Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: ginnywings, January 13, 2020, 4:39pm
Town in talks with him according to Grimsby Live.

Striker currently at Maidenhead. Began his career at Palace.
Posted by: dicko995, January 13, 2020, 4:42pm; Reply: 1
Beat me to it ginny, just took my thread off :)
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, January 13, 2020, 4:43pm; Reply: 2
He'd be our very own "ibra"....😂..
It's okay, before you say it, I'll stick to my day job!!
Posted by: davmariner, January 13, 2020, 4:53pm; Reply: 3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wg5U2mCudZ4
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, January 13, 2020, 4:55pm; Reply: 4
At least he would be a good Scrabble score.
Posted by: Mariner_501, January 13, 2020, 4:57pm; Reply: 5
Career on paper looks like it’s mostly been failing to score in non league football
Posted by: Bignic69, January 13, 2020, 4:57pm; Reply: 6
Quick wiki search suggests he's never really settled anywhere
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, January 13, 2020, 5:08pm; Reply: 7
11 clubs already according to SoccerBase.  They also say he is 5ft 11 and only signed for Maidenhead in Nov 19.

Most impressive is 7 goals scored on loan at the might Bognor Regis.  This achieved with no appearances and no sub appearance shown!  Maybe it was this ability to ghost on the pitch that impressed Ollie? 😀
Posted by: Teesknees, January 13, 2020, 5:08pm; Reply: 8
Had more clubs than Peter Stringfellow!
Posted by: Hagrid, January 13, 2020, 5:09pm; Reply: 9
Ermm i know not to judge on stats but not sure on this. Lots of clubs,
No real goals? Would be an odd one
Posted by: The_Laughing_Mariner, January 13, 2020, 5:10pm; Reply: 10
Saw Maidenhead at Notts C on boxing day.
Don't know if he was playing that day but trust me none of their strikers could hit a cows bottom with a banjo.
Everything was miles high and wide.
I think one if their shot is still in orbit
Posted by: gaz57, January 13, 2020, 5:15pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from davmariner

Great song for adapting for football.
Something like
When I get older
I'll be a footballer
Just for the Mariners the The Mariners the Mariners.
Try the words while watching the video.
Posted by: gaz57, January 13, 2020, 5:25pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from Teesknees

He had no trouble scoring.
Posted by: Neilo83, January 13, 2020, 5:26pm; Reply: 13
Anywhere to see how many assists he’s got?
Posted by: buckstown, January 13, 2020, 5:31pm; Reply: 14
Surely this is a wind up?
Posted by: hheh2, January 13, 2020, 5:32pm; Reply: 15
Don't think this is too concrete
Posted by: Les Brechin, January 13, 2020, 5:35pm; Reply: 16
Doesn't seem to stick around long anywere. Had 3 clubs last year alone!
Posted by: Swansea_Mariner, January 13, 2020, 5:43pm; Reply: 17
Shocking record I'm thinking someone has got the wrong end of the stick with this one.
Posted by: Mendonca1995, January 13, 2020, 5:51pm; Reply: 18
His record in non-league is dreadful surely we’re not in for him
Posted by: gaz57, January 13, 2020, 5:56pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from hheh2
Don't think this is too concrete

More like mud and mud should be kept on the mud. UTMM
Posted by: Ipswin, January 13, 2020, 6:10pm; Reply: 20
FFS must be a wind up, please

Sounds like Ogbu but according to Wiki does a triple back flip when if he scores
Posted by: mariner2000, January 13, 2020, 6:55pm; Reply: 21
Could be another stirker that will be used on the wing...
Posted by: Stew0_0, January 13, 2020, 7:25pm; Reply: 22
Think hes only been linked as would have been in the youth set-up at Palace when Holloway was in charge. Think this is just a weak rumour with no legs to it
Posted by: moosey_club, January 13, 2020, 7:25pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from Hagrid

Well add the stats to that "showreel" and i would think you would be wholly justified in your opinion. Dont think i have ever seen a showreel where the subject wasted the ball so much.
A shorter, err stockier...Serge & Tombola immediately sprang to mind.

Posted by: golfer, January 13, 2020, 7:29pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from Teesknees

You are allowed 14
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, January 13, 2020, 7:30pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from golfer

You are allowed 14

Needs a driver

Preferably in a taxi
Posted by: golfer, January 13, 2020, 7:40pm; Reply: 26
Just signed for Liverpool for £85million----3year contract £5million a year - we could have had him for £100  6months rolling contract on £50 a week - just shows what you lot know
Posted by: bigdavemariner, January 13, 2020, 9:24pm; Reply: 27
Matt Dean just tweeted to say the lad is on trial with us for the week

Makes sense if he's worked with IH in the past and no harm in watching him train

If he's shite then nothing lost
Posted by: WayneBurnettsJockstrap, January 13, 2020, 11:10pm; Reply: 28
Well from watching his show reel, and yes I know it showed a lot of miscontrol, but it also showed in a good light that he has pace, is prepared to take on players and when he hits the ball, it stays hit. Apart from a few clips playing for CP, you have to remember that all the other clips are playing in the lower leagues and so the quality of the players he is playing with puts into question whether he could step up and play with league players.

