Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: It Bites, January 24, 2020, 4:25pm
I’m just after some help please . I’ve won some tickets for West Ham /Brighton next week and was wondering if any one stopped any where good when Town played orient ? Any help /advice would be appreciated
Posted by: mariner91, January 24, 2020, 4:33pm; Reply: 1
I think there’s a few decent hotels in London. Not sure though.
Posted by: marinerdazza, January 24, 2020, 4:37pm; Reply: 2
Try London Hotel on London Road. It's across from London Station.
Posted by: Les Brechin, January 24, 2020, 4:43pm; Reply: 3
Quoted from It Bites
I’m just after some help please . I’ve won some tickets for West Ham /Brighton next week and was wondering if any one stopped any where good when Town played orient ? Any help /advice would be appreciated

Sell the tickets and use the money to come to Blundell Park and see The Mighty Mariner against FGR.  ;)
Posted by: Poojah, January 24, 2020, 4:46pm; Reply: 4
Your best bet is to park down one of the side streets off Grimsby Road, get yerself to the Town game and forget about two meadiocre Premier League sides playing turgid football in a badly converted athletics stadium.
Posted by: LH, January 24, 2020, 4:51pm; Reply: 5
Was it the booby prize?
Posted by: It Bites, January 24, 2020, 4:53pm; Reply: 6
I should of known better than to think a Grimsby fan could see further than his / her nose end zzzzz
Posted by: Abdul19, January 24, 2020, 4:59pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from Les Brechin

Sell the tickets and use the money to come to Blundell Park and see The Mighty Mariner against FGR.  ;)

I'm not sure I fancy his chances  ;)
Posted by: Les Brechin, January 24, 2020, 5:04pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from It Bites
I should of known better than to think a Grimsby fan could see further than his / her nose end zzzzz

To be fair you did set yourself up there.

Asking for info about a West Ham game on a Grimsby Town site! You may as well have put an emoji on it saying "kick me".  ;D
Posted by: NorthseaMariner, January 24, 2020, 5:19pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from Poojah
Your best bet is to park down one of the side streets off Grimsby Road, get yerself to the Town game and forget about two meadiocre Premier League sides playing turgid football in a badly converted athletics stadium.

And remember as tax payers, we’re all paying West Ham’s bills.
😡
Posted by: davmariner, January 24, 2020, 5:55pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from It Bites

Well I was going to recommend a few things but now you can intercourse off.
Posted by: Civvy at last, January 24, 2020, 6:00pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from NorthseaMariner

And remember as tax payers, we’re all paying West Ham’s bills.
😡

As they remind us with their song.

You paid for our ground.
You paid for our grooooound
Except for the scousers
You paid for our ground.  

And that still makes me chuckle.
Posted by: Poojah, January 24, 2020, 6:33pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from It Bites

Why do you want to go though? I hate watching neutral football in the flesh personally. I’ve done a few corporate gigs through work and other than the píss up and a slap up meal I don’t particularly enjoy it, at least not the footballing side of the ‘experience’.

I remember quite a few years ago being at El Classico with work - a cushy little trip to Barcelona. That same day Town, under Mike Newell at the time, beat Shrewsbury 1-0 in our first win in months.

I swear 100% I’d have rather have been at BP that day than the Nou Camp.
Posted by: Rik e B, January 24, 2020, 7:00pm; Reply: 13
Good lad.
Posted by: It Bites, January 24, 2020, 7:22pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from Poojah

Why do you want to go though? I hate watching neutral football in the flesh personally. I’ve done a few corporate gigs through work and other than the píss up and a slap up meal I don’t particularly enjoy it, at least not the footballing side of the ‘experience’.

I remember quite a few years ago being at El Classico with work - a cushy little trip to Barcelona. That same day Town, under Mike Newell at the time, beat Shrewsbury 1-0 in our first win in months.

Good for you . Do you want a round of loyal applause ?
Posted by: Poojah, January 24, 2020, 7:28pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from It Bites

Good for you . Do you want a round of loyal applause ?

No, just sharing my perspective on watching football teams I have no affinity with when I could be watching the one that I do.

What is it about West Ham vs Brighton that excites you?
Posted by: livosnose, January 24, 2020, 7:30pm; Reply: 16
Off to London, no doubt. Go to London! I guarantee you'll either be mugged or not appreciated. Catch the train to London, stopping at Rejection, Disappointment, Backstabbing Central and Shattered Dreams Parkway. aha !
Posted by: Meza, January 24, 2020, 7:35pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from Poojah

No, just sharing my perspective on watching football teams I have no affinity with when I could be watching the one that I do.

it has to be the bubbles surely that's the only reason  ;D
Posted by: KingstonMariner, January 24, 2020, 7:44pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from Poojah

Nope. I’m not having that. No way! Ridiculous!!

