Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: scott_gtfc_89, January 13, 2020, 11:32am
Don’t know how reliable this source is but:

https://www.footballinsider247.com/exclusive-brighton-attacker-in-advanced-talks-to-join-new-club/amp/
Posted by: dicko995, January 13, 2020, 11:42am; Reply: 1
Hasn't scored a goal yet...….. should fit in well :)
Posted by: Swansea_Mariner, January 13, 2020, 11:52am; Reply: 2
Sounds promising!
Posted by: mimma, January 13, 2020, 12:04pm; Reply: 3
"Can play on either wing" . Sounds like Ollie is ditching the wingless philosophy and likes to play it out wide and get behind teams.

Wonder if he will move the touchline back to give a bit more width???
Posted by: Tinymariner, January 13, 2020, 12:17pm; Reply: 4
Fits with what I was told, IH went to Brighton on Friday, we’re waiting for the player to decide his future.
Posted by: Mariner16, January 13, 2020, 12:28pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from mimma
"Can play on either wing" . Sounds like Ollie is ditching the wingless philosophy and likes to play it out wide and get behind teams.

Wonder if he will move the touchline back to give a bit more width???

Impossible to do at BP

Posted by: Rik e B, January 13, 2020, 12:34pm; Reply: 6
And Ollie wants players who can play a few roles when working within the constraints of a tight playing budget like he is.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, January 13, 2020, 12:34pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from Mariner16

Impossible to do at BP

At one time we were very well known for wingers so there’s obviously ample room out there.

Posted by: nealeardleyscrossing, January 13, 2020, 12:38pm; Reply: 8
I have heard you are after Tom Pett from us - Swindon also want him.
Posted by: Rik e B, January 13, 2020, 12:42pm; Reply: 9
Our pitch is quite big isn't it?
Posted by: sam gy, January 13, 2020, 12:53pm; Reply: 10
I have heard you are after Tom Pett from us - Swindon also want him.

Dropping down a league? Hope his career isn’t Free Fallin’, etc etc
Posted by: Meza, January 13, 2020, 12:59pm; Reply: 11
Can't believe Andrade has joined Salford how can you leave a league 1 team for peanuts although I don't know the fee it's undisclosed.  I'd want atleast a million for him.
Posted by: Hagrid, January 13, 2020, 1:03pm; Reply: 12
A million😂😂😂😂
Posted by: davmariner, January 13, 2020, 1:04pm; Reply: 13
Saw him play recently at Yeovil. Didn’t think much of him tbh.
Posted by: WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP, January 13, 2020, 1:08pm; Reply: 14
So we could end up playing with proper wingers on both sides? hmmmm, Holloway certainly is bringing some interesting new concepts to BP
Posted by: Rik e B, January 13, 2020, 1:09pm; Reply: 15
Haven't seen proper wingers since AB MKII it seems to me
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, January 13, 2020, 1:11pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from Rik e B
Haven't seen proper wingers since AB MKII it seems to me

There haven’t been any since Johnny Scott & Jimmy Fell. ;)

Posted by: Mariner16, January 13, 2020, 1:12pm; Reply: 17

At one time we were very well known for wingers so there’s obviously ample room out there.

What I meant was the line virtually meets up with the dugout areas so no room there and the linos need room so I believe the BP pitch as it its maximum dimensions already.

If you need space out wide you need to have a system in place to make room, something Buckleys teams could do

Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, January 13, 2020, 1:19pm; Reply: 18

Whingers?
Posted by: Ipswin, January 13, 2020, 1:24pm; Reply: 19

A man after my own heart We've had some good wingers over the years haven't we? Doug Collins and Jimmy Pennington remember him? Freddie Jones he played in the 1962 promotion team when Rafferty scored a hatful. Brian Hill of course, Stuart Brace, Alan Gauden we've had a few who burnt up the touchline.

Posted by: nealeardleyscrossing, January 13, 2020, 1:24pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from Meza
Can't believe Andrade has joined Salford how can you leave a league 1 team for peanuts although I don't know the fee it's undisclosed.  I'd want atleast a million for him.

Not sure if you are getting him mixed up - He is decent on his day, and was good in L2 last year but he has done little in L1, though he has been injured for weeks, He had 6 months and for that contract time i think we got a decent fee. But we can't afford 6k a week. I imagine a coupke of our players Walker and Morrell are on 5k, but they stand out for us at this level. Salford will end up in the championship being watched by 3k home fans. Bit silly really
Posted by: mimma, January 13, 2020, 1:25pm; Reply: 21
When talking about wingers don't forget Mike Brolly and Diddy Dave Gilbert. What a pair of wingers they were .
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, January 13, 2020, 1:27pm; Reply: 22
Dave Gilbert and Gary child's did ok for us

Bonneti, donavan too
Posted by: nealeardleyscrossing, January 13, 2020, 1:27pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from sam gy

He can't get in our side. I actually like him, very creative and played for us last year a lot. We have just got an West Ham lad who has just signed a 3 year deal with West Ham and is highy rated so that has pushed him further down the pecking order and we would most probably need to free some ages. We signed 4 on Friday so need to get rid of a few - He is good though - Hence Swindon, who are top want him too..

Posted by: TownSNAFU5, January 13, 2020, 1:59pm; Reply: 24
Nobody has mentioned Brian Hill from the 1960s.  I just about remember him.
Posted by: Son of Cod, January 13, 2020, 2:07pm; Reply: 25

Not sure if you are getting him mixed up - He is decent on his day, and was good in L2 last year but he has done little in L1, though he has been injured for weeks, He had 6 months and for that contract time i think we got a decent fee. But we can't afford 6k a week. I imagine a coupke of our players Walker and Morrell are on 5k, but they stand out for us at this level. Salford will end up in the championship being watched by 3k home fans. Bit silly really

The Cowleys wanted a million for him in the summer though, didn't they? As far as I remember they pretty much said their incoming transfers would depend to a certain degree on how much they could get for him.

L1 seems to be a bit of a glass ceiling for these pet projects too so they'll have to do something the likes of Rushden and Diamonds, Crawley and Fleetwood all failed to do if they're to get to the second tier.
Posted by: dicko995, January 13, 2020, 2:20pm; Reply: 26
Brian Hill and Bobby Cummings stood out for me, Dougie Collins was a bit slow, but had a trick or two. Always remember John Fielding goal at home to Hull, supposed to be a cross from the right wing and straight into the goal,:)
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, January 13, 2020, 2:20pm; Reply: 27
Fgr another vanity project
Posted by: mariner tommy, January 13, 2020, 2:20pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from Mariner16

What I meant was the line virtually meets up with the dugout areas so no room there and the linos need room so I believe the BP pitch as it its maximum dimensions already.

If you need space out wide you need to have a system in place to make room, something Buckleys teams could do

That’s not entirely correct, I seem to remember the touch lines were moved inward a couple or three seasons back.
I think I remember 400mm each side being mentioned.
Posted by: barrattstandman, January 13, 2020, 2:22pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
Nobody has mentioned Brian Hill from the 1960s.  I just about remember him.

Jimmy Fell who went to Everton
Posted by: Madeleymariner, January 13, 2020, 2:22pm; Reply: 30
Tony Ford he was all about kick and outpace on the wings in his earlier days.
Posted by: barrattstandman, January 13, 2020, 2:25pm; Reply: 31
Quoted from mariner tommy

That’s not entirely correct, I seem to remember the touch lines were moved inward about 400mm each side, a couple of seasons back.

Can't alter pitch sizes after  season begins . Only during close season and authorities have to be told of dimensions.
Posted by: Ipswin, January 13, 2020, 2:25pm; Reply: 32
I can't for the life of me remember his first name or anything about him but I'm sure we had a winger called Martin who played a good number of games on the left wing (when wingers were number 7 or number 11)
Posted by: mariner tommy, January 13, 2020, 2:26pm; Reply: 33
Quoted from barrattstandman

Can't alter pitch sizes after  season begins . Only during close season and authorities have to be told of dimensions.

It was before the season started.
Posted by: Ipswin, January 13, 2020, 2:27pm; Reply: 34
Quoted from dicko995
Brian Hill and Bobby Cummings stood out for me, Dougie Collins was a bit slow, but had a trick or two. Always remember John Fielding goal at home to Hull, supposed to be a cross from the right wing and straight into the goal,:)

I remember Doug Collins being so fast that his legs ran away with him and he couldn't stop until he hit the fencing in front of the Pontoon still with the ball!

Posted by: nealeardleyscrossing, January 13, 2020, 2:29pm; Reply: 35
Quoted from Son of Cod

The Cowleys wanted a million for him in the summer though, didn't they? As far as I remember they pretty much said their incoming transfers would depend to a certain degree on how much they could get for him.

