Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, January 28, 2020, 7:04am
Been sentenced to 20 months prison for glassing someone in cleethorpes, apparently turned to drink after his football career was finished
Posted by: Les Brechin, January 28, 2020, 7:10am; Reply: 1
Was he the kid who went to Hull when he was 14/15?
Posted by: pizzzza, January 28, 2020, 7:20am; Reply: 2
Quoted from Les Brechin

Yeah, seem to remember we got 100k for him.
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, January 28, 2020, 7:22am; Reply: 3
Quoted from Les Brechin

Yes mate all over Grimsby live
Posted by: promotion plaice, January 28, 2020, 7:27am; Reply: 4

https://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/news/grimsby-news/grimsby-footballer-who-signed-100k-3782329
Posted by: aldi_01, January 28, 2020, 7:32am; Reply: 5
Interesting the way it says his career was cut short...surely it can only be cut short through injury...he was simply deemed not good enough. Hardly cut short, and to be fair, in reality, it never really began.

10 months in one of her majesty’s finest will either bring him down a peg or will start a cycle of return visits...
Posted by: Davec, January 28, 2020, 7:36am; Reply: 6
Apparently he had serious attitude problems, he had the "do you know who I am," attitude
Posted by: aldi_01, January 28, 2020, 7:41am; Reply: 7
My understanding is that that is very much the case. At the time a colleague worked for Man City, coaching and scouting their younger ages teams.

Had the pleasure of meeting the manager and back room staff etc at Hull City who he happened to be friends with from his own playing career...their view was very much that.

Some ability but the arrogance and attitude that was simply not accepted, coupled with average ability. I think it was soon after that they released him.

It’s as if some of these lads don’t realise that attitude is likely more important than ability. You can coach someone to improve but if they’re a helmet, that’s much harder to change...
Posted by: Abdul19, January 28, 2020, 8:12am; Reply: 8
I'm guessing we don't get a sell on for this?
Posted by: fiveallive, January 28, 2020, 8:24am; Reply: 9
He's another example of youth lad moving to soon when he should of stayed with us but I suppose Mike Newell played him at 15 in a friendly and the drinking culture Newell had at the club probably didn't help.
Posted by: cmackenzie4, January 28, 2020, 8:31am; Reply: 10
Throwing a glass in someone’s face (under any circumstances) is the lowest of the low, he deserves his time in prison.
Posted by: golfer, January 28, 2020, 8:57am; Reply: 11

And he's got previous - seems a right clever shite
Posted by: Bawmariner, January 28, 2020, 9:07am; Reply: 12
I don't think there was every anything anyone could have done for the guy. Think he was a year or two younger than me at the same primary school and even then he had a reputation. Think he set a fire alarm off or something. Seems he never grew up.
Posted by: Poojah, January 28, 2020, 9:13am; Reply: 13
Quoted from Abdul19
I'm guessing we don't get a sell on for this?

More like a cell on fee...
Posted by: Garth, January 28, 2020, 9:40am; Reply: 14
Quoted from fiveallive
He's another example of youth lad moving to soon when he should of stayed with us but I suppose Mike Newell played him at 15 in a friendly and the drinking culture Newell had at the club probably didn't help.

There's plenty of people around who can drink heavily but don't go around acting violently, its not the drink its the nasty streak that's there all the while fuelled by Dutch courage
Posted by: Abdul19, January 28, 2020, 9:49am; Reply: 15
Quoted from Poojah

More like a cell on fee...

;D 8)
Posted by: LH, January 28, 2020, 10:00am; Reply: 16
Quoted from Bawmariner
I don't think there was every anything anyone could have done for the guy. Think he was a year or two younger than me at the same primary school and even then he had a reputation. Think he set a fire alarm off or something. Seems he never grew up.

You know what they say: people who harm animals and set off fire alarms are likely to grow up to be psychopaths.
Posted by: promotion plaice, January 28, 2020, 10:08am; Reply: 17
Quoted from Bawmariner
Think he was a year or two younger than me at the same primary school and even then he had a reputation. Think he set a fire alarm off or something. Seems he never grew up.

My daughter was in the same class as him at Signhills, even at that young age I believe he was a colouful character.

Posted by: golfer, January 28, 2020, 10:31am; Reply: 18
Don't think I am allowed to say "birch the bastardd" nowadays so I wont
Posted by: Hagrid, January 28, 2020, 10:32am; Reply: 19
Telegraph article is a load of excrement. He didnt turn to booze. He’s always been like it, beat up his mrs and was convicted for that and then glased this fellow when he was on a suspended sentance. He’s had it coming a long time. But lazy journalism by the telegraph. Again
Posted by: Civvy at last, January 28, 2020, 10:37am; Reply: 20
With the stories I've heard about prisons, I wouldn't be surprised if he got pulled off at half time  ??)
Posted by: Kris2, January 28, 2020, 11:05am; Reply: 21
Just goes to show that even if you have the ability you need the pro attitude to go with it. Guess he got released by Hull in his teens and then failed to last long at a couple of local non league teams because of attitude problems. There are tons of lads with potential that end up like this.
Posted by: Civvy at last, January 28, 2020, 11:07am; Reply: 22
Quoted from Kris2
Just goes to show that even if you have the ability you need the pro attitude to go with it. Guess he got released by Hull in his teens and then failed to last long at a couple of local non league teams because of attitude problems. There are tons of lads with potential that end up like this.

