Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Limerick Mariner, January 4, 2020, 5:38pm
Quoted from dicko995
This is gonna be the biggest topic count going.  So, we win 1-0 away at Mansfield. We have 10 men for 80 minutes of the game, quick substitution, and we get 3 points. So.… is it Olly closeness, AL,s help. a bit of luck, the lads playing their hearts out, ref decisions, a bad Mansfield team?, its all yours. Are we under the spell of success?, I admit its a great start from Olly, but was it his doing?, all yours :)

Surely the building blocks for this result and the great future we now have were put in place by Russ Slade...

Posted by: supertown, January 4, 2020, 5:39pm; Reply: 1
Not really bothered, it’s just a great start  :)
Posted by: Fishy clapper, January 4, 2020, 5:40pm; Reply: 2
I’m thanking the white witch
Posted by: denni266, January 4, 2020, 5:41pm; Reply: 3
Kama,, for the sending off. Great win and took loads of preasure off the team now for a bit .
Posted by: WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP, January 4, 2020, 5:43pm; Reply: 4
bit of everything and Holloway isn't short on giving credit to limbrick, loved his post match interview
Posted by: geir, January 4, 2020, 5:44pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from dicko995
This is gonna be the biggest topic count going.  So, we win 1-0 away at Mansfield. We have 10 men for 80 minutes of the game, quick substitution, and we get 3 points. So.… is it Olly closeness, AL,s help. a bit of luck, the lads playing their hearts out, ref decisions, a bad Mansfield team?, its all yours. Are we under the spell of success?, I admit its a great start from Olly, but was it his doing?, all yours :)

I watched the game today and I would say that the boys really gave their all and they were obviously tired at the end. Does it have anything to do with Holloway? Yes, I think they played for their manager today but also for the fans and Waterfall. Don`t think it was luck at all - they really showed some fighting spirit and some skill to take this one home.
I am really excited to see how this will turn out when they`ve had some rest, some more training with Olly and when they once again will be playing with 11 men. Could be a really good second half of the season. No reason to not be an optimist! :-)
Posted by: cjbill, January 4, 2020, 5:46pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from dicko995

I honestly think it’s a combination of all of those points.
Posted by: Les Brechin, January 4, 2020, 5:51pm; Reply: 7
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p07zjjp0
Posted by: rancido, January 4, 2020, 6:09pm; Reply: 8
It enough posters get involved it could be a massdebate !
Posted by: sonofmadeleymariner, January 4, 2020, 6:12pm; Reply: 9
Yeah a bit of everything. I did think Holloway got his subs spot on and timed right. Pollock, Davis, Hendrie, Gibson and then Clifton were men possessed at the back today really help. No one was ever really caught out of possission and we looked really well drilled in how to play with 10 men. Not to mention that little bit of luck you always need.
Posted by: Rik e B, January 4, 2020, 6:19pm; Reply: 10
Not to forget Wifey Kim, our resident white witch, she'll bring that Lady Luck when our battleweary warriors need it most! ✨✨✨
Posted by: hampshiremariner, January 4, 2020, 7:51pm; Reply: 11
Ian Holloway is one of life’s enthusiasts and it is great to have such a high profile manager. He has given everyone a lift and we even had a Sky reporter at Mansfield giving live updates on TV. Holloway relates to ordinary people and to hear him talk about disabilities is moving. I don’t think we could have got anyone better and I hope it all works out. We should not expect miracles but getting up the table initially and making us look forward to watching the games will be enough for me. It is about time GTFC had a morale booster and I want to thank everyone who has brought this about. Thank you, thank you.
Posted by: Jaws, January 4, 2020, 8:00pm; Reply: 12
Think it's a combination of the above. Be very suprised if IH has instilled anything big tactically, think he's only lead training once, maybe twice. Played with some heart & desire which is all most town fans want and that was probably the difference.

In truth we've got 6 points from Akheem's scuffed shot and a Mansfield player getting on the end of a cross... we're still not clinical but if this is where we're at now then I'm looking forward to seeing us improve. This league isn't anything special if we can  go 15 without a win then win 2 on the bounce.

It's a grand time to be a town fan, it may or may not be the start of something special but I'll enjoy it while it lasts.
Posted by: The Yard Dog, January 4, 2020, 8:11pm; Reply: 13
Its what Mr Holloway brings to the table, experience as a player and manager, contacts, media exposure etc.

