Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Mariners_15, January 8, 2020, 8:55am
Sorry if I have missed it anywhere but is Ben Davies staying on the coaching staff? If so I'm guessing he has left his Clee Town contract? Personally think he's a great addition, played at a great level and is clearly keen to kick on his coaching career.
Posted by: Les Brechin, January 8, 2020, 8:59am; Reply: 1
It was mentioned yesterday that the reserve team was picked by Davies.
Posted by: Rik e B, January 8, 2020, 9:11am; Reply: 2
Yes he is being kept on as coach and managed the reserves yesterday.

I've wondered if he carrying on turning out for Clee Town too, my guess is he'll hang his boots up.
Posted by: Tommy, January 8, 2020, 10:18am; Reply: 3
As others have said, it has been confirmed he's being kept on as part of the staff. And since then, Holloway has also said he's not going to bring any senior staff with him and is going to work with the staff here already.

What hasn't been clarified is Ben's role, but I assume it'll be the standard "First Team Coach."

Good luck to him. He's a good guy and really threw himself into working within the Academy - putting the hours in and mixing with everyone.
Posted by: GollyGTFC, January 8, 2020, 1:54pm; Reply: 4
He was at Mansfield on Saturday. Before he was combining playing for Cleethorpes Town with academy coaching at Town wasn't he?
Posted by: Rik e B, January 8, 2020, 2:01pm; Reply: 5
He was before but he been thrust into hardcore first team staff duties now so I'm sure he'll go full time.
Posted by: Kris2, January 8, 2020, 2:01pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from GollyGTFC
He was at Mansfield on Saturday. Before he was combining playing for Cleethorpes Town with academy coaching at Town wasn't he?

He's been working on his coaching qualifications and working with the academy and more recently the first team. He's probably still on the books part time at Clee town but don't know if he's playing regularly, probably just around if they need him because of injuries.
Posted by: Gaffer58, January 8, 2020, 4:17pm; Reply: 7
Out of interest, does Ian Holloway have all these marvellous coaching badges or has he been doing it long enough to have avoided learning all about PowerPoints.
Posted by: grimsby pete, January 8, 2020, 5:02pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from Gaffer58
Out of interest, does Ian Holloway have all these marvellous coaching badges or has he been doing it long enough to have avoided learning all about PowerPoints.

I hope he has not got them because we have had enough of over thinking football,

Under Ollie we will play with passion,

Much better  8)
Posted by: Rik e B, January 8, 2020, 5:36pm; Reply: 9
Them courses are balderdash.
Posted by: Tommy, January 8, 2020, 7:40pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from Gaffer58

I'd imagine he'll have to have gained at least the A Licence, as i think you need that to manage in the Football League.

Must point out though that coaching courses don't tell you how your team should play the game or dictate what footballing philosophy you must have. Thats down to the individual. So Jolley's way of playing was how he wanted to do it, just like another more attack-minded coach would do it their own way.

Don't mistake people who possess high level qualifications as all being the same. If they were, everyone would play the same way in the Premier League wouldn't they. And they obviously don't.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, January 8, 2020, 8:07pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from Gaffer58

Yes, he mentions it on his podcast.

At a young age, the aptly named Gordon Bennett who was his Bristol Rovers boss got him coaching the kids and he was hooked.

He did allude to the coaching badges being very hard to pass and that he's not the most academic but he passed them because he wanted to manage so badly.
Posted by: Tinymariner, January 10, 2020, 10:12am; Reply: 12
So, I assume from the latest interview that IH believes Ben Davies could still play a role on the pitch!
Posted by: diehardmariner, January 10, 2020, 10:57am; Reply: 13
Davies took the reserves on Tuesday.  Limbrick and Holloway were both in the old directors box, although Holloway was giving a lot of instruction.

With that and listening to his latest interview, I get the feeling that Davies role is going to be around helping bridge the gap between the young lads coming through the youth set-up and the first team.
Posted by: Rik e B, January 10, 2020, 12:06pm; Reply: 14
He was Academy coach so makes sense.
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, January 10, 2020, 1:34pm; Reply: 15
I do not know about the merits of taking coaching badges.  However, these courses cannot impact on inherent personality and motivational skills.  Look at Brian Clough, Alex Ferguson and Ollie.  They were or are all very effective at getting the best out of their players.  And can be ruthless when needed.
Posted by: mimma, January 10, 2020, 1:39pm; Reply: 16
The course doesn't just teach tactics. They also teach managing budgets and finance involved in running a football club. Also there's  legal aspects including contracts and inclusion and diversity, what you can and can't do when disciplining players and staff.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, January 10, 2020, 1:46pm; Reply: 17
I love the way this thread is dissing coaching qualifications, despite the recent wave of positivity some Fishy traditions remain in place.