It's more of a shame with Jack though as he is a 'local lad'  ;)
Posted by: Kris2, January 28, 2020, 11:09am; Reply: 23
Quoted from Hagrid
Telegraph article is a load of excrement. He didnt turn to booze. He’s always been like it, beat up his mrs and was convicted for that and then glased this fellow when he was on a suspended sentance. He’s had it coming a long time. But lazy journalism by the telegraph. Again

I'm going to assume that came from his own defence in court. It sounds better in court if they play it like he got depressed and turned to drink.

Quoted from Civvy at last

It's more of a shame with Jack though as he is a 'local lad'  ;)

And we know how many of those go on to do big things. He's no longer classed as a local lad though because he did the ultimate betrayal by going to Hull and got disowned. If he was still playing for us then all criticism wouldn't be allowed. Like how you suggest for a second that Harry Clifton made a mistake that cost us then somebody stares at you awkwardly 3 inches from your face yelling"HE'S ONE OF OUR OWWWWWN HE'S ONE OF OUR OWWWN HARRY CLIFTON IS ONE OF OUR OWN!"
Posted by: Civvy at last, January 28, 2020, 11:16am; Reply: 24
Quoted from Kris2

I'm going to assume that came from his own defence in court. It sounds better in court if they play it like he got depressed and turned to drink.

And we know how many of those go on to do big things. He's no longer classed as a local lad though because he did the ultimate betrayal by going to Hull and got disowned. If he was still playing for us then all criticism wouldn't be allowed. Like how you suggest for a second that Harry Clifton made a mistake that cost us then somebody stares at you awkwardly 3 inches from your face yelling"HE'S ONE OF OUR OWWWWWN HE'S ONE OF OUR OWWWN HARRY CLIFTON IS ONE OF OUR OWN!"

That was far far too easy  Shame on me  :B
Posted by: GtfcGarner, January 28, 2020, 11:22am; Reply: 25
Moved on loan to Hull for the season
Posted by: nightrider, January 28, 2020, 11:29am; Reply: 26
Interesting. Barlow senior is an awful bloke too so it must run in the family
Posted by: golfer, January 28, 2020, 11:41am; Reply: 27
Quoted from nightrider

Honest it wasn't me who said "Birch the bastardd"  sniff sniff
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, January 28, 2020, 11:42am; Reply: 28
Quoted from nightrider

But harsh, I know he's boring but he's penned a good tune or 2🤔🤔🙄
Posted by: aldi_01, January 28, 2020, 11:48am; Reply: 29
So essentially, what we can take from this is that he got lucky, was a little bit better with the ball at his feet than others but was simply a bit of a male private and instead of using football as an opportunity to develop and take the chances offered, he just carried on being a male private.

Wish I could see the face of his friendly cell mate when he tries to tell him he was a footballer😂😂😂
Posted by: 140381 (Guest), January 28, 2020, 11:53am; Reply: 30
Quoted from nightrider

It usually does...
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, January 28, 2020, 11:57am; Reply: 31
Quoted from nightrider

And the mother attacked a young referee in a game where her charming son was playing I’m told
Posted by: Youngy, January 28, 2020, 2:58pm; Reply: 32
Allegedly got sacked from Boston as he refused to play in a reserve game. Seem to remember he was slagging Grimsby players off on Twitter during the Chelsea game as well.
Posted by: Marinerz93, January 28, 2020, 4:51pm; Reply: 33
Has he drawn on his left eye brow with a sharpie, and with that surprised look on his face I guess he has found out what the 5p to 50p analogy is all about  ;D
Posted by: Rik e B, January 28, 2020, 4:55pm; Reply: 34
Sounds like a right sharp object. Deserves his sentence glassing someone is despicable. Glad we stole 100k for the loser before his true nature came out
Posted by: TonySmith, January 28, 2020, 5:08pm; Reply: 35
  No gloating from me on this. When someone has a talent which might have given them a good life but they can't rise above what they have been taught to be, I think that's quite sad. I guess your attitude really does determine your altitude. Maybe it's not too late for this young man to sort himself out.
Posted by: PoutonStepover, January 28, 2020, 5:46pm; Reply: 36
Quoted from nightrider

Yeah he went through a bad time drinking after Deirdre died.
Posted by: bawarmy, January 28, 2020, 8:18pm; Reply: 37
Quoted from nightrider

There are  also twin girls too,  guess what, they are shockers as well.
Nicknamed the Chucky twins.
Print page generated: May 6, 2024, 11:10am