L1 seems to be a bit of a glass ceiling for these pet projects too so they'll have to do something the likes of Rushden and Diamonds, Crawley and Fleetwood all failed to do if they're to get to the second tier.

I agree - But I have never heard anyone suggest he is worth a million or thought he's worth that - I suppose if they did they would have offered him more than 6k at Huddersfield.

Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, January 13, 2020, 2:33pm; Reply: 36
Quoted from Ipswin
I can't for the life of me remember his first name or anything about him but I'm sure we had a winger called Martin who played a good number of games on the left wing (when wingers were number 7 or number 11)

We had a Geoff Martin in the 60's IIRC. Wasn't he the Collins replacement?
Posted by: Rik e B, January 13, 2020, 2:33pm; Reply: 37
Late starter as Dad didn't like football and had to take myself aged 15 mid nineties but still I see Childs, Oster, Donovan, Kingsley Black, Bonetti. Died a death since then with either pacey forwards being put on the wing, Coulson etc or versatile central midfielders, Toner and the like. Never the same.
Posted by: Rik e B, January 13, 2020, 2:36pm; Reply: 38
Wasn't it Sladeball that shortened the width of pitch? Think we lengthened grass too 🙄... The signs were ominous from the start, we need to be eeking back that 80cm width preseason and stretching teams 👌
Posted by: mariner tommy, January 13, 2020, 2:41pm; Reply: 39
Quoted from Rik e B
Wasn't it Sladeball that shortened the width of pitch? Think we lengthened grass too 🙄... The signs were ominous from the start, we need to be eeking back that 80cm width preseason and stretching teams 👌

It could’ve been yes, I can’t remember exactly when it was .
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, January 13, 2020, 2:47pm; Reply: 40

Came from Workington. Same club as Charlie Wright.

What about Jimmy Pennington!!

The two quickest touch line huggers I can recall were Freddie Jones and Paul Emson.

Posted by: Abdul19, January 13, 2020, 3:03pm; Reply: 41
Marcel Cas is the quickest I can remember. Awesome.
Posted by: Teesknees, January 13, 2020, 3:04pm; Reply: 42
Wasn't Frank Sharp a winger? I can't remember much about him, apart from a moustache?!
Posted by: drew peacock, January 13, 2020, 3:09pm; Reply: 43
Des Hazel could shift.
Posted by: chrissy, January 13, 2020, 3:11pm; Reply: 44
Quoted from Teesknees
Wasn't Frank Sharp a winger? I can't remember much about him, apart from a moustache?!

Yes he played on the left,

Stuart Brace  always started on the wing but cut in a lot and scored a good few,
Posted by: Stew0_0, January 13, 2020, 3:21pm; Reply: 45
Fastest town winger i can remember was Mark Smith. Also Gary Cohen was fast when not injured
Posted by: 123614 (Guest), January 13, 2020, 3:24pm; Reply: 46

Now they were the two greatest wingers I can remember watching at BP.  Johnny Scott, Irish International, if I remember right, not sure about Fell though.

Posted by: jock dock tower, January 13, 2020, 3:26pm; Reply: 47

Jimmy Pennington or Dougie Collins and Brian Hill?
Posted by: ginnywings, January 13, 2020, 3:26pm; Reply: 48
Grimsby live saying "We understand a deal has been reached".....
Posted by: 123614 (Guest), January 13, 2020, 3:27pm; Reply: 49
Quoted from dicko995
Hasn't scored a goal yet...….. should fit in well :)

He can play on both wings and in midfield, so maybe he is a provider rather than an out and out striker.

Posted by: jock dock tower, January 13, 2020, 3:29pm; Reply: 50
Bobby Cumming on the wing...or midfield...or centre forward...or left back.
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, January 13, 2020, 3:32pm; Reply: 51
Or Bobby Cumming off the pitch putting Norman Hunter across the ashes into the hoardings. 😏😀
Posted by: buckstown, January 13, 2020, 4:08pm; Reply: 52
Is it the James Tilley who's been playing for Yeovil?
Posted by: mariner tommy, January 13, 2020, 4:12pm; Reply: 53
Quoted from buckstown
Is it the James Tilley who's been playing for Yeovil?

Yes, on loan.
Posted by: pontoonlew, January 13, 2020, 4:47pm; Reply: 54
Yeovil fans rate him very highly, looks pretty promising.
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, January 13, 2020, 4:58pm; Reply: 55
With the speculation around these 2 (Tilley and Ibra) I think the writing is on the wall for Harry Cardwell and possibly Jordan Cook too unfortunately...
Posted by: rancido, January 13, 2020, 4:59pm; Reply: 56
Quoted from sam gy

Maybe he "won't back down" a league!
Posted by: AdamHaddock, January 13, 2020, 5:02pm; Reply: 57
I'll wait Tilley signs before commenting
Posted by: rancido, January 13, 2020, 5:03pm; Reply: 58

I remember Geoff Martin and he was garbage and also not very fast! Brian Hill was a speedy winger but sadly didn't like being tackled hard.
Posted by: buckstown, January 13, 2020, 5:09pm; Reply: 59
Quoted from pontoonlew
Yeovil fans rate him very highly, looks pretty promising.

Have you got a link to their comments please? Looked for a Yeovil forum but couldn't see anything
Posted by: Garth, January 13, 2020, 5:12pm; Reply: 60
The fastest player ever to grace BP was Reddy, by a country mile
Posted by: forza ivano, January 13, 2020, 5:18pm; Reply: 61
Quoted from Garth

think you are forgetting Gary Cohen  ;)
Posted by: acko338, January 13, 2020, 5:26pm; Reply: 62
Livvo had the turning circle of a tanker, but could barge in wherever he needed to be.
Posted by: mimma, January 13, 2020, 5:31pm; Reply: 63
Quoted from Garth

But he was fast in the fourth tier. Ford was fast in the second tier.

Football is a lot faster these days so it's hard to compare.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, January 13, 2020, 5:47pm; Reply: 64
Quoted from rancido

I remember Geoff Martin and he was garbage and also not very fast! Brian Hill was a speedy winger but sadly didn't like being tackled hard.

Geoff Martin was like Dennis Fidler who we signed from Port Vale to replace Jimmy Fell when he went to Everton.. They both had a stepover trick but no speed. Fidler scored one brilliant goal at the Pontoon End where he beat 2 or 3 defenders coming along the goal line from the corner flag and then dummied the keeper. We thought he was like Puskas with his left foot but that was all he ever did at Town and we let him go after only a few games.

I didn't think Brian Hill was afraid of tackles, he played a lot of games for Town and Huddersfield and I think Blackburn. He tackled Stanley Mathews alright when he came with Stoke. I do remember Hill's hat trick and a brilliant volley when we beat Scunthorpe 7-0 at BP. It was a trick free kick flipped up by Billy Rudd and Hill just wellied it in from 25 yards. It was a copy of a goal Coventry scored on Match Of The Day and there was talk of the trick being banned because the ball did not travel its circumference.

Posted by: Billywhiz, January 13, 2020, 5:47pm; Reply: 65
Seem to remember a winger ( local guy ) Alan Gauden who was fairly speedy and of course Stuart Brace was pretty quick.
Posted by: pizzzza, January 13, 2020, 5:51pm; Reply: 66
Quoted from mimma

But he was fast in the fourth tier. Ford was fast in the second tier.

Football is a lot faster these days so it's hard to compare.

Fast is fast no matter what division you are in.
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, January 13, 2020, 5:55pm; Reply: 67
Quoted from Billywhiz
Seem to remember a winger ( local guy ) Alan Gauden who was fairly speedy and of course Stuart Brace was pretty quick.

Think that was probably Paul Emson who RR mentioned in an earlier post, local lad who we signed from Derby.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, January 13, 2020, 5:55pm; Reply: 68
Quoted from Billywhiz

Alan Gauden, I think, came to us from Darlington. Surprised nobody has mentioned Paul Emson and Tony Ford - both very rapid.
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, January 13, 2020, 5:56pm; Reply: 69
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Alan Gauden, I think, came to us from Darlington. Surprised nobody has mentioned Paul Emson and Tony Ford - both very rapid.

Think you need to read through this thread again Codger as both been mentioned
Posted by: The_Laughing_Mariner, January 13, 2020, 5:58pm; Reply: 70
No mention of quick Mick Boulding
Posted by: davmariner, January 13, 2020, 5:59pm; Reply: 71
My Yeovil mate says this:

“ It looks likely that you’ll sign James Tilley. 😔

He’s a good player and if he’s given the freedom is a real threat. If your centre forwards are any good Tilley will assist with lots of goals;  going dent our promotion bid, but good signing for the Mariners.”
Posted by: LH, January 13, 2020, 6:01pm; Reply: 72
Quoted from pizzzza

Fast is fast no matter what division you are in.

