Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: bigdavemariner, January 16, 2020, 10:51pm
He just gets it. His passion, his work ethic, his man management is just so refreshing.

Love the whole conversation about going to see the young lads parents. Top stuff

[url]https://twitter.com/HumbersideSport/status/1217917927263014913?s=09[/url]
Posted by: The_Laughing_Mariner, January 16, 2020, 10:52pm; Reply: 1
can we have a proper link please
Posted by: Rik e B, January 16, 2020, 11:09pm; Reply: 2
It is, click on it and audio interview pops straight up.
Posted by: bigdavemariner, January 16, 2020, 11:11pm; Reply: 3
Quoted from Rik e B
It is, click on it and audio interview pops straight up.

I edited the first post mate. Ballsed it up first go haha

Posted by: Rik e B, January 16, 2020, 11:37pm; Reply: 4
Ah right, fantastic interview, just gets better!
Posted by: forza ivano, January 16, 2020, 11:58pm; Reply: 5
Possibly his best one yet.
Btw Lee CookTilleys agent was a damn good pro.,probably Aylesbury United's finest home grown player..if tilleys as good as him then weve made a great signing
Posted by: Mighty_Mariner, January 17, 2020, 7:12am; Reply: 6
Love the bit about the litter dropper and the school... Giving a free ticket to every single child and parent is a huge gesture from the club so very well done John Fenty 👍👏
Posted by: grimps, January 17, 2020, 7:39am; Reply: 7
Ollies army ⚫️⚪️
I could listen to him al day
Posted by: It Bites, January 17, 2020, 8:02am; Reply: 8
Be interesting to see if the dumb part time fans take head and stop boing and slating the players during and after matches on social media .
Posted by: aldi_01, January 17, 2020, 8:49am; Reply: 9
Why would people stop slating players? Whilst we’re all aware some get a little bit carried away, just because Holloway is in charge doesn’t mean it stops.

We all remember the time when our last successful manager was guiding us to the football league and people still weren’t happy with a win. It won’t stop. No point thinking it will or hoping it will.
Posted by: chipsandgravy, January 17, 2020, 9:01am; Reply: 10
Quoted from aldi_01
Why would people stop slating players? Whilst we’re all aware some get a little bit carried away, just because Holloway is in charge doesn’t mean it stops.

We all remember the time when our last successful manager was guiding us to the football league and people still weren’t happy with a win. It won’t stop. No point thinking it will or hoping it will.

I guess you sit in the Main Stand then!!
Posted by: 3610 (Guest), January 17, 2020, 9:08am; Reply: 11
Quoted from aldi_01

Quite simply because Holloway wants to develop a team that is brave on the ball. To try and be creative and entertain. If the crowd then get on the players back for trying things- cos it won't always come off- then the players will go into their shells and play safe rather than expansive football.

He reiterated this point time and time again when he was at Blackpool and the fans eventually brought into it and the football he got them playing was awesome to watch. I expect him to keep hammering home the same message throughout his time here.

Posted by: Rik e B, January 17, 2020, 9:12am; Reply: 12
There will still be those one or two foghorn bellends in the Main Stand who think their sole purpose in life is to berate our own bench and player's making us all look like a bunch of miserable negative halfwits.
Posted by: chipsandgravy, January 17, 2020, 9:22am; Reply: 13
Quoted from Rik e B
There will still be those one or two foghorn bellends in the Main Stand who think their sole purpose in life is to berate our own bench and player's making us all look like a bunch of miserable negative halfwits.

Amen to that!
Posted by: Rik e B, January 17, 2020, 9:23am; Reply: 14
Quoted from 3610

Quite simply because Holloway wants to develop a team that is brave on the ball. To try and be creative and entertain. If the crowd then get on the players back for trying things- cos it won't always come off- then the players will go into their shells and play safe rather than expansive football.

He reiterated this point time and time again when he was at Blackpool and the fans eventually brought into it and the football he got them playing was awesome to watch. I expect him to keep hammering home the same message throughout his time here.

He's already been on the offensive on that in his latest interview saying about telling Tilley to have a go and take people on, but he's young and it won't always come off but the crowd should encourage him not bemoan when it fails.

But we all know theres certain idiots who constantly chomping at the bit for the first chance to knock our player's down a peg or two.