Let me put it another way.........he can't be any worse than Akheem Rose. Can you just imagine how many seconds long his showreel would be! Blink and you'd miss it....just like his ball control and shots on goal.
Posted by: PoutonStepover, January 13, 2020, 11:29pm; Reply: 29
Let me put it another way.........he can't be any worse than Akheem Rose. Can you just imagine how many seconds long his showreel would be! Blink and you'd miss it....just like his ball control and shots on goal.

What a ridiculous comparison! One played his first professional game 16 months ago, the other 9 years.

Stick Rose in the 7th/8th tier for 5 years like this kid and he’d have twice as many goals and plenty of showreel 🙄

It’s like comparing mud with concrete.
Posted by: Rik e B, January 14, 2020, 12:21am; Reply: 30
Mud should be on mud, not concrete, don't you know.
Posted by: Mayaman, January 14, 2020, 4:39am; Reply: 31
I watched the video posted on here and the clip moves on before you see if the shot went in or not
Posted by: Garth, January 14, 2020, 7:39am; Reply: 32
Underwhelming to say the least, bottom of conference fodder
Posted by: H19P1, January 14, 2020, 8:26am; Reply: 33
You never know guys he may be awesome with us. If he actually signs and plays 10 plus games then surely he can then be judged?

These are the types of signings that can give extra money in the bank in a few years time and progress the club.

You'd rather try than do nothing at all
Posted by: aldi_01, January 14, 2020, 8:33am; Reply: 34
I mean he looks a bit shite but then to be fair, what would people make of these sort of videos of players in our squad?

Who actually knows, like any job, any employee is a gamble when you take them on...
Posted by: Bradford Mariner, January 14, 2020, 8:46am; Reply: 35
If Jolley had considered someone with this track record he'd have got slaughtered.

We shouldn't touch this one with a barge pole.

UTM

Posted by: Rodley Mariner, January 14, 2020, 8:57am; Reply: 36
He's having a trial. If he's as poor as everyone assumes that will be it. Guess he had him as a kid at Palace and maybe thought he had something. Don't see the harm in having a look.
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, January 14, 2020, 9:09am; Reply: 37
Quoted from Bradford Mariner
If Jolley had considered someone with this track record he'd have got slaughtered.

We shouldn't touch this one with a barge pole.

UTM

Assume this is simply down to the fact that IH would have seen him play as a youngster and know he has talent and is probably very surprised he has not made use of that. So by asking him for a week he can see if he still has that natural talent, will be able to judge better where he is mentally and to sit down with him to see if any desire to make it still burns inside him.

Nothing ventured nothing gained and what do we lose by having him train up here for a week?

I would suggest players actually train with us on a pretty regular basis however this fact is never released to us fans.
Posted by: ginnywings, January 14, 2020, 9:22am; Reply: 38
Wiki says he's crap, so he must be crap. It still baffles me that players can be judged solely based on a 2 minute internet search. He may be one of the ones who had IH's phone melting to his ear and Ollie said ok, come along and show us what you've got. He may be one of several we have a look at, doesn't mean he's an imminent signing. Or maybe he is just what we are looking for- i'm sure those at the club are in a better position to judge than we are.
Posted by: Zmariner, January 14, 2020, 9:29am; Reply: 39
Quoted from ginnywings
Wiki says he's crap, so he must be crap. It still baffles me that players can be judged solely based on a 2 minute internet search. He may be one of the ones who had IH's phone melting to his ear and Ollie said ok, come along and show us what you've got. He may be one of several we have a look at, doesn't mean he's an imminent signing. Or maybe he is just what we are looking for- i'm sure those at the club are in a better position to judge than we are.

Exactly , what harm does it do. Let the manager, manage. We are going nowhere this season and so need to be patient. I am happy with further consolidation next season and gradual improvement. This would be much better than recent times utm
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, January 14, 2020, 10:37am; Reply: 40
Quoted from ginnywings

I would think this is close to the truth. He probably asked for the trial not the other way round. I cannot see IH wasting valuable budget on somebody who is not going to bring what we need. There are enough players at the non-strikers end in the club already.
Posted by: scrumble, January 14, 2020, 10:57am; Reply: 41
If that video is made up of his best moves then I need to be having talks with Town.
Posted by: golfer, January 14, 2020, 5:56pm; Reply: 42
Actually I am going against the majority and think that he will be signed and prove a valuable asset if Ollie can stop him being so greedy
Posted by: Tinymariner, January 14, 2020, 6:07pm; Reply: 43
Could have some great songs with the name though  ;) to the tune of abracadabra.
Posted by: SomeSanity, January 14, 2020, 6:14pm; Reply: 44
By the looks of the video it appears he has been utilised as a winger.

