Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: psgmariner, January 9, 2020, 6:08pm
In talks with other clubs.

https://twitter.com/mattdeanradio/status/1215333917018021888?s=21
Posted by: It Bites, January 9, 2020, 6:11pm; Reply: 1
From what I saw I’m guessing he will be dropping down a league or two
Posted by: Abdul19, January 9, 2020, 6:14pm; Reply: 2
Bit disappointed by this, but can see why given how many strikers we've got. Good luck to him 👍
Posted by: scott_gtfc_89, January 9, 2020, 6:15pm; Reply: 3
Rather see Cardwell leave.
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, January 9, 2020, 6:16pm; Reply: 4
Half time ball juggling entertainment gone then .
Posted by: TwoLeftFeet, January 9, 2020, 6:17pm; Reply: 5
Shame think he's the best striker we've got.. guessing he's the only one other teams may want and frees up some wages, Wouldn't be surprised to see Ohman go too this transfer window  
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, January 9, 2020, 6:19pm; Reply: 6
Can only think that the rumour he didn't work hard in training could be right, really had high hopes for Ogbu, gonna miss his goal celebration, even though we've only seen it once!!  
Posted by: NorthseaMariner, January 9, 2020, 6:22pm; Reply: 7
Quite liked him, didn’t get to see a lot of him though.
Hope it all works out for him.
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, January 9, 2020, 6:25pm; Reply: 8
Hes pretty rubbish really . Won’t live long in the memory will he ? Except for his incredible ball juggling using his chin and nose which was out of this world
Posted by: Hagrid, January 9, 2020, 6:31pm; Reply: 9
Surprised and dissapointed. I really liked what i saw. He’s a lot better than Cardwell Rose and Green
Posted by: psgmariner, January 9, 2020, 6:32pm; Reply: 10
Agreed he’s better than all of them but he’s still crap.
Posted by: FrazerGTFC, January 9, 2020, 6:36pm; Reply: 11
Good player shame to see him leave
Posted by: Alfie, January 9, 2020, 6:38pm; Reply: 12
Top 3 earner apparenly and been one of our weakest players. As much as he had some good touches on Saturday, Ollie was going mad at how little he was doing to put himself about up top
Posted by: Ashby mariner, January 9, 2020, 6:43pm; Reply: 13
I thought he did well at Mansfield.
Posted by: headingly_mariner, January 9, 2020, 6:49pm; Reply: 14
Real handful when he plays through the middle. Makes us play to feet.
Posted by: PoutonStepover, January 9, 2020, 6:50pm; Reply: 15
I said weeks ago he would be out the door as soon as a new manager came in and realised how little footballing ability he’s got vs how high his wages are.

He’s a 1 trick pony without the trick.
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, January 9, 2020, 6:53pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from Mariner4lyf
Better than cardwell, green and rose.  Guess he hasnt impressed ollie enough. Shame hes come saying he wants to develop player but gets rid of one of the best strikers we have! One word -idiot

You're the idiot....if you listen to Holloway's reasoning for letting Ogbu go it's nothing to do with his footballing ability, he's doing it because he's understood Ogbu hasn't and isn't settling here and he's told him to leave to get his life back on track...
It's called man management and caring for your players well being and mental health....
Posted by: TAGG, January 9, 2020, 6:55pm; Reply: 17
Hes not very good even at this level.
Cheers mate
Now move on.
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, January 9, 2020, 6:56pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from Mariner4lyf
Better than cardwell, green and rose.  Guess he hasnt impressed ollie enough. Shame hes come saying he wants to develop player but gets rid of one of the best strikers we have! One word -idiot

Always thought the adjective “Striker” suggests the player will score goals but Ogbu like many town strikers before him were oblivious to this. Had two or three decent performances but like Vose a couple of seasons back only showed his skills on rare occasions. Need Green & Cardwell to also move on with Akeem and Charlie needing to use the second half of the season to demonstrate they are worth new contracts. Charlie started to do so but Rose still much to do IMO.
Posted by: mariner2000, January 9, 2020, 6:56pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from Northbank Mariner

You're the idiot....if you listen to Holloway's reasoning for letting Ogbu go it's nothing to do with his footballing ability, he's doing it because he's understood Ogbu hasn't and isn't settling here and he's told him to leave to get his life back on track...
It's called man management and caring for your players well being and mental health....

