Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Tinymariner, January 27, 2020, 9:37am
Did anyone else see that Grim Up North (GUN) Retro were selling a retro version of the Adidas shirt from the early 80's online. This was until complaints were made by certain unknown individuals and the small company has now withdrawn the sale. This company have a long history of making excellent retro shirts for the Sheffield teams, Barnsley and Doncaster. They recently decided to make a Grimsby one after much demand, and tbh it looked pretty good.
I'm just wondering how many people would be interested in this shirt if he was able to continue getting them made.
BTW he has had to shut down his website temporarily as he has been threatened with legal action.

Posted by: Civvy at last, January 27, 2020, 9:41am; Reply: 1
I’d be interested Tiny with one condition.

They must be able to retro my body as well so I could still get into a medium.  😕
Posted by: pizzzza, January 27, 2020, 11:35am; Reply: 2
Do we know anyone who has form in trying to get a website shut down?  ;)
Posted by: aldi_01, January 27, 2020, 3:18pm; Reply: 3
To be fair, whilst we could lay blame at certain folk, in this instance pressure can come from other parties too.

I know in the past that clubs like GTFC who have wanted to make retro kits have had to be careful which ones...the Adidas ones for example have to be different to the point where it wouldn’t be worth doing because Adidas own image rights etc.

Really complicated. That’s often why Copa shirts can be expensive because of those sorts of things.

Naturally, the Adidas kit is THE kit everyone wants to see reproduced but I can’t see it...
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, January 27, 2020, 3:33pm; Reply: 4
Quoted from pizzzza
Do we know anyone who has form in trying to get a website shut down?  ;)

Don't you mean deconstructing websites?

Posted by: dapperz fun pub, January 27, 2020, 4:12pm; Reply: 5
I’ve seen the top it looks quality wish I’d got one
Posted by: Heisenberg, January 27, 2020, 9:59pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from dapperz fun pub
I’ve seen the top it looks quality wish I’d got one

Have you seen the NISA one done recently by the club? Looks superb. Gutted I missed out on my size. Same story for the Food Town one as well.

The Adidas one would sell more than the new season releases.
Posted by: Grim up north, January 27, 2020, 10:32pm; Reply: 7
Don't know the tie in deal with the current kit maker but if they pulled off adidas to recreate it next season the sales would be huge.
I had this kit as a 12 year old and wish I'd kept it to be framed now.
Posted by: somersetmariner, January 28, 2020, 1:06am; Reply: 8
Quoted from Tinymariner
Did anyone else see that Grim Up North (GUN) Retro were selling a retro version of the Adidas shirt from the early 80's online. This was until complaints were made by certain unknown individuals and the small company has now withdrawn the sale. This company have a long history of making excellent retro shirts for the Sheffield teams, Barnsley and Doncaster. They recently decided to make a Grimsby one after much demand, and tbh it looked pretty good.
I'm just wondering how many people would be interested in this shirt if he was able to continue getting them made.
BTW he has had to shut down his website temporarily as he has been threatened with legal action.

Me ! I’d love one......
Posted by: Mayaman, January 28, 2020, 2:15am; Reply: 9
Replica shirts in England are exorbitant.    
Posted by: Rik e B, January 28, 2020, 4:01am; Reply: 10
Hopefully once the dust settles it can be agreed that their interactive site can reopen as 'The New Grim Up North' or something. That's usually how these kinda things pan out I'm guessing 😋
Posted by: Pogo, January 28, 2020, 4:41am; Reply: 11
Quoted from Tinymariner

I managed to order one last week.
I actually emailed grim up north lastnight after reading this post and they’ve assured me they haven’t been shut down and the website is undergoing some improvements.

Posted by: Ipswin, January 28, 2020, 7:53am; Reply: 12
Quoted from Pogo

I actually emailed grim up north lastnight after reading this post and they’ve assured me they haven’t been shut down and the website is undergoing some improvements.

Usual Fishy over reaction then
Posted by: Heisenberg, January 28, 2020, 8:52am; Reply: 13
Quoted from Ipswin

Google ‘Grim up north retro’ and check out their Twitter posts - definitely not an over reaction........
Posted by: Tinymariner, January 28, 2020, 9:04am; Reply: 14
Quoted from Ipswin

Nope, he tweeted the information first and has now deleted all tweets regarding the Town shirts.
Posted by: Heisenberg, January 28, 2020, 9:18am; Reply: 15
Quoted from Tinymariner

Nope, he tweeted the information first and has now deleted all tweets regarding the Town shirts.

