Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Maringer, January 8, 2020, 12:50pm
https://www.theguardian.com/football/football-league-blog/2020/jan/08/ian-holloway-managing-grimsby-makes-me-feel-like-mary-poppins

Interesting article.
Posted by: Rik e B, January 8, 2020, 1:02pm; Reply: 1
So is he a director then, or just shareholder?
Posted by: chelseacity, January 8, 2020, 1:05pm; Reply: 2
Thankyou Maringer, what a very nice article about our new manager & our fantastic football club.
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, January 8, 2020, 1:05pm; Reply: 3
Interesting read.... got to admire his positivity

One thing caught my eye..

The 56-year-old has signed an initial two-year contract as manager but has also become a director at the League Two club after investing £100,000 in shares

I wasn't aware that any investment sum had been confirmed…. until I read this article  ::)
Posted by: Abdul19, January 8, 2020, 1:16pm; Reply: 4
Think he mentioned it in his Bristol Post column
Posted by: Maringer, January 8, 2020, 1:23pm; Reply: 5
I thought he was only going to be sitting in on board meetings? Admittedly, I've not been following it too closely, so it might be that I've got the wrong end of the stick. My view was that the investment was a PR move to indicate that he wasn't looking to use us as a springboard for a quick move elsewhere.

If this article is correct (and the journalist might well have misunderstood), then he is going to have a seat on the board. Would make board meetings interesting if things weren't going well on the pitch! Sounds as though his 18 month contract has been rolled up to a 2 year one already as well.  ;)
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, January 8, 2020, 1:24pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from Abdul19
Think he mentioned it in his Bristol Post column

What was that?

Mary Poppins or the £100K?  ;)
Posted by: TheRealJohnLewis, January 8, 2020, 1:29pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from Rik e B
So is he a director then, or just shareholder?

He's on the board so he's a director.

Posted by: Mayaman, January 8, 2020, 1:42pm; Reply: 8
Thanks for posting that.

Dear Mr. Holloway,

The school where I work is excrement.  Can you please fix that too?

K
Posted by: Tommy, January 8, 2020, 1:48pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from Maringer
Sounds as though his 18 month contract has been rolled up to a 2 year one already as well.  ;)

Its an 18 month contract that reverts to a 6-month rolling contract after the initial 18 months. So I think anyone saying 2 years is just adding 6 months onto the end of his contract length.
Posted by: forza ivano, January 8, 2020, 2:54pm; Reply: 10
just a left field thought. Having listened to his podcast ' the process' is it possible that this mysterious 2nd consortium could have any connection to Chris Wright, Holloway's old chairman at QPR? Holloway speaks quite favourably of him and he's obviollsy from our locality. I know he's 75 but maybe his offpring or an old co-director maybe?
Posted by: Abdul19, January 8, 2020, 2:57pm; Reply: 11
Ted and Dougal!  8)
Posted by: Mariner Timsky, January 8, 2020, 2:58pm; Reply: 12
IH manages to make time for different forms of media I've noticed, certainly keeps himself busy!

Latest chat was with a James Richardson for the Totally Football Show and IH saying regarding next signing ,

"It’s one of the younger ones, at the time, who was totally frustrated with me and the situation because he was desperate to play.

“I kept picking everybody else and I kept digging him out for moaning.

“I’ve got him until the end of the season, and he will need to prove (himself) to me again because I haven’t seen him play.

“But it’s his personality that I’m bringing in. I want us to believe. I want us to be fresh. I want hungry, hungry people who need to run, not want to run. It’s a big difference.”
Posted by: Ipswin, January 8, 2020, 3:10pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from Abdul19
Ted and Dougal!  8)

Didn't he play for Man U?

Posted by: 137 (Guest), January 8, 2020, 3:25pm; Reply: 14
The Mary Poppins awayday needs to be videoed for posterity...
Posted by: Sigone, January 8, 2020, 4:27pm; Reply: 15
https://podcasts.google.com/?feed=aHR0cHM6Ly9hdWRpb2Jvb20uY29tL2NoYW5uZWxzLzQ5MjY5MzAucnNz&episode=dGFnOmF1ZGlvYm9vbS5jb20sMjAyMC0wMS0wODovcG9zdHMvNzQ3MzA3MQ

Skip to 35:40 in
Posted by: Rik e B, January 8, 2020, 6:03pm; Reply: 16
Thanks for that, more excellent content
Posted by: KingstonMariner, January 8, 2020, 7:57pm; Reply: 17
I really believe in the Holloway effect now. Getting Fishy posters to read the Guardian!
Posted by: Maringer, January 8, 2020, 8:49pm; Reply: 18
Well, it's free to read and it's not the Daily Heil or Express, so that's something. The David Squires footy cartoons on a Tuesday are usually pretty funny as well. Sports coverage OK too.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, January 8, 2020, 11:24pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from Maringer
Well, it's free to read and it's not the Daily Heil or Express, so that's something. The David Squires footy cartoons on a Tuesday are usually pretty funny as well. Sports coverage OK too.

I believe the correct spelling is E.X.C.E.S.S.  ;)
Print page generated: May 2, 2024, 3:05pm