Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Poojah, January 22, 2020, 3:26pm
Interesting piece on him on the BBC here:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51200953

Talk of him becoming number one not only for England but also potentially replacing David De Gea at United. Plus one very bold quote from Chris Wilder who is clearly no mug:

"If there is a better goalkeeper in the world at the moment I have not seen one. He has got a fabulous future.”

You could always tell the kid was special, but he’s done phenomenally well to achieve what he has so quickly - still only 22!  

[youtube]0hr1PMVjzSY[/youtube]
Posted by: supertown, January 22, 2020, 4:05pm; Reply: 1
Fantastic, we helped with his career
Posted by: Southwark Mariner, January 22, 2020, 4:13pm; Reply: 2
He'd already be playing for England if it wasn't for the injury received when he was thrown under that bus.
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, January 22, 2020, 5:12pm; Reply: 3
He kept Macca out of the side so he must be top-quality.
Posted by: blundellpork, January 22, 2020, 6:41pm; Reply: 4
He was way ahead of our level whilst on loan here and clear to most that he would be in the England squad one day. I count myself lucky to have had him at my club.
Posted by: smokey111, January 22, 2020, 6:58pm; Reply: 5
I wonder how Macca reflects on his hissy fit????
Posted by: PoutonStepover, January 23, 2020, 12:06am; Reply: 6
Quoted from smokey111
I wonder how Macca reflects on his hissy fit????

Can someone fill me in on this please? Ie what happened with Macca spitting his dummy out ect?

I was totally out of the Mariners scene 2004-2018 until my passion was reignited by my 6 year old son. We haven’t missed a home game since and only missed a handful of away games.
Posted by: Rik e B, January 23, 2020, 12:08am; Reply: 7
He wasn't happy at all about being dropped for a young kid and if my memory serves me right he put in a transfer request, which he later withdrew.
Posted by: Davec, January 23, 2020, 7:23am; Reply: 8
He did indeed hand in a transfer request and in his first game back against Luton after Henderson had gone back to United he ran over to Main Stand and confronted a fan in a fit of rage
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, January 23, 2020, 8:55am; Reply: 9
Really good keeper he seems to get a lot of abuse on the net ?
Posted by: PoutonStepover, January 23, 2020, 9:00am; Reply: 10
Quoted from Rik e B
He wasn't happy at all about being dropped for a young kid and if my memory serves me right he put in a transfer request, which he later withdrew.

I can understand him not being happy if Dean had been brought in as backup and then kept him out the team. Sounds like a good job he was recalled from his loan in the end as Macca is a solid keeper for us now!
Posted by: Pogo, January 23, 2020, 9:16am; Reply: 11
Quoted from Davec
He did indeed hand in a transfer request and in his first game back against Luton after Henderson had gone back to United he ran over to Main Stand and confronted a fan in a fit of rage

Saved a penalty in that game too !
Posted by: The_Laughing_Mariner, January 23, 2020, 10:30am; Reply: 12
Makes some high profile mistakes though, too many to be a top top keeper imo.
however he was good for us, I remember him coming out for and collecting a cross early on in the Boxing day game against Accy Stan.  The whole ground applauded, we'd not seen that for ages.
Posted by: TAGG, January 23, 2020, 10:35am; Reply: 13
Quoted from PoutonStepover

Can someone fill me in on this please? Ie what happened with Macca spitting his dummy out ect?

I was totally out of the Mariners scene 2004-2018 until my passion was reignited by my 6 year old son. We haven’t missed a home game since and only missed a handful of away games.

Great story.
Good on the lad
(yahoo)(yahoo)(yahoo)(yahoo)
Posted by: TAGG, January 23, 2020, 10:38am; Reply: 14
however he was good for us, I remember him coming out for and collecting a cross early on in the Boxing day game against Accy Stan.  The whole ground applauded, we'd not seen that for ages.

If you look at the England keepers we have at the moment they make a lot more mistakes than Henderson.
IMO he should be Englands Number 1
Posted by: Abdul19, January 23, 2020, 11:30am; Reply: 15
Quoted from PoutonStepover

I can understand him not being happy if Dean had been brought in as backup and then kept him out the team. Sounds like a good job he was recalled from his loan in the end as Macca is a solid keeper for us now!