No they use KMH in the Championship so 160KMH is faster than 100mph. They use Knots in non-league.
Posted by: arryarryarry, January 13, 2020, 6:28pm; Reply: 73
Quoted from mariner tommy

That’s not entirely correct, I seem to remember the touch lines were moved inward a couple or three seasons back.
I think I remember 400mm each side being mentioned.

Yep, they were.

Not sure if there is much room on the dugout side but a couple of metres spare on the Youngs Stand side just about.
Posted by: The_Laughing_Mariner, January 13, 2020, 6:29pm; Reply: 74
Then you would have to move the goalposts.  Literally
Posted by: arryarryarry, January 13, 2020, 6:33pm; Reply: 75

Geoff Martin was like Dennis Fidler who we signed from Port Vale to replace Jimmy Fell when he went to Everton.. They both had a stepover trick but no speed. Fidler scored one brilliant goal at the Pontoon End where he beat 2 or 3 defenders coming along the goal line from the corner flag and then dummied the keeper. We thought he was like Puskas with his left foot but that was all he ever did at Town and we let him go after only a few games.

I didn't think Brian Hill was afraid of tackles, he played a lot of games for Town and Huddersfield and I think Blackburn. He tackled Stanley Mathews alright when he came with Stoke. I do remember Hill's hat trick and a brilliant volley when we beat Scunthorpe 7-0 at BP. It was a trick free kick flipped up by Billy Rudd and Hill just wellied it in from 25 yards. It was a copy of a goal Coventry scored on Match Of The Day and there was talk of the trick being banned because the ball did not travel its circumference.

7th September 1966, Town won 7-1, my first ever game. :)

Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, January 13, 2020, 6:35pm; Reply: 76
Quoted from arryarryarry

Right. They did score. Was it Bobby Smith and we signed him later on the strength of it?

Posted by: The_Laughing_Mariner, January 13, 2020, 6:35pm; Reply: 77
To be announced tomorrow according to Grimsby Live
Posted by: arryarryarry, January 13, 2020, 6:39pm; Reply: 78
Then you would have to move the goalposts.  Literally

Not suggesting they do it but pointing out that the pitch was made smaller and therefore the pitch is not at its maximum.
Posted by: arryarryarry, January 13, 2020, 6:44pm; Reply: 79

Right. They did score. Was it Bobby Smith and we signed him later on the strength of it?

Haven't found the scorers but the attendance was 8,255.
Posted by: IlkleyMariner, January 13, 2020, 6:48pm; Reply: 80
Quoted from arryarryarry

My mates Dave Tim and me went to sexy Scandinavian trip and missed the game. Before the age of mobile phones and tinternet we went down to Copenhagen station and bought the Daily Mail to get the results.

Could not believe it! Was it better to miss the game and have them win?
Can't answer the question but danish blondes were very welcoming.  😇

Posted by: arryarryarry, January 13, 2020, 6:49pm; Reply: 81
Jackie Lewis was pretty quick.
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, January 13, 2020, 7:02pm; Reply: 82
Keep an eye on it, apparently should be confirmed tomorrow...
Posted by: promotion plaice, January 13, 2020, 7:24pm; Reply: 83

Strange that our location doesn't seem to be a problem anymore   :)
Posted by: Mendonca1995, January 13, 2020, 7:26pm; Reply: 84
Quoted from Garth

I agree but I reckon David Nielsen would’ve give him a run for his money
Posted by: Ipswin, January 13, 2020, 7:34pm; Reply: 85
Quoted from arryarryarry

Haven't found the scorers but the attendance was 8,255.

Rod Green 3 Brian Hill 3 and Sir Matt, I stood in the Imperial open corner - what a fantastic night that was Ray Clemence never got over it. Poor sod was only 18

Wainman, Thompson, Taylor, Ross, Jobling, Cockerill, Worthington, Tees, Green, Rudd, Hill

First of a run of 4 wins on the bounce (best run of the season) Tees and Green went to Charlton inJanuary

Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, January 13, 2020, 7:42pm; Reply: 86
I was in Mablethorpe for our annual weeks holiday, those were the days !,

Watched Mablethorpe in Lincs league game that night and then heard the results later that night. Played with Brian Hill for Market Rasen in mid seventies and he was still a quality player and still see him at club reunions and funerals. Last time though was v Macclesfield last year when he was with his Macc supporting brother. Unfortunately like Matt think Brian is suffering from dementia but not as seriously when I saw him although he maybe just wanted to forget all the chances I missed, the white LJL of Rasen 😄
Posted by: Cod Cheeks, January 13, 2020, 8:12pm; Reply: 87
Quoted from Mariner16

Impossible to do at BP

Wasn't it narrowed a few seasons back by Slade or Bignot for their hoofball game?
Posted by: PoutonStepover, January 13, 2020, 8:23pm; Reply: 88
No mention of quick Mick Boulding

Boulding Mk1 was the fastest player I’ve ever seen at BP, he had lost a bit of his pace when he came back from Villa, I suppose they trained him more on his all round game rather than his pace.
Posted by: Running like emson, January 13, 2020, 8:23pm; Reply: 89

Came from Workington. Same club as Charlie Wright.

What about Jimmy Pennington!!

The two quickest touch line huggers I can recall were Freddie Jones and Paul Emson.

Recognition at last !!
Posted by: Rik e B, January 13, 2020, 8:29pm; Reply: 90
Is Tilley fast or are we just going off on a wild tangent here?
Posted by: Rik e B, January 13, 2020, 8:29pm; Reply: 91
Quick Mick faster than Reddy I'd say.
Posted by: Swansea_Mariner, January 13, 2020, 8:45pm; Reply: 92
I'd agree with that Rik Boulding would do Ready in a foot race.
Posted by: Stew0_0, January 13, 2020, 8:54pm; Reply: 93
Tilley looks to have a bit of speed watching footage of Yeovil on youtube and very industrious with the ball. Most importantly looks like he takes a decent corner also.
His style of play reminds me of Jon Nolan
Posted by: Maringer, January 13, 2020, 10:13pm; Reply: 94
Quoted from Swansea_Mariner
I'd agree with that Rik Boulding would do Ready in a foot race.

Over a shorter distance (say, 30 yards), perhaps. Once Reddy opened his legs up, he really, really shifted and I'd be surprised if Boulding could have kept up. Reddy was a six-footer, let's not forget. This is in a foot race without the ball. Quick Mick was very rapid with the ball at his feet so would have won in that situation - not just kick and rush.
Posted by: moosey_club, January 13, 2020, 10:47pm; Reply: 95

One of my favourite moments this goal from Cohen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXxgphXTobc

Plenty of Reddy's speed in here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JYnG-5sNcU

Posted by: Mikey_345, January 13, 2020, 10:53pm; Reply: 96
Quoted from Rik e B
Is Tilley fast or are we just going off on a wild tangent here?

What? The fishy? Never! 😂
Posted by: livvo, January 13, 2020, 11:02pm; Reply: 97
I had forgotten just how good Reddy was
Posted by: Kris2, January 14, 2020, 12:24am; Reply: 98
Quoted from livvo

Way too good for L2, never would have signed him if he wasn't injury prone as he was. He could have been a star in the championship without the injuries.
Posted by: Mayaman, January 14, 2020, 4:27am; Reply: 99
Quoted from acko338
Livvo had the turning circle of a tanker, but could barge in wherever he needed to be.

ha ha he did.  I saw him score the slowest overhead kick at Charlton. I could have almost ran down from the stand and saved it.  He was a surprised as any that it had gone in.
Posted by: Mayaman, January 14, 2020, 4:28am; Reply: 100
Mendonca was surely the slowest.   I think it was against Barnsley, he beat a defender who went to ground.  The defender managed to get on his feet and catch him up, so he beat him again and he slotted it in the bottom corner.
Posted by: Garth, January 14, 2020, 7:58am; Reply: 101
Quoted from livvo

Took it for granted those days, what a finisher, we were certainly spoilt
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, January 14, 2020, 9:27am; Reply: 102
Quoted from Garth

Took it for granted those days, what a finisher, we were certainly spoilt

One of the good things about modern technology is being able to remind ourselves of goals like that and see them again. I just wish we could see some of the ones we only saw the once. Stuart Brace for instance slotted home at least 3 or 4 as good as Reddy's at BP breaking from around halfway on the left side. I remember a couple from inch perfect assists by Dave Boylen.

