Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Croxton, January 21, 2020, 11:28am
I'm looking at travel options for Crawley if I decide to swerve the long drive. I could be visiting family in N Lincs. on Friday so it would be useful to know if a coach is going. OS gives a phone number for after 6 pm but Facebook has no update for non members. Any info gratefully received.
Posted by: lukeo, January 21, 2020, 12:42pm; Reply: 1
I think the coach is full
Posted by: Croxton, January 21, 2020, 1:55pm; Reply: 2
Quoted from lukeo
I think the coach is full

Not surprised! Could be a £30 hotel room like the one in Carlisle then. Thanks Lukeo.
Posted by: Les Brechin, January 21, 2020, 2:00pm; Reply: 3
Quoted from Croxton

Not surprised! Could be a £30 hotel room like the one in Carlisle then. Thanks Lukeo.

The train is a nightmare on Saturday too, with no trains running to Kings Cross. It's change at Sheffield and St. Pancras or Reading!!
Posted by: acko338, January 21, 2020, 2:03pm; Reply: 4
No trains - loads of work going on all over the weekend and notices on every station I went through on Friday and Sunday saying find other ways to travel !
Posted by: Les Brechin, January 21, 2020, 2:34pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from acko338
No trains - loads of work going on all over the weekend and notices on every station I went through on Friday and Sunday saying find other ways to travel !

It's not no trains, there is trains but you have to go to Sheffield then Reading then Gatwick, then Crawley and it takes between 6 and 7 hours, so to get there to give you time to have a couple of pre-match drinks you'd have to get the half 5 or half 6 train out of Grimsby.

Coming back too you can get the 6 O'clock train from Crawley but that's back via East Croydon, St.Pancras and Sheffield plus it's a bus replacement between Donny and Grimsby and you get back about 1am!!
Posted by: Croxton, January 21, 2020, 3:25pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from Les Brechin

It's not no trains, there is trains but you have to go to Sheffield then Reading then Gatwick, then Crawley and it takes between 6 and 7 hours, so to get there to give you time to have a couple of pre-match drinks you'd have to get the half 5 or half 6 train out of Grimsby.

Coming back too you can get the 6 O'clock train from Crawley but that's back via East Croydon, St.Pancras and Sheffield plus it's a bus replacement between Donny and Grimsby and you get back about 1am!!

I drove from Sheffield to Leyton Orient and back. Google says Crawley is only 15 min longer but seems further on the map. Family
concerns may blitz the whole idea yet. If I decide to drive I will post about potential passengers to keep me awake!
Posted by: sam gy, January 21, 2020, 3:39pm; Reply: 7
Shame there’s not more coaches seen as the trains are copulated.

Could be an idea to get the Megabus from Scunny.....it takes you to East Mids Parkway where you then get the train to St Pancras. Few stops on the underground and then get train to Crawley from Victoria.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, January 21, 2020, 3:50pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from Croxton

I drove from Sheffield to Leyton Orient and back. Google says Crawley is only 15 min longer but seems further on the map. Family
concerns may blitz the whole idea yet. If I decide to drive I will post about potential passengers to keep me awake!

Significantly further but it’s motorway then dual carriageway almost to the door. I’d have thought it was still more than 15 minutes extra though.
Posted by: Les Brechin, January 21, 2020, 3:58pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from sam gy
Shame there’s not more coaches seen as the trains are copulated.

Could be an idea to get the Megabus from Scunny.....it takes you to East Mids Parkway where you then get the train to St Pancras. Few stops on the underground and then get train to Crawley from Victoria.

It's a shame that Megabus doesn't serve the Grimsby/Cleethorpes area yet for some reason. Could be a cheap viable option of getting to certain games if it did.
Posted by: sam gy, January 21, 2020, 4:15pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from Les Brechin

It's a shame that Megabus doesn't serve the Grimsby/Cleethorpes area yet for some reason. Could be a cheap viable option of getting to certain games if it did.

I've definitely got the Megabus (sure it was Megabus and not National Express) to London from Clee before, but it took an age and there was a 1hr stop in Peterborough.
Posted by: golfer, January 21, 2020, 4:20pm; Reply: 11
Helicopter from Humberston Ave -direct-worth seeing if any spare places
Posted by: Les Brechin, January 21, 2020, 4:38pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from sam gy

I've definitely got the Megabus (sure it was Megabus and not National Express) to London from Clee before, but it took an age and there was a 1hr stop in Peterborough.

Don't know about that as according to their website the nearest places that Megabus serve to Gy and Clee is Hull or Scunthorpe.
Posted by: Croxton, January 21, 2020, 5:02pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Significantly further but it’s motorway then dual carriageway almost to the door. I’d have thought it was still more than 15 minutes extra though.

Correct . It's 30 miles further but there are large variations in journey time. The difference has zoomed out to an extra 30 mins. at 5 pm.  My first search must have been at midnight!
Posted by: Eastendmariner, January 25, 2020, 7:26am; Reply: 14
Normal time for me Les  6am  For a home game leaving a little later for creepy Crawley 10am  UTM
Print page generated: April 25, 2024, 4:52pm