It’s Camp Nou 😉
Posted by: Abdul19, January 24, 2020, 7:57pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from livosnose
Off to London, no doubt. Go to London! I guarantee you'll either be mugged or not appreciated. Catch the train to London, stopping at Rejection, Disappointment, Backstabbing Central and Shattered Dreams Parkway. aha !

Or as I spell it, S-H-I-T-H-O-L-E shithole.
Posted by: forza ivano, January 24, 2020, 9:02pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from It Bites

There's a little known site called Trip Advisor which may be able to give you some advice. Don't tell anyone else though, don't want the whole world knowing about this hidden gem of a website
Posted by: bawarmy, January 24, 2020, 11:50pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from It Bites

Jesus! What was the runner up prize
Posted by: Eastendmariner, January 25, 2020, 7:46am; Reply: 22
Dear It Bites  can't help but  to offer advice  often gone past the London Stadium on match day to trek North to see the Mighty Mariners  so there are budget hotels  in Stratford but with the date of the match very close the price may not be cheap  Very good transport links  and  parking AV at Westfield  Shopping  complex  Plenty of  places to eat and have a pint  at the shopping centre 10 mins walk from the ground . If you want a pub that has a Fans (West Ham )  The Black Bull on the high street which is nr the Town Hall and magistrates court then again  10-15 min walk . If your in the car there isn't really any  off street parking as it is all resident bays  Enjoy UTM  
Posted by: It Bites, January 25, 2020, 9:08am; Reply: 23
Quoted from Poojah

Experiencing something different excites me . You can’t stay in the cave all your life can you . Sometimes you have to venture south of Tetney
Posted by: aldi_01, January 25, 2020, 9:13am; Reply: 24
I love going to watch neutral football, I get that it sometimes lacks the passion of your own side but it’s such a different experience, especially at foreign games...which incidentally, even the non entity games are usually more atmospheric.

Having held a ST at an Italian club I found that it meant I embraced the culture a little more and would go in the the real fans so to speak.

It’s each to their own I guess but always good to try new things. Like the Genoa derby last year...was impossible not to get in to it with such an electric atmosphere and tifo etc.

Plenty of places to stay around West Ham and in Stratford although may be head in to central after for a better pub experience. A mate lived in Stratford for years, never seemed a great place for a beer...
Posted by: It Bites, January 25, 2020, 9:28am; Reply: 25
Quoted from aldi_01
I love going to watch neutral football, I get that it sometimes lacks the passion of your own side but it’s such a different experience, especially at foreign games...which incidentally, even the non entity games are usually more atmospheric.

Having held a ST at an Italian club I found that it meant I embraced the culture a little more and would go in the the real fans so to speak.

It’s each to their own I guess but always good to try new things. Like the Genoa derby last year...was impossible not to get in to it with such an electric atmosphere and tifo etc.

Plenty of places to stay around West Ham and in Stratford although may be head in to central after for a better pub experience. A mate lived in Stratford for years, never seemed a great place for a beer...

Thank you . My son and I love neutral games . 40 years supporting town of which the last 15 have been enough to test anyone’s patience has seen us seek our football fix elsewhere . Only a couple of time’s a season but we have seen some great teams and football . Anyone who thinks premier league football is sterile and boring obviously have never been to a live game
Posted by: aldi_01, January 25, 2020, 9:36am; Reply: 26
I just think that we love in a world now where accessing new things is so much simpler and cheap that you have to do it.

Take next week, £30flight, 24 hours in Milan and a game for £20 a ticket...

Naturally nothing is as good as watching town (verona playoff final was pretty special though and scars to prove it) but life is about new experiences...
Posted by: golfer, January 25, 2020, 12:12pm; Reply: 27
Westfield Shopping Centre -15 mins walk - Premier inn adjacent-across road from Stratford International
Posted by: Ipswin, January 25, 2020, 12:46pm; Reply: 28
Presumably the original poster won't get all this excrement when Town are away to West Ham in the Premier?

I like neutral games too especially in the Netherlands, Ajax is an amazing experience
Posted by: Withnail, January 25, 2020, 1:09pm; Reply: 29
As tempting as it is to be near the ground I'd steer well clear of Stratford.

I used to pass through on my commute to and from work - admittedly a few years back now - and let's just say it was "edgy".

I'd agree with Aldi - somewhere in central London would be better as there's not much (or there wasn't) in Stratford other than the stadium and that shopping complex.

I've stayed at the Jury's Inn in Holborn a couple of times in the last few years which is admittedly not cheap as chips but it's in a great location as walking distance to Soho/Covent Garden etc.
Print page generated: April 25, 2024, 2:31am