Where did he say this?
Posted by: jimgtfc, January 9, 2020, 6:57pm; Reply: 20
Great ability, no consistency, unpredictable, perception of sometimes being lazy. Was a gamble worth taking by Jolley but he’s just not a Holloway type of player.
Posted by: moosey_club, January 9, 2020, 6:57pm; Reply: 21
Shame if true....one player in the squad that could beat a man and then look up before he crossed it.
Posted by: 1098 (Guest), January 9, 2020, 7:01pm; Reply: 22
I had high hopes for him but for whatever reason he just hasnt had a run of games and something didn't seem right. I imagine getting him off the wage bill would help IH with other targets
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, January 9, 2020, 7:06pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

Always thought the adjective “Striker” suggests the player will score goals but Ogbu like many town strikers before him were oblivious to this. Had two or three decent performances but like Vose a couple of seasons back only showed his skills on rare occasions. Need Green & Cardwell to also move on with Akeem and Charlie needing to use the second half of the season to demonstrate they are worth new contracts. Charlie started to do so but Rose still much to do IMO.

Whilst I agree with this I do think Vernham is starting to show just how good he is, hopefully over his shin splints now and been pleasing to see him compete for 90 minutes in 3 games.
As for Cardwell, majority of us feel the same and at 24 should be a fully fledged starter by now, but just not seen enough to think he'll ever quite cut it at league level.
Rose, another enigma, fast, powerful, can turn a player and scares defenders and I would hope that with Holloway's input could improve his decision making and strikes on target...maybe he would benefit from half a season in the conference.
Posted by: aldi_01, January 9, 2020, 7:07pm; Reply: 24
Whatever the reason and whatever people’s views, he won’t be missed really will he and will be confined to the list of those players we joke about within a year or two...Anthony Straker, serge, Knut anders Fostervald etc...
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, January 9, 2020, 7:09pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from mariner2000

Where did he say this?

Radio Humberside interviewed Holloway and it was on tonight's show...even came across as though Ogbu agreed with his rationale and the pair shared a hug at the end of the conversation
Posted by: Heisenberg, January 9, 2020, 7:15pm; Reply: 26
It’s a shame, but Ollie has a plan. I just hope he has faith in Vernam, who I think is reaching his potential now.
Posted by: Croxton, January 9, 2020, 7:17pm; Reply: 27

If there are non footballing factors and wages are high, then fair enough. Rather ironic after so much hoofball ,and Greens failure to gel with any system, that we may get rid of a player who can hold on to the ball and link with others. The return of Vernam, who can work across the front line with pace puts him ahead of Ogbu and Green.
Noticeable in the second half of the reserve game that Olly was loudly urging forwards and wing backs to move into space quickly to give centre mids options. He was doing it from way back in the stands, however, over the heads of three coaches on the touchline.!
Posted by: Ipswin, January 9, 2020, 7:20pm; Reply: 28
No great loss.

Thats two of Jolley's star Swedish signings gone I just hope Ohman doesn't follow them
Posted by: grimsby pete, January 9, 2020, 7:27pm; Reply: 29
Did not see a lot of him but at least he came to a new country and gave it a go.

Best of luck Moses wherever you go.
Posted by: lukeo, January 9, 2020, 7:41pm; Reply: 30
If he's a high earner then it's a good thing for him to move on. He's ok but you can easily get someone better in on the same wage. For me he hasn't shone. Good luck to him though
Posted by: Kris2, January 9, 2020, 8:04pm; Reply: 31
It's a bit like Tom Bolarinwa for me, seems a very nice chap and I was happy for him when he scored but watching him is kinda painful when maybe 1 in 30 times he has the ball he does something good with it. He seems physically strong and has some pace but I just don't think he has it in him to play at this level. Nothing against him but it sounds like we pushed the boat out to get him when he was playing easy football in Saudi Arabia for tons of money. I think he'd be better off somewhere like that or in China.
Posted by: arryarryarry, January 9, 2020, 8:13pm; Reply: 32
Quoted from moosey_club
Shame if true....one player in the squad that could beat a man and then look up before he crossed it.