Posted by: joe56, January 14, 2020, 10:55am; Reply: 103
I saw all the wingers mentioned on here starting with Johnny Scott and Jimmy Fell. The five fastest in my opinion were, in no particular order, Freddie Jones, Jimmy Pennington, Stuart Brace, Michael Reddy and Mick Boulding. If pushed to name the quickest, I’d find it hard to separate Brace and Reddy. The one thing they all had in common was that they thrived on the ball over the defence or penetrating pass behind the full back for them to run on to. The ‘ball to feet’ was a complete waste of their talents. The only winger in my lifetime who could consistently beat his full back from a standing start was Stan Matthews - I can’t think of anyone else. We’ve had good wingers in the modern era who had real pace, but in my opinion were rarely allowed to use it. Joe Colbeck and Jack Mackreth come to mind. Mackreth was brilliant for Macclesfield running on to through balls, but did little when the ball was played straight to feet during his time with us. A couple of times last season I thought that when Max Wright received the right kind of service he might join our list of all time great wingers, but so far this season he’s rarely had the chance to display his lightning speed with the right kind of assists.
Posted by: Tommy, January 14, 2020, 11:05am; Reply: 104
Was only a loan player but Steve Kabba was pretty rapid. Scored a goal away at Coventry where he ran with the ball the long way around the defender, got in front of him and slammed it in. Think it's on youtube somewhere or has been on the GTFConthisday twitter recently.
Posted by: Abdul19, January 14, 2020, 11:18am; Reply: 105
I know who wasn't the quickest: Murray Jones! Last in his heat in the 1992 Rumbelows Sprint Challenge.
Posted by: nigelh, January 14, 2020, 11:23am; Reply: 106
[url=https://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/18157755.james-tilley-expected-make-move-grimsby/] my local rag [/url] thinks he will be a Grimsby player today
Posted by: Civvy at last, January 14, 2020, 11:25am; Reply: 107
Chris Hargreaves was pretty rapid.

Well it certainly seemed that way when he skipped past me one Sunday morning on Ploggers  :B :B
Posted by: golfer, January 14, 2020, 11:34am; Reply: 108
Freddie Jones fastest over short distance
Posted by: Numanoid, January 14, 2020, 11:42am; Reply: 109
Paul emson was nippy , he looked a lot like rodney trotter too lol😁
Posted by: gaz57, January 14, 2020, 12:02pm; Reply: 110
Quoted from Numanoid
Paul emson was nippy , he looked a lot like rodney trotter too lol😁

Don't you mean Dave  ;)
Posted by: diehardmariner, January 14, 2020, 12:05pm; Reply: 111
Quoted from Abdul19
I know who wasn't the quickest: Murray Jones! Last in his heat in the 1992 Rumbelows Sprint Challenge.

Haha I remember that! I think Macca and Mark Smith were both injured so Jones must have drawn the short straw to go.  He was slow in our squad, never mind against the fastest the league had to offer at that point.  I think the 'Flying Postman' John Williams got a move to the top flight on the back of that didn't he, possibly from the third tier?

If we're talking purely a sprinting race, Gary Cohen would win hands down in my opinion.  He was absolutely electric.  Reddy had the power and the ball control to go with his pace which made him unstoppable.  The first half of the 05/06 season he was a joy to watch.  The goal at home to Torquay is counter-attacking football at it's absolute finest, there was also a goal against (I think Rochdale) where he's in full flight and one of their defenders tries to poleaxe him but basically just gets left in a spin.

But that Cohen goal (above) against Cheltenham....just leaves the guy for dead with a big head start and doesn't even look to be trying.

Posted by: Abdul19, January 14, 2020, 12:12pm; Reply: 112
Quoted from diehardmariner

Haha I remember that! I think Macca and Mark Smith were both injured so Jones must have drawn the short straw to go.  He was slow in our squad, never mind against the fastest the league had to offer at that point.  I think the 'Flying Postman' John Williams got a move to the top flight on the back of that didn't he, possibly from the third tier?

If we're talking purely a sprinting race, Gary Cohen would win hands down in my opinion.  He was absolutely electric.  Reddy had the power and the ball control to go with his pace which made him unstoppable.  The first half of the 05/06 season he was a joy to watch.  The goal at home to Torquay is counter-attacking football at it's absolute finest, there was also a goal against (I think Rochdale) where he's in full flight and one of their defenders tries to poleaxe him but basically just gets left in a spin.

But that Cohen goal (above) against Cheltenham....just leaves the guy for dead with a big head start and doesn't even look to be trying.

Yeah, went from Swansea to Coventry. Won £10k too!

What I liked best about that Cohen goal is Gritton's reaction to it (which isn't shown on the link here) - a look of amazement on his face as he says something along the lines of "how fucking quick?!".
Posted by: gtfc98, January 14, 2020, 12:23pm; Reply: 113
Marcel Cas.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, January 14, 2020, 12:30pm; Reply: 114
Quoted from joe56
I saw all the wingers mentioned on here starting with Johnny Scott and Jimmy Fell. The five fastest in my opinion were, in no particular order, Freddie Jones, Jimmy Pennington, Stuart Brace, Michael Reddy and Mick Boulding. If pushed to name the quickest, I’d find it hard to separate Brace and Reddy. The one thing they all had in common was that they thrived on the ball over the defence or penetrating pass behind the full back for them to run on to. The ‘ball to feet’ was a complete waste of their talents. The only winger in my lifetime who could consistently beat his full back from a standing start was Stan Matthews - I can’t think of anyone else. We’ve had good wingers in the modern era who had real pace, but in my opinion were rarely allowed to use it. Joe Colbeck and Jack Mackreth come to mind. Mackreth was brilliant for Macclesfield running on to through balls, but did little when the ball was played straight to feet during his time with us. A couple of times last season I thought that when Max Wright received the right kind of service he might join our list of all time great wingers, but so far this season he’s rarely had the chance to display his lightning speed with the right kind of assists.

Nice one Joe.  I think Johnny Scott could beat a full back from a standing start, sometimes he went back and did it twice! One thing he would not do is run on to a ball inside the full back. He would stand on the line and wait for a ball to feet, most often in my day from Mick Cullen or Keeley’s  grandad Don Donovan.

Agree about Max. I think as well he has developed a bad habit of turning back and playing a hospital pass inside or back to the full back and standing still instead of going for a return.
Posted by: joe56, January 14, 2020, 1:46pm; Reply: 115
I must admit Ron, on re-reading my post I did expect some comeback on the Matthews comment😉. He was a bit before my time (although I saw him at Blundell Park in what must have been his 50th year - nutmegged by Mick Cullen no less!). I was really thinking that the acknowledged speed merchants rarely ‘did’ the fullback with ball at feet. Cullen and Donovan were both internationals, of course (Don for Ireland and Mick with one cap for Scotland I think).
Posted by: 140067 (Guest), January 14, 2020, 1:52pm; Reply: 116
Tony Ford was pretty quick
Posted by: Civvy at last, January 14, 2020, 2:05pm; Reply: 117
All the above pale into insignificance compared with Tony Gallimore when he heard

‘Last orders at the bar now please’ !!!!
Posted by: The_Laughing_Mariner, January 14, 2020, 3:43pm; Reply: 118
Is this still happening?
Posted by: nigelh, January 14, 2020, 3:48pm; Reply: 119
Is this still happening?

post 106

Posted by: Rik e B, January 14, 2020, 4:00pm; Reply: 120
Is this still happening?

Galli's speed when it comes to last orders at the bar?

Probably.
Posted by: monkeyboy, January 14, 2020, 5:43pm; Reply: 121
Tony Rees had a bit of pace if I remember correctly
Posted by: monkeyboy, January 14, 2020, 5:44pm; Reply: 122
But who was the slowest? Didn’t we sign Brentford’s player of the season in defence only to find him slower than slug. Was it Matt Hayward?
Posted by: Hagrid, January 14, 2020, 5:54pm; Reply: 123
Anyway he’s signed. Waiting for the club announcement but its all done
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, January 14, 2020, 6:28pm; Reply: 124
Quoted from monkeyboy
But who was the slowest? Didn’t we sign Brentford’s player of the season in defence only to find him slower than slug. Was it Matt Hayward?

Tony Crane was not the quickest defender ever was he?