People moan about glory fan's.... I'd take them and their positivity over those one or two perenial negative gobshites any day of the week.
Posted by: Grantham_Mariner, January 17, 2020, 9:45am; Reply: 15
I would rather see  4-3, 3-3 or 3-4

Than  1-0 0-0 or 0-1

And it looks like thats how IH likes to see it.
Posted by: acko338, January 17, 2020, 11:03am; Reply: 16
Those moaning in the Main Stand may just get a surprise visit !
I can see him challenging and publicly humiliating such "supporters".... and fair play if he does !!!
Posted by: Ipswin, January 17, 2020, 11:14am; Reply: 17
Quoted from Rik e B

The one guaranteed way to shut them up is to start consistently winning matches

Posted by: marinerdazza, January 17, 2020, 11:43am; Reply: 18
I'm as impressed as anyone so far and providing no one gets carried away I can see this potentially being a Great thing. But just remember that there was an identical thread title about our last manager...

(36 red Xs)
Posted by: Rik e B, January 17, 2020, 11:55am; Reply: 19
True, true, what sways it for me to jump in with both feet thought is his proven pedigree, 950 games and two promotions to the Prem. Just listening to him you can tell he a cut above what we used to. I was unsure on Jolley just kept my gob shut.
Posted by: aldi_01, January 17, 2020, 12:18pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from acko338
Those moaning in the Main Stand may just get a surprise visit !
I can see him challenging and publicly humiliating such "supporters".... and fair play if he does !!!

Interesting to see the reaction from fans this time...when that’s happened in the past it’s been a very mixed bag of views.

Things won’t change overnight, it’ll take time for people to adjust to a manager who is trying things and has a vision. Let’s face it, he’s the first person at the club in 4 years to have that.

Time will tell, as long as we consistently win games then that’s all the matters surely...
Posted by: heppy88, January 17, 2020, 12:20pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from aldi_01

Totally agree. Football is pantomime for the masses. You have your performers on the stage, the heroes and the villains. These roles are interchangeable. The away supporters, the away team, the away management even the away owner can be considered a villain. But the same can be said for our own team, management and board members, as we all well know. The punters can cheer, sing, feel suspense, anger even hatred. It’s all part of the pantomime and as aldi acknowledges it always will be.
Posted by: chipsandgravy, January 17, 2020, 1:05pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from heppy88

Totally agree. Football is pantomime for the masses. You have your performers on the stage, the heroes and the villains. These roles are interchangeable. The away supporters, the away team, the away management even the away owner can be considered a villain. But the same can be said for our own team, management and board members, as we all well know. The punters can cheer, sing, feel suspense, anger even hatred. It’s all part of the pantomime and as aldi acknowledges it always will be.

Yep agree - I saw the hatred aimed at our young players at Macclesfield and the same bunch celebrating at Mansfield liked we won a cup! And that was only the following away game. Its embarrassing the extreme reactions in just 14 days.
As I see it. I have been supporting Town for a good few years now and this appointment is on a different level to anything that I have experienced. (Wasn't around Laurie Mac days).
You couldn't buy the brand recognition we are getting at the moment. There isn't a consultancy in the country that could buy you that and get a result in two weeks. Whilst I know we live in a media age when was the last time we consistently appeared on Sky Sports, Gillette Soccer Saturday, Talksport and many other outlets almost daily. We are branded as "Ian Holloways Grimsby Town". That should lead us to attracting better players and let's hope more investment.
I am at a loss to think of anybody else realistically that could have had the same impact as Holloway has had.
We should enjoy the team when we win and support them when we don't as I think this journey is going to be worth being on.

Posted by: Civvy at last, January 17, 2020, 1:12pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from heppy88

. It’s all part of the pantomime.

OH NO IT ISN'T

Taxi
:B :B :B
Posted by: oochiad, January 17, 2020, 1:15pm; Reply: 24
Extremely well put Chipsandgravy, spot on!
Posted by: chipsandgravy, January 17, 2020, 1:26pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from oochiad
Extremely well put Chipsandgravy, spot on!