And when he played how many times did he do that?

My main memory will be the times he turned round in circles not knowing what he would do and the few times he tried to be clever but ended up passing the ball back and leaving the defence in excrement street.

Hardly ever looked like scoring a goal.
Posted by: LH, January 9, 2020, 8:17pm; Reply: 33
Not overly bothered he’s going. Looked an exciting player in the pre-season match I went to but in the games I’ve been to since he hasn’t done enough, IMO. Worth a roll of the dice but it’s not paid off and I wish him well.
Posted by: GollyGTFC, January 9, 2020, 8:19pm; Reply: 34
I heard the club sent him for magnetic resonance imaging of his wrist to check his age and he's actually 47.
Posted by: Gaffer58, January 9, 2020, 8:20pm; Reply: 35
Can only think that the rumour he didn't work hard in training could be right, really had high hopes for Ogbu, gonna miss his goal celebration, even though we've only seen it once!!  

I understand he has a full range of celebrations, about 20, trouble is it will take 20 seasons to get through them all.
Posted by: ginnywings, January 9, 2020, 8:27pm; Reply: 36
Not seen enough of him to pass judgement but we can probably do better considering he's one of the highest earners.
Posted by: moosey_club, January 9, 2020, 8:27pm; Reply: 37
Quoted from arryarryarry

And when he played how many times did he do that?

My main memory will be the times he turned round in circles not knowing what he would do and the few times he tried to be clever but ended up passing the ball back and leaving the defence in excrement street.

Hardly ever looked like scoring a goal.

When did he get a chance ? Few opportunities for him in reality ......played very well on Saturday, held the ball up, brought others in...highly plauded for his Exeter away performance too in the same role...... we won both of those games.....coincidence ?

Did he not settle and therefore his application and heart limited his chances or did limited chances despite the poor form of others effect his mindset making him unsettled ?  

If he is happy to go then let him go but i liked what he could do and will be sorry to see him go.
Posted by: arryarryarry, January 9, 2020, 8:30pm; Reply: 38
Quoted from moosey_club

When did he get a chance ? Few opportunities for him in reality ......played very well on Saturday, held the ball up, brought others in...highly plauded for his Exeter away performance too in the same role...... we won both of those games.....coincidence ?

Did he not settle and therefore his application and heart limited his chances or did limited chances despite the poor form of others effect his mindset making him unsettled ?  

If he is happy to go then let him go but i liked what he could do and will be sorry to see him go.

We scored after he left the field at Mansfield.
Posted by: Elgringo87, January 9, 2020, 8:51pm; Reply: 39
Think he was a more expensive version of Bolawinra
Posted by: aldi_01, January 9, 2020, 8:52pm; Reply: 40
Ogbu just proves it’s all about opinions...I thought we looked much better on Saturday when he went off, yet others thought he did well.

Similar to the fact some think he’s a decent player all round and others don’t.

All about opinions but I think we can all agree he’ll just fade in to the distance and join that ever increasing long list of players that nobody remembers...
Posted by: Hagrid, January 9, 2020, 9:03pm; Reply: 41
Just listened to IH interview. Said he’s had a go at the players for not communicating to Moses in the right way
Posted by: 140067 (Guest), January 9, 2020, 9:08pm; Reply: 42

That's the way I heard it as well.
Posted by: nightrider, January 9, 2020, 10:22pm; Reply: 43
Didnt think he was any worse than the two that are injured
Posted by: Perkins, January 9, 2020, 10:34pm; Reply: 44
Good luck to the guy wherever he ends up. No worse than any of our other strikers. He baffled defences at times with his
unpredictability, but also baffled us and himself too.
Posted by: forza ivano, January 9, 2020, 10:51pm; Reply: 45
Although I thought he did pretty well at times ,hes unfortunately like a lot of our players ( green, cardwell, cooke, hewitt,whitehouse and possibly clifton) who are ok, but you get the impression that there must be players out there who are much more effective and would still be within our wage structure
Posted by: Swansea_Mariner, January 9, 2020, 11:05pm; Reply: 46
Honestly thought Bolarinwa was a better player.