It took 4 months for Henderson to get in the team. No-one's place should be guaranteed.
Posted by: Abdul19, January 23, 2020, 11:32am; Reply: 16

Aye, Liverpool springs to mind, but he's 22. Doesn't seem to let it get to him either. Even now, I'd rate him higher than Pickford and Pope.
Posted by: diehardmariner, January 23, 2020, 11:50am; Reply: 17
Yeah, I think removing any bias from my opinion, he's England's best goalkeeper at the minute for me.

I understand why Southgate goes for Pickford because of his distribution but Henderson is simply a better all-round 'keeper.  Hoping that he gets his chance in the next round of friendlies and pretty much forces himself into the No 1 shirt for the summer.

We really were lucky to have him and he still seems to have some affection for the club.  
Posted by: PoutonStepover, January 23, 2020, 12:02pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from diehardmariner
Yeah, I think removing any bias from my opinion, he's England's best goalkeeper at the minute for me.

I understand why Southgate goes for Pickford because of his distribution but Henderson is simply a better all-round 'keeper.  Hoping that he gets his chance in the next round of friendlies and pretty much forces himself into the No 1 shirt for the summer.

We really were lucky to have him and he still seems to have some affection for the club.  

Hopefully Pickford won’t hand in a transfer request 🤪

Posted by: mimma, January 23, 2020, 12:08pm; Reply: 19
The difference between the two is that Henderson commanded the area. The difference with him and the back four was noticeably better when defending. With Macca there's sometimes a mix up or they end up shouting at each other but with Deano they always seemed to know where they all where and what needed to be done. Being a goalkeeper these days is not just saving shots, it's organising the defence and distributing the ball better. That's where the big difference lies
Posted by: Civvy at last, January 23, 2020, 12:15pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from Rik e B

Macca wasn't happy at being dropped.  But he also wasn't happy as to how it was handled by Bignot.  I firmly believe that if Bignot was still here, Macca wouldn't be.

Posted by: smokey111, January 23, 2020, 12:33pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from Civvy at last

Macca wasn't happy at being dropped.  But he also wasn't happy it was handled by Bignot.  I firmly believe that if Bignot was still here, Macca wouldn't be.

I firmly believe that if Bignot was still here, we would have a playing squad of Dave Smith, Steve Wraith and maybe Fenty in goal.
Posted by: Posh Harry, January 23, 2020, 12:35pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from mimma
The difference between the two is that Henderson commanded the area. The difference with him and the back four was noticeably better when defending. With Macca there's sometimes a mix up or they end up shouting at each other but with Deano they always seemed to know where they all where and what needed to be done. Being a goalkeeper these days is not just saving shots, it's organising the defence and distributing the ball better. That's where the big difference lies

That’s what goalkeeping has always been about. Best exponent I have ever seen at this for town was Dave Beasant, by a country mile.
Posted by: Abdul19, January 23, 2020, 12:35pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from smokey111

I firmly believe that if Bignot was still here, we would have a playing squad of Dave Smith, Steve Wraith and maybe Fenty in goal.

And Gavin Gunning in midfield.
Posted by: Rik e B, January 23, 2020, 8:29pm; Reply: 24
Didn't the transfer request get cancelled pretty much when Bignot left?

Im not privvy to how it was handled but to be fair to Bignob, Hursty signed him up but wouldn't take the leap of faith to give him a chance. Bignot did, obviously not in a very subtle or polite way (the right word alludes me) but it was clear straight away Henderson a class above, even though McKeown a more than competent L2 keeper. In fact probably one of the best.
Posted by: Rik e B, January 23, 2020, 8:31pm; Reply: 25
Did Bignot feel guilty about Macca and that's why he mowed over Hendo with team bus to prove he did actually love him?

God knows.
Posted by: Rik e B, January 23, 2020, 8:31pm; Reply: 26
Probably best we don't know alot of stuff!
Posted by: KingstonMariner, January 23, 2020, 11:04pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from smokey111

And neither Smith not Wraith would be on the left side of the pitch.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, January 24, 2020, 10:31am; Reply: 28

I would agree with that which is why I am a bit surprised at Wilder being so OTT with his praise. He is good, athletic and can pull out amazing saves but he does make blunders. Reminds me of Gary Sprake. The lad might be England’s best but that says more about the rest.