Posted by: Meza, January 14, 2020, 6:32pm; Reply: 125
Peter Till was quite fast
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, January 14, 2020, 7:03pm; Reply: 126
Yeovil apparently are not very quick.
Posted by: Kris2, January 14, 2020, 8:18pm; Reply: 127
Quoted from monkeyboy

Matt Heywood is the worst defender I can ever remember us having, that's an achievement with the back line he played alongside. He had the moving ability of a fridge, they'd already scored by the time he turned around after being beaten outside the box.
Posted by: Rik e B, January 14, 2020, 8:21pm; Reply: 128
A shiver goes down my spine at the very mention.
Posted by: pizzzza, January 14, 2020, 8:39pm; Reply: 129
Quoted from Hagrid
Anyway he’s signed. Waiting for the club announcement but its all done

No excrement.
Posted by: Poojah, January 14, 2020, 8:41pm; Reply: 130
Quoted from Kris2

Matt Heywood is the worst defender I can ever remember us having, that's an achievement with the back line he played alongside. He had the moving ability of a fridge, they'd already scored by the time he turned around after being beaten outside the box.

There's actually something very odd about the case of Matt Heywood. He was 28 when he signed for us, pretty much in his prime, having played almost 300 games at League Two level at least, but mostly in the league above.

He signed having won player of the year at Brentford, where he was the captain. He'd not suffered any major injuries that I'm aware of.

But then here, as you rightly point out, he was an absolute travesty. He left, signed for Barrow, got sacked for 'breach of contract' without ever playing a game, played a few games for Buxton and then never graced a professional football field ever again.

I find it hard to believe that he simply just 'turned 'shìt' overnight; there must've been more to it.
Posted by: Hagrid, January 14, 2020, 8:55pm; Reply: 131
Quoted from pizzzza

No excrement.

Any need?
Posted by: Abdul19, January 14, 2020, 9:00pm; Reply: 132
Heywood is now a postman. I assume there are people still waiting for Christmas cards etc.
Posted by: pizzzza, January 14, 2020, 9:08pm; Reply: 133
Quoted from Hagrid

Any need?

Well, you did try to give an air of being "in the know" whilst clearly and simply stating the obvious.
Posted by: Hagrid, January 14, 2020, 9:20pm; Reply: 134
Quoted from pizzzza

Well, you did try to give an air of being "in the know" whilst clearly simply stating the obvious.
.         Copied it from twitter. Christ almighty
Posted by: moosey_club, January 14, 2020, 9:45pm; Reply: 135
Quoted from Abdul19
Heywood is now a postman. I assume there are people still waiting for Christmas cards etc.

They only let him deliver the 2nd class mail  ;D
Posted by: Fishy clapper, January 14, 2020, 10:10pm; Reply: 136
Quoted from Hagrid
.         Copied it from twitter. Christ almighty

So that’s your source, it all makes sense now. Please green tick me.

Leave your arrogance with the blue font brigade, you’re a nobody on this forum now Hagrid.

You remind me so much of one of them high vis wearing tossers at the tip, do you work there?
Posted by: Rik e B, January 14, 2020, 10:36pm; Reply: 137
Have I missed something, a personal beef over time? All seems a bit harsh
Posted by: oochiad, January 14, 2020, 10:38pm; Reply: 138
Has he signed or not? Did I miss something?
Posted by: forza ivano, January 14, 2020, 10:40pm; Reply: 139
Quoted from Fishy clapper

Leave your arrogance with the blue font brigade, you’re a nobody on this forum now Hagrid.

You remind me so much of one of them high vis wearing tossers at the tip, do you work there?

Is it really necessary? Very juvenile
Posted by: Theimperialcoroner, January 14, 2020, 10:56pm; Reply: 140
Quoted from Kris2

Matt Heywood was so slow he had a reversing siren.
Posted by: golfer, January 14, 2020, 11:05pm; Reply: 141
Does anybody know who has come in and who has gone out -  I'm not sure if we have just signed Ron Rafferty or let Duncan Welbourne have a free transfer.  I know it's some sort of illness but at the moment I can't tell Rumour from Reality.
Posted by: Limerick Mariner, January 14, 2020, 11:21pm; Reply: 142
Quoted from golfer
Does anybody know who has come in and who has gone out -  I'm not sure if we have just signed Ron Rafferty or let Duncan Welbourne have a free transfer.  I know it's some sort of illness but at the moment I can't tell Rumour from Reality.
We signed Kevin Kilmore from Scunthorpe, IH said he has very nice hair...

Posted by: Swansea_Mariner, January 14, 2020, 11:23pm; Reply: 143
Yeah Heywood situation was bizarre, no way looking at his record he should have been that shite. I know lots of players careers have turned to shite here in recent years but that quickly.
Posted by: bobbyturtle, January 15, 2020, 12:00am; Reply: 144
i really hope that james tilleys isnt reading this, pondering whether to sign and his thread has been tuurned into a story about a barge on the humber?
Posted by: golfer, January 15, 2020, 7:45am; Reply: 145
Quoted from bobbyturtle
i really hope that james tilleys isnt reading this, pondering whether to sign and his thread has been tuurned into a story about a barge on the humber?

What has James Tilley got to do with this thread - is he a footballer or something ?
Posted by: tarka, January 15, 2020, 8:17am; Reply: 146

Tony Crane was not the quickest defender ever was he?

When we signed him a Wednesday fan said he had the turning circle of an oil tanker. Sadly, he was correct.
Posted by: LH, January 15, 2020, 8:20am; Reply: 147

Sorry who are you again?
Posted by: Heisenberg, January 15, 2020, 8:25am; Reply: 148

Eh?!! The lads at the tip are there to ensure that slack b#st#rds don’t put recyclables in the general waste, and they do a good job. Trust me, if I worked there I’d be your worst enemy - I’d hand out beatings to some of the lazy s#ds who go there.
Posted by: Ipswin, January 15, 2020, 8:32am; Reply: 149
Quoted from Poojah

I find it hard to believe that he simply just 'turned 'shìt' overnight; there must've been more to it.

It's not difficult at all. Sadly a large percentage of players arriving at Blundell park were a) excrement on arrival but not recognised by the scout/manager who recommended them or b) were turned into excrement players pretty soon after arrival due to the 'Grimsby Town effect'

Hopefully neither a) or b) will occur now that Holloway is the boss (unless of course the rumour about the kid with the totally unpronouncable name is true)

Posted by: Les Brechin, January 15, 2020, 8:45am; Reply: 150
Quoted from Ipswin

It's not difficult at all. Sadly a large percentage of players arriving at Blundell park were a) excrement on arrival but not recognised by the scout/manager who recommended them or b) were turned into excrement players pretty soon after arrival due to the 'Grimsby Town effect'

Hopefully neither a) or b) will occur now that Holloway is the boss (unless of course the rumour about the kid with the totally unpronouncable name is true)

Kid?? I assume you mean the 27 year-old who has already played for 14 different clubs!  ;)

Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, January 15, 2020, 9:13am; Reply: 151
Quoted from golfer

I played for IH when he had hair so I rang his mobile and asked for a trial.

Posted by: 123614 (Guest), January 15, 2020, 9:39am; Reply: 152
It would be nice once in a while to go to a thread and actually see written opinions that the Title suggests will be posted instead of wasting my time going through several pages trying to find something relating to the thread title.
Posted by: promotion plaice, January 15, 2020, 9:50am; Reply: 153
Quoted from 123614
It would be nice once in a while to go to a thread and actually see written opinions that the Title suggests will be posted instead of wasting my time going through several pages trying to find something relating to the thread title.

The consequence of having no midweek game to talk about  (icon_lol)
Posted by: golfer, January 15, 2020, 9:52am; Reply: 154

I played for IH when he had hair so I rang his mobile and asked for a trial.

Should have mentioned my name, I was his barber while I played for him.  He introduced me to Pocock boots.
Posted by: denni266, January 15, 2020, 10:03am; Reply: 155
Guess Yeovil dont want him to leave them ?
Posted by: ginnywings, January 15, 2020, 10:09am; Reply: 156
Isn't Wednesday the players day off? I suspect that IH will do doing some business today if that's the case, so it will probably be announced after lunch.
Posted by: Grantham_Mariner, January 15, 2020, 11:29am; Reply: 157
Quoted from ginnywings
Isn't Wednesday the players day off? I suspect that IH will do doing some business today if that's the case, so it will probably be announced after lunch.

What time does Steels Corner House close after lunch?   ;D ;D ;D
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, January 15, 2020, 11:41am; Reply: 158
Quoted from Theimperialcoroner

Matt Heywood was so slow he had a reversing siren.