Good luck to the lad, but in reality not good enough for a side with any aspirations of promotion to league one.
Posted by: Stew0_0, January 9, 2020, 11:09pm; Reply: 47
Ogbu unfortunately is consistantly inconsistant. On his day can be a real handful, tomorrow be anominous.
Clearly homesick and much like Ring and I believe Ohman is struggling to fit in the area/country. Wouldnt be surprised if Ludo is gone by the end of January also as it is clear too that Pollock is ahead of him.

I also think this is very clever play by Ollie too. A tight budget with no real room to play with so with Moses top end of the budget move players on in the kindest and cheapest way possible to allow for reinforcements.

If we can move on the players we need, can see 5/6 new faces by the end of the window.

Wonder if Cardwell is feeling homesick too
Posted by: Chrisblor, January 9, 2020, 11:16pm; Reply: 48
Quoted from Stew0_0
Wonder if Cardwell is feeling homesick too

He's from just over the Humber Bridge so probably not!
Posted by: PoutonStepover, January 9, 2020, 11:41pm; Reply: 49
Quoted from aldi_01
Whatever the reason and whatever people’s views, he won’t be missed really will he and will be confined to the list of those players we joke about within a year or two...Anthony Straker, serge, Knut anders Fostervald etc...

Knut Anders Fostervold, I didn’t think he was too bad? Certainly no Menno Willems, but thought he did alright?
Posted by: 139914 (Guest), January 9, 2020, 11:46pm; Reply: 50
He makes a living out of being a professional footballer.  I work 60 hours a week in a job I hate just to keep a roof over my family’s heads and food on the table.  Who’s the twit, me or him?

Good luck to the lad wherever life takes him.
Posted by: 139914 (Guest), January 9, 2020, 11:52pm; Reply: 51
Is the irrelevant urge to Red Cross posts a sign of juvenile sized tackle syndrome?
Posted by: PoutonStepover, January 10, 2020, 12:02am; Reply: 52
Quoted from 139914
He makes a living out of being a professional footballer.  I work 60 hours a week in a job I hate just to keep a roof over my family’s heads and food on the table.  Who’s the twit, me or him?

How secure is your job? He’s just lost his 6 months after moving to a foreign country to do his job.
Posted by: 139914 (Guest), January 10, 2020, 12:10am; Reply: 53
That’s kind of the point of my post.  He’s trying to make his way doing what he wants to do, I’m doing what I have to do because I don’t have his ability as a footballer.
Posted by: chipsandgravy, January 10, 2020, 12:17am; Reply: 54
Quoted from 139914
That’s kind of the point of my post.  He’s trying to make his way doing what he wants to do, I’m doing what I have to do because I don’t have his ability as a footballer.

Or a poster!
Posted by: 139914 (Guest), January 10, 2020, 12:21am; Reply: 55
Yes of course, and you’re poster perfection.  Sorry but can I pass on your unwanted attention on this occasion?  I apologise in advance, appreciate that it’s perhaps something of a disappointment to you but I’m straight. X
Posted by: KingstonMariner, January 10, 2020, 12:44am; Reply: 56
Quoted from 139914
Is the irrelevant urge to Red Cross posts a sign of juvenile sized tackle syndrome?

