Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Stew0_0, January 31, 2020, 3:22pm
What is happening with our neighbours :)

Sacking the manager after a fallout with Swan and I think I can see why.

Swan is demanding a clear out so they cut their cloth accordingly, which they are continuing today with the sale of Lee Novak. Strong rumours of Matthew Lund and Kevin Van Veen leaving before 11pm tonight and seemingly no replacements being brought in. Hammill, Wootton gone and the loan players recalled.

Hurst stated that they only had 3 strikers on the books and with Novak leaving leaves them very weak up top.
I understand their need to cut the wage bill but they have to stay competitive also.

Might find that they could get drawn into a relegation battle

baffling but fun
Posted by: grimsby pete, January 31, 2020, 3:30pm; Reply: 1
According to Swan Hurst was told to cut the budget at the start of the season ,

At Christmas they had 5 more players not less .

Swan also said he can not talk about why he sacked Hurst so that was not the reason,

Going to talk to Peterborough might have sealed Hurst's future.
Posted by: Civvy at last, January 31, 2020, 3:38pm; Reply: 2
Quoted from Stew0_0

Swan is demanding a clear out so they cut their cloth accordingly, which they are continuing today with the sale of Lee Novak. Strong rumours of Matthew Lund and Kevin Van Veen leaving before 11pm tonight and seemingly no replacements being brought in. Hammill, Wootton gone and the loan players recalled.

Hurst stated that they only had 3 strikers on the books and with Novak leaving leaves them very weak up top.
I understand their need to cut the wage bill but they have to stay competitive also.

baffling but fun

Well I have to be honest and say that their demise is certainly amusing.  But I would still much rather Stevenage go out of the league myself.
Maybe next year though Scunny  :)
Posted by: Poojah, January 31, 2020, 3:48pm; Reply: 3
Sone seriously worrying quotes from Swan in this article (if you were a Scunny fan, of course):

https://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/scunthorpe-united-peter-swann-hurst-3797430

Irrespective of what we do, I think their era of superiority over us is at its end.
Posted by: ex-merseymariner, January 31, 2020, 4:02pm; Reply: 4
Quoted from Poojah
Sone seriously worrying quotes from Swan in this article (if you were a Scunny fan, of course):

https://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/scunthorpe-united-peter-swann-hurst-3797430

Irrespective of what we do, I think their era of superiority over us is at its end.

How poor is the local journalism that even when they take quotes direct from Radio Humberside, they manage to mess it up, by frequently attributing Swann quotes to Hurst in that article?!?!?!  Shocking.      I listened to Swann; apparently everything is Hurst's fault, Swann is far more intelligent than all the Scunny fans on Twitter and he cant say anything but its him who knows best........

Posted by: dapperz fun pub, January 31, 2020, 4:04pm; Reply: 5
[quote=491]Sone seriously worrying quotes from Swan in this article (if you were a Scunny fan, of course):

Irrespective of what we do, I think their era of superiority over us is at its end. [/quote
I think you’re right the cycle of football is moving in our favour regarding the Scunts I can see them non league very very soon
Posted by: Posh Harry, January 31, 2020, 4:06pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from Poojah

Era of superiority? Why how long has that been?

If only there was someone who could inform us 🤔.

Does seem to have gone strangely quiet on that front - and long may it continue

UTMM
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, January 31, 2020, 4:11pm; Reply: 7
They've been above us in the league but NEVER fu(king superior
Posted by: moosey_club, January 31, 2020, 4:34pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from Stew0_0

baffling but fun

Swan probably actually making a pure business decision...I imagine he feels with only 1 place up for relegation and Macc and Oldham looking very dodgy that regardless of how poor they are they will survive so may as well off load and cash in now to save budget for next seasons manager.
He realises chucking money at a plss poor supported club is not sustainable
Posted by: buckstown, January 31, 2020, 4:35pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from grimsby pete
According to Swan Hurst was told to cut the budget at the start of the season ,

At Christmas they had 5 more players not less .

Swan also said he can not talk about why he sacked Hurst so that was not the reason,

Going to talk to Peterborough might have sealed Hurst's future.

Have i missed something here? Why was Hurst talking to Peterborough?
Posted by: Mandy Dunnit vs Hettie, January 31, 2020, 4:37pm; Reply: 10

He realises chucking money at a plss poor supported club is not sustainable[/quote]

You’re right but it’s taken him long enough!
Posted by: Mayaman, January 31, 2020, 4:39pm; Reply: 11
I don't why people would want Scunny to go down.  Surely, we want to do the double over them next season.
Posted by: grimsby pete, January 31, 2020, 5:12pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from buckstown

Have i missed something here? Why was Hurst talking to Peterborough?

It's been on Facebook and Twitter that he went to speak to them about being their manager.

After speaking to Hurst they decided to stick with what they have got.😂
Posted by: MarshMariner, January 31, 2020, 5:25pm; Reply: 13
That seems out of character, did some ask Doig to confirm? ;)
Posted by: Marinerz93, January 31, 2020, 5:59pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from Mayaman
I don't why people would want Scunny to go down.  Surely, we want to do the double over them next season.

They can't house our away following, and I want them to go non league so they can earn the right to play in the league like we did. Still it would be funny when they drop into non league we may give them some bread crumbs by giving them a pre season friendly with a league club  ;D
Posted by: jamesgtfc, January 31, 2020, 6:09pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from grimsby pete

It's been on Facebook and Twitter that he went to speak to them about being their manager.