I think the rest of the defence was used as banksmen for him
Posted by: Devonmatt, January 15, 2020, 12:52pm; Reply: 159
Quoted from Ipswin

Really interesting interview on the latest NTT20 pod https://soundcloud.com/ntt20pod/weekend-chaos-recruitment-chat-with-blades-analytic about the use of data analytics in recruitment.  Pretty sure that IH isn't a massive convert to data analytics at this point but he (IH) is smart and will hopefully see the benefit that this approach can add to traditional methods.
Posted by: toontown, January 15, 2020, 1:39pm; Reply: 160
Quoted from Devonmatt

Really interesting interview on the latest NTT20 pod https://soundcloud.com/ntt20pod/weekend-chaos-recruitment-chat-with-blades-analytic about the use of data analytics in recruitment.  Pretty sure that IH isn't a massive convert to data analytics at this point but he (IH) is smart and will hopefully see the benefit that this approach can add to traditional methods.

Actually i think ollie commented after the mansfield game that the data showed the players had improved their max sprints by 17% or something like that. So I think he does take note of this stuff already
Posted by: promotion plaice, January 15, 2020, 3:48pm; Reply: 161
Quoted from Grantham_Mariner

What time does Steels Corner House close after lunch?   ;D ;D ;D

How big are the puddings?   ;D

Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, January 15, 2020, 4:11pm; Reply: 162
Quoted from Devonmatt

There must be some benefit in it but the thing that data analysis cannot do is show a football brain. For instance you can have data on how much running a player does and that may be superbly impressive but it does not show if he was running in the right direction or why he was doing it in the first place. Another instance might be someone like Teddy Sheringham who I was reading the other day made space by not moving and letting the defenders move away! I think this is what a manager like IH brings to the table in assessing players that someone like Jolley for example would not.

Posted by: Les Brechin, January 15, 2020, 4:12pm; Reply: 163
Quoted from promotion plaice

How big are the puddings?   ;D

Not sure, but the Jumbo Haddock takes a bit of eating.  ;)
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, January 15, 2020, 4:23pm; Reply: 164
I can't help thinking that some bu99er in Yeovil is having a laugh here.
Posted by: Rik e B, January 15, 2020, 4:23pm; Reply: 165
Yes Ollie definitely mentioned that his sports performance analyst told him high end sprints had improved 17% on any other time this season at Mansfield so he was happy as he had told them at half time they were gonna have to 'run like they've never run before'.

As well as showing he not a dinosaur, first hand evidence right there of his motivational abilities -something that can't be recorded on a computer or really properly taught on a course.
Posted by: Madeleymariner, January 15, 2020, 4:26pm; Reply: 166

There must be some benefit in it but the thing that data analysis cannot do is show a football brain. For instance you can have data on how much running a player does and that may be superbly impressive but it does not show if he was running in the right direction or why he was doing it in the first place. Another instance might be someone like Teddy Sheringham who I was reading the other day made space by not moving and letting the defenders move away! I think this is what a manager like IH brings to the table in assessing players that someone like Jolley for example would not.

Yes it makes me laugh when they are quoting so and so made 77 passes with a 90% completion rate in that game but it means nothing if 90% of the passes were 5/10 yrds sidewards and backwards under no pressure  as in a lot of premier games.
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, January 15, 2020, 4:26pm; Reply: 167
Got a sinking feeling something's gone t!ts up with this deal....hope I'm wrong but the longer it gets dragged on the more I'm thinking it may just not happen...😔😔
Posted by: NorthseaMariner, January 15, 2020, 4:47pm; Reply: 168
I know what you mean. 😔
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, January 15, 2020, 4:50pm; Reply: 169
Quoted from Northbank Mariner
Got a sinking feeling something's gone t!ts up with this deal....hope I'm wrong but the longer it gets dragged on the more I'm thinking it may just not happen...😔😔

IH said player had agreed to join on his Skysports podcast and Telegraph  state deal is done but cannot be announced, sounds a bit bizarre but there you go. I remain optimistic that the lure of the Holloway ice cream will be the deciding factor!!
Posted by: Rik e B, January 15, 2020, 4:59pm; Reply: 170
Apparently it's to do with the paperwork of Brighton having to cancel Yeovils loan deal, but our deal is signed. Whether that's a smokescreen or not, time will tell.
Posted by: denni266, January 15, 2020, 5:54pm; Reply: 171
Paper work is the easy bit  and with todays electronic age should take less than half a day . i have a strange feeling that something other has cropped up  :(
Posted by: Rik e B, January 15, 2020, 5:56pm; Reply: 172
Yeah but Yeovil is stuck in 1986 😝
Posted by: chrissy, January 15, 2020, 6:12pm; Reply: 173
It might be that Yeovil want some compensation as they had a deal to the end of the season.

I don't know if that is true or if they could ask for some.
Posted by: golfer, January 15, 2020, 6:14pm; Reply: 174
Quoted from Madeleymariner

Yes it makes me laugh when they are quoting so and so made 77 passes with a 90% completion rate in that game but it means nothing if 90% of the passes were 5/10 yrds sidewards and backwards under no pressure  as in a lot of premier games.

Birthday boy Eric Dier springs to mind - £2k  for every 5 yard pass
Posted by: Meza, January 15, 2020, 6:34pm; Reply: 175
Quoted from Rik e B
Apparently it's to do with the paperwork of Brighton having to cancel Yeovils loan deal, but our deal is signed. Whether that's a smokescreen or not, time will tell.

I think I read on Twitter the hold up was with Yeovil, maybe being awkward because they have lost someone good.
Posted by: Rob_in_Grimsby, January 15, 2020, 6:38pm; Reply: 176
Done deal just been announced on the os
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, January 15, 2020, 6:40pm; Reply: 177
Done, dusted and welcome to GTFC...This kid sounds like the real deal.. looking forward to seeing him and hope he is as good as IH makes out. ⚽🤞👍
On a side note, how many(including me) fell foul of thinking Bogle was about to be announced on twitter??..😂
Posted by: Les Brechin, January 15, 2020, 6:41pm; Reply: 178
https://www.grimsby-townfc.co.uk/news/2020/january/tilley-signs-for-the-mariners/
Posted by: Heswall Mariner, January 15, 2020, 6:51pm; Reply: 179
Taken a drop in wages on an 18 month contract with a 12 month option in Olies favour apparently. Rock On!  
Posted by: Davec, January 15, 2020, 6:53pm; Reply: 180
I hope he's better than the other player on our books who used to be at Brighton! Namely Harry Cardwell
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, January 15, 2020, 6:55pm; Reply: 181
Quoted from Davec
I hope he's better than the other player on our books who used to be at Brighton! Namely Harry Cardwell

??...thought we took Cardwell from Reading not Brighton??
Posted by: Martz86, January 15, 2020, 6:59pm; Reply: 182
I only thought it was going to be a loan deal, great piece of business. Welcome Tilley.
Posted by: Davec, January 15, 2020, 7:00pm; Reply: 183

??...thought we took Cardwell from Reading not Brighton??

Cardwell been at Brighton also
Posted by: promotion plaice, January 15, 2020, 7:03pm; Reply: 184

Well done to the lad for uprooting from the south and moving all the way up here, big thing for him I would imagine.

Welcome to GTFC James.
Posted by: Meza, January 15, 2020, 7:07pm; Reply: 185
hahaha love the comment by Ollie "He'll sell more dummies than mothercare"

Grimsby Town Football Club are delighted to announce the signing of attacking midfielder, James Tilley from Premier League side, Brighton & Hove Albion.
The 21-year-old joins us on an initial 18 month contract, after spending the first half of the 2019/20 campaign at National League side, Yeovil Town, helping them climb to second place in the table, 3 points behind leaders Barrow. Tilley has made a total of 21 appearances for The Glovers this season before his recall to Brighton & Hove Albion ahead of his transfer.
Tilley signed his first professional contract for the Seagulls in 2015 and went on to become a key player for the club's under 23 side, captaining them on a regular occasion. Tilley made his professional debut for the club on the final day of the 2014/15 season, making a injury time substitute appearance away at Middlesbrough.

In total during his time at the club, Tilley made 4 first team appearances for the club, but was also top scorer in the 2016/17 season for the under-23's with 13 goals and also helped the under-23's achieve promotion in 2018.
Speaking exclusively to gtfc.co.uk, manager Ian Holloway spoke to us relating to his new addition. "He's got a very nice family I know that because I went down to meet his Mum and Dad last Friday in Brighton", said Ollie. "He's a tad frustrated to be honest, he's 21 years old, he comes from Brighton and a dream of theirs was for him to play in their first team. A couple of years ago, he almost got in around it with Chris Hughton, so I feel he is a victim of circumstance, they're up and they're staying up and now they've got a manager who knows some foreign markets so maybe they're going to try and invest in some younger than him and make spaces for those young lads, so I think James is a very unlucky young gentlemen.
"I think he is a wonderful footballer, all the due diligence I have done on him, he is a wonderfully hard working young man so he will fit in with us a treat and our boys", said Ollie. "I think he is worthy of wearing our shirt and he will bring something different to the table. He has got a wonderful left foot and he can play on the left or right or as a 10, he can play left wing-back, right wing-back and even if I wanted too, he can play as an attacking full-back like I have used before if I'm really going for it."