Posted by: Maringer, January 24, 2020, 11:28am; Reply: 29
All keepers make terrible blunders.

Just the name of the game - Petr Cech was the best of his generation but still chucked one in during a major tournament which led to his country being eliminated. I remember being pleased when Nigel Martyn came into the England team but he made a complete balls-up to get us eliminated from Euro 2000 (credit also due to Phil flipping Neville for their winner). Seaman vs 10-man Brazil in the World Cup, anyone? It's just one of those things.

The 'greatest' goalkeepers have the luck of getting away with these errors because they are in better teams or the goals come in games which are then won and not lost. I don't doubt Gordon Banks chucked one or two in during his time as well.

Henderson could well turn out to be England's keeper for a decade. He'll still make one or two howlers if he is.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, January 24, 2020, 12:45pm; Reply: 30
Quoted from Maringer
All keepers make terrible blunders.

Just the name of the game - Petr Cech was the best of his generation but still chucked one in during a major tournament which led to his country being eliminated. I remember being pleased when Nigel Martyn came into the England team but he made a complete balls-up to get us eliminated from Euro 2000 (credit also due to Phil flipping Neville for their winner). Seaman vs 10-man Brazil in the World Cup, anyone? It's just one of those things.

The 'greatest' goalkeepers have the luck of getting away with these errors because they are in better teams or the goals come in games which are then won and not lost. I don't doubt Gordon Banks chucked one or two in during his time as well.

Henderson could well turn out to be England's keeper for a decade. He'll still make one or two howlers if he is.

Like I said he is a good keeper. I think he may be about as good as De Gea already. The truly great keepers do not make howlers in the big games. Interesting you mention Seaman, he was already well known for making the mistake of moving way off his line too soon but he still did it! Even the Brazil game didn’t cure him. I hope Henderson learns from that.
Posted by: Heisenberg, January 24, 2020, 1:16pm; Reply: 31

Like I said he is a good keeper. I think he may be about as good as De Gea already. The truly great keepers do not make howlers in the big games. Interesting you mention Seaman, he was already well known for making the mistake of moving way off his line too soon but he still did it! Even the Brazil game didn’t cure him. I hope Henderson learns from that.

I sort of agree about Seamen, BUT I think when he and Schmeichel were in the Prem, it was a golden age for goalkeeping.  They were both incredible.  I don't think anyone has got close to them until now, with Ederson at Man City and Alisson at Liverpool.

If fit, Hendo will make the Euro squad at least.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, January 24, 2020, 1:47pm; Reply: 32
Quoted from Heisenberg

I sort of agree about Seamen, BUT I think when he and Schmeichel were in the Prem, it was a golden age for goalkeeping.  They were both incredible.  I don't think anyone has got close to them until now, with Ederson at Man City and Alisson at Liverpool.

If fit, Hendo will make the Euro squad at least.

Seaman never learned though. His other fault was the old Harry Wainman trick of letting the ball through his legs instead of getting his body behind it. Schmeichel was a much better keeper. But golden age? No. that was from Bonnetti, Stepney, Clemence, Shilton, Pat Jennings, David Harvey, Joe Corrigan, Phil Parkes, Neville Southall, Chris Woods ....... any of those would walk into any PL side today and that is only a selection of the 70s to 90s British goalkeepers.

I think you are right it is a cert that Henderson will make the Euros.

Posted by: Abdul19, January 24, 2020, 2:35pm; Reply: 33
Chris Woods was better than David Seaman?!
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, January 24, 2020, 2:45pm; Reply: 34
Quoted from Abdul19

Opinion isn’t it? I wouldn’t necessarily say so but he was well thought of in Scotland. But Seaman I always felt was overrated. Good shot stopper but anything in the air near goal was heart in the mouth time. The way Arsenal played favoured him greatly, especially playing behind Adams and Bould who tended to take anything in the air.

Posted by: Maringer, January 24, 2020, 2:49pm; Reply: 35

But golden age? No. that was from Bonnetti, Stepney, Clemence, Shilton, Pat Jennings, David Harvey, Joe Corrigan, Phil Parkes, Neville Southall, Chris Woods ....... any of those would walk into any PL side today and that is only a selection of the 70s to 90s British goalkeepers.