For moment the doom and gloom has been lifted around BP and been replaced with Holloway sparkle.
Posted by: cmackenzie4, January 4, 2020, 8:14pm; Reply: 14
I’d say it’s a bit of all those things but I think the main one will be the belief instilled in them by IH 👍
Posted by: 28195 (Guest), January 4, 2020, 8:17pm; Reply: 15
The bloke is infectious, one of those people who inspire and lift others. A good manager.
Posted by: Gaffer58, January 4, 2020, 8:41pm; Reply: 16
What I like about him is he talks from the heart, says it as he see’s it, without any mumbo jumbo. I think it’s how he gets his messages over to the players, he speaks plainly and instils faith in them, and I would be very surprised if he ever uses PowerPoint to get his message over.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, January 4, 2020, 9:09pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from Gaffer58
What I like about him is he talks from the heart, says it as he see’s it, without any mumbo jumbo. I think it’s how he gets his messages over to the players, he speaks plainly and instils faith in them, and I would be very surprised if he ever uses PowerPoint to get his message over.

Especially on the radio...
Posted by: gobby, January 4, 2020, 9:29pm; Reply: 18
I have never seen opposition supporters waiting to see our manager and then getting autographs and photos from him as he walked to the dugouts. The man just brings charisma and charm. 8)
UTMM
Posted by: HertsGTFC, January 4, 2020, 9:54pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from dicko995

All of the above 😉
Posted by: moosey_club, January 4, 2020, 9:55pm; Reply: 20
Luck IMO. we havnt had a lot this season so due a bit really....but as the saying goes...the harder you work the luckier you get.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, January 4, 2020, 9:57pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from gobby
I have never seen opposition supporters waiting to see our manager and then getting autographs and photos from him as he walked to the dugouts. The man just brings charisma and charm. 8)
UTMM

Yes I saw that and when he was appointed there where lots of fans from bigger clubs coming out saying that they wished their club had appointed him.
Posted by: Rik e B, January 4, 2020, 10:00pm; Reply: 22
Well he's our little gem now, he's on the board just about and talks about being here a long long time 🤗
Posted by: RichMariner, January 4, 2020, 10:09pm; Reply: 23
He's a sound guy. He'd have made his money from his time in the Premier League (or getting Blackpool and Palace there) but deep down he's a working class bloke who's done good.

I think we've got him at a time where he can reflect on past mistakes. He's spoken about his departure from Plymouth, to Leicester, which he regrets. He has children with disabilities but has worked hard to balance his job(s) with the needs of his family, and I think we can all respect and relate to that.

These 18 months he's had out of the game seem to have reinvigorated his passion. You can tell he's desperate to succeed again, somewhere, and his efforts seem genuine. Buying shares in the club... he's not 'passing through'.

I initially thought that even if we got Holloway as manager, he'd be on his way as soon as he achieved any sort of success with us. But the way he speaks makes me think he'd stick around even if we won the league next season - even if other clubs come into him.

Creating a legacy seems to be at the top of his agenda. Hopefully he gets what he wants from this, and if he does then, well, we'll all be happy too!
Posted by: Rik e B, January 4, 2020, 10:41pm; Reply: 24
I remember tuning in to my sporting life on talksport while dropping kids off one time and he was on. Now I'm usually like Oh God boring and switch off but this guy was truly captivating; the struggle and strife he's been through with his disabled daughters while carving out a successful career.

He's a true warrior hell bent on self improvement and leading the greatest life possible, a real passion for existence and leaving some kind of legacy to make people proud of him and remember him fondly (a mantra he repeating now).

Strangely he has his own insecurities and inner demons that he not done enough, he not good enough yet, but I guess that's just the sign of a true winner - there's always more to strive for.

Ive been on the self improvement train and found parts truly inspiring, what a great motivational speaker I thought - even though that's that what he was really trying to do.

No wonder he eeks higher level performances out of the player's under him and others are desperate to play for him again, like I say infectiously inspirational.

I'd be more than content with a life lived having achieved half, a quarter of what he has and never mind about money but he still thirsty for more more more. The man is destined for greatness, little did I realise he would end up commandeering GTFC for his vision of going down in folklore.

Woo hoo! 🤗 If we have a little blip I think its imperitive we stick by him. To go down in folklore he'll be thinking big, Championship at least, pushing for Premier.

Let's buckle up and enjoy.
Posted by: bawarmy, January 4, 2020, 10:46pm; Reply: 25
I said after Macc scored against us that Town wasn’t worth supporting. I take it all back. They are now. I’m as excited as I’ve I’ve ever been in my 41 years of supporting town. It might go belly up but it’s going to be fun.
Print page generated: April 24, 2024, 3:43am