Interesting to hear that IH thinks Ben CSDAJATL as a player/

Posted by: rancido, January 10, 2020, 1:51pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
I do not know about the merits of taking coaching badges.  However, these courses cannot impact on inherent personality and motivational skills.  Look at Brian Clough, Alex Ferguson and Ollie.  They were or are all very effective at getting the best out of their players.  And can be ruthless when needed.

Coaching courses are like any qualification, whether it be a degree, B tech, City and Guilds or whatever. They give you an understanding of the subject and it's down to the individual to use that as a basis to start from. Like you say, some of the aspects you mentioned ie motivational skills are inherent in some individuals more than others but the importance of these qualities are highlighted in courses and emphasis is put on their importance.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, January 10, 2020, 2:59pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from rancido

Coaching courses are like any qualification, whether it be a degree, B tech, City and Guilds or whatever. They give you an understanding of the subject and it's down to the individual to use that as a basis to start from. Like you say, some of the aspects you mentioned ie motivational skills are inherent in some individuals more than others but the importance of these qualities are highlighted in courses and emphasis is put on their importance.

I have to motivate people who can often be lazy f******rs on a daily basis and most of what I've learnt has been from others and the odd course,.  
Posted by: thefish, January 10, 2020, 3:03pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from HertsGTFC

I have to motivate people who can often be lazy f******rs on a daily basis and most of what I've learnt has been from others and the odd course,.  

Which course taught you to call them ‘lazy f****rs’?
Posted by: rancido, January 10, 2020, 3:46pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from HertsGTFC

So courses were involved!
Posted by: HertsGTFC, January 10, 2020, 4:20pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from thefish

Which course taught you to call them ‘lazy f****rs’?

:)
Posted by: PoutonStepover, January 10, 2020, 4:28pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from Gaffer58

IH holds a UEFA Pro licence, which you need to manage in the Premier League and Champion’s League. It’s the highest European coaching qualification possible. Michael Jolley has also got one, so it doesn’t make you a good manager, it just means you can in theory manage at the top level.

You only need a UEFA ‘A’ Licence to manage EFL clubs, and a UEFA ‘B’ Licence to manage non league.

Posted by: pizzzza, January 13, 2020, 8:31pm; Reply: 24
[tweet]1216815025807077377[/tweet]
Posted by: LH, January 13, 2020, 8:38pm; Reply: 25
Fully expected to read that Town were due at an FA tribunal for a breach of protocol by the time I got to the end of that statement going off our previous. Fair play to Clee for releasing him in such a dignified manner.
Posted by: davmariner, January 13, 2020, 9:13pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from LH
Fully expected to read that Town were due at an FA tribunal for a breach of protocol by the time I got to the end of that statement going off our previous. Fair play to Clee for releasing him in such a dignified manner.

Wasn’t just me then! 👀
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, January 13, 2020, 9:22pm; Reply: 27
Yeah me too LH!
Posted by: Mighty_Mariner, January 13, 2020, 10:34pm; Reply: 28
Class act by Clee Town there! 👏👏
Posted by: promotion plaice, January 14, 2020, 2:23pm; Reply: 29

Ben Davies joins coaching staff on permanent basis:

https://www.grimsby-townfc.co.uk/news/2020/january/davies-joins-coaching-staff-on-permanent-basis/
Posted by: rancido, January 14, 2020, 2:47pm; Reply: 30
Fantastic news both for him and the club. Obviously Ollie must have a high regard for Ben and hopefully he will be a key figure in the next generation coaching staff at BP
Posted by: arryarryarry, January 14, 2020, 3:10pm; Reply: 31
"They have been brilliant, the club are a class act to be honest with the three Directors and Chairman that they have there and the manager and everything", said Davies.

3 Directors?

I thought we had more.
Posted by: golfer, January 14, 2020, 3:13pm; Reply: 32
I went on a course that taught me  " big ones are best but find the best spots"           I have now moved from Millfields to pick up dog ends outside the Yarboro' Hotel
Posted by: promotion plaice, January 14, 2020, 3:21pm; Reply: 33
Quoted from arryarryarry
"They have been brilliant, the club are a class act to be honest with the three Directors and Chairman that they have there and the manager and everything", said Davies.

3 Directors?

I thought we had more.

I think Ben was referring to Clee Town !!!

Posted by: Swansea_Mariner, January 14, 2020, 3:24pm; Reply: 34
So we have an U23 team now?
Posted by: Fishy clapper, January 14, 2020, 3:27pm; Reply: 35
Quoted from Swansea_Mariner
So we have an U23 team now?

Majority of the first team
Posted by: arryarryarry, January 14, 2020, 3:28pm; Reply: 36
Quoted from promotion plaice

I think Ben was referring to Clee Town !!!

That explains it.(fool)
Print page generated: April 26, 2024, 11:39am