The club have a tie up with Copa for these, so it’s not a surprise, just a shame. Maybe they were planning a Findus one with Copa?

It looks like the guy who’s done this has used official Adidas gear - do they have this basic design  as an off the shelf shirt template?
Posted by: Ipswin, January 28, 2020, 10:50am; Reply: 16
Quoted from Heisenberg

Google ‘Grim up north retro’ and check out their Twitter posts - definitely not an over reaction........

According to 'Pogo' the website has not been 'shut down' :-

[quote] I actually emailed grim up north lastnight after reading this post and they’ve assured me they haven’t been shut down and the website is undergoing some improvements.[quote]

Only 24 hours since a poster hinted (without mentioning any names of course) that the shut down might have been locally connected

Fishy over reaction

Posted by: Welwynmariner, January 28, 2020, 11:33pm; Reply: 17
There is an image if you google it which has an Adidas leaf logo and also other presumably trademarked material, including possibly the club badge.

Quite possibly the club might face action from Adidas if they allowed it to go ahead? Personally I preferred the Adidas leaf logo to the triangle thing they have now but probably the company wouldn't agree with me?
Posted by: GollyGTFC, January 29, 2020, 8:12am; Reply: 18
[img]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EPF6NtvUcAAgrZo.jpg[/img]
Posted by: Henryscat, January 29, 2020, 9:31am; Reply: 19
All sorts of trademark issues going on.

The firebird adidas logo and the town badge will both be registered trademarks and as such illegal to copy without permission.

Dare I say it even Findus in that font may be as well.

No matter where it’s come from he’s clearly has a cease and desist order and has taken the sensible option.
Posted by: davmariner, January 29, 2020, 11:59am; Reply: 20
Quoted from GollyGTFC
[img]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EPF6NtvUcAAgrZo.jpg[/img]

It’s a really nice shirt to be fair.
Posted by: GollyGTFC, January 29, 2020, 1:14pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from Henryscat
All sorts of trademark issues going on.

The firebird adidas logo and the town badge will both be registered trademarks and as such illegal to copy without permission.

Dare I say it even Findus in that font may be as well.

No matter where it’s come from he’s clearly has a cease and desist order and has taken the sensible option.

I don't think a UK cease and desist order holds much weight in Australia. And UK customs have probably got more to deal with than trying to intercept a handful of retro football shirts being shipped into the country.
Posted by: marinerdazza, January 29, 2020, 1:22pm; Reply: 22
Why is Australia relevant?
Posted by: GollyGTFC, January 29, 2020, 3:47pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from marinerdazza
Why is Australia relevant?

That's where he's based isn't it? That's his eBay shop location anyway.
Posted by: GollyGTFC, January 29, 2020, 3:51pm; Reply: 24
[url=https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/gunretro66?_trksid=p2047675.l2559]eBay profile[/url]
Posted by: Tinymariner, January 29, 2020, 4:44pm; Reply: 25
Yeah they are sent from Australia, £28.99 plus £12.99 PP, Apparently  ;).
Posted by: Henryscat, January 29, 2020, 5:27pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from GollyGTFC

I don't think a UK cease and desist order holds much weight in Australia. And UK customs have probably got more to deal with than trying to intercept a handful of retro football shirts being shipped into the country.

Didn’t know he was based in Oz but the fact remains he’s infringing copyright. I don’t know much about the guy or his company but I wouldn’t be at all surprised if the larger companies (eg Adidas) employ people purely to scour the internet and shut guys like this down. If he’s done several other shirts then it might be that.

Like I say I don’t know the truth at all but there seemed to be an initial surge of people blaming the club when it’s more likely to have come from elsewhere.
Posted by: marinerdazza, January 29, 2020, 5:32pm; Reply: 27
Surprised he’s in Australia. Thought he was a relatively local, real fan, doing this for other real fans...

Whatever. If Adidas have gotten wind he won’t be selling them again.
Posted by: Henryscat, January 29, 2020, 5:35pm; Reply: 28
Having read his tweets I apologise and think it has come from within the club. We’re not the only ones though

https://twitter.com/up_grim/status/1115954884711313413?s=21
Print page generated: April 20, 2024, 1:08am