As big as that?
Posted by: Biccys, January 10, 2020, 2:42am; Reply: 57
Quoted from 139914

I admire you. Genuinely.
Working 60 hours a week has (fortunately!) never been something I've had to do. (24 1/2 years in the RAF does that for you! I may have done it 2 or 3 times in that period.)
I am lucky enough that after my military career I have a pretty cushy job that is subsidised by a pretty flipping good military pension, and I sometimes complain that I "only" saved £100 this month.
People like you amaze me.
As for Moses, he's not Ronaldo, we knew that when he arrived, but we thought he might bring a bit of unpredictability to watching a division 4 football club. Didn't work out. Again.
No problem with him going. I'd have liked him to stay and find his mojo but Ollie has other ideas which I understand. Moses will get another club pretty soon after a break with hid family I've no doubt. He has the unknown nature of his game in his locker. Good on him.
Posted by: monkeyboy, January 10, 2020, 6:41am; Reply: 58
Has he actually left yet ? it says talks so does that mean he may still be in squad for saturday?
We are still very light up front so would imagine he may still be pushing for contention.
Posted by: ex-merseymariner, January 10, 2020, 6:57am; Reply: 59
Quoted from monkeyboy
Has he actually left yet ? it says talks so does that mean he may still be in squad for saturday?
We are still very light up front so would imagine he may still be pushing for contention.

In the IH interview he says he wont be playing him on sat

Posted by: aldi_01, January 10, 2020, 7:16am; Reply: 60
If the club have liaised with him and are agreeing a package etc because he’s struggled to settle and the like that’s best for everyone all round.

Yes, he probably made some big decisions when he came here but he is in a profession that, unless you’re a consistent performer is always stop start and short term. The possibility that you’ll lose your job is very real, much like for managers.

Football calls itself a profession, in other professions if you under perform there are processes to help improve performance but ultimately, if that doesn’t happen you’re released (I appreciate that doesn’t happen all the time and some professions just love folk around). That is what has happened here.

Ogbu could’ve been brilliant but in reality it just didn’t happen. I know people have been positive but that’s a handful of folk on here and social media. I’d hazard a guess that if you surveyed the entire home crowd there’d be more saying he wasn’t very good than those that did.

It’s one of those things and nobody holds any malice and I guess people wish him all the best but as myself and others have said, I suspect in ten years we’ll scratch our heads and wonder who the intercourse he was.
Posted by: Madeleymariner, January 10, 2020, 8:22am; Reply: 61
Vernam looking decent now and with confidence should kick on, but still disappears at times, Hanson is a good for this level injury prone target man, Cook is a pointless never ending injury, Cardwell, just no I'm afraid, Green runs a lot and is ok but not exactly pulling up trees, Akheem is still raw but may get better. That to me says Ogbu 3rd best striker at the club, would see all but Hanson and Vernam go before him. Pity if he is leaving due to not settling and an even bigger pity if IH thinks most of the other strikers are better than him. As we say all about opinions
Posted by: Teesknees, January 10, 2020, 8:40am; Reply: 62
Quoted from 139914

It's not easy for a lot of people! I know Warwick Davis struggles to put food on the table!
Posted by: SomeSanity, January 10, 2020, 9:19am; Reply: 63
Look at it like this: One of the highest earners and yet barely started. As exciting as he was to watch, he just wasn't quite right for us in my opinion.

Of course the line is 'he's homesick'. Any decent manager would protect a player publicly. He's hardly going to say hes going because he's a Tesco value Lukaku is he?
Posted by: Rik e B, January 10, 2020, 9:41am; Reply: 64
And remember there was talk of a rift in the squad with many unhappy with the Swedish contingents inflated wages. Add that Ogbu Nigerian so perhaps struggled to fit in with the lads, he maybe cut a forlorn figure in training and Ollie wanted a more united squad.

I wished him to do well, there was magic in those boots somewhere, but let's be honest he just didn't quite do it. I hoped he'd get an extended run down the middle to nail down some form and his place but a couple of times although holding up alright he looked like he lacked in effort and belief (I'm thinking Macc away the last match I've been fit enough to attend) and Ollie said don't give your all and you'll be out the door in a flash.

Frees up some wages if he on big money, though I guess we losing out with a settlement package and although Clarke not got the goal-to-game ratio apparently he brilliant in the dressing room, always desperate to succeed and gives 110% each and every.