Holoway was also high of praise of Tilley's commitment to the club before setting foot in the area. "He is willing to learn, he has made a massive commitment to us already with the change in his salary, taking a lot less than he was on", said Holloway. "He has committed to us for another 18 months and then an additional year in our favour which I think is absolutely commendable, I can't wait to get my grubby little mitts on him and get him doing some of the stuff that I was doing with Blackpool."
Holloway also had a few words about his excitement at Tilley walking out in front of the Mariners fans who have captured his heart already in his short period at the club. "He will have the wonderful privilege of playing for our supporters, who are absolutely outstanding I got to thank them personally for the welcome they've given Kim and myself", said Holloway.
"The noise they make away from home it's absolutely phenomenal, record breaking crowds like last weekend, I just want to thank you so much. I am only going to bring people here who will put their life on the line for you and try and bring you some joy. I work with a fella every day, Dave Smith who was a wonderful winger and I think I have brought you someone like him who can sell more dummies than Mothercare!"
Tilley will wear the number 21 shirt and will meet up with his team mates for the first time this week and will be eligible for selection for Ollie's first home game in charge vs. Exeter City.
Posted by: bobbyturtle, January 15, 2020, 7:11pm; Reply: 186
welcome to the mighty mariners
Posted by: 123614 (Guest), January 15, 2020, 7:13pm; Reply: 187
Welcome to Grimsby Town James, I hope you have a great time here with us.  UTM.
Posted by: It Bites, January 15, 2020, 7:18pm; Reply: 188
All this Cardwell bashing is getting a tad boring
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, January 15, 2020, 7:18pm; Reply: 189
Anyone listened to his interview on the OS/IFOLLOW yet??
Posted by: Kris2, January 15, 2020, 7:20pm; Reply: 190
Quoted from It Bites
All this Cardwell bashing is getting a tad boring

Then find a new club so we don't have to.
Posted by: Sigone, January 15, 2020, 7:33pm; Reply: 191
Anyone listened to his interview on the OS/IFOLLOW yet??

I'd like to, but for me it sounds like 2 daleks talking at the bottom of the humber
Posted by: Peeler_Crab, January 15, 2020, 7:41pm; Reply: 192
Quoted from Sigone

I'd like to, but for me it sounds like 2 daleks talking at the bottom of the humber

Your not wrong!

Was looking forward to listening to the lad

Hope they can sort it, somehow
Posted by: Teesknees, January 15, 2020, 7:42pm; Reply: 193
Quoted from Sigone

Maybe a bit like Norman Collier!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mzx3wNNuyB8
Posted by: Grantham_Mariner, January 15, 2020, 7:44pm; Reply: 194
Welcome to the Mighty Mariners James.

On Cardwell lets just wait and see what IH can do with him.
Posted by: denni266, January 15, 2020, 7:55pm; Reply: 195
Welcome James.
Posted by: Mariner_501, January 15, 2020, 8:00pm; Reply: 196
Not a single goal in 38 games at a lower level for an attacking player. Can’t be excited about this one. Fingers crossed I end up looking stupid
Posted by: gtfcmd, January 15, 2020, 8:00pm; Reply: 197
and i thought it was my laptop playing up sound quality is terrible
Posted by: ginnywings, January 15, 2020, 8:02pm; Reply: 198
Welcome James. Put the ball on Hanson's head in the penalty box and the fans will love you.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, January 15, 2020, 9:08pm; Reply: 199
Quoted from Mariner_501
Not a single goal in 38 games at a lower level for an attacking player. Can’t be excited about this one. Fingers crossed I end up looking stupid

I get what you mean but we are restricted. We might have coup with the manager but we are still limited in what we can afford to sign and by the sort of game that works in L2. Something else IH will be aware of is paying over the odds because of who he is.

Posted by: LH, January 15, 2020, 9:09pm; Reply: 200
0 goals but might have 25 assists for all we know. Assists generally aren’t recorded outside the top two divisions.
Posted by: marinerdazza, January 15, 2020, 9:24pm; Reply: 201
Got a good feeling about this signing. Sounds like the player we’ve been missing since Osborne left.
Posted by: promotion plaice, January 15, 2020, 9:31pm; Reply: 202
Quoted from Sigone

Still not sorted   :-/

Posted by: Rik e B, January 15, 2020, 9:44pm; Reply: 203
Yeovil fans are gutted to lose him and seems Yeovil FC dug their heels in so don't just look at the goals column -he gonna be primarily a winger for us for one. He got pedigree like Glennon (who slotted straight in) and sounds like got a fantastic attitude the way he's upped sticks and took a pay cut.

I've a feeling he'll come good.
Posted by: pen penfras, January 15, 2020, 9:52pm; Reply: 204
Quoted from Mariner_501

Regular player in the team 2nd in the division one level below us. Good age with time to improve and potentially a good fee if he does well. This is exactly the kind of player we should be signing.
Posted by: Limerick Mariner, January 15, 2020, 9:54pm; Reply: 205
Quoted from Rik e B
Yeovil fans are gutted to lose him and seems Yeovil FC dug their heels in so don't just look at the goals column -he gonna be primarily a winger for us for one. He got pedigree like Glennon (who slotted straight in) and sounds like got a fantastic attitude the way he's upped sticks and took a pay cut.

I've a feeling he'll come good.

I saw a tweet about his lightweight build being a disadvantage amongst the conference cloggers and that his skills might better suit League 2 - from what I've read he could be bit like Lee Hodges who did well for Scunthorpe for a few years after signing from West Ham - he also wasn't a proven goal scorer (only one senior goal before he joined them) - he got 20 in 113 games for them but was their main playmaker of one of their promotion seasons IIRC.
Posted by: Mariner Timsky, January 15, 2020, 10:07pm; Reply: 206
Welcome on board James

Interesting now as to Ollies starting 11 on Saturday

Will he go 4-4-2 ??
Or we will stick with the 4-3-3??

Will Tilley be a starter or an impact sub??
Posted by: toontown, January 15, 2020, 10:29pm; Reply: 207
I think the fact he's taken a massive pay cut in order to play regular football at a league club (hopefully) says a lot. Could have seen out his contract and continued to play in the conference rest of the season easily enough. Would have been the easy choice for the lad. Obviously feels he can do it at league level, wants to prove it, and trusts in ollies belief in him
Posted by: grimsby pete, January 15, 2020, 10:32pm; Reply: 208
Welcome James look forward to seeing you play.
Posted by: The_Laughing_Mariner, January 15, 2020, 10:47pm; Reply: 209
Yes he's taken a pay cut, but he was out of contract in the summer, so now he knows he has work for at least the next 18 months with an option for another 12.
he will know of Ollie and hopes that Ollie will develop his game.
No need to go through the end of system clearing to use a university analogy
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, January 15, 2020, 10:56pm; Reply: 210
Quoted from toontown
I think the fact he's taken a massive pay cut in order to play regular football at a league club (hopefully) says a lot. Could have seen out his contract and continued to play in the conference rest of the season easily enough. Would have been the easy choice for the lad. Obviously feels he can do it at league level, wants to prove it, and trusts in ollies belief in him

Probably what the lad sees as his future has been influenced by what IH had to say. I’m just pleased we have such a persuasive manager. He will be hoping that this signing is a financial as well as a playing investment.

Posted by: PoutonStepover, January 16, 2020, 12:05am; Reply: 211
Quoted from Mariner Timsky
Welcome on board James

Interesting now as to Ollies starting 11 on Saturday

Will he go 4-4-2 ??
Or we will stick with the 4-3-3??

Will Tilley be a starter or an impact sub??

IH has previously said he likes to put new signings on the bench for their first game, so assuming we are sticking with a 433, I’d image we will start Clarke as one of the 2 wide players, and sub him for Tilley after 65 mins.

Or he may go 442 and him on the left wing, Max Wright on the right, Hanson and Clarke up front.

If IH does intend to use him as a left winger, we are going to have an absolutely top draw left side to the team with Glennon and Tilley down there!