Bonetti, you say?

Try from 3:10 of the following clip:

https://youtu.be/Ps3JBN1vAe0

England cruising at 2-0 up in a World Cup quarter-final against Germany and Bonetti dives over an easy shot from Beckenbauer to let them back into it. Still haunts Bonetti to this day, apparently.

Like I said, all keepers make bad errors and most of the best have made one in important games.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, January 24, 2020, 6:06pm; Reply: 36
Quoted from Maringer

Bonetti, you say?

Try from 3:10 of the following clip:

https://youtu.be/Ps3JBN1vAe0

England cruising at 2-0 up in a World Cup quarter-final against Germany and Bonetti dives over an easy shot from Beckenbauer to let them back into it. Still haunts Bonetti to this day, apparently.

Like I said, all keepers make bad errors and most of the best have made one in important games.

Which is why Bonetti was only the reserve keeper for England and Banks was unfit or knobbled as some people maintained.  ;D

My list is not a list of all time greats, just a response to Heisenberg about the “golden age” of keepers. It does include others who made howlers but I still maintain what I said to you,  the truly great keepers of any nationality did not make real howlers in the big games.

Posted by: Meza, January 24, 2020, 6:30pm; Reply: 37
Cant believe the amount of space players had in that game, ridiculous lol.
Posted by: Heisenberg, January 24, 2020, 6:47pm; Reply: 38

Seaman never learned though. His other fault was the old Harry Wainman trick of letting the ball through his legs instead of getting his body behind it. Schmeichel was a much better keeper. But golden age? No. that was from Bonnetti, Stepney, Clemence, Shilton, Pat Jennings, David Harvey, Joe Corrigan, Phil Parkes, Neville Southall, Chris Woods ....... any of those would walk into any PL side today and that is only a selection of the 70s to 90s British goalkeepers.

I think you are right it is a cert that Henderson will make the Euros.

Shilts was a real favourite of mine, but by 1990 he was 40 and bowed out with a few howlers himself.

I must admit to not seeing any football really until ‘86 or so, so people like Clemence are just names to me really.

I do think that Chris Woods was massively underrated though. Really unfortunate not to get more caps.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, January 24, 2020, 6:55pm; Reply: 39
Quoted from Heisenberg

Shilts was a real favourite of mine, but by 1990 he was 40 and bowed out with a few howlers himself.

I must admit to not seeing any football really until ‘86 or so, so people like Clemence are just names to me really.

I do think that Chris Woods was massively underrated though. Really unfortunate not to get more caps.

Yes I think Shilton should have retired or been retired from internationals sooner too.

One thing that surprised me was how ineffective Clemence was on the England coaching staff. The standard of goalkeeping was going down and you would have thought he might have been the bloke to stop the rot. Instead we got Joe Hart. :-/

Posted by: Maringer, January 24, 2020, 8:25pm; Reply: 40
I suppose one difference between the present day and the past is the balls. So much lighter these days, they go faster when hit and move all over the place as well. I wonder how the keepers of old would have dealt with them? You didn't used to see keepers get beaten by 30 yard shorts very often. Pretty commonplace these days.

I maintain that even the best keepers have always made bad errors. At the other end of the scale, you have those like Williams and Forecast who occasionally made good saves! Possibly.
Posted by: smokey111, January 24, 2020, 9:05pm; Reply: 41
If he thinks Henderson is going to be his number one, he needs to play him in every international running up to the tournament. Pickford is starting to look a liability. He constantly looks too hyped up, something Hart was starting to exhibit towards the end of his reign in goal.
Posted by: Kris2, January 24, 2020, 10:51pm; Reply: 42
Quoted from Maringer

I maintain that even the best keepers have always made bad errors. At the other end of the scale, you have those like Williams and Forecast who occasionally made good saves! Possibly.