After speaking to Hurst they decided to stick with what they have got.😂

It must be true, it was on Facebook.
Posted by: Yoda, January 31, 2020, 6:28pm; Reply: 16
Scunny will be the next Bury.
It’s obvious his Mrs has shut her purse and now they are struggling big time.
They might stay up this year but next year they will go down or bankrupt.
Posted by: Heisenberg, January 31, 2020, 6:35pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from Yoda
Scunny will be the next Bury.
It’s obvious his Mrs has shut her purse and now they are struggling big time.
They might stay up this year but next year they will go down or bankrupt.

Could you sign a legally binding contract saying this? I’d very much appreciate it!

I definitely think them going down would redress the balance a bit - us and Lincoln endured a torrid time down there, they deserve their own stint in the abyss.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, January 31, 2020, 6:56pm; Reply: 18
The problem with Scunny is that the owner actually thinks he's bigger than the club.......... then again looking at them in reality the bloke who collects trolley in Asda probably is too.

In all seriousness small club, small gate and one rich ego maniac isn't recognized as sustainable model.  

Posted by: WesternMariner, January 31, 2020, 7:06pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from ex-merseymariner

How poor is the local journalism that even when they take quotes direct from Radio Humberside, they manage to mess it up, by frequently attributing Swann quotes to Hurst in that article?!?!?!  Shocking.      I listened to Swann; apparently everything is Hurst's fault, Swann is far more intelligent than all the Scunny fans on Twitter and he cant say anything but its him who knows best........

I can’t disagree with him about that - I’ve got a boil on my left buttock that’s more intelligent than most Scunny fans.
Posted by: Madeleymariner, January 31, 2020, 9:16pm; Reply: 20
Wants to get wage bill down but have signed 2 players today I think.  :-/
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, January 31, 2020, 10:23pm; Reply: 21
Lund gone to Rochdale...they're up the creek without a paddle by sounds if it.
Posted by: grimsby pete, January 31, 2020, 10:30pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from jamesgtfc

It must be true, it was on Facebook.

Depends on who put it on face book.
Posted by: Gaffer58, January 31, 2020, 10:56pm; Reply: 23
So they are signing players but have no manager, assume Mr Swann is picking the players, don’t understand why he bothers appointing a manager as he probably thinks h3 could do a better job himself.
Posted by: aldi_01, February 1, 2020, 8:27am; Reply: 24
I think this is the problem at Scunny and although it’s likely cost Hursty his job, and emery did earlier on in the season, ya can see why it’d urine you off.

Swann has previous for this sort of thing.

He’s also brought Wilcox back in for today...ya know, the other bloke he sacked...
Posted by: Heisenberg, February 1, 2020, 9:40am; Reply: 25
Quoted from Gaffer58
So they are signing players but have no manager, assume Mr Swann is picking the players, don’t understand why he bothers appointing a manager as he probably thinks h3 could do a better job himself.

That’s a real good point about managerless teams bringing in players, makes very little sense.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, February 1, 2020, 10:39am; Reply: 26
Quoted from Gaffer58

But how did he know the players he signed were available? Were they scouted by Hurst or by someone else or who? Players do not just appear out of thin air. Then when did he get the offers for Lund and his Dutch mate? Before Hurst went or after?

Posted by: 1mickylyons, February 1, 2020, 11:51am; Reply: 27
Unlike Town and Lincoln should the waltzer spinners go down again they will NEVER return.
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, February 1, 2020, 11:54am; Reply: 28
Quoted from 1mickylyons
Unlike Town and Lincoln should the waltzer spinners go down again they will NEVER return.

And I will have zero sympathy
Posted by: Marinerz93, February 1, 2020, 1:13pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from dapperz fun pub

And I will have zero sympathy

And I will probably buy myself a bottle of premium spirit of some sort and raise a toast to their demise beyond ever coming back into the league again.
Posted by: mariner83, February 1, 2020, 7:12pm; Reply: 30
There was an interview on RH a few months back Swann, where he was talking about signing players... I'm sure he said he preferred to pick the players rather than allowing the managers to.
Posted by: moosey_club, February 1, 2020, 7:25pm; Reply: 31
Another fantastic result today, Swan will definately get my vote for Chairman of the season if he keeps this going.
Posted by: Marinerz93, February 1, 2020, 7:38pm; Reply: 32
Seems to be a lot of calls for Swann to do one, that'll only get louder the closer they get to the trap door.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, February 1, 2020, 7:40pm; Reply: 33
Quoted from Marinerz93
Seems to be a lot of calls for Swann to do one, that'll only get louder the closer they get to the trap door.

Think Mrs Swann has cut his pocket money 😜
Posted by: rancido, February 2, 2020, 6:23pm; Reply: 34
Quoted from Marinerz93

And I will probably buy myself a bottle of premium spirit of some sort and raise a toast to their demise beyond ever coming back into the league again.

We don't seem to agree on much Marinerz but I 'll drink to that.
Posted by: Marinerz93, February 2, 2020, 6:29pm; Reply: 35
Quoted from rancido

We don't seem to agree on much Marinerz but I 'll drink to that.

This is the great thing about the fishy at some point we find common ground and long may it continue, cheers to you good sir (wine)
Posted by: Rik e B, February 2, 2020, 11:09pm; Reply: 36
Yes that's true, let's all raise a glass 🍻
Print page generated: April 28, 2024, 4:14pm