Cheers!
Posted by: Stew0_0, January 17, 2020, 1:46pm; Reply: 26
What is refreshing is the ambition.
Wants to take the club up the division and leagues.
Whereas Jolleys wish was for improvement on the 18th place finish last year.
Bring some enthusiasm, belief and drive to the table and an arm around the younger players and skys the limit for us. I wouldnt even discount us to achieve something great this season.
Heres hoping
Utmm
Posted by: It Bites, January 17, 2020, 2:18pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from aldi_01

We have to hope it might stop or we will just stand still . I suppose you are happy in your cave . Evolution is happening all around us . Some fight it and some embrace it
Posted by: MarinerMal, January 17, 2020, 2:28pm; Reply: 28
I think some are a little unfair to Jolley on here and I don't think he was the unmitigated disaster some would have you believe. There were issues for sure, the rather stale style of play we seemed to play the more the season went on as he searched for a result. But I would say he did an okay job but not disastrous. He jumped before being pushed not for performances but for his four letter strewn press conference. We were on a bad run yes but we seemed to be a streaky team under him anyhow. Several games without a win followed by several games without a defeat followed by several games without a win.

Would I rather have Jolley in over Holloway... no way. I've loved what IH has done in his short tenure in charge. He's generating such enthusiasm for the club again, not seen since we returned to the football league.

One of the biggest problems some of the previous managers had is the ability to attract players to the club. IH with his reputation and enthusiasm seems to be able to overcome this hurdle and for the first time in years I am excited about the club again.

If this is the last managerial appointment Fenty makes, thank you. I think you may have got it right at last.

Time will tell.  ;)
Posted by: AussieMariner, January 17, 2020, 3:07pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from MarinerMal
I think some are a little unfair to Jolley on here and I don't think he was the unmitigated disaster some would have you believe. There were issues for sure, the rather stale style of play we seemed to play the more the season went on as he searched for a result. But I would say he did an okay job but not disastrous. He jumped before being pushed not for performances but for his four letter strewn press conference. We were on a bad run yes but we seemed to be a streaky team under him anyhow. Several games without a win followed by several games without a defeat followed by several games without a win.

Would I rather have Jolley in over Holloway... no way. I've loved what IH has done in his short tenure in charge. He's generating such enthusiasm for the club again, not seen since we returned to the football league.

One of the biggest problems some of the previous managers had is the ability to attract players to the club. IH with his reputation and enthusiasm seems to be able to overcome this hurdle and for the first time in years I am excited about the club again.

If this is the last managerial appointment Fenty makes, thank you. I think you may have got it right at last.

Time will tell.  ;)

I agree about Jolley
I think he gambled with a small squad paying for what he perceived to be quality and mixing it with youth to manage a limited budget
For a while it was a refreshing change to the usual journeymen approach
It started well but came off the rails a bit when the inevitable injuries came along and he was forced to play an unbalanced team with players out of their best positions
Ollie seems to be happy enough at least with the attitude of the players he’s inherited and seems to be improving the squad using his contacts to get quality youngsters on loan or in Tilley’s case at a bargain price. It doesn’t yet look like he’s been able to get ‘Squeaky’ to ‘push the boat out’ or at least not very far.
So yeah I think Jolley left us better than he found us but I also think Ollie has the ability to take us further and faster.
Posted by: drbell, January 17, 2020, 3:15pm; Reply: 30
Quoted from aldi_01

I guess its a question for each fan of what they want.

Have they paid their money in order to have the right to shout and berate players, in order to be able to enjoy themselves, and get their moneys worth?

Or do they want to be part of something bigger, and ask themselves what can I do to help? We can all make a small but real contribution, especially fans in the stands on matchday. Can you imagine what impact the fans would have if the only time the fans were negative and onto someone was when they didn't give 100%. If everything else was support, loud and proud. Encouragement and motivation when its going well, and especially when its not and the players really need a boost. What could we achieve then?
Posted by: Rik e B, January 17, 2020, 3:21pm; Reply: 31
"We are starting a journey. Buy a ticket. Come and help me. Come and encourage. If you are going to moan, don’t come.

