seat cheap stand down one side for now, which can have a second tier added once we reach the Premiership. I'm thinking that will be on the day Manchester United are relegated. It's 70 years since we played them and I've concluded we'll never play them in my lifetime...

Posted by: Bigdog, February 2, 2020, 9:48pm; Reply: 73
Quoted from HertsGTFC

You missed out the most important enablers..... the financiers!

Building a few starter homes on the land that BP sits on won’t drive the revenues needed to relocate.

Still not clear where the what 20/30 million will come from for this.

Purposely left out the perennial elephant in the room, private and enabling funding Herts. I know there's a massive black hole that doesn't tally with the bold claims coming from JF in a recent interview and now the programme notes too. Quite a bit of tongue in cheek with my original post and more of a challenge for JF to prove it's not hollow words yet again. Suddenly we've gone from a one in one out transfer window to making a 30m stadium appear financially. Really doesn't stack up does it? And unfair to raise fans hopes time and time again by someone who can't leave 2m in the club kitty for the greater good and publicly humiliate potential investors for not coming up with greater sums than he's ever put in himself and not expecting them to be paid back unlike what he's demanding for himself.

If JF can back up his big talk then it will be great for everyone and a feather in his cap, but I just can't see it unless Boris finds a covert way to chuck 30m the club's way or the board saddle the club with a huge bridging loan for years to come for it to own its own stadium. Only other way is for the council to come up with the funding/free enabling land.for the club which seems highly unlikely.

Call me cynical, but I still don't envisage sitting in a new stadium down Freemo in my lifetime and JF's words are just hot air yet again..
Posted by: KingstonMariner, February 2, 2020, 10:05pm; Reply: 74
Quoted from Bigdog

Purposely left out the perennial elephant in the room, private and enabling funding Herts. I know there's a massive black hole that doesn't tally with the bold claims coming from JF in a recent interview and now the programme notes too. Quite a bit of tongue in cheek with my original post and more of a challenge for JF to prove it's not hollow words yet again. Suddenly we've gone from a one in one out transfer window to making a 30m stadium appear financially. Really doesn't stack up does it? And unfair to raise fans hopes time and time again by someone who can't leave 2m in the club kitty for the greater good and publicly humiliate potential investors for not coming up with greater sums than he's ever put in himself and not expecting them to be paid back unlike what he's demanding for himself.

If JF can back up his big talk then it will be great for everyone and a feather in his cap, but I just can't see it unless Boris finds a covert way to chuck 30m the club's way or the board saddle the club with a huge bridging loan for years to come for it to own its own stadium. Only other way is for the council to come up with the funding/free enabling land.for the club which seems highly unlikely.

Call me cynical, but I still don't envisage sitting in a new stadium down Freemo in my lifetime and JF's words are just hot air yet again..

Yeah but that’s because you’re not with the programme of positivity. The money’s going to come from......somewhere. Like the ‘northern levelling up’ money which GTFC is a top priority for.
Posted by: ska face, February 2, 2020, 10:06pm; Reply: 75
Quoted from Rik e B
If it a 'community stadium' like the council allude to with other uses we can possibly tap into Government funding of which there already some we know about about and probably more with the 'levelling up' of investment in the North.

What’s that then?
Posted by: Bigdog, February 2, 2020, 10:14pm; Reply: 76

Yeah but that’s because you’re not with the programme of positivity. The money’s going to come from......somewhere. Like the ‘northern levelling up’ money which GTFC is a top priority for.

On the pitch I'm totally signed up to the programme Kingston. I'm not gullible enough to think that leopards can change their spots, IH can grow magic money trees or suddenly turn muppets into messiahs off the pitch though..
Posted by: MarinerDevil, February 2, 2020, 10:15pm; Reply: 77
Quoted from Ipswin

It works OK for Colchester (on worse gates than ours too) Don't forget how much you save on stadium upkeep etc

Colchester's owner has also sunk £22 million into the club since taking over in 2006 and they consistently lose money.  They moved into their new ground in 2008 and have gradually declined since.  

Moving into a new stadium would certainly be morale boosting and would be fantastic for the Freemo area if it kick-started regeneration, but there's no evidence that I can see that renting your main facilities does you any financial favours at all.  Coventry, Ipswich, West Ham, etc have not benefited from it.  Granted, Man City are an exception but they are backed by a state's wealth fund.   A 'community' stadium would also need to be multi-purpose and there might need to be compromises on design that might not result in the best football experience.  

I'm in favour of a new stadium as we badly need infrastructure improvements but unless there is some tangible benefit to be gained from it, I'd rather do up BP.
Posted by: Rik e B, February 2, 2020, 10:21pm; Reply: 78
Well Ska the Greater Grimsby Project I believe can be molded around the stadium to pay for what otherwise would be massive additional infrastructure costs and I'm sure council have alluded to being able to get hold of a bit.
Posted by: aldi_01, February 3, 2020, 8:00am; Reply: 79
Funding this is the biggest problem and question that nobody has ever asked, neither have we been given anything like a real explanation...instead people have been more concerned about what bloody food we’re gonna sell in this imaginary stadium.

I can’t see any large sums of cash coming from central government, whatever that buffoon claims. Nor does the council have much spare cash.

A community project can work, providing its done correctly and possibly with the deal that should the club wish to purchase after so many years, they can. City did something similar.

But ultimately, just how will the money be found. Not sure a few of us finding a tenner down the back of a settee will help...
Posted by: rancido, February 3, 2020, 12:28pm; Reply: 80
I've got no tangible proof but I'm convinced that something is going  on in the background and I think Ollie is involved in some way. To me it's no coincidence that JF appoints him manager on an 18 month contract and he then invests £100,000 in shares and joins the Board. Those shares are only of benefit to Ollie if the club prospers in some of way and not just on the field either.
Posted by: Rik e B, February 3, 2020, 2:13pm; Reply: 81
Ollie seems convinced something is afoot, and if he can stick around improving the team with his skills he will be riding the crest of a wave with the double-whammy of what's going on in the background.

Fenty has said very exciting times ahead with regards to relocation, all of Lincs Blue so funding easier etc. Let's forget Blue v Red arguments and just hope that the fact from national down to local all singing from the same hymn sheet it can be of benefit to us.
Posted by: The_Laughing_Mariner, February 3, 2020, 5:27pm; Reply: 82
Are there not more local elections in May?,  could the political make up of the council not change again?

Edit:   15/42 seats up for election, Now Brexit is done might the conservatives not do so well
Posted by: forza ivano, February 3, 2020, 11:04pm; Reply: 83
Quoted from rancido
I've got no tangible proof but I'm convinced that something is going  on in the background and I think Ollie is involved in some way. To me it's no coincidence that JF appoints him manager on an 18 month contract and he then invests £100,000 in shares and joins the Board. Those shares are only of benefit to Ollie if the club prospers in some of way and not just on the field either.

Unfortunately (maybe) I was told that there isn't anything going on, now that the 2 consortiums are out of the picture and no, Mr Holloway isn't involved with any consortium, it's just he's found a club where he can indulge his project ( don't think that's phrased very well, but hope you know what I mean)
Posted by: heppy88, February 3, 2020, 11:31pm; Reply: 84
27th May 2019 New council revealed NE Linc's council is 100 million pounds in debt. One hundred million pounds.
Fentydome is purely a Fenty pipe dream.
It's time to invest in BP and quick.
Print page generated: March 29, 2024, 9:40am