So probably the better option for overall squad harmony and everyone pulling in the right direction together.
Posted by: 123614 (Guest), January 10, 2020, 10:28am; Reply: 65
Quoted from Madeleymariner
Vernam looking decent now and with confidence should kick on, but still disappears at times, Hanson is a good for this level injury prone target man, Cook is a pointless never ending injury, Cardwell, just no I'm afraid, Green runs a lot and is ok but not exactly pulling up trees, Akheem is still raw but may get better. That to me says Ogbu 3rd best striker at the club, would see all but Hanson and Vernam go before him. Pity if he is leaving due to not settling and an even bigger pity if IH thinks most of the other strikers are better than him. As we say all about opinions

Thing is, IH is a professional football manager with nearly 1000 games under his belt.

Posted by: Rik e B, January 10, 2020, 10:30am; Reply: 66
And he privvy to what goes on on the training pitch, unlike us.
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, January 10, 2020, 10:37am; Reply: 67
We should also judge decisions on the release of players on the quality of their replacement. If a good player leaves and a better one joins the club that’s beneficial and taking the club forward. Replace Bogle with Cardwell and your going the other way.
Posted by: diehardmariner, January 10, 2020, 11:10am; Reply: 68
Was always a gamble.  Could tell from that YouTube video in the summer that he had talent but was against some dreadful defending.  Impossible to see how that would translate to the hustle and bustle of League Two.

When he was on it, I thought Ogbu looked unplayable.  Blowing out his bottom due to a lack of games, up front on his own for an out of form side and basically just asked to do a job - yet he was on it against Mansfield.  They couldn't handle him and as much as they tried to foul him he was just too strong.  

You counter that against the game before Christmas when he came on (I forget who!) and he looked like he had won a competition.

Fantastic individual ability.  Problem is he didn't seem to know how and when to use it.  Looked more like he would be suited to Futsal or even one of those show pony types you get doing a million kick-ups whilst doing press ups.

Shame it hasn't worked out but well played Holloway for tackling the issue head on and looking after the lad first.  No doubt it'll free up some wages too.
Posted by: RonMariner, January 10, 2020, 12:39pm; Reply: 69
Quoted from 123614
[/b]

Thing is, IH is a professional football manager with nearly 1000 games under his belt.

He has also got teams up into the Premier League twice.

I think I'll trust his judgement on football matters.
Posted by: sydney, January 11, 2020, 9:40am; Reply: 70
Bit Part Player IMO
2 or 3 more to exit as well I think before end Jan
We have to trust IH now to bring out the best of what we than have
Think he seems to have this quality in abundance
Come on Town we owe LO from the 0-4
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, January 11, 2020, 9:54am; Reply: 71
Was he related to George Weah?

I best change my sig
Posted by: oochiad, January 11, 2020, 10:35am; Reply: 72
Ogbu was awful against Macclesfield but did an excellent job at Mansfield. Definitely not consistent enough and full marks for IH to spot his unhappiness also and get him moved on. I really enjoyed his good performances though. Good luck Moses!
Posted by: AdamHaddock, January 11, 2020, 11:06am; Reply: 73
Has he officially gone yet?
Posted by: Rik e B, January 11, 2020, 11:12am; Reply: 74
Is he definitely leaving the club permanently or being given a leave of absence to go see family etc?
Posted by: oochiad, January 11, 2020, 11:18am; Reply: 75
I took the interview as definitely leaving.
Posted by: Rik e B, January 11, 2020, 11:28am; Reply: 76
Yeah just had a trawl back and seems that way
Posted by: rancido, January 11, 2020, 12:51pm; Reply: 77
Like I mentioned on another thread, I think some of MJ's signings last summer were questionable, Ogbu being one of them. He's not consistent enough two be able to use in a settled, promotions chasing side. I don't think Greenland wars what wasn't required in ethereal and I wouldn't be surprised if he went before his contract was up.
Posted by: rancido, January 11, 2020, 12:52pm; Reply: 78
Like I mentioned on another thread, I think some of MJ's signings last summer were questionable, Ogbu being one of them. He's not consistent enough two be able to use in a settled, promotions chasing side. I don't think Greenland wars what wasn't required in ethereal and I wouldn't be surprised if he went before his contract was up.
Print page generated: April 27, 2024, 9:14pm