"But if you are going to encourage, I'll have you all day long."
Posted by: oochiad, January 17, 2020, 3:38pm; Reply: 32
People have also paid their money to enjoy the afternoon and there’s nothing worse than some dipstick shouting obscenities at our players who are obviously trying there hardest. These people are selfish and clearly like the sound of their own voice. I’m a great believer in positivity.
Posted by: forza ivano, January 17, 2020, 3:39pm; Reply: 33
the fact that Holloway has been impressed by the standard, and the attitude of the squad he's inherited shows that Jolley was doing something right. And it is impossible to ignore the fact that he left us in a better place than when he took over
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, January 17, 2020, 4:25pm; Reply: 34
Quoted from forza ivano
the fact that Holloway has been impressed by the standard, and the attitude of the squad he's inherited shows that Jolley was doing something right. And it is impossible to ignore the fact that he left us in a better place than when he took over

Interesting to me that the consistent comment IH makes is about the quality of the players attitude and the strength of the defence. Not sure I have heard many positive comments on the relative technical and playing quality of our midfield and forwards.

Think this is the reason that 3 new forwards have been brought in and I would expect at least one more to join them in January. He clearly is a great motivator and will be telling all the players of the heights they can achieve but at the same time he is also looking for better quality replacements which is ideal as players will understand perform, improve and deliver or else!!

As for MJ yes he got 100% out of players but I haven’t doubted the commitment of most of our players under any of our Managers for quite some time. What has been lacking is a total lack of ability as an attacking force, with the odd exception, and a total inability to win and control the midfield area of the pitch. In reality how many enjoyable performances did we have during MJ’s tenure? Very few but I will always remember the Notts County game and Matt’s injury time winner so for that MJ can be proud of his achievement but unfortunately he has been unable to take us forward and like Hurst spent too much time worrying about the opposition rather than getting a team together that other sides needed to dread playing.

Let’s hope tomorrow we can start to see the shoots of a new positive playing style which will over the next couple of seasons see us at the top end of the table.

Posted by: Kris2, January 17, 2020, 4:48pm; Reply: 35
Quoted from forza ivano

I don't think Jolley ever lacked the ability to motivate players and man-manage, maybe his lack of experience, the level he's at being tougher than he thought and his ego caught up with him. I don't ever recall the team lacking in effort under Jolley just more teams had our number than not.
Posted by: StaffsMariner, January 17, 2020, 5:11pm; Reply: 36
" I paid my money so i have a right to abuse players" is just Bullsh1t. That is not supporting and maybe some of the gobshites should Google the word supporter and see if thats them.
Fan/Fanatic maybe but not supporter and should be removed by the stewards and stuck in the away end!
"I paid my money so have the right to smack him in the mouth" works just as well.

I remember the days that it was the opposition that got the abuse.
Posted by: Cricklewoodmariner, January 17, 2020, 5:23pm; Reply: 37
[img]https://i.imgur.com/wjb8QzT.png[/img]

he's even got Mighty Mariner wearing a flat cap  ;D
Posted by: Rik e B, January 17, 2020, 7:04pm; Reply: 38
I'd love to ram one of Ollie's ices right down foghorn's oversized pie hole when he starts bleating 🙊

Pity I value my ability to attend matches too greatly though and don't wanna go on Nick's naughty list.
Posted by: headingly_mariner, January 17, 2020, 7:31pm; Reply: 39
I’m never one to abuse players. I have always celebrated attempts to do the right thing. I prefer a “hard luck, keep going” when a player tries something that doesn’t come off.
I’d love to see Blundell Park be a ground where the home players can do no wrong and it is unbelievably hostile for the away team.
Posted by: moosey_club, January 17, 2020, 7:56pm; Reply: 40
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

Interesting to me that the consistent comment IH makes is about the quality of the players attitude and the strength of the defence. Not sure I have heard many positive comments on the relative technical and playing quality of our midfield and forwards.

Think this is the reason that 3 new forwards have been brought in and I would expect at least one more to join them in January. He clearly is a great motivator and will be telling all the players of the heights they can achieve but at the same time he is also looking for better quality replacements which is ideal as players will understand perform, improve and deliver or else!!

As for MJ yes he got 100% out of players but I haven’t doubted the commitment of most of our players under any of our Managers for quite some time. What has been lacking is a total lack of ability as an attacking force, with the odd exception, and a total inability to win and control the midfield area of the pitch. In reality how many enjoyable performances did we have during MJ’s tenure? Very few but I will always remember the Notts County game and Matt’s injury time winner so for that MJ can be proud of his achievement but unfortunately he has been unable to take us forward and like Hurst spent too much time worrying about the opposition rather than getting a team together that other sides needed to dread playing.