UTMM
Posted by: arryarryarry, January 16, 2020, 1:23am; Reply: 212
Quoted from PoutonStepover

IH has previously said he likes to put new signings on the bench for their first game, so assuming we are sticking with a 433, I’d image we will start Clarke as one of the 2 wide players, and sub him for Tilley after 65 mins.

Or he may go 442 and him on the left wing, Max Wright on the right, Hanson and Clarke up front.

If IH does intend to use him as a left winger, we are going to have an absolutely top draw left side to the team with Glennon and Tilley down there!

UTMM

He said in his interview after the Orient game that Clarke would have started if he hadn't turned up late on Friday.
Posted by: mimma, January 16, 2020, 1:25am; Reply: 213
Strange how all of a sudden we can get good players from down south to up sticks and come up here and take a pay cut to do so.

Just goes to show how poor our previous managers recruitment policies were, and how they hid behind the "location is a problem" excuse.

Long may it continue!!!

UTM
Posted by: BeijingMariner, January 16, 2020, 6:13am; Reply: 214
Quoted from mimma
Just goes to show how poor our previous managers recruitment policies were

I don't think it's about policies, to be honest. I think most managers will have very similar policies and strategies. What has changed is the level of trust in and personality of the management. Ian Holloway is not just experienced and successful, he is seemingly an expert in areas like motivation and talent development. It's Ian himself, not the policies. He has already made huge changes in the way many town fans feel about our club's future. I imagine he does that to individual players, too.
Posted by: toontown, January 16, 2020, 7:18am; Reply: 215
Quoted from mimma
Strange how all of a sudden we can get good players from down south to up sticks and come up here and take a pay cut to do so.

Just goes to show how poor our previous managers recruitment policies were, and how they hid behind the "location is a problem" excuse.

Long may it continue!!!

UTM

I personally think it's more likely that our new manager is more able to attract players than those we have had before because of persuasiveness AND his reputation and premier league experience.

So I think it's more because he is really good and able to overcome that barrier (at least at the minute) rather than them being very poor.

Posted by: Mariner Timsky, January 16, 2020, 7:28am; Reply: 216
Tbf to MJ he persuaded Hanson to come back up North and take a pay cut
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, January 16, 2020, 8:24am; Reply: 217
Quoted from Mariner Timsky
Tbf to MJ he persuaded Hanson to come back up North and take a pay cut

I suspect Hanson would have come north even if our manager had been Mrs MJ. ;)

Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, January 16, 2020, 9:22am; Reply: 218
Quoted from marinerdazza
Got a good feeling about this signing. Sounds like the player we’ve been missing since Osborne left.

Imagine Osborne playing under IH...

What a player he was
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, January 16, 2020, 9:23am; Reply: 219
Don't mind people slating old managers, but for me Jolley doesn't deserve it.

He did the unexpected and kept us up, then steadied the ship, I was gutted when he left, but having the manager we now have, I know we are in a better position
Posted by: AussieMariner, January 16, 2020, 9:32am; Reply: 220
Steady recruitment so far:

Glennon for Gibson - like for like swap of loan players, sounds like it may be a slight upgrade
Clarke for Ogbu - unhappy enigma, replaced with a ‘mature’ player Ollie knew in the past on a 6 month contract
Tilley for Robson - promising youngster replaces promising youngster, but ours for 18 months +, not a loan

Overall a stronger left side, better balanced, more width, and maybe a bit more commitment to the cause

Still waiting for result of the increased investment JF hinted at when he said he was buying more shares to free up funds for players....... only investment I can see so far is the possible compensation for Ogbu
Posted by: quebec38, January 16, 2020, 9:42am; Reply: 221
Do we know exactly what Tilley's best position is yet? I've read striker, left winger and attacking midfielder. He doesn't sound much like a striker and German is on fire on the left arm so hopefully he's not been signed to play there either. If he's a neat, clever player to play in front of Hess and Clifton it will be ideal.
Posted by: Oly1987, January 16, 2020, 9:43am; Reply: 222
from what I read of the interview he can play on both wings, attacking mid, left and right wing back and even an attacking full back!
Posted by: Abdul19, January 16, 2020, 9:55am; Reply: 223
Could be our own Niclas Alexandersson! (one for the CM97/98 fans)
Posted by: golfer, January 16, 2020, 10:15am; Reply: 224
Quoted from Davec

Cardwell been at Brighton also

Got a photo of him collecting pebbles - he said he couldn't find any so decided to start collecting goals
Posted by: golfer, January 16, 2020, 10:21am; Reply: 225
Quoted from PoutonStepover

UTMM

And Shitehouse between the two - Quick - Quick - SLOW
Posted by: oochiad, January 16, 2020, 10:43am; Reply: 226
Whitehouse played very well and don’t forget his sublime pass to Clarke. He’ll hopefully get fitter and faster under Ollie
Posted by: Mariner Timsky, January 16, 2020, 10:54am; Reply: 227
I was impressed with Whitehouse on Saturday and if he had his shooting boots on he could of well had a goal himself as well as the excellent assist he made for Wild Bill
Posted by: oochiad, January 16, 2020, 12:05pm; Reply: 228
Yes Whitehouse is certainly one who will die for the cause and he’s bright enough to take on board Ollies ideas. UTMM
Posted by: The Yard Dog, January 16, 2020, 1:19pm; Reply: 229
Quoted from mimma

Long may it continue!!!

UTM

It's the effort he puts in getting the player, drove down, spoke to the player and his parents in person, no mention of a agent involved in the talks, which would have helped.
If you put the hard work, you will reap the rewards, IH is certainly putting in the miles and the media work, raising the profile of the club.
Also IH personality is totally different to the previous managers, the nearest to IH was Bignot. IH has this ability to draw you and make you believe in what he is trying to achieve.
I could listen IH talk for hours, the same could not be said about Slade, Jolley or Hurst.

UTMM

Posted by: KingstonMariner, January 16, 2020, 1:59pm; Reply: 230
Looks a promising signing. I, like others, like the way Olly speaks about things. Very positive. And driving down to Brighton to meet the lad's parents is old school - positively Clough-like. Also like the fact he's been out and about drumming up support.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, January 16, 2020, 3:29pm; Reply: 231
A trixy-dixy winger ;D

A long time since we saw one of those Ollie!
Posted by: Rik e B, January 16, 2020, 3:46pm; Reply: 232
Apart from Max Wright.... 😉 But new signing wise yes you're right.
Posted by: forza ivano, January 16, 2020, 4:41pm; Reply: 233
i wonder if Akheem might get sent out on loan? he's potentially been pushed quite far down the pecking order now (2 new attacking player, cooke, green and hanson returning from injury), and it did Vernham the world of good
Posted by: Maringer, January 16, 2020, 5:30pm; Reply: 234
Sounds like a good idea. Rose seems to have a number of good attributes but doesn't really read the game as yet. Perhaps not too surprising as he wasn't able to play competitively for a long time while we were trying to sort out his visa.

Another loan period at somewhere like Boston could certainly help him develop with less pressure on him to be an instant success.
Posted by: moosey_club, January 16, 2020, 6:04pm; Reply: 235
Quoted from KingstonMariner
Looks a promising signing. I, like others, like the way Olly speaks about things. Very positive. And driving down to Brighton to meet the lad's parents is old school - positively Clough-like. Also like the fact he's been out and about drumming up support.

if he has been drumming up support in Brighton we may have to break out those rainbow corner flags again (ymca)(indian)
Posted by: Heswall Mariner, January 16, 2020, 7:16pm; Reply: 236
Hi Ipswin  - re your post of 13th,  I'm sure it was Matt Tees & GK Charlie Wright who went to Charlton for a combined fee of £15k.  At the time I was so depressed that our two star players had gone for such a paltry fee - but recently discovered that at the time we/the directors were apparently in dire financial straits.
Ah well its such a long time ago now - could be wrong.

Posted by: arryarryarry, January 16, 2020, 11:48pm; Reply: 237
Quoted from Heswall Mariner

Hi Ipswin  - re your post of 13th,  I'm sure it was Matt Tees & GK Charlie Wright who went to Charlton for a combined fee of £15k.  At the time I was so depressed that our two star players had gone for such a paltry fee - but recently discovered that at the time we/the directors were apparently in dire financial straits.
Ah well its such a long time ago now - could be wrong.

It was Matt Tees and Rodney Green that went to Charlton as a double signing.

https://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/36266/matt-tees
Posted by: nigelh, January 29, 2020, 11:30am; Reply: 238
From the local, Brighton rag:

[url=https://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/18193898.james-tilley-ready-new-challenge-leaving-albion/]James Tilley ready for new challenge after leaving Albion [/url]

Print page generated: March 28, 2024, 6:39pm