Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Oly1987, January 5, 2020, 1:23am
I've come to the conclusion that Harry Clifton might be the footballing equivalent of the karma sutra. From my reckoning I believe he's played at right back, left back, right wing back, right mid, left mid and centre mid!
Posted by: toontown, January 5, 2020, 1:35am; Reply: 1
And within the centre mid umbrella has played as box to box midfielder, attacking mid a defensive mid roles
Posted by: cannylad68, January 5, 2020, 8:12am; Reply: 2
I've only been viewing the games this season.
I have noticed quite a bit of criticism on the Fishy for Harry.
From what I've seen this isn't necessary.
I've been quite impressed as he obviously isn't the finished article. To me there is a lot of potential there, and given the right handling, and with more first team experience, in my opinion there's a top class footballer in there.
Maybe a future captain.
Posted by: Mayaman, January 5, 2020, 8:18am; Reply: 3
Surely, there is a place for a 'jack of all trades' at a football club.
Posted by: lobsterpot, January 5, 2020, 8:45am; Reply: 4
He was Jordan Hendersonesque yesterday!
Posted by: aldi_01, January 5, 2020, 8:52am; Reply: 5
Second half he played well and did what was required but previous games the criticism has been justified.

Perhaps a new manager will push him on again...
Posted by: LH, January 5, 2020, 8:56am; Reply: 6
He’s a Liverpool fan going off his Twitter activity and maybe takes a bit of inspiration from James Milner. Being competent in many positions is a skill in itself. He should take it as a compliment that managers have seen he will always do his absolute best whereever he gets put on the pitch.
Posted by: AussieMariner, January 5, 2020, 9:01am; Reply: 7
Quoted from Oly1987
I've come to the conclusion that Harry Clifton might be the footballing equivalent of the karma sutra. From my reckoning I believe he's played at right back, left back, right wing back, right mid, left mid and centre mid!

He was actually at centre back as well for a few minutes after the send off and before Pollock came on
Posted by: Rik e B, January 5, 2020, 9:23am; Reply: 8
He's still just a youngster earning his stripes so he should be given some slack. Most the times I've seen him he's been excellent.
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, January 5, 2020, 9:58am; Reply: 9
Great lad potentially a great player but needs coaching and direction from a old head who really gets the game  , we have that now I expect him to push on.
Posted by: Squinter, January 5, 2020, 10:16am; Reply: 10
What is IH's history with developing young players ?  Does he have the coaching ability to make them better players ?  

I love to see young players coming through the ranks. We have a lot of decent players here who have the potential to be very good with the correct coaching, Clifton being a very good example.  It's always a shame to see them leave, but if they comand a decent transfer fee its vital for the sustainability of clubs like GTFC.
Posted by: Swansea_Mariner, January 5, 2020, 11:21am; Reply: 11
Bolland and Buckley often pick him out as one of our better performers he's doing a great job at just 21
Posted by: forza ivano, January 5, 2020, 11:54am; Reply: 12
I would love to see the improvement, but his passing has been his weak spot ever since jolley gave him his chance. I have just got a nagging worry that Holloway would know of several midfielders who tick more boxes than Clifton. On a more positive note it seemed that he n Hess both seemed to try and get into the box a lot more yesterday than in previous games
Posted by: HertsGTFC, January 5, 2020, 12:04pm; Reply: 13
Great energy, good engine, superb attitude, physical, strong and has decent technique at this level. Asked to do too many jobs for his years in the game and our coaching staff now have an obligation to find the right role for him to flourish and ensure one of our own gets the input he deserves.

Still learning his trade being a utility player needs to wait till later.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, January 5, 2020, 12:34pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from Mayaman

Non-chairman
Posted by: KingstonMariner, January 5, 2020, 12:36pm; Reply: 15
PS like Max, Harry will continue to improve because the lad gives his best.
Posted by: Rik e B, January 5, 2020, 12:47pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from Squinter
What is IH's history with developing young players ?  Does he have the coaching ability to make them better players ?  

Ollie is well known for being passionate about bringing academy graduates through the ranks and developing them.
Posted by: GollyGTFC, January 5, 2020, 12:53pm; Reply: 17
Quite possibly Harry's best game for us yesterday. He failed to kick on and improve on his initial performances under Jolley. Hopefully under a better manager he can start to fulfil his potential.
Posted by: GollyGTFC, January 5, 2020, 12:54pm; Reply: 18
Also, Waterfall might end up seriously regretting his red card yesterday. If Pollock performs like that in his next 3 games then Waterfall will struggle to get back into the team when his suspension is over.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, January 5, 2020, 1:07pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from forza ivano
I would love to see the improvement, but his passing has been his weak spot ever since jolley have him his chance. I have just got a nagging sorry that Holloway would know of several midfielders who tick more boxes than Clifton. On a more positive note it seemed that he n Hess both seemed to try and get into the box a lot more yesterday than in previousvgames

I agree totally, he is technically weak and head down when he gets the ball so he can be caught in possession or have to make a not very clever hurrried square or back pass. To a big extent he makes up for this with his enthusiasm, running and discipline in different positions. Every team needs a water carrier and Clifton could be that player with some work on his awareness and distribution.
Posted by: jock dock tower, January 5, 2020, 1:33pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from Mayaman

Paul Madeley, at Leeds from 1963 to 1980, made being a utility player an art form.

Posted by: Abdul19, January 5, 2020, 1:37pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from jock dock tower

Paul Madeley, at Leeds from 1963 to 1980, made being a utility player an art form.

An art form he's continued into his broadcasting career

[img]https://www.thesun.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/NINTCHDBPICT000526816407-e1569966454876.jpg[/img]
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, January 5, 2020, 1:41pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from jock dock tower

One of my heroes Jock. The thing about Madeley was that he was actually better than the regulars in most of the positions he played especially across the back four. One claim to fame - he was very highly rated by Alf Ramsay who picked him for Brazil 1970 but Madeley refused because his wife was about to give birth and he felt he probably would not play anyway.

Print page generated: April 27, 2024, 5:51am