Let’s hope tomorrow we can start to see the shoots of a new positive playing style which will over the next couple of seasons see us at the top end of the table.

Short memory....do you think the players gave everything for Bignot, Slade ?? Even when Limbrick took over there seemed a clear upping in effort from the players in relation to the previous few games of Jolley.

Posted by: aldi_01, January 17, 2020, 8:10pm; Reply: 41
Jolley got a 100% out of the players? People think that? Baffling.

That really didn’t happen, it may have happened on occasion but clearly something went amiss which stopped that.

Jolley was Bignot in a better suit. He did a job keeping us up but much like the overall leadership of the club, he was lacking somewhat in whatever it was we needed.

Time will tell if Holloway works. If it does go sour it will only reinforce the fact the club is bollocksed. In some ways, it could force Honest John’s hand and give us some forward momentum but to be honest, if the Holloway thing fails it really will be curtains for Fenty.

But again, people have their right to moan. Is it worth it? Probably not but it’s been around forever and with prices increasing I guess people expect more for their cash...
Posted by: Fishbone, January 17, 2020, 8:17pm; Reply: 42
I hope the feel good factor doesn't dissolve on our first poor result, should it happen tomorrow. We are playing a high flying team after all. I hope people can keep their eyes, hopes and minds on the longer term direction our new gaffer is aiming for. Keep positive all and enjoy the buzz that's been missing for quite some time. UTMM!
Posted by: ginnywings, January 17, 2020, 8:26pm; Reply: 43
Thing is, we haven't been good enough on the pitch to become that home fortress of old. Only when you have a formidable home record do the team and the fans work in unison to frighten the opposition. For too long we have sat there waiting for the away team to get on top, then taking out our frustration on the players when it inevitably happens.
Posted by: Posh Harry, January 17, 2020, 11:38pm; Reply: 44
Quoted from aldi_01
Jolley got a 100% out of the players? People think that? Baffling.

That really didn’t happen, it may have happened on occasion but clearly something went amiss which stopped that.

Jolley was Bignot in a better suit. He did a job keeping us up but much like the overall leadership of the club, he was lacking somewhat in whatever it was we needed.

Time will tell if Holloway works. If it does go sour it will only reinforce the fact the club is bollocksed. In some ways, it could force Honest John’s hand and give us some forward momentum but to be honest, if the Holloway thing fails it really will be curtains for Fenty.

But again, people have their right to moan. Is it worth it? Probably not but it’s been around forever and with prices increasing I guess people expect more for their cash...

You have probably seen more games than me but from my experience, I never doubted that the players gave 100% when out on the pitch with Jolley in charge. Maybe the tactics were sometimes not right etc etc but I always saw 100%.

As for the comment about Jolley being Bignot in a better suit, sorry but horsesh8t. All about opinions, but that is horsesh8t.

Imho

UTMM
Posted by: TonySmith, January 18, 2020, 12:50am; Reply: 45
   I first went to Blundell Park in the early 70's and even back then there were a few "supporters" with really loud voices who would yell abuse at our own players when they made mistakes. I have never understood what they think that achieves. Do they think it makes our players try harder or play better? I would imagine the effect is usually the exact opposite of that. So they are actually helping the other team.
   I've always assumed it's just a few individuals with crappy lives who are yelling at someone who can't fight back to vent their frustrations about their own miserable existence. Still, all teams have their fair share, I imagine, and they probably don't have much to look forward to when they get home, bless them!
Posted by: aldi_01, January 18, 2020, 7:44am; Reply: 46
The 100% thing is a debate anyway really, I guess some do give 100% but some of those in our squad that have given 100% have still underperformed...but as mentioned, that could be tactical influence from a manager who was exposed to be out of his depth.

The Bignot thing is all about opinions...I can’t see a difference between them. Both equally proved to be out of their depth, although it poses more questions about the man picking then I guess...

Cry arsing over fans moaning is a waste of time though, it’ll always happen so the best thing for folk to do is ignore it or out shout them. You have to remember though, even if people moan and shout, fundamentally everyone wants the same thing...town to win. People just have different ways of showing it...doesn’t always make everyone wrong or right.
Print page generated: April 26, 2024, 6:58pm