If the manager thinks he is good enough then he would be a welcome addition in my opinion, I think we’ve all been saying for months that this team lacks width.
Posted by: Theimperialcoroner, January 14, 2020, 7:32pm; Reply: 45
So he’s been kicking about non league, he might be the next Vardy or the next Ademeno. Maybe though he’s worth a shout.
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, January 14, 2020, 7:48pm; Reply: 46
Quoted from Theimperialcoroner
So he’s been kicking about non league, he might be the next Vardy or the next Ademeno. Maybe though he’s worth a shout.

On the flip side he could also be the next Robles!!...not feeling it myself, he's not done anything of any note in non league...
Posted by: Meza, January 14, 2020, 7:49pm; Reply: 47
rough diamond maybe?  still young and might become a better player around better players.
Posted by: ginnywings, January 14, 2020, 7:53pm; Reply: 48
Quoted from Meza
rough diamond maybe?  still young and might become a better player around better players.

"Young" may be stretching it a bit.
Posted by: Davec, January 14, 2020, 7:57pm; Reply: 49
Quoted from Meza

He is 27 years old...
Posted by: forza ivano, January 14, 2020, 8:09pm; Reply: 50
He's Holloways Robles !! Maidenhead are bloody useless
Posted by: Abdul19, January 14, 2020, 10:08pm; Reply: 51
Quoted from Davec

He is 27 years old...

Blimey. So he wasn't that young when IH was at Palace. Ah well, nowt to lose but a bit of petrol money*.

* complete guess, no idea how these things work
Posted by: Oly1987, January 15, 2020, 9:27am; Reply: 52
I think it's worth letting the lad have a trial and I'm sure IH is capable of seeing if he has anything to offer. Could be that he has some potential that needs a bit of the Holloway nurturing to unlock. Could be that hes rubbish and we dont sign him. Only time will tell.
Posted by: WayneBurnettsJockstrap, January 15, 2020, 9:52am; Reply: 53
Quoted from Northbank Mariner

On the flip side he could also be the next Robles!!...not feeling it myself, he's not done anything of any note in non league...

You have to remember that its not all about one player. He may not have done anything of note in non-league because the standard of players have not been able to perform AS A TEAM and provide him with the outlet he might need.

A team is only as good as its weakest link so if that weakest link is of a much better standard at GTFC then it may just be what he is looking for.

Offering a trial is best all round to see what he is capable of. He may surprise all the soothesayers and become a member of the team, but then again it may not work out for him and he is back playing for Maidenhead again.

Nothing ventured nothing gained.

Posted by: 123614 (Guest), January 15, 2020, 10:10am; Reply: 54
Quoted from Hagrid

Depends what potential IH sees in him.. I see lightening pace, I see he likes to get to the byline, he sees a pass and he CAN score goals given the right opportunity, AND he celebrates with a TRIPLE somersault.  :)  Could be more of a winger than a striker!

Posted by: monkeyboy, January 15, 2020, 10:41am; Reply: 55
And will be relatively cheap coming from the lower leagues. Could be training full time could help unveil a gem or a turd
Posted by: WayneBurnettsJockstrap, January 15, 2020, 10:47am; Reply: 56
Quoted from 123614

Depends what potential IH sees in him.. I see lightening pace, I see he likes to get to the byline, he sees a pass and he CAN score goals given the right opportunity, AND he celebrates with a TRIPLE somersault.  :)  Could be more of a winger than a striker!

Couldnt agree more. It seems all people were watching for in his showreel was how often he hit the back of the net, not what else he looked capable of doing.

Lets face it, if Ollie has even given him the opportunity to prove himself, then the great man himself must see SOMETHING in him, and who are we to question his great wisdom, knowledge and integrity?
Posted by: grimsby pete, January 15, 2020, 10:48am; Reply: 57
I am sure if he has got it in him to be a good player Ollie will bring it out if not he will not be signed,
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, January 15, 2020, 1:14pm; Reply: 58
If there was any doubting his ability, then IH would've dismissed the trial straight away. The last thing you want is some clogger Injuring the first team players
Posted by: 137 (Guest), January 15, 2020, 1:32pm; Reply: 59
Quoted from Tinymariner
Could have some great songs with the name though  ;) to the tune of abracadabra.

Impressed with this!

Wasn't easy to find a (fairly) compelling reason to sign this guy, looking at his stats.  :)

I think IH looks at the person first. That's one of the things that makes him stand out as a manager imo.
Posted by: WayneBurnettsJockstrap, January 26, 2020, 1:19am; Reply: 60
Has anybody heard anymore about Sekajja?

Surely his weeks trial has come and gone or is he still training with Town?
Posted by: PoutonStepover, January 26, 2020, 6:08am; Reply: 61
Has anybody heard anymore about Sekajja?

Surely his weeks trial has come and gone or is he still training with Town?

He’s gone, Ollie mentioned it in his pre or post match Video, didn’t say why.
Posted by: moosey_club, January 26, 2020, 6:12pm; Reply: 62
Quoted from PoutonStepover

He’s gone, Ollie mentioned it in his pre or post match Video, didn’t say why.

probably because he played and looked liked the bloke we saw in the "highlights" reel and not like the young lad at Palace that IH remembers.
Print page generated: March 29, 2024, 5:07am