Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, January 19, 2020, 12:39pm
Our defensive record this season is better than 2 teams in the current automatic promotion places (Swindon and Crewe).

With Pollock likely to start more games, defensively we should continue to be very good.  Great to think that he will not be at his best for about 10 years.  A great asset for the club.

We know that we need to score far more goals.  The new players brought in should make a positive difference.  Billy Clarke has the guile and clever touches to create opportunities.  He will score goals as well as creating them.

On the downside, if Macclesfield had their 6 points back (that were deducted), they would be above us by 1 fewer goal conceded, having played the same number of games.

This is a sad indictment that for all the dire trouble at Macclesfield, points earned they would be higher in the league.

We have the potential and capacity to be a lot better - next season if not this one.

Posted by: aldi_01, January 19, 2020, 1:34pm; Reply: 1
Pollock is a quality player and we’d be foolish to think he will be around GTFC for long and fair play to the lad...cracking prospect.

Looks solid, calm on the ball and definitely has a bright future in the game. Arguably our best centre half and he’s only 18.
Posted by: mimma, January 19, 2020, 2:11pm; Reply: 2
Some things from yesterday.

We now leave at least one striker up when defending a corner.

When the play was on the other side of the pitch, Max Wright stayed on the touchline waiting for someone to switch it. This stretched their defence.

We now do not bunch on the halfway line when we have a goal kick. Macca looks for a player to give it to instead of just launching it.

When we did play it up to Hanson, he had players anticipating him winning it, so he was able to find players with his flick ons.

We move the ball forward quicker instead of passing it around giving them time to get back.

Our forwards are making runs instead of been static waiting for the ball.

Our crossing is getting better.

All in all it was a massive improvement on what we have been watching for the last few seasons.
Posted by: devs, January 19, 2020, 3:04pm; Reply: 3
Pollock is immense
He is the new Harry Maguire IMO
There was nothing wrong yesterday other than goals
I could not fault them
On another day it would have been 5-2
Crowd knew it as well - they had been entertained and it was just not meant to be

Very unlucky and disappointing scoreline but much promise for the rest of season and future
Posted by: Marinerz93, January 19, 2020, 5:14pm; Reply: 4
Our defensive record this season is better than 2 teams in the current automatic promotion places (Swindon and Crewe).

It's a solid foundation to certainly build on and can only be positive thing that you've highlighted.

With Pollock likely to start more games, defensively we should continue to be very good.  Great to think that he will not be at his best for about 10 years.  A great asset for the club.

I think he has great potential, showing some great play and reading of the game.

We know that we need to score far more goals.  The new players brought in should make a positive difference.  Billy Clarke has the guile and clever touches to create opportunities.  He will score goals as well as creating them.

Again spot on, I think it may take some weeks before that link up play becomes more natural.

On the downside, if Macclesfield had their 6 points back (that were deducted), they would be above us by 1 fewer goal conceded, having played the same number of games.

I'm not over concerned as I was a few weeks ago, I think we will be moving upwards from now on, or at least far away enough from the drop.

This is a sad indictment that for all the dire trouble at Macclesfield, points earned they would be higher in the league.

It is really sad what is happening at the Macc lads however the larger clubs around them should bear some of the blame.

We have the potential and capacity to be a lot better - next season if not this one.

This has always been the case with Town, it's just getting the right infrastructure behind us to deliver that, the support this club can generate at times is awesome.
Posted by: rancido, January 19, 2020, 6:28pm; Reply: 5
The future looks a lot brighter now that Olly is here and the new signings are a positive step towards us producing a promotion winning team. As well as his managerial expertise , his acquisition of shares and his place on the Board should not be underestimated. We now have somebody on the Board who fully understands how the football industry works. This will be of an enormous advantage when it comes to PR, the football culture and decisions not just based on cost but how the football industry works as opposed to how to run a fish processing plant, an accountancy or legal establishment or a string of racehorses. For the first time that I can remember we have a Board member with a football background and that can only be a good thing.
Posted by: Rik e B, January 19, 2020, 7:29pm; Reply: 6
Some great eagle eyed-ness there Mimma, as someone who couldn't attend adds dome detailed flesh to the bones of what I'm reading and all very positive signs for the future and signs of a supremely competent gaffer who has a plan.

And Rancido yes, hopefully Ollie can be a guiding light to a board who been fumbling about in the darkness for 15 years. Just so long as there isn't a fallout as Fenty notoriously difficult to work with, but if Fenty can swallow a little pride and put faith in his 'proper football man' adviser in chief then we could be onto to something special.

Ollie already has the blueprint to success, if the board can work with him and support his ideas instead of solely focusing on short-termist worries we could replicate.

The 6000 gate massively swelling expected income should be evidence enough and a very strong hint that to take that leap of faith with him could reap dividends and give us that 'football fortune' the boards been craving.

We've a premier grade nationally renowned famous figure at the helm jettisoning us into the National psyche, let's support him as best as can, obviously bearing in mind budget and not going daft but speculating just a little here and there.
Print page generated: March 29, 2024, 1:57am