Did Forecast ever make a save from a shot on goal? I'd need to see video proof! I don't even recall him saving shots in the warm up, was sat behind the little practice goal before kick off against Crewe seeing him constantly get beat by every shot thinking "oh no..."
Posted by: Posh Harry, January 24, 2020, 11:13pm; Reply: 43
Quoted from Abdul19

With TRRFC on this one. As an ex goalkeeper, I thought seaman was overrated. A good keeper but not world class. Woods had 2 or 3 years being superb. Underrated imo. He was then forced to be a keeper behind a terrible England defence that made him look average. He wasn’t.
Posted by: Mighty_Mariner, January 25, 2020, 12:21am; Reply: 44
Quoted from Kris2

Did Forecast ever make a save from a shot on goal? I'd need to see video proof! I don't even recall him saving shots in the warm up, was sat behind the little practice goal before kick off against Crewe seeing him constantly get beat by every shot thinking "oh no..."

Is there any video evidence of just how bad Forecast was in goal for Town? I've never seen the famous 'chip'...
Posted by: forza ivano, January 25, 2020, 1:01am; Reply: 45
Norwich were my second team at the time and saw woods a fair few times. Have to say he was an absolutely outstanding keeper and imho is much underrated
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, January 25, 2020, 7:04am; Reply: 46
Why's no one mentioned Jake Kean?🤭🤭😂
Posted by: Abdul19, January 25, 2020, 8:23am; Reply: 47
Quoted from Posh Harry

With TRRFC on this one. As an ex goalkeeper, I thought seaman was overrated. A good keeper but not world class. Woods had 2 or 3 years being superb. Underrated imo. He was then forced to be a keeper behind a terrible England defence that made him look average. He wasn’t.

Maybe him throwing one in in the cup final is clouding my judgement ;D

(I can only really remember him playing for Wednesday so past his peak. I thought Seaman was ace for a decade though. The Brazil and Macedonia mistakes were when he was about 53)
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, January 25, 2020, 9:31am; Reply: 48
Quoted from Abdul19

Maybe him throwing one in in the cup final is clouding my judgement ;D

(I can only really remember him playing for Wednesday so past his peak. I thought Seaman was ace for a decade though. The Brazil and Macedonia mistakes were when he was about 53)

The 250 yard lob that beat him was in 1995 in the Cup Winners Cup Final. He repeated the identical trick in the 2002 WC against Brazil.

I remember the latter because the TV camera was positioned right along the line of travel of the ball and you could see he was way out of position as Ronaldinho hit the ball and we just sat there amazed as it went over Seaman. It is really odd because he is a big bloke even for a keeper but his command of the box in the air seemed to depend more on Tony Adams than on his own height.

Posted by: Abdul19, January 25, 2020, 10:39am; Reply: 49
That Nayim goal was a complete freak! How many keepers are near their line when the ball's in that position?

And he commanded the box alright when Adams was in the nick  ;)  (you don't concede 18 goals all season with a keeper who can't catch)
Posted by: Abdul19, January 25, 2020, 10:42am; Reply: 50
Quoted from Kris2

Did Forecast ever make a save from a shot on goal?

I remember one at Bury. It was straight at him and he didn't hold onto it first time. Earned a big cheer  ;D
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, January 25, 2020, 12:51pm; Reply: 51
Quoted from Abdul19
That Nayim goal was a complete freak! How many keepers are near their line when the ball's in that position?

And he commanded the box alright when Adams was in the nick  ;)  (you don't concede 18 goals all season with a keeper who can't catch)

When Adams wasn’t there do you remember who replaced him? Andy Lineghan, all 6’4” of him! ;D.

Posted by: Posh Harry, January 25, 2020, 1:05pm; Reply: 52

The 250 yard lob that beat him was in 1995 in the Cup Winners Cup Final. He repeated the identical trick in the 2002 WC against Brazil.

I remember the latter because the TV camera was positioned right along the line of travel of the ball and you could see he was way out of position as Ronaldinho hit the ball and we just sat there amazed as it went over Seaman. It is really odd because he is a big bloke even for a keeper but his command of the box in the air seemed to depend more on Tony Adams than on his own height.

The other big ones for me were that free kick against koeman for Holland (yes he shouldn’t have been on the pitch) and the fa cup semi free kick from gazza. Both caused imo by a poor starting position from seaman.
Posted by: Abdul19, January 25, 2020, 1:29pm; Reply: 53

When Adams wasn’t there do you remember who replaced him? Andy Lineghan, all 6’4” of him! ;D.

Yeah but he was shit ;D (Well, he wasn't as good)

(Did score the winner in the cup final though, past Chris Woods ;))
Print page generated: April